3D Flying Discuss everything related to "3D" flying including construction, power setups and flying techniques

GP EP Yak55 3D

Old 09-26-2005, 01:22 AM
WWI Ace
triplane test pilot

Default GP EP Yak55 3D

Anybody flying or has flown the Great Planes Yak 55 EP 3D? My wife just bought me one. Is it a good plane? I'm sure the stock motor is junk but I can change that. Anything else?
Old 09-27-2005, 11:18 PM
jonnyjetprop

I've seen several fly. Brushless and lipo is a must for great 3D proformance. Issues with slop developing in the stab was a longer term problem. The plane flew well, by the way.

John
Old 09-29-2005, 02:37 AM
WWI Ace
triplane test pilot

Thanks johnnyjetprop!!! I don't think the stab will be that big of a problem anyway. I'm going to use a brushless motor for sure!!! And a 3 cell lipoly. Thanks for the advice!!!
Old 10-02-2005, 07:49 PM
ksol

Default ksol

The Yak does have a stab problem which causes it to oscillate up and down at higher speeds. I solved the problem by cutting 3/4 inch off the leading edge of the stab!! The rudder also had some slop which I corrected by glueing a length 1/16 of carbon rod to the control rod to stiffen the setup.

Ken
Old 10-02-2005, 09:16 PM
WWI Ace
triplane test pilot

Still haven't put it together yet. Waiting to put in a good brushless power system.
Old 10-11-2005, 08:12 PM
glenclif
Batteries Not Included

Actually it flies rather well with the stock motor. Won't last very long using 3S Lipo's though.

Use some Gorilla glue around the grommet where the horizontal stab goes through the foam and it won't wear out the foam that surrounds it. Otherwise after about 4 or 5 flights it will wear out the foam, be very wobbly and you will have to do it anyway.

You can also change the rudder control rod to a stiffer wire to stop the slop in the rudder.

It's a nice flying plane, after you fix those two design flaws.

Glenn
Old 10-12-2005, 12:34 AM
WWI Ace
triplane test pilot

Smile

Thanks Glenn! I am going to put a Himaxx 4100 in it with the Himaxx gearbox geared 5:1, TP 1320mah 3s lipoly, Castle Creations 10amp ESC, and a APC 11x4.7 prop. Does this sound like a pretty good setup for this plane? I hope it's enough power. I will also put the glue around the grommet too. I guess this is what is causing all the wobbly stab problems I hear about.
Old 10-12-2005, 02:46 PM
glenclif
Batteries Not Included

Ace,

That sounds like a perfect set up. It will be plenty of power, you'll be happy. I still fly mine with the stock motor, when it finally gives out I'll change it over to brushless. Try to balance by moving the Receiver, ESC or battery around, instead of adding weight.
Old 10-13-2005, 03:00 AM
WWI Ace
triplane test pilot

Thanks Glenn!!! Steve.
Old 10-17-2005, 12:36 PM
Jeff Boyd 2

This is a great foamie. I have put over 200 flights on mine, and it's great fun to fly. Handles wind surprisingly well for its light weight, and I just love the way it lands (has some roll and pitch couplying in knife edge, but easily mixed out). I always carry it in the trunk, and probably fly it an average of once a day.

Mine's powered by a Himax 2812-1080 Outrunner with a APC Slow Fly 11x4 prop, 1800mAh 2S1P LiPo (2 cell / 7.4V) with a cheapy 18A ESC (don't know the brand) JR Radio with TowerPro mini micro servos and all has worked flawlessly.

It hovers at 1/2 throttle and will fly verticle rolls from hover. 3S1P (11.1V) with a 10x4 or 9x5 is ballistic and punches out of hover with verticle snaps (generally it is way overpowered like this and is more difficult to throttle manage some maneuvers, so I prefer the 2S1P and bigger prop). I modified mine to use two aileron servos instead of the one. This allowed flaperon (excellent for waterfalls, harriers, etc.), and aileron differential for trimming.

A worthwhile mod . . It uses thin gauge wire with 'v' bends in the middle for adjustment for control rods to the surfaces. On the ailerons these are OK because they are short, but they are too flexible for the elevator (full flying stab) and the large rudder wants to straighten out on knife edge and the stab flutters on the down lines of verticles. A quick fix is to use a length of small gauge carbon rod and secure it across the 'v' with small pieces of heat shrink tubing and a couple of drops of CA. This adds very little weight and has made the linkages super stiff.

