Radio Range????? - WattFlyer RC Electric Flight Forums - Discuss radio control eflight

RC Radios, Transmitters, Receivers, Servos, gyros Discussion all about rc radios, transmitters, receivers, servos, etc.

Radio Range?????

Old 01-19-2009, 06:08 PM
riverrat
circa: 1946

Default Radio Range?????

What controlable operating range can I expect from a Lazer Tx, & an Electron 6 Rx. in a total Woodie??? Flying over wide open Salt Marshes & Rivers, with no other RC'ers withih 20mi. that I know of?
Thanks
Jimmy
Old 01-19-2009, 06:11 PM
firemanbill
Community Moderator

How big is the Woodie?

I had a Laser4, with a Hitec rx prior to getting my Spektrum and I can tell you I could fly my 52" C-130 as far as I could see it and still have full control.
Old 01-19-2009, 07:04 PM
riverrat

Default Radio Range

Thanks Bill!
I knew I spelled Laser wrong, but let it go anyway! It's a Sig Riser 2.5M REST that has not had it's maiden! Thought I could get into RC with no problem with the sticks. (he-he) Banged up my Skimmer 600 a few times, but getting better! I wish there was a good glider guider near that would trim the Riser out for me.
The only time I can fly this area & have approx. 100 to 150 yds of hard marsh to land on is @ low tide. At that time there is mostly onshore breezes, & I have come around close to a Live Oak tree line to turn S.E. back into the wind!! I can walk to this area, & it's open from the NNE to the SSE, as far as the eye can see. So will get more experience before I subject the Riser to this area!!

Thanks
Jimmy
Old 01-19-2009, 07:17 PM
MaxAdventure
AMA 198798

While I don't know specifically the range, with no RF interference and working equipment, you should have several miles. 72Mhz is less prone to shadowing, and it sounds as if you have a very RF clean area, you should have no concerns!

As for landing, there is very rocky ground where I fly and it's often been the norm for local pilots to catch their planes if 2M and under. Of course it takes some practice!
Old 01-19-2009, 07:55 PM
riverrat

Default RF

Originally Posted by MaxAdventure View Post
While I don't know specifically the range, with no RF interference and working equipment, you should have several miles. 72Mhz is less prone to shadowing, and it sounds as if you have a very RF clean area, you should have no concerns!

As for landing, there is very rocky ground where I fly and it's often been the norm for local pilots to catch their planes if 2M and under. Of course it takes some practice!
Max!
Come to think about it, there is a good bit of VHF traffic with the boats that ply these waters, & alot of them has Radar!! There is a huge tower 3 mi. west of here that the Navy uses for communication with Submarines. I don't think any of this has bothered me so far. The VHF & Radar could be as close as 400 yds. & closer the farther out!
My Laser uses Ch. 31

Jimmy

I am using Ch 31 on the laser