Power Systems Talk about motors, ESC speed controllers, gear drives, propellers, power system simulators and all power system related topics

best power system for 90mm EDF?

Old 01-07-2009, 04:13 AM
anhourlater

Default best power system for 90mm EDF?

g'day all,whats the best power set up on a 90mm EDF.thinking about importing an oakdale F14.oakdale suggest 1000w motors.i want to know whats the most power a 4 blade EDF can handle.i would be using the model engines DF and iv been told that you can get up to 20+lb from these fan units.
Old 01-07-2009, 06:18 AM
Larry3215
Look out for that tree!!!

20 pounds is not realistic on a 90mm fan.

10 pounds or so is about it and your going to need around a 3000 watt power system to do it.

1000 watts into a 90mm fan will only get you maybe 4 pounds of thrust.

As far as "best" that depends on your definition of whats best. Do you want max power or lowest weight or lowest cost or?? Before you can answer any of those you need to ask what the budget is and how much thrust or power are you looking for.
Old 01-07-2009, 06:48 AM
anhourlater

cheers larry,im not thinking about the budget on this F14.i want as much power and speed as possible!if i could get over 200kph
(160mph)i would be stoked!being a twin DF with two 3000w motors would thay be inrunners or outrunners as in OZ we cant get inrunners of that wattage so i would have to import them.what about esc's.do your think CC 110HV's would cover these motors.what about lipo's?10s-12s?im not sure with the DF's on how far you can go with them befor thay start to cav out.
Old 01-07-2009, 07:20 AM
Larry3215

Well, if money is no object... that makes things much easier - but not really any simpler

Batteries that can put out 6000 watts comfortably and for more than 2 minutes are going to be bulky and heavy. How much room do you have in that Jet for packs? That may well be your biggest limiting factor.

I would recomend you go 12S to keep the amps down as much as possible so yes the HV110's would be fine.

Even then, 3000 watts per motor means means each motor will be drawing around 70-75 amps at full bore, so your packs need to be able to deliver 150 + amps comfortably. You could also do 2 seperate packs with each delivery the 75 amps needed. Thats a lotta juice!

Id recomend some 12S 4500-5000 mahr 30C packs. Get some dimensions and see if they will fit.

To be clear - thats a 12S1P 5000 mahr pack for EACH motor.

The next question - if they DO fit - will the plane balance at the correct CG with that much weight at that location?

If those answers look good then you can decide which fan you want to use and then you can finally make a decision on which motor will work with that particular fan on 12S at that power level.

There are a few very nice 90mm fans out there. Schubler, Stumax and Tamjets for starters.

For motors you will have to go with an inrunner. Outrunners are too inefficient and dont work nearly as well as inrunners in large fans. Too much rotating mass unsupported too far back in the fan. But mostly they just are not as efficient.

At those power levels you will want a Neu or Lehner or Hacker etc. One of the better brands. Id recomend a Neu above the others.

But motor selection is way down the line yet. Each fan will need a different kv depending on the pack selected and the power output you want - so you need to find out what will fit in the plane and will it balance - first.
Old 01-07-2009, 07:31 AM
Larry3215

By the way - if your in Oz Id talk to the guys at ExtremeRC. The head guy has a lot of experience with EDF's and knows what he is talking about.

http://www.extremerc.com.au/

He hangs out around here occationally and goes under the name of ExtremeRC.

http://www.wattflyer.com/forums/member.php?u=6139
Old 01-07-2009, 07:39 AM
anhourlater

cheers larry,your da man!im waiting on the jet to arrive from US.may take a while as im having it shipped buy see too save a few hundred dollars on transport of this beast.im going to start searching for the stuff i need now.do some homework on these motors.already have the esc's.will just need the motors,battery packs & the rest i have laying around my hanger.(the garage)thanks for steering me in the right direction
Old 01-07-2009, 07:44 AM
anhourlater

iv been to the extremerc website.thay have some awsome jets.il send them an email or better still il give them a ring.they didnt have the F14 though thats why i had to get it from the states.many happy landings larry.cheers greg
Old 01-07-2009, 08:13 AM
Larry3215

Good luck and post some pics when you get it!
Old 01-07-2009, 08:41 AM
anhourlater

no worries larry.will do.been looking for the motors already.might have to go the lehner motors as the nue are all sold out.the lehner motors i was just looking at are 2000-3000w6turn.already looked at the schubler DF.there hot in the carbon fiber fiber.in the end i might just get the plug'n'play shubler fans.that way i dont have to worry about the balancing side of things as i hear thats the most important things with the DF.im still looking though so i can make the right choice when the F-14 gets here.cheers mate greg