Aerial Photography Discuss all aerial photography topics as they relate to rc aircraft

Whats the best plane/radio for AP? please advise

Old 11-26-2006, 11:32 PM
kybrowns

Question Whats the best plane/radio for AP? please advise

I've just discovered this site and I'm loving all the AP stuff. I want to jump into this myself, maybe win a AP contest. ha ha

I only fly electric which seems to be the best choice anyway. I teach so I don't have tons of time or a huge budget to build a complicated plane. For that matter I have never built a plane before. I've been flying parkzone planes for years now.

Since I have been flying these parkzone planes I guess I will need to purchase a radio also. I was going to use the radio that came with my stykerC but everyone seems pretty down on parkzone electronics. I have not had a problem yet.

From what I've read it seems these are the best planes for me:
What's your opinion? I would probably go the brushless option on any of these aircraft unless you think its unnecessary.

-Mountain Models AP plane-- My cyber shot camera is longer than the camera bay, is this a big deal or can this be easily fixed.

-EasyStar--Seems to be good choice maybe the best choice

-EasyGlider--leaning toward this because of its ability to handle more wind than the others, and I think I would enjoy the sailplane experience. Seems like it could handle the heaviest payload.

-Wingo--I like its adaptability(water)(skis) and ruggedness.

As far as radios, I'm lost. The new spectra radio seems the way to go, but does it have the range if I choose the glider plane??

Thanks,
kybrowns

Last edited by kybrowns; 12-30-2006 at 05:28 AM.
Old 11-27-2006, 01:22 AM
Kosh
Super Contributor

Welcome to Wattflyer kybrowns,
I see you have done your research and all your choices are sound ones. Every plane would need to be modded to haul your camera so doing a little extra cutting on the MagpieAP is not a big deal. I would think not all your flying will be done with a camera so pick a plane that fun even without one.
Theres nothing wrong with the DX6 or 7 system and I know of no one that has flown one out of range to date. The DX6 really has about the same range as the Parkzone gear and flying out close to the edge means your plane is just a dot in the sky. (Something to avoid)

A way to trigger the camera shutter (most times just a servo glued on top) is the reason most go with a aftermarket transmitter. A brushless motor is almost mandatory to haul the extra weight of the camera and give decent flight time and the choices for motors are vast.

You seem to be off to a good start and know what your after so lets see what a few others have to say here.
Old 11-27-2006, 04:16 AM
quailbird

I agree with Kosh! I have several AP planes and I like them all. I prefer my home made plane but that is just a choice. I have always liked the SS. I have gotten away from it and always come back to it. What ever your choice, you really should go brushless.It makes all the difference in the world.I have an EZ*, an EZ glider, a SS, and my home made Pagasus, Quailstick. They all can and do carry camera's, from an Aiptek 1.3, to a Nikon 3700, and a Small Wonder CVS camera. I have fun no matter what. I will say, that when I started doing AP, my fun and enthusiasm doubled. Having a camera allows you to "see" the fruits of your labor. So, Have fun!
Old 11-27-2006, 05:17 AM
kybrowns

Smile Thanks for the quick replies.

I appericate the responses. Its fun just thinking about what setup to use. I forgot to add the SS to my list of planes. I can see where the slow speeds could help take some pictures in some areas with small spaces. I already have a slo-v. Its been a fun plane, but I dont think I can upgrade it to do the job.

I'm leaning back toward the EasyStar again because I read a thread about how easy it was to pack in a box. The author had a picture of it packed in a Rubbermade box. Very convient, and fresh. ha ha

How convient is the EASYGLIDER to transport?

Anyway, looking forward to what everyone has to say.
Kosh & Quailbird thanks again
Old 11-27-2006, 05:27 AM
Kosh
Super Contributor

The wings come off the Easyglider just like the Easystar so transport and storage are not a problem. Try this link for some more info and pics on it. http://pierre.rondel.free.fr/images2...erAP/index.htm
Attached Thumbnails Click image for larger version

Name:	mpx4207p.jpg
Views:	156
Size:	31.8 KB
ID:	19509  
Old 12-05-2006, 03:36 AM
Sparky Paul
Super Contributor

Here's some of the planes I've put cameras on..
The latest uses a "300k pixels Digital Camera" from Radio Shack... All of $15.95.
It's in the Easy Star.. and one of the images from it today.

