Beginners - Helis A forum where beginners can get help on the fundamentals for experts who know their stuff!

Venom Night Ranger 3D No Lift

Old 03-18-2006, 03:52 AM
en1gma

Unhappy Venom Night Ranger 3D No Lift

I've just made the transition from planes to helicopters and realised that it's much harder than it looks. I made a mistake by getting the Night Ranger 3D instead of a fixed pitch but am committed now.

My main problem is that as a newbie I've done the obvious and crashed it sideways even with the training gear, and this had caused the See-Saw ball joints to break. I've repaired these with metal ball joints and everything looks to move correctly. Trouble is, I have to set the PZT to maximun negative (very low battery life) and PLT to about half way to get any lift. Even then, I can't get more than a few inches off the ground. When I move the PZT setting, I can see the blades changing pitch so I know that they are working OK. It's starting to get really frustrating because I've had about 2 minutes of flight and 2 hours or repairs. Anyone else experienced this kind of problem?

I'm also finding that several of the grubb screws are coming loose and in fact the ones holding the main mast to the gear have gone resulting in yet another few days of no flight until they are replaced.
Old 03-18-2006, 04:09 AM
en1gma

In addition, I've disconnected the motors and checked the collective pitch when throttle is applied. Appears to be working fine so I'm stumped???!!!!!!
Old 04-18-2006, 01:17 AM
darkside212
Super Contributor

sounds like you need to reset your tx settings to the original setup....
locktite all your screws...that should keep them in.
Old 05-12-2006, 04:06 PM
Sleepstalker
Hover....Hover....DOH!!..

Default Venom

Check your pinion gear on your motor shaft....might be slipping if so locktite it back on..
Old 05-12-2006, 04:59 PM
darkside212
Super Contributor

Thats a good point..I've had the set screw on the main gear loosen multiple times..
Old 05-17-2006, 10:53 PM
Ah Clem

Locktite all metal to metal fasteners, including the knurled nut underneath the yoke.Is it flying properly yet?
Old 12-07-2006, 11:48 PM
tocix

it sounds like your pitch is not correctly set
Try removing the swash plate arms and turn them to adjust the swash plate to centre it to gain more or less pitch.
On my venom the pitch was outa whack and did experience the same issues,
after correcting the swash plate to the centre of the shafts travel zone i acheived much more thrust.
also in the aluminium head block 7718 need a little strip of paper in the side of the the SQAURE INSERT"the peice where the grub screw is" to help with rotor slop.
double check paddles and pitch with a pitch gauge to effectivly eliminate and difference, and check tracking at full speed by using a RED and BLUE texta to stop alteration of tracking balance instead of using tape."tape can often change the weight of the wing if placed incorrectly.
Even try to measure GAP distances on the servo arms may help start a level feild.
Hope this helps
Old 09-01-2008, 12:00 AM
Rick Ramrod

Geez, I know what you mean. I just got the NR3D as my first heli, and I'll tell you one thing for sure. China makes really really really crappy parts. I've had about 45 seconds of flight time on mine, and I've already torn up 3 sets of rotor blades, 2 of the hubs with the set screw that holds the main gear to the mast, and on top of that I was sent a heli with parts missing. The main mast collar that sits between the main gear and the bearing. I didn't realize it was even missing since I am new to the heli madness. When I tried to fly the first time it jumped 6 ft in the air and I freaked. when that happened the 2nd and 3rd time I started to wonder. Sure enough, I noticed that the main gear was jumping up about an 1/8th of an inch when I throttled up. It literally went from 0 degrees pitch to full pitch with nothing in between. now that I've spent almost 100.00 on replacement parts, I'm getting to the point where I'm about to call venom and demand a new heli. This is supposed to be fun right? that's what I've been told. I've been flying fixed wing for 15 years now. Helis seem like they could be really cool....or so I've been told.
Old 09-01-2008, 01:52 AM
HeliG
T-Rex Pilot

Rick, you are bringing up a dead thread but if I were you, I would push to get my money back and look for a different heli. There are some good helis out there to get you going - but remember that whatever you get (aside from a coax heli), it is a tough learning curve.
Old 09-01-2008, 06:29 AM
HeliG
T-Rex Pilot

Rick,
I'm sorry if my post sounded negative. I wasn't trying to come across that way. I've heard some horror stories about the NR3D. If it is working for you then that is great but I was just trying to offer a suggestion since it hasn't been functioning appropriately. Anyway, we are here to help and hopefully you can get it worked out either way.