Radio range - WattFlyer RC Electric Flight Forums - Discuss radio control eflight

Aerial Photography Discuss all aerial photography topics as they relate to rc aircraft

Radio range

Old 12-09-2007, 03:51 PM
Craneman

Default Radio range

I just ordered am FPV system from hobby wireless, it supposed to have over 4 miles range!, now I'm worried about the range on my futaba 9C.. how far can I fly my plane without worrying about that??

Thanks
Old 12-09-2007, 05:10 PM
mtuhoop24

I am not exactly sure how far your radio range will be must for the most part you will loose site of the plane before you loose the range!
Old 12-09-2007, 05:17 PM
Lieutenant Loughead
UNCLUB OWNER

I have this great story I can tell you, but I'll give you the abbreviated version.
  • I lost sight of my GWS Zero.
  • I centered the sticks, cut the throttle, and turned off the transmitter.
  • I jumped in my car, and drove in the direction I last saw the airplane.
  • 20 minutes later, I found the airplane 6/10 of a mile away. (Very light damage.)
  • The receiver determines the range of the radio -- I was using a Hitec Electron 6, with a 1-mile range.
  • I FOR SURE lost sight of the airplane at 6/10 of a mile -- I had full control of the airplane up to the point I lost sight of it.
  • I have "better than perfect" 20/10 vision in both eyes. (Yeah, I wanted to be a fighter pilot.)
The bottom line here is that you will lose sight of your airplane before you will lose radio contact with your airplane. I've flown a LOT of ParkZone (27 MHz "junk") radio systems, and have never lost control of one.
Attached Thumbnails Click image for larger version

Name:	105th_flight.jpg
Views:	196
Size:	170.9 KB
ID:	49048  
Old 12-09-2007, 05:28 PM
FlyingMonkey
Flite Test Fan

I think the problem he finds himself faced with here, is that his visual ranges might extend beyond his transmitter range, because he will be ding FPV, first person view, looking from the plane.

Here's my suggestion. Check google earth. Get a feel for what is within a mile of where you plan to fly from. "Fly" around that area, and get familiar with landmarks from the air. Make sure you can stay within your range of flight on google earth. And remember, the further you are from where you're flying, the harder it will be to find it if there's a problem and you have to go down.
Old 12-09-2007, 06:29 PM
Mike Freas

There are also lots of threads over at RCG on the subject. Just be careful because the AMA has rules against this type of thing. Some guys over there get their panties in a twist when someone flies in unpopulated areas OTH.
Old 12-09-2007, 07:29 PM
FPVpilot

I lose range with mt DX7 at about 1-1/2 miles even though my video will go about 2 miles plus. THis is a good thing because if you lose video first you won't have anything to fly by and your spotter won't be able to help if they can't see it. A co-pilot system would help you and if you lose radio it will take over and RTL (return to launch) and you'll still be watching the video.
Old 12-09-2007, 07:44 PM
Craneman

Ok.. so I should be ok flying 1.5 kms away from "home" right? how do buildings and obstacles affect range, for both video and transmitter?
Old 12-09-2007, 08:03 PM
Crash9
www.FPVpilot.com

Hey Craneman, You'll be fine if you stay within a mile of your bird. The Monkey had some good advice. Are you going to add a OSD with GPS. If your heli goes down this makes recovering it alot easier. Just look at your video and get the GPS info and go right to it. I've had to do this more then once.
Old 12-09-2007, 08:16 PM
FPVpilot

As far as AMA, I wouldn't worry about if your not at an AMA feild or a member. That's the only place there rules are in affect. The FAA is the ruling party for FPV and they say OK as long as you stay under 500 feet and away from airports and other full size aircraft. If you want to go above 500 you'll need a S module, Nav lights and contact with ATC at all times.
Old 12-09-2007, 08:21 PM
Crash9
www.FPVpilot.com

Originally Posted by FPVpilot View Post
S module, Nav lights and contact with ATC at all times.
Man I'd like to see all that gear hanging on your EasyStar with your OSD, GPS and camera gear.
Old 12-09-2007, 09:49 PM
Craneman