Name:	21PhotoPlanes.jpg
Views:	203
Size:	76.7 KB
ID:	19907   Click image for larger version

Name:	EasyStarPhoto-01.jpg
Views:	223
Size:	151.4 KB
ID:	19908   Click image for larger version

Name:	EasyStarAir-to-AirPreston-02.jpg
Views:	206
Size:	97.6 KB
ID:	19909  
Old 12-06-2006, 02:32 AM
kybrowns

Default thanks for the info

Thanks for the information and cool pics. Where are you from? Seems like perfect flying weather in your pic. I'm freezing!!

I'm discovering that you can put a camera on about anything. I've been a little obsessive lately researching all my options. Latlly I've been leaning toward the slow stick and purchasing a package mount deal from this guy; http://www.askmanap.com/. The slow stick is cheap and seams to be a favorite among the AP people.
Old 12-06-2006, 02:36 AM
Sparky Paul
Super Contributor

Out here in the Antelope Valley, it's summer all year long... except for the 60 days a year we have winter..
I aimed the camera forward today, and chased down another Easy Star.
The camera is a "300K digital camera" from Radio Shack..

Name:	MeatOnTheTable-01.jpg
Views:	198
Size:	75.4 KB
ID:	19951   Click image for larger version

Name:	MeatOnTheTable-02.jpg
Views:	140
Size:	84.4 KB
ID:	19952   Click image for larger version

Name:	MeatOnTheTable-03.jpg
Views:	155
Size:	52.8 KB
ID:	19953  
Old 12-09-2006, 02:17 AM
TeslaWinger

KB, since you are not averse to a Wingo- consider the Wingo Porter. It is a twin with a strong noseshell that protects my nose mounted camera nicely. A nose mount is the most natural viewpoint for easy framing of your shots- point the airplane and your pointing the cam!

Think B-17G- the one with that funky nose turret- perfect for a pan tilt camera- but you won't need 4 motors- unless ya wanna!

I added reduction drives to the motors and a 3 cell lipo pack to the Porter for steep and fast climbs with plenty of duration. Use only Speed400s rated at 7.2volts for a 3 cell application. The birdwing-based airfoil flies very well and handles nicely.

Good luck with your creation!
TW
Old 12-09-2006, 07:37 PM
kybrowns

Default Wingo Porter?

The Wingo Porter sounds great to me, however I didn't think anyone sold it in the U.S.. Where can I find one?

I thought it took pictures out of the back of the plane in a little Cargo area under the wing.

Thanks for your help,

KyBrowns
Old 12-09-2006, 08:40 PM
TeslaWinger

KYB, I got mine from hobby-lobby.com. Its been a few years but they may still have it. You should see it climb with 3 cell lipos and the twin reduction drives! Its a good ship. Stable, powerful and repairable.

The bomb bay is adaptable for many uses but I prefer the forward looking videocam nose mount for RPV flying.

Good luck!
TW

Name:	DSC02428.JPG
Views:	173
Size:	87.6 KB
ID:	20047   Click image for larger version

Name:	DSC02432.JPG
Views:	197
Size:	92.7 KB
ID:	20048  
Old 12-24-2006, 04:30 AM
nakelp86

Hobby Lobby
sells new Wingo now
Old 12-27-2006, 01:08 AM
kybrowns

Talking Finally made my purchase!!!

I got the dx6 radio cheap!! $165 I got it from a very nice local hobby guy in Lexington, Ky.(Excell-Hobbies) I just happened to be in the right place at the right time to get that price. It’s a long story, but he is selling the other DX6s for $179.

I purchased the TwinStar 2 from hobby lobby during their 20% Christmas special. It's plenty big enough and can carry a lot of cameras with just the stock setup. However, I did upgrade a little buy purchasing two 400 7.2 motors instead of using 400 6v motors it comes with. I did this so I can use my 3cell lipo 2100 pack that came with my f27c Stryker. I believe the 30 amp jeti escape will have no problems handling that setup. If you guys think not please let me know!!! I plan on using the stock propellers and buying a different extra set. I’m not sure of what size I should get though. I’ve been going back and forth between planes for what feels like a month now. I can’t wait untill it comes in. I’m sure I’ll have some more questions for you guys since I’m a total newb when it comes to building planes.

