buying a radio - WattFlyer RC Electric Flight Forums - Discuss radio control eflight

RC Radios, Transmitters, Receivers, Servos, gyros Discussion all about rc radios, transmitters, receivers, servos, etc.

buying a radio

Old 11-14-2008, 05:37 PM
Rolling Thunder
Keep the sunny side up

Default buying a radio

Well Ive been saving up my cheeseburger money & I finally have enough to buy a descent radio.at least I think its a descent radio. my question is do you have to use the receiver or will any 72mhz receiver work with it
JR XP-6102-ULTRALITE FM AIR/HELI 6-CH RADIO+RX+SERVOS - eBay (item 220311416034 end time Nov-19-08 17:35:03 PST)

Old 11-14-2008, 06:42 PM
Sky Sharkster
Super Contributor

Default Any Receiver?

Hello Rolling Thunder,
The answer to your question is "Almost".
In the US, receivers are divided into "Shifts". This is the way the frequency band transmission from the transmitter is divided and decoded by the Rx. Futaba + Hitec are negative shift, JR + Airtronics are positive shift.
The manufacturers are smart enough to know that users of one brand transmitter may want to use a RX from another company. So, Hitec, for example, sells its Rx's in both shifts, positive + negative, even though only negative shift will work with Hitec transmitters.
Now, you have (or, may buy) a JR radio, which comes with a JR Rx, which works on positive shift. You can use any other FM positive shift Rx, which has a matching crystal tuned to the same channel as the Transmitter. The channel will be clearly marked on both the Transmitter and a little tag on the supplied Rx/crystal.
Or, you can buy a Rx which is "Auto-Shift" detect, Berg Rxs have this capability. As long as you get a matching crystal on the same channel as your Transmitter.
Hope this helps, here's a thread from Ed Anderson (AEAJR) with a full explanation;
http://www.wattflyer.com/forums/showthread.php?t=7008
Good Luck!
Ron
Old 11-14-2008, 06:50 PM
Rolling Thunder
Keep the sunny side up

Thanks Skysharkster I appreciate the info.I think I will go ahead & order one