3D Flying Discuss everything related to "3D" flying including construction, power setups and flying techniques

3D project

Old 09-12-2008, 11:31 PM
ekdenton
highdesert flyer

Default 3D project

Thought I would try building an all out 3D type foam plane. I had added some sideforce generators to a cap that I had built and liked how it handled alot better so I found some plans for a nice looking 3D plane and scaled it down to the size that I like 26". I think the plan that I started with was a 3D plane called Diablo?? Something like that anyway. Then I designed and added the side force generators to the wings. I have a cnc router that makes it a little easier to cutt out but takes longer for the first one. Wish I had some nice depron to make one out of but this will do for initial try.
Attached Thumbnails Click image for larger version

Name:	dsc00139 (2).jpg
Views:	163
Size:	204.6 KB
ID:	77933   Click image for larger version

Name:	3D project.jpg
Views:	187
Size:	251.6 KB
ID:	77934  
Old 09-12-2008, 11:55 PM
TDisaster
Super Contributor

Looks great! If you want to on a later version try the "slotted" wings by the sfg's. Really somooth out harriers.
Scroll down and look at Manuel Santos' plane.
http://flightpass.higherplaneproduct...g2_itemId=9401
Old 09-13-2008, 12:37 AM
ekdenton
highdesert flyer

Hmm I could see somthing on the leading edge wing tips but couldn't tell from the thumbnail what they were. Guess it is a pay type website if you want to see a larger photo. Are there any foam planes with those on them?
Old 09-13-2008, 01:38 AM
TDisaster
Super Contributor

Yup, most people say it stabilizes your harriers. I've flow a few with that and really like it. I'll have to look around for some more pics for ya. Whats you projected AUW for this one?
Old 09-13-2008, 02:21 AM
CHELLIE
Super Contributor

Looks great Keep up the good work, Chellie

PS. Hope your going to paint it PINK
Old 09-13-2008, 06:30 PM
ekdenton
highdesert flyer

Hi 3D, I just weighed it RTF with a 400mA 3s it is 7.4oz. 26" wingspan 23" in length. I have a rimfire 22M on it now with a 9amp ESC. I should probably have a 12 amp ESC for that motor but it is plenty strong with the 9amp on this plane and I think it will conserve some battery. Not sure what size prop will be good yet, I threw an 8 x 3.8 on it for now.

CHELLIE,
Thanks, I seem to be improving each time a make another one. Pink would shure be easier to see in the sky than the blue, but I am not sure I could take the harrasement from the guys flying a pink one.

I crashed my foam Cap this morning full speed down into a rack of steel. I think I just had a senior moment flying and lost control. Oh well I guess it happens some times.
Old 09-14-2008, 04:12 AM
ekdenton
highdesert flyer

I got it up and flying today it was successfull. It went straight and level first flight. I think I gave it 2 clicks up elevator trim was all. It seems to do everything good except for when I try to hover it tends to want to yaw left or right. I think I just need to adjust the CG a little.

On a side note I have had two of the towerpro servos now that have been defective. I switched to blue arrow servos and I have longer throws and they center alot better. The towerpro servos were way off center and if you try to move the servo horn to the next notch it is off the other direction. One that I had on the ailerons of a foam plane would center in one position then move the transmitter stick and the servo would center in a tottally differnt spot (talk about hair raising flying when that happens). The last one had more throw in one direction than it had in the other, I had all down elevator and very very little up elevator (less than single rates) Didn't matter where you put the servo horn it did the same thing. Guess I will stick to the higher priced servos from now on.
Old 09-14-2008, 01:16 PM
sailfl

When I get my MM machine built, I am going to be requesting some cut plans and some assistance with the hardware. I like what you have built so far. I found a Parkflyer Pete that I think I would like to cut and fly.
Old 09-15-2008, 04:03 PM
EDFrules
GravesRC enabler d:)

Here's some XFC pics of Manuels plane. Looks like he wanted a little more "bite" to his rolling manuevers in the thinner air in Mexico City(mile high) so he adapted his Dalton for SFG's. Cliks use the leading edge extension and SFG's as well. Tried out the Dogtooth leading edge on my full fuse Clik too-seems to work great. Will be trying out other aerodynamic fun stuff too.
Originally Posted by 3Disaster View Post
Looks great! If you want to on a later version try the "slotted" wings by the sfg's. Really somooth out harriers.
Scroll down and look at Manuel Santos' plane.
http://flightpass.higherplaneproduct...g2_itemId=9401

Name:	Dalton with SFG's.jpg
Views:	128
Size:	25.1 KB
ID:	78177   Click image for larger version

Name:	Dalton with SFG's 2.jpg
Views:	135
Size:	49.1 KB
ID:	78178   Click image for larger version

Name:	Dalton with SFG's 3.jpg
Views:	134
Size:	39.4 KB
ID:	78179   Click image for larger version

Name:	Clik 3D dogtooth detail 2.JPG
Views:	112
Size:	60.2 KB
ID:	78180   Click image for larger version

