Indoor & Micro Electric Planes Talk about indoor & Micro electric powered flight here

1 to 3 amps motors?

Old 12-26-2006, 05:40 PM
Phil Alvirez

Exclamation 1 to 3 amps motors?

Hi fellas:
Any idea where to get BRUSHED motors of decent weight (preferably geared), around 1 to 3 amps continuous current?
The purpose is to fit something small (for park flying) to the new Plantraco 4 ch rec that comes ready for brushed motors.
Regards,
~Phil~
Old 12-26-2006, 06:31 PM
soar-ne
Omaha Ne.

Hey Phil:
Im sure that there are many combos out there that will suit your needs. I have used 2 motors in that amp. range, The most common one is the GWS IPS series of motors. They are available in many gear ratios and the little motors are of the 12mm size. Top safe amp for these motors is about 2.1 to 2.3 amps with the GWS heat sink. I try to run mine at around 1.8 to 2 amps for the longest motor life. I use these in scratch foamies that weigh about 5.5 to 9 ounces depending on the wing size ussually 24 to 40 inches.
The second motor I have used is also a GWS, it is the LPS series. It is available in a 4.8v motor and a 7.2v motor and many gear ratios. I used this in a SA Diddle Rod that if I remember right weighed about 4 ounces. I have since sold this one because I am too shakey to work on these small planes and dont have the eye-sight to fly it anymore. Fun little plane though. Most hobby shops carry the IPS size motors as they are used in the pico sticks and tiger moth type of GWS kits.
I would say that the LPS motors would be your best bet for the equipment you are using but am no expert on that small of planes
Good Luck
Bob
Old 12-26-2006, 06:34 PM
Mike_Taylor
Micro Flyer

Geared N-20 motors (Kenway, RoadKill, etc.) draw about an amp and provide about 25 - 30 grams of thrust but weigh about 9 grams. Kenway makes a twin-N-20 gearbox as well that requires ~ 2 amps.

The old M-20-based KP-00s draw about 3/4 amp and weigh 5 grams with 15 grams of thrust. The Kenway versions with GWS 5x3 prop develop slightly more thrust. You could conceivably run a B-17 on 4 of them and stay just at 3 amps...

Some of the GWS motors (as Bob notes above) draw in that range as well, but they weigh so much that using an ultra-light weight RX seems a little wasted.
Old 01-19-2007, 12:10 AM
Phil Alvirez

Bob:
Thanks for the info
Phil