Thanks for all the advice,

KyBrowns

p.s. Can't wait to post my own aerial photo shots!

Last edited by kybrowns; 12-27-2006 at 01:48 AM.
Old 12-28-2006, 04:59 AM
Don E
Yup !

KyBrowns,

Sent you a PM. Sorry about the delayed reply. Good to see you got a deal. I've recently been eying the Twinstar II also. Would be interested to know what you think about it. I like that your new DX6 will do flaperon mixing. Could come in handy.

In case you haven't already found this thread.
Derick Veliz does very well with a Wingo, and a Twinstar II. Good ideas there.

Don

Old 12-30-2006, 05:13 AM
kybrowns

Default Need some Wingo help.

Well, to make a long story short I canceled the twin star order and got a Wingo. After talking to Derick and Foamondabrain I changed my mind at the very last second and went the Wingo. It arrived today and I assembled the plane without the motor. The motor should be in this week. It's starting to look like a Wingo.

Got two questions:
  • Will my sony cybershot weigh to much if I plan on using a 3cell 2100 battery? It seems heavy.
  • What are these plastic pieces?
Thanks,

Name:	DSC00053.JPG
Views:	125
Size:	128.2 KB
ID:	20960   Click image for larger version

Name:	DSC00054.JPG
Views:	125
Size:	130.6 KB
ID:	20961  
Old 12-30-2006, 05:37 AM
Flyer 1
Flying Is Living

I dunno about the pieces, but I DO know it'll haul your CyberShot around just fine.
I used the exact same Cybershot you have - it was mounted above the wing on a Great Planes Yardstick. It could lift it with a ten-foot takeoff run in short grass.
Unfortunately, this was the same plane I brilliantly decided to put a single-conversion receiver into so I could use the Electron 6 with another plane. Therefore - our new cell-phone tower hijacked the plane at about 400 feet and sent it east. FAR east, so far it's never been seen since. AAarrgh!
This camera was so good I got a similar replacement. Sony doesn't make that one anymore, so I picked up a DSC-W50 last month. It's very similar to the previous one except it takes finer videos and has better zoom features.
This video shows the takeoff run and climb with the old Sony from the ground and in the air.
Flyer
Old 12-30-2006, 08:37 AM
Don E
Yup !

Originally Posted by kybrowns View Post
Got two questions:
  • Will my sony cybershot weigh to much if I plan on using a 3cell 2100 battery? It seems heavy.
  • What are these plastic pieces?
Your battery won't change the weight of your camera.... (Sorry. Long Day)

You have the new improved Wingo with the new... (stab in the dark) Tail skids? I've looked again and I don't have those on mine.

Since your'e still building I'll show you what I did with mine. We'll start at the back.
1. I replaced the foam tape hinges with real ones. (I used Dubro) (See pics)
2. If I'm right and those are tail skids? Replace them with somthing a little heaver. I used a 10mm hardwood stick and a piece of balsa. You'll need just a little weight back there to counter balance the camera.
3. Motor mount. Built right over the stock mount. (see pics)
4. Battery placement. If I use a 3 cell 1250 I wedge the battery inside the fuse as far back as it will go. It is still slightly nose heavy this way, but I can still hand launch at 3/4 ish throttle with no problem. If I use a 3 cell 2100 I stick the battery onto the back of the fuse in front of the prop and use a Velcro strap that is glued to the bottom of the boom. The plane really dosen't care which battery I use. Truth is it prob'ly flys better with the 2100 because it's balanced better.:o
5. Camera mounting? Hard to say. All cameras are different. Here's what I did. Forward facing for video. Side facing for stills. (I prefer Stills over video too)
6. Optional but recommended. I put clear thin packing tape on the leading edge of about everything.

And finaly... Pics

Don

Name:	tail.JPG
Views:	118
Size:	101.7 KB
ID:	20966   Click image for larger version

Name:	motor mount.JPG
Views:	134
Size:	94.0 KB
ID:	20967   Click image for larger version

Name:	motor top.JPG
Views:	113
Size:	124.1 KB
ID:	20968   Click image for larger version

Name:	motor side.JPG
Views:	123
Size:	103.7 KB
ID:	20969   Click image for larger version

Name:	camera front.JPG
Views:	129
Size:	127.4 KB
ID:	20970  

Click image for larger version

Name:	camera side.JPG
Views:	127
Size:	111.2 KB
ID:	20971  
Old 12-30-2006, 08:47 AM
Don E
Yup !