I'll post some pics if somebody can tell me how ? ?

Last edited by Jeff Boyd 2; 10-17-2005 at 01:42 PM.
Old 10-17-2005, 01:40 PM
Jeff Boyd 2

Here are the pics . . I think I worked it out . .
Attached Thumbnails Click image for larger version

Name:	Yak2.jpg
Views:	367
Size:	32.2 KB
ID:	2747   Click image for larger version

Name:	Yak3.jpg
Views:	365
Size:	40.2 KB
ID:	2748   Click image for larger version

Name:	Yak1.jpg
Views:	353
Size:	30.1 KB
ID:	2749   Click image for larger version

Name:	Yak4.jpg
Views:	377
Size:	21.1 KB
ID:	2750  
Old 10-17-2005, 03:00 PM
qban_flyer

Thumbs up

The one I have has been rather reliable and an excellent performer. Much better than my G/P Cap 580 Flat Out, which flutters its wings (entire wing) at anything faster than a walking pace.

While the stock motor may not be the best, it is a 280 ball bearing unit that is sufficient for normal flight and a few 3D maneuvers. It won't provide unlimited vertical pull outs. For that you'll need a brushless motor.

A great flying model, one with very few quirks and a very good glide ratio for a profile type. I am very pleased with its overal performance, longevity and strength. I have had no problems with my stabilizer as some others above have mentioned.

Old 10-18-2005, 02:02 AM
WWI Ace
triplane test pilot

I just flew mine for the first time today. I stuck with a 2cell lipoly cause mine came out nose heavy even with the lighter battery. It flew pretty good except that I think I do need to make the rudder and elevator pushrods stiffer. There was a little wind and it still did okay!! I like this plane!! Hope I learn to fly it well before I break it!!! Thanks for all the help and tips guys. They are really appreciated!!! Steve.
Old 10-18-2005, 04:16 AM
qban_flyer

Thumbs up

Originally Posted by WWI Ace View Post
I just flew mine for the first time today. I stuck with a 2cell lipoly cause mine came out nose heavy even with the lighter battery. It flew pretty good except that I think I do need to make the rudder and elevator pushrods stiffer. There was a little wind and it still did okay!! I like this plane!! Hope I learn to fly it well before I break it!!! Thanks for all the help and tips guys. They are really appreciated!!! Steve.
I fly mine with Thunder Power 11.1V 900 mAh packs. It balanced perfectly.

I replacedthe pushrods with carbon fiber ones and use Dubro Quick Connects on both ends. No more flexing. BTW, this plane is a "dreamboat" of a flying machine.

GEEE!!! I haven't used that term to describe anything in at least 40 years! Not even on a pretty girl!

Old 10-18-2005, 02:48 PM
KenS
All Thumbs

How resiliant is this plane? I tend to be a little rough on my birds:P
Old 10-18-2005, 04:42 PM
Jeff Boyd 2

Ken, its surprisingly tough. Its EP covered with some special film type covering, and a sort of light weight vinyl? graphics covering the wing, stab and rudder.
I have bounced mine a couple of times quite hard. First one nosed in from inverted about 25' and only loosened the mount (Note: this never had enough glue to start with. Would pay to check this and add glue or strengthen). The second time I cartwheeled (basically, I was doing a low rolling circle and finished it underground) and it put a number of creases in the wing, creased an aileron, and loosened the wing, fuse joint. I just bent the wing back by hand and smoothed out the creases with my fingers, put a little glue around the wing fuse joint and I was back in the air (I like to use PVA woodworking glue on EP . . it seems to dry a little flexible.).
While it is very responsive with its large control surfaces and huge throws, it is very stable to fly, and handles like a *****cat, and is a breeze to land. If you are a fairly new flyer, or aerobats have a habit of "getting away from you", I'd suggest starting on low rates. Things happen mighty fast on high rates.
Old 10-18-2005, 05:07 PM
qban_flyer

Thumbs up

Originally Posted by KenS View Post
How resiliant is this plane? I tend to be a little rough on my birds:P
Let me put it this way. I let a friend of mine fly mine. He is not that 3D savvy but was handling the plane pretty good when suddenly he stalled it about 40 feet up, and instead of applying full throttle he just pulled up elevator making a bad situation worse.

It came down very hard on its nose. I was sure the prop, its shaft and nose of the Yak were goners and expected to find the foam broken in several places, as the plane bounced off on impact.

It didn't even squash the foam on the nose, much less break it. The prop saver did its job by saving the prop and its shaft.