I got the most powerful hobby system from hobby wirless, I'm not sure what OSD to get I'm open to sugestions,. A "home" arrow would be a nice feature to have. also what is acompatible gps for the OSD?
Old 12-09-2007, 09:53 PM
Lieutenant Loughead
UNCLUB OWNER

Ahhh -- sorry I misunderstood. :o
Old 12-09-2007, 10:47 PM
FlyingMonkey
Flite Test Fan

Originally Posted by Crash9 View Post
The Monkey had some good advice.
I am going to have to start collecting these.

you're not the first to recognize my genius...
Old 12-09-2007, 11:07 PM
FPVpilot

Originally Posted by Craneman View Post
I got the most powerful hobby system from hobby wirless, I'm not sure what OSD to get I'm open to sugestions,. A "home" arrow would be a nice feature to have. also what is acompatible gps for the OSD?
I think most FPVers would agree that the http://www.intelligentflight.com/store/ has some of the best OSDs with GPS on the market with the fastest update rate (5hz) That's a lot faster GPS updates then the older 4800 buad rate most others are using. FPV aircraft like a heli will need the fastest rate and maybe a artificial horizon like this video below. I don't know if this guy ever started producing it but would be great in a heli. Mike

That beeping in the video would make me nuts.

Old 12-10-2007, 12:24 AM
Lieutenant Loughead
UNCLUB OWNER

Very cool -- but yeah, the beeping is crazy. At first, I thought my computer was messing up... :o

Seems like a solid tone as a stall alert is the only sound you really need...
Old 11-18-2008, 09:54 AM
zoom505

Folks how do buildings and obstacles affect range? I fly FPV in a pretty "hilly" area.

zoom
Old 12-21-2008, 07:07 PM
zoom505

bump
Old 12-21-2008, 07:57 PM
Kirsty_Carnage
A/V + A/P Camera operator

I'm no expert but my fiance is a radio tech by trade, well before becomming a photographer & he says "The higher the frequency, the shorter th wavelength & less distance it will travel. 35Mhz is just above shortwave radio (3MHz - 30MHz) & should get you easy 1 mile, buildings WILL reduce the RF pattern & therefore range".
You could always get an RF amp with 10mw input - 10W output....they will get you plenty of distance, even if it is a touch illegal
Most CB amplifiers will tune to 35MHz quite nicely!

Kirsty xx
Old 12-21-2008, 11:38 PM
CHELLIE
Super Contributor

Originally Posted by Craneman View Post
I just ordered am FPV system from hobby wireless, it supposed to have over 4 miles range!, now I'm worried about the range on my futaba 9C.. how far can I fly my plane without worrying about that??

Thanks
Hi Craneman are you flying with FM or do you have the 2.4 upgrade, with the 2.4 upgrade, i belive your range will be less, FM should give you about 1 mile plus range, and that depends on the terrain, If you have a good line of sight, on FM, you should be ok at 1 mile, I would get a device to locate your plane with too, just incase you should loose it, a homeing device, some thing like this, hope that helps, Chellie

http://www.com-spec.com/rocket/index.html

Old 12-22-2008, 09:45 AM
zoom505

Ladies,

Thks for d info. I feared as much. line of sight is obviously important even if using FPV. Am flying on a 35mhz radio and using 2.4 for the wireless video. Wont be going outside 1km so. Bear in mind in Ireland we are limited on 2.4ghz to 10mw power total.

ugh...!

seasons greetings

zoom
Old 12-22-2008, 10:31 AM
Kirsty_Carnage
A/V + A/P Camera operator

Originally Posted by zoom505 View Post
Ladies,

Thks for d info. I feared as much. line of sight is obviously important even if using FPV. Am flying on a 35mhz radio and using 2.4 for the wireless video. Wont be going outside 1km so. Bear in mind in Ireland we are limited on 2.4ghz to 10mw power total.

ugh...!

seasons greetings

zoom
Zoom, it's the same here in England, we are limited to 10mw at 2.4GHz...unless you happen to have a radio amateur license & then the power limits & frequencies available become superb.

Kirsty xx