Wattflyer RC Network: RC Universe :: RCU Magazine :: RCU Forums :: RCU Classifieds :: RCU User Reviews :: RCU YouTube
Home Who's Online Calendar Today's Posts RealTime Post Spy Mark Forums Read
Go Back   WattFlyer RC Electric Flight Forums - Discuss radio control eflight > Electric R/C Airplanes > ParkFlyers
Register Members List Wattflyer Extras Articles Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read Social Groups

ParkFlyers Talk about all backyard and parkflyer aircraft here

Thank you for your support (hide ads)

Old 12-21-2017, 11:59 PM   #1
hkeelljr

Friends: (1)
Default Eflite Staggerwing bipe

I am considering a E-Flite Staggerwing Biplane. I have already looked on ebay and didn't find one. anybody got any ideas? I realize that it may be out of production, but what the heck I have always liked the way it looks. And I am in a position to maybe purchase one.
Old 12-22-2017, 01:53 AM   #2
firemanbill
Community Moderator

View firemanbill's Gallery67
Club: Smoky Mountain Aero Club
Awards Showcase

125mph Speed Demon  100mph Speed Demon  2kW  4kW 
Friends: (64)

Check rcgroups classifieds. Probably your best bet.

President - Smoky Mountain Aero Club, Sevierville Tennessee
Old 12-23-2017, 01:47 PM   #3
F22trainer

Friends: (0)

Haven't seen the eFlite version in a while, but there is this at MotionRC:
https://www.motionrc.com/collections...np#reviews-tab
Old 12-25-2017, 04:11 AM   #4
hkeelljr

F22trainer, oh man thanks for the tip. has anyone flown any Roc hobby products? appreciate any feedback.
Old 01-10-2018, 03:21 AM   #5
hkeelljr

Been looking around the old webs, come across one put out by FMS, a little pricey, although several other planes have caught my eye, as in the Stinson Reliant SR10. I've always like the looks of the wings and also there is an Wildcat,WWII, avalibile. Might just have to pull the trigger on one of them.
Old 01-10-2018, 09:27 AM   #6
Panther
Super Contributor

View Panther's Gallery10
Club: Lockyer Valley Aeromodellers can be found on Facebook.

http://www.porcupinerc.com/FMS-1030m...dio_p_112.html
Old 01-11-2018, 09:59 AM   #7
mclarkson
Super Contributor

View mclarkson's Gallery26
Awards Showcase

AV Contest  Scratchbuilders Award  Outstanding Contributor Award 
Friends: (8)

I'm a bit late to the thread, but I've been really happy with my 1100mm (43.5") Roc Hobby Waco bipe.

Old 01-12-2018, 03:22 AM   #8
hkeelljr

Mclarkson I believe that is one I have also been looking for. If I'm not mistaken that looks just like the one Hobby Lobby International offered several years ago. Thanks for the picture. I want to thank all of you for your input to my quest. Believe it or not just looking for the Staggerwing has already prompted me to start, know haven't even got started good on the Stik model I had started, but I come across some plans for a c/l model of a Wildcat, Hmmm, they are using electric for control line models too now days.
Old 01-18-2018, 03:03 PM   #9
F22trainer

Originally Posted by mclarkson View Post
I'm a bit late to the thread, but I've been really happy with my 1100mm (43.5") Roc Hobby Waco bipe.

That one has caught my eye, as we have a white / rest trim version flying in the morning when I get to work - usually in the pattern at KSDL.
My office is at the SW end of the runway. She sounds so nice and flies so lazy it is very nostalgic.
Old 01-18-2018, 10:37 PM   #10
hkeelljr

Probaly will order the Staggerwing next week due to all the snow in our area. However just on a whim I looked on Amazon and there it was a E-flite Staggerwing! Only slightly higher than the Roc Hobby one, decisions, decisions, decisions... which one to get?
Old 01-23-2018, 02:42 AM   #11
hkeelljr

Well I pulled the trigger on the E-Flite Staggerwing Bipe I discovered on Amazon today, and hopefully it will be here by the weekend. I can probally get a motor at the lhs and maybe a esc. Where might I find a set of retracts for this model. Will a pair of servoless retracts fit this model. Thanks again for the help.
Old 01-23-2018, 03:00 AM   #12
spudandcat

View spudandcat's Gallery4
Club: Twin City Model Aero Club

hiya mate, I don't think they had electric gear thin enough when they made these, that's why the air gear was installed. I reckon you could make a set fit though with a small amount of foam removal. good luck, it's a pretty little kite, I have an old wattage staggerwing and love it.

seeya spud
Old 01-23-2018, 03:07 AM   #13
hkeelljr

Thanks for the tip. I checked the lhs price on the e-flite motor, I like to support it, but headsuphobby has the best. And I relize I already have a 45 amp esc so no need for a new one.
Old 01-27-2018, 03:16 AM   #14
hkeelljr