Oh Yea, and, I used a carbon fiber rod to reinforce the small space above the hole I drilled in the side to let the lens stick out. AUW is 27 oz with a 5.3 oz battery and a 4.8oz camera.

Hope that helps.

Must go sleep now.

Don
Old 12-30-2006, 06:46 PM
kybrowns

Default Thanks!!!!

Thanks guys,

Flyer you and the Cat are very creative. Good video. I hope to post my own soon.

Foamondabrain your information is going to be very helpful. Thank you for the great pics of your wingo mods!!!!!!! You answered a lot of questions I had. I wasn't sure about the motor mount for example. I feel I can finish the job with confidence.
I have a couple more easy ques tons though.

--I'm Curious what stick or button you prefer to operate the shutter servo with on your radio. Seems that I would want to use one of the sticks since I would not have to move my thumbs at all.

--can you buy extra balsa wood and carbon rods from lowes or is this usually a hobby shop purchase.

Last edited by kybrowns; 12-31-2006 at 12:20 AM.
Old 12-31-2006, 01:07 AM
stinkweed007
Super Contributor

BeginAir... Abuseable... Upgradeable.. Stick-To-It able... and Stable... my choice for my projects..

Name:	03.jpg
Views:	143
Size:	158.4 KB
ID:	20997  
Old 12-31-2006, 01:34 AM
Flyer 1
Flying Is Living

Originally Posted by stinkweed007 View Post
BeginAir... Abuseable... Upgradeable.. Stick-To-It able... and Stable... my choice for my projects..
Well... you can sure say you've been off-roadin' after your flights!
Flyer
Old 12-31-2006, 03:26 AM
Don E
Yup !

Originally Posted by stinkweed007 View Post
Thats what I'm talk'n about! And not afraid to get it dirty. Kind'a like an old SUV.

--I'm Curious what stick or button you prefer to operate the shutter servo with on your radio. Seems that I would want to use one of the sticks since I would not have to move my thumbs at all.
When shooting pictures I use a servo on the left (Hitec ch 4) stick with +100% expo. The rudder is on the right (Hitec ch 1) stick.

For video just push record and launch. No buttons, switches, or servos needed.

--can you buy extra balsa wood and carbon rods from lowes or is this usually a hobby shop purchase.
LHS or Hobby-Lobby dot com Is what I do.

Don
Old 12-31-2006, 03:39 AM
Don E
Yup !

Originally Posted by Flyer 1 View Post
I dunno about the pieces, but I DO know it'll haul your CyberShot around just fine.
I used the exact same Cybershot you have - it was mounted above the wing on a Great Planes Yardstick. It could lift it with a ten-foot takeoff run in short grass.
Unfortunately, this was the same plane I brilliantly decided to put a single-conversion receiver into so I could use the Electron 6 with another plane. Therefore - our new cell-phone tower hijacked the plane at about 400 feet and sent it east. FAR east, so far it's never been seen since. AAarrgh!
This camera was so good I got a similar replacement. Sony doesn't make that one anymore, so I picked up a DSC-W50 last month. It's very similar to the previous one except it takes finer videos and has better zoom features.
This video shows the takeoff run and climb with the old Sony from the ground and in the air.
Flyer
Sorry to hear about the fly away. How long ago was that? I live about 65 miles due east of you. Should I keep my eyes open?

Seriously though, enjoyed the video.

Don
Old 12-31-2006, 06:52 AM
Flyer 1
Flying Is Living

Well, it was headed directly your way! I figure I was airborne 2-3 minutes before it skipped town - that'd be a a flying time of about 20 minutes with the 1500 LiPo.
Don't think it'd make it 50 miles, though - that YardStick couldn't thermal worth a darn!
Flyer
Old 12-31-2006, 09:44 AM
stinkweed007
Super Contributor

Originally Posted by Flyer 1 View Post
Well... you can sure say you've been off-roadin' after your flights!
Flyer
well... thats what my gal says.. the truth is.. in the fall... Germany can be verry wet.. and my landing "strip" is a paved path frequented by many farm vehicles.. after about the 50th time wipin down my plane after a flight.. I have reduced myself to just knockin' off the big chunks and then goin back up...