General Electric Discussions Talk about topics related to e-powered RC flying

Effect of Using Battery Adapter Cords

Old 09-19-2014, 09:45 PM
garyp1029

Default Effect of Using Battery Adapter Cords

To what extent does using a 2"-3" long battery connector adapter cable (rather than cutting off the original connector and soldering on the connector of choice) effect the flow of power getting to the motor? Significantly? Makes little difference? Thanks. Gary
Old 09-19-2014, 09:57 PM
pmullen503
Super Contributor

If the wire is adequately sized and the connections sound, it makes a negligible difference. Do the wiring and connectors stay cool? Then don't worry.
Old 09-19-2014, 10:29 PM
fhhuber
Super Contributor

Maybe a few hundredths of an ohm of added resistance, resulting in a nearly impossible to measure reduction of power.

A well made adapter is not a problem.

In some cases I need over 2 FEET of wire between battery and ESC... then the issue is an inductance spike which makes it a good idea to add more capacitors.
Still negligible effect on power.
Old 09-20-2014, 06:33 AM
Wrongway-Feldman

I wouldn't worry too much about using them. I got tired of changing the ends of every ESC and battery I bought and now have adapters that go from every type of connector to any other type.
For most applications you won't have a problem. When you get to the high amp configurations just make sure the adapter is rated for the power draw.
Old 09-20-2014, 12:56 PM
Siberianhusky

Using an adapter won't amke much difference as people have said, but I find it much easier to standardize on a single type of connector and use them on every similar sized setup.
Most plane guys seem to hate them but I always use plain old bullet connectors, same size on motors and batteries. Hold over from running a lot of electric boats, use 6.5mm bullets for the boats. Big amp loads!
Connectors are much cheaper if you buy from a big electronics supply house in "bulk" can get 20 sets for less than 3 sets from a hobby shop. I buy from Digikey.
Old 09-20-2014, 07:15 PM
road king 97
old hat

I bought one connector changing deans to the blue things e-flight batterys use and it flew the same on my sons apprentice . I could have just cut the battery plug end off and changed it to deans but iam getting lazy in my old age. lol joe
Old 09-20-2014, 07:20 PM
JetPlaneFlyer
Super Contributor

Yeah, unless you are pulling sky high current through the wires it's not going to make any significant difference.
I personally prefer to solder on the correct connector, more to keep the installation neat and tidy than for any performance concern.
Old 09-20-2014, 07:29 PM
road king 97
old hat

Originally Posted by JetPlaneFlyer View Post
Yeah, unless you are pulling sky high current through the wires it's not going to make any significant difference.
I personally prefer to solder on the correct connector, more to keep the installation neat and tidy than for any performance concern.
Yep i do to but on smaller planes or a trainer its not going to hurt anything. If it was a 90 size electrict heli then thats another story . I have a friend flying them that big and i stand back when they plug the batterys to the esc because of large sparking . lol joe
Old 09-20-2014, 07:37 PM
solentlife
Super Contributor

I have adaptors ... I use both Deans and XT60's ...

The Deans are slightly smaller than XT60's ... and suit some of my models better. There are times I want to use those Deans batts in my XT60 machines ...

My only concern with adaptors - is the extra connection and risk of lost power ... but careful use and make-up - sees little problem.

Nigel
Old 09-20-2014, 07:55 PM
road king 97
old hat

Yea i found a adapter with thicker wire and bought it when i did it as to try and not loose any power . joe