Honey Bee CP2 - Vibration problems - WattFlyer RC Electric Flight Forums - Discuss radio control eflight

Beginners - Helis A forum where beginners can get help on the fundamentals for experts who know their stuff!

Honey Bee CP2 - Vibration problems

Old 09-23-2008, 07:15 PM
Baldi - CP2

Default Honey Bee CP2 - Vibration problems

Hi all,
This looks like a great forum with lots of knowledgable people so I thought I would see if anyone could help me with my CP2 vibration problem.

I just bought a CP2 last week after mastering a co-axle heli. What a difference!!! It is a lot more difficult than I ever imagined... I started trying it in my basement and found that it is much more sensative than the co-axle and very hard to even hover let alone get it off the ground.

After a few attempts, I thought the problem was lack of space so I decided to take it outside on a fairly calm night. What a mistake. I flew it (using the word flew very lightly) about 10 feet in the air and then crashed it upside down pretty hard. It landed right on the main rotor blades upside down. Now when I start it up, the whole heli is vibrating/shaking a lot. What should I do? The blades seem to be in okay shape but might need balancing. I see a lot of threads mentioning taking the whole head apart and adjusting things but I am brand new to this game and don't know much about it. Are there any good manuals out there that show a parts assembly sheet and how to unassemble these things?

Your help would be greatly appreciated. Thanks!
Old 09-23-2008, 10:12 PM
vortex05
Blade CP, Blade 400

Judging from the type of crash you had the most common areas to check are:

Main shaft,
Feathering spindle
Flybars
Paddle control frame links
Blades ( of course )

Most likely you have a bent spindle, you could have a bent shaft too.
Old 09-24-2008, 03:15 PM
Baldi - CP2

Thanks a lot Vortex05. I am sure one of your suggestions will fix my vib problem. I actually started to undo the head cap screw for the spindle last night and noticed that there is definately a bend in the spindle. That will have to be the first thing I check. Do you think I could just bend it back straight? or should I just order a new one? for removal, do you think I should use the bladecprepair site?

I notice your from Hamilton, ON. LOL - I'm from Kitchener. We're just around the corner from one another. Do you own a HB CP2? If so, where do get parts for yours? I can't find any canadian stores that carry esky parts.

Thanks again Vortex05. Hope to hear from ya.
Cheers!
Old 09-24-2008, 03:55 PM
vortex05
Blade CP, Blade 400

I have a blade CP they are very similar in design.

As for the spindle usually you can bend it back, I would roll it against a glass table to ensure straightness, worst case take a ruler roll it around until you can see where the bend is. However I would caution you to only bend it back about 3 times the more times it's repaired the more flexible and easy to bend it becomes so it's not a good idea to over do it, if it is your first fix I would just bend it. It still has a lot of life.

There are a few parts that Eflite manufacturer's better an at the same time a few parts that Esky has better throught out. Mine's not really what you would call stock anymore I've replaced the standard mosfets (silicon chips) in the 4 in 1 so now instead of a max 24A on the motor before she blows I can source up to 42A, the tail alone is allowed 21A. After doing that I have a team Orion slow max powerplant in her. Unfortuately I'm not used to all this extra power when I used to full throttle the heli would do a quick altitude punch out but slow down as it started lifting. This new configuration behaves like a trex without the stability, the headspeed sounds a lot quicker too.

Stores?... Well the only local one is "skycraft" they tend to be over expensive when it comes to heli's and they only sell blade parts so you'd have to make sure the part your getting is a blade compatable (shouldn't be a problem a lot of my parts are now CP2 parts). However I must admit I get most of my parts online from stores and sometimes ebay it might not make sense if your crashing every day but I haven't really had a major incident that left me waiting on parts for the last 2 years.

That said I still can't fly nose in with this new motor (I was ok with the old one for a few min at a time) the super fast head speed and response still kinda scares me. Not to mention in the old version a hard altitude punch wouldn't overwhelm the tail motor, this new config has the tail completely overwhelmed sometimes it would spin a quarter turn before catching up when pushing the throttle hard.

It's great to hear a fellow flyer nearish, I've been dying to have a flight day where I can fly with fellow flyers. Unfortunately it looks like it's starting to get cold so we might be getting to the end of this flying season soon.