As far as I am concerned, resiliency is one of this model's strongest features. I have never witnessed a foam model of any type survive this kind of an impact unscathed like my G/P Yak-55 did.

Old 10-18-2005, 05:11 PM
KenS
All Thumbs

Thx Jeff, I may look into this, I have so many unbuilt now lol. I would probably use a TP3S1320PL on it and a CustomCDR on it to keep cost down.
I still have a 2nd Zoom Zoom to build, and a Super Zoom, and a 28" EPP Mini Apex.
Old 11-21-2005, 12:34 AM
sb13

I'm building mine as we speak. I was wondering how you guys have mounted the battery. How do you keep that plastic container the battery sits in closed? I would think the battery could shift and open it. Are you using velcro in the battery compartment? I'm using a himax 2812-890 outrunner and wanted to know if a thunder power 1320 would be a good battery choice with good flight times? Please respnod if you have tried this. I want thunder power batteries not electrifly batteries. Thanks for your help to you all.
Old 11-21-2005, 01:18 AM
qban_flyer

Lightbulb

Originally Posted by sb13 View Post
I'm building mine as we speak. I was wondering how you guys have mounted the battery. How do you keep that plastic container the battery sits in closed? I would think the battery could shift and open it. Are you using velcro in the battery compartment? I'm using a himax 2812-890 outrunner and wanted to know if a thunder power 1320 would be a good battery choice with good flight times? Please respnod if you have tried this. I want thunder power batteries not electrifly batteries. Thanks for your help to you all.
Batteries are mounted in the plastic pocket, which is sealed shut by means of a long velcro strip. I also filled the void behind the pack with foam to prevent it from shifting. I also added strapping tape to the bottom of the fuselage to prevent too much wear from friction on landings.

I am using 11.1V T/P 1320s in mine. Motor used is a Himaxx 2015-4144 geared affair swinging a 9X6E APC propeller providing me with as much as 24 plus ounces of thrust for a power consumption of just under 10 amps.

Quite a bit more power than what the Yak needs, but it's there just in case. I see no reason why your outrunner wouldn't work with the 1320 T/P packs.

Old 11-30-2005, 11:11 PM
sb13

I've now outlined my rudder and my elevator with carbon fiber to make sure there is no flex at all. I ran a thicker strip along the bottom for landing on and I built wood outlines that go around the wing slot to make it stronger. I'm going to use 2 servos for the ailerons too. So far without the elevator or the ailerons hinged or the pushrods installed I'm at about 12 ounces. The flying weight is between 12 and 14 ounces. I'm I going to end up too heavy for slow flight?? What do you guys think?
Old 12-01-2005, 01:44 AM
trogdor
Electriglo pilot

14 ounces is pretty heavy for those little wings. My first started at close to that stock and it didn't do slow high alpha so well... then I went brushless and small 3s 900 and it was much better at about 12.25 ounces. My second with a razor and other light bits is 11.0 AUW. Not a lot of difference it seems between 11 and 12 but perceptible... going to 14 was a big difference I think. But try it and see and maybe go with a smaller battery if you can to lighten it up.
Old 12-01-2005, 02:23 AM
sb13

I used epoxy in alot of areas instead of ca becouse the ca was absorbing into the foam before I could get my parts together and using a little kicker still seems to melt the foam.
Old 12-01-2005, 05:50 AM
qban_flyer

Lightbulb

14 ounces is within the weight limit specified by Great Planes. Mine came in a bit under 12 though.

The model is rather tough and well engineered as a stock model, so I built it according to the book. The thought of separate ailerons crossed my mind for a fleeting moment!

Old 12-01-2005, 10:29 AM
Jeff Boyd 2

Hmmmmmmm . . . mine actually weighs 15 1/2 oz. now with 2200mAh 2S1P - 7.4V pack . . . 12 oz. without battery.

If your weight is without battery, you will be fine. Mine does high alpha stuff no problems at a 15 1/2 oz. flying weight. It has a heap of wing area so your loading won't actually increase all that much, and will fly slow no problems. I catch mine out of the air with just a slight head breeze. A little flair right at the end slows it to very little forward speed.

I would have to have close to 300 flights on it now, and still flies fantastic ! !

I think you are going to like it.

Quick Reply: GP EP Yak55 3D

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service - Do Not Sell My Personal Information -

Copyright 2018 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.

Page generated in 0.10216 seconds with 13 queries