Name:	Clik 3P Blake Hilson color scheme 2.JPG
Views:	132
Size:	89.4 KB
ID:	78181  

Click image for larger version

Name:	Glamour3D7.jpg
Views:	130
Size:	40.4 KB
ID:	78182  
Old 09-15-2008, 06:01 PM
ekdenton
highdesert flyer

Originally Posted by sailfl View Post
When I get my MM machine built, I am going to be requesting some cut plans and some assistance with the hardware. I like what you have built so far. I found a Parkflyer Pete that I think I would like to cut and fly.
Sure I can send you what I have. (not much yet since I am just starting with the foam)

I went to this website:
http://plans.aerofred.com/

they have over 12,000 plans free for personal use. What I did was looked for a foam plane that fit the type flying that I am interested in now (3D), and took the plan and scaled it to fit the size motor and ESC and batteries that I have been using. For me 22"-28" is a good size.
Old 09-15-2008, 06:13 PM
ekdenton
highdesert flyer

Originally Posted by EDFrules View Post
Here's some XFC pics of Manuels plane. Looks like he wanted a little more "bite" to his rolling manuevers in the thinner air in Mexico City(mile high) so he adapted his Dalton for SFG's. Cliks use the leading edge extension and SFG's as well. Tried out the Dogtooth leading edge on my full fuse Clik too-seems to work great. Will be trying out other aerodynamic fun stuff too.
Okay I can see now what they are, shouldn't be hard at all adjust my drawings to make those. Looks like my SFG's are larger so if I go to 4 instead of three maybe I should decrease the size slightly? I was just guessing on the size of mine.

That picture of the click is interesting, the extended leading edge is alot longer than the ones on Dalton's. It looks longer than the ones on Donatas Pavzvolis's Sultmate also. What does the small fin just behind the canopy do?
Old 09-15-2008, 07:14 PM
EDFrules

If you go to the Clik 52" wingspan thread or Project Bipe-X thread that has most of the info that I've gleaned over the past year or so working with the Clik design. Don't mean to hijack your thread.
I would fly what you've got installed already=see how you like it and then move on with other mods from there if needed. There have been several similar designs to yours that folks have stuck on SFG's and reported better flight characteristics. I'm an SFG nut so I can back that up. I get a kick out of people who buy planes that already come with removable SFG's and they won't even try them out! Who would want something that improves your planes handling and helps your flying?! Too funny. The T-wing Canalizer was tested out by CPLR (World Champion FAI pilot) and is used to smooth the airflow coming over the canopy and redirect it straighter over the tailfeathers. He's got one now that looks like a 1/4 of a wing instead of a little t-fin. Kewwl! If he'd doing it along with others you know it works. It really helps out with yaw and flat turns. More of a pattern thing. Here's a vid of it being tested and a pic of the new plane by CPLR.
[media]http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=pl7DdMNNxPw[/media]
[media]http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=KZBPgUNuxwc[/media]

Name:	CPLR Axiom.jpg
Views:	107
Size:	49.5 KB
ID:	78196   Click image for larger version

Name:	CPLR_Fin.jpg
Views:	110
Size:	96.1 KB
ID:	78197  
Old 09-15-2008, 07:47 PM
ekdenton
highdesert flyer

Cool videos, wish I could fly like that

Flying the white plane in the clouds on the first video looks like a real challange, +add flying over the lake.
Old 09-15-2008, 07:52 PM
EDFrules

Long as theres some stripes on the bottom and a dark cockpit, my buddy Blake doesn't seem to have a problem. He flies when it's so dark all you can see is the LED on the ESC! That's partly why I painted it in the second video to give it more side recognition.
Here's the other plane I saw that has about the same SFG's as yours.

Name:	iHobby_Expo_042.jpg
Views:	104
Size:	98.2 KB
ID:	78226  

Last edited by EDFrules; 09-16-2008 at 06:04 AM.
Old 09-16-2008, 04:18 PM
ekdenton
highdesert flyer

Hey that is a nice design also.
Old 09-17-2008, 05:51 PM
ekdenton
highdesert flyer

Okay I have the updated version with extended leading edge on the wing and additional smaller SFG's on the ends of the wings. I have the tool path set up and ready to make some foam dust haha! I bet it will do some nice 3D flying now. I will make one for my neigbor who generously supplied me with some foam but will wait to make one for myself. Thinking of ordering some Depron to make one out of.