Well my plane came today by UPS. And the 480 electric motor I ordered from Heads Up Hobby. Now maybe I can find time to assemble everything .
Old 02-06-2018, 05:00 AM   #15
hkeelljr

Started putting the Staggerwing together this morning. Problem no 1: When I got to the flap servo I measured the linkages, to make sure I got the right one. The manual noted to use the 25mm linkage, with clevis assembly. so I connected it up to the servo installed said servo and attached the link. The manual shows a picture of the servo arm straight up the only way I was able to get it to connect was to lay the servo arm almost flat with the wing, so I fiddled around some with it and used and old push rod from some salvage parts and made one that hopefully will work better. The manual also recommends using just a drop of ca to retain the flap servo, would hot glue do just as well? also had problems with the landing gear who ever bent it really bent it to h___. But I managed to get it to where it could be used, otherwise the wheel would be toed out worse than a pair of clown shoes. More updates to come...
Old 02-07-2018, 12:17 AM   #16
hkeelljr

Day 2 of the Staggerwing build. Yep, the instructions say 3-4 hrs, but I build a little bit and do other things in between. The so called salvaged push rod I found, yep, one of the supplied parts lucklly I had one from were I landed the T-28 in a pine tree. It was the nose gear steering push rod. worked just fine with a little modification. Anyway, progressed on with the build and there were several areas that caused problems mainly were the two pins that located the wing on the fuse, top wing, but after scrapping them they fit fine. Finally got everything together, installed the motor, probally will check it out this weekend since I'm off. OK, who watched the test of the Falcon Heavy today, it was AWESOME! And there is a Tesla cherry red roadster circling the earth, the best thing about it its electric.
Old 02-08-2018, 04:38 AM   #17
F22trainer

Lurking :o)
Ran across a few of those Staggerwing on Fleabay, new, and wondered how they might behave with a gyro.
Old 02-09-2018, 11:38 PM   #18
hkeelljr

Short test hop, banked over to the right and it nosed in, but it wasn't very high up, not to much damage. While doing some final assembly, I noticed that the tail wheel strut holder that covers the shaft of the tail wheel and holds everything steady so the rudder will work properly, !#$$%@&%, was missing looked over my work bench and through all of the little plastic bags that the hardware came in, to no avail. And after talking with the Horizon folks that I'd probably have to cobble something up. Oh well, back to the old fiasco hatchery. That's what I like about this hobby, gives a person a chance to use their creative intellect.
Old 02-19-2018, 03:22 AM   #19
hkeelljr

Well I will probably attempt another flight with the Staggerwing soon. Went to local hobby shop and all they had was a APC 10 X 7 PROP. I realize that that the one that came with it was a 10 x 8 but that's all he had, shouldn't make much difference should it. Y'all fly safe out there.
Old 02-20-2018, 01:16 AM   #20
F22trainer

Originally Posted by hkeelljr View Post
Well I will probably attempt another flight with the Staggerwing soon. Went to local hobby shop and all they had was a APC 10 X 7 PROP. I realize that that the one that came with it was a 10 x 8 but that's all he had, shouldn't make much difference should it. Y'all fly safe out there.
Should work fine on 10x7.
I've been flying this 60" span monster (the red trainer) on a Power 10 with a 10x7 initially, now a 10x8 and will probably go back to the 10x7...little less torque and better climb. 1500mah battery.

Attached Images
File Type: jpg IMG_0249.JPG (1.76 MB, 117 views)
Old 03-10-2018, 02:11 AM   #21
F22trainer

Saw this and thought of you:

https://www.amazon.com/Rochobby-Stag...e+servos&psc=1

How does she do? Got her flying ok?
Old 03-10-2018, 03:20 PM   #22
hkeelljr

Thanks, no I haven't gotten back over to the field to fly it yet. Just life interfering as normal. My gout flared up last weekend, but I'll get it out and give it a try. I alos added a 1/4 oz., of lead to the nose as it balances kinda close to the GC. Thanks again.
Old 03-10-2018, 04:30 PM   #23
Wildflyer
Past President of PSSF

Club: Puget Sound Silent Flyers -PSSF & Thurston County Miniature Aircraft Association - TCMAA
Friends: (8)

My dad built a control line version of the Staggerwing many years ago, possibly a Royal kit or one of the Japanese kits that were around in the 60's.

He almost destroyed the thing but some how it flattened out and made a hard landing, just bent the gear.

Years later he gave it to our neighbor kids that we introduced into modeling.
Mike checked the CG and found he had to put about 8oz of lead behind the motor, then it flew great, pulled like a small truck, but flew.

That's when I realized my dad had never checked the CG.

Dave R, KI7MTA Proud PGR rider.
When you have flying skills like mine,
You become a master at repair.

WattFlyer RC Electric Flight Forums - Discuss radio control eflight > Electric R/C Airplanes > ParkFlyers