Name:	3D part 2.jpg
Views:	109
Size:	66.0 KB
ID:	78312  
Old 09-17-2008, 06:47 PM
EDFrules

Keep us posted. Good thing you're not local, I would be knocking at your door all the time. "Can ekdenton come out and play with the foamcutter?" LOL
Old 09-17-2008, 09:43 PM
TDisaster
Super Contributor

Try some 3mm depron for an indoor one and a scaled up 6mm for an outdoor!
Old 09-18-2008, 12:49 AM
ekdenton
highdesert flyer

Originally Posted by 3Disaster View Post
Try some 3mm depron for an indoor one and a scaled up 6mm for an outdoor!
I ordered some depron of both sizes to make some planes out of but I want to use the cheaper foam to experiment with until I know what I want to make for sure. May have to break out more carbon for a 3mm plane

I really like the one below also and think if I built an indoor flyer I would like to combine some of the ideas from both planes into one. I like the brakes on this one for an indoor flyer and the way the wing and fuselage brace are one peice (cutts down on foam and weight). If I do an indoor flyer, brakes would be awesome (well for me anyway)

Name:	DMS892-2.jpg
Views:	96
Size:	44.5 KB
ID:	78335  
Old 09-18-2008, 01:32 AM
EDFrules

In lieu of carbon on a sub 4oz. plane you can string it with kevlar. Kind of a maddening process but it works and keeps it super lite. Available at fly fishing stores or you can use Power Pro or Spiderwire braided line. The only drawback with the latter 2 is they are self lubricated and will eventually slide free but they work. My 2 cents

Name:	Mini-Clik 3.JPG
Views:	165
Size:	86.9 KB
ID:	78336   Click image for larger version

Name:	Mini-Clik 6.JPG
Views:	117
Size:	77.6 KB
ID:	78337  
Old 09-18-2008, 05:09 PM
ekdenton
highdesert flyer

I noticed on the Nexus that you can see part of a carbon rod under one wing, it looks like it goes from fuselage to the SFG's under the wing? I wonder if that is in addition to having a carbon rod within the wing itself?

That mini click is pretty nice looking. Looks like both your elevator and rudder is pull/pull with the string. When you use a system like that how do you attatch the string to the foam. Also how do you attatch and tension on the rudder and elevator strings to keep the slack out, I haven't looked close at systems like that yet. Looks like for the ailerons you did the carbon heat shrinked to metal ends?

WOW the Nexus is $99 that is pricey for some foam pcs.

Last edited by ekdenton; 09-18-2008 at 07:18 PM.
Old 09-18-2008, 07:30 PM
EDFrules

The pull/pull system on the Mini-Clik uses lite ply horns with a little CA soaked in around the holes for better wear protection. Used Power Pro 10lb. test(2lb dia.) line and used small crimps to tension up the line. I used a little Power Pro wrapped around the wire Z-bend,CA'd in place instead of heat shrink. The Clik needs to have all equipment forward for CG purposes so pull/pull is a must. Also you might consider milling out surfaces with a Dremel to decrease weight.
Originally Posted by ekdenton View Post
I noticed on the Nexus that you can see part of a carbon rod under one wing, it looks like it goes from fuselage to the SFG's under the wing? I wonder if that is in addition to having a carbon rod within the wing itself?

That mini click is pretty nice looking. Looks like both your elevator and rudder is pull/pull with the string. When you use a system like that how do you attatch the string to the foam. Also how do you attatch and tension on the rudder and elevator strings to keep the slack out, I haven't looked close at systems like that yet. Looks like for the ailerons you did the carbon heat shrinked to metal ends?

WOW the Nexus is $99 that is pricey for some foam pcs.
Old 09-20-2008, 12:48 AM
ekdenton
highdesert flyer

If I do 3mm depron version also and mill out some of the foam, I could cutt over half the weight of the 6mm + whatever the part I mill out weighs. For an indoor plane what kind of servos, motor, ESC and battery would be a good match?

Name:	3d plane2.1.jpg
Views:	96
Size:	84.4 KB
ID:	78516  
Old 09-20-2008, 02:27 AM
EDFrules

Depends on size and AUW of your plane. Hard to quess accurately what the AUW might be. Sometimes with prototypes you have to build them up with all the equipment and then get AUW and figure out what motor/prop/packs are needed.
Milling also has it's disadvantages too. Sometimes it gives adverse coupling to the milled side. Milled a Clik and it needed the milling skinned over with clear saran wrap to get rid of the coupling. On Bipe-X I ended up facing the ailerons together to cancel out coupling and covering over elevator. For indoor planes it might not affect them as much as outdoor planes.

Name:	Bipe X Bottom scheme.JPG
Views:	85
Size:	110.3 KB
ID:	78524   Click image for larger version

Name:	Bipe-X milled tailfeathers.JPG
Views:	94
Size:	124.6 KB
ID:	78525  
Old 09-24-2008, 10:14 PM
ekdenton
highdesert flyer

Originally Posted by CHELLIE View Post
Looks great Keep up the good work, Chellie

PS. Hope your going to paint it PINK
I couldn't see the bluecore at all, it was camoflouged in the blue sky's of NM. So I picked up what I thought was flourecent red but it was actually pink so I thought I would post a couple of photos for you. This is design #2, I haven't maidened it yet but I am sure it will fly well since the first design did great. I have some depron on the way but wanted to try the wing extensions and extra SFG's before I cutt the depron up.

Name:	3d foam plane.jpg
Views:	98
Size:	329.8 KB
ID:	79112   Click image for larger version

Name:	3d foam plane bottom.jpg
Views:	158
Size:	355.2 KB
ID:	79113  

Quick Reply: 3D project

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service - Do Not Sell My Personal Information -

Copyright 2018 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.

Page generated in 0.19585 seconds with 33 queries