Foamies Talk about building, power setups and anything having to do with e-powered foamy planes!

Sad news!

Old 10-16-2011, 04:03 AM
Nieuport Fly Guy

Default Sad news!

Well my HZ Champ today flew the coop. Took her out on a normal dusk flight...she made great altitude...decided to take he to the east and she just kept on going! Lost to the mountains and the forest! That was Champ no 3!
Old 10-16-2011, 04:09 AM
Fishbonez
Love my Stinger

Ahh dude
Sorry to hear that
Old 10-16-2011, 04:09 AM
gramps2361
Community Moderator

Will be keeping a eye out for it thanks for the heads up I will put it with the other two.

That bites though is there a known issue with TX and RX loosing bind with each other, or did you let it get out of range?
Old 10-16-2011, 04:27 AM
CNY_Dave

There are high-flying champs, and there are long-lasting champs, but few high-flying long-lasting champs.

Dave
Old 10-16-2011, 05:07 AM
flydiver
Super Contributor

Too bad.
It's also too bad that the Champ is now being brought out as the absolute 'best' trainer in existence. It's a good plane but it has a number of kind of glaring issues that don't get mentioned.
OTOH, the vast majority of cheap trainers have some issues. You just have to pick the ones least obnoxious for your situation.
Old 10-16-2011, 05:18 AM
CNY_Dave

It definitely hits a sweet spot on price, capability, and durability.

For figuring out which way you gotta twiddle the sticks, it fits the bill, and is nice to watch as it floats by.

I think the worst part of it is the TX, which doesn't suck, but even a DX5e blows it away.

When someone asks me what's 'best' (tires, dual-sport bikes, plane to learn on) I always ask 'Best for what?'
Old 10-16-2011, 08:11 AM
Nieuport Fly Guy

Thanks all for the sympathy! I let it get out of range... I have a dx6i...and she can go about 1/2 to 3/4 miles...this time I took her east for the first time...and she just kept going. Thought I saw her tip her wings as if to say goodby!

But the question now is...do I buy Champ 4? I have really done well with the champ for video with the 808 keycam...and I like the transportability. Suggestions for a replacement that can accomodate a leisurely fly, can carry a keycam, easy to transport, and in around the same price range?
Old 10-16-2011, 09:52 AM
RcFlyingTom

Default Sad news!

Although I've never had one, the champ is probably the best in that size/price range due to it being a high-wing design. Why did your DX6i go out of range? Wad it because of the range of the receiver? Just wondering because I just ordered my DX6i.

Tom
Old 10-16-2011, 10:27 AM
RcFlyingTom

Default Sad news!

BTW, sorry to hear about you loss.

Tom
Old 10-16-2011, 11:24 AM
CHELLIE
Super Contributor

Originally Posted by Nieuport Fly Guy View Post
Thanks all for the sympathy! I let it get out of range... I have a dx6i...and she can go about 1/2 to 3/4 miles...this time I took her east for the first time...and she just kept going. Thought I saw her tip her wings as if to say goodby!

But the question now is...do I buy Champ 4? I have really done well with the champ for video with the 808 keycam...and I like the transportability. Suggestions for a replacement that can accomodate a leisurely fly, can carry a keycam, easy to transport, and in around the same price range?
Bummer, Sorry to hear about your plane , I dont know what receiver you were using, but if your using non full range receivers, Dont, lots of people have their planes get out of range and loose them with non full range receivers, use full range 2.4 receivers, yes they cost a little more, but if you figure the price of a lost plane, they are really cheap insurance, Take Care, Chellie
Old 10-16-2011, 01:25 PM
max2112
Super Contributor

Well my HZ Champ today flew the coop. Took her out on a normal dusk flight...she made great altitude...decided to take he to the east and she just kept on going! Lost to the mountains and the forest! That was Champ no 3!
Did you have your contact information anywhere inside?
On my larger birds I have my Name, cell phone number and email address on a gummy label.

It would be a long shot, but somebody might find it.
Old 10-16-2011, 02:01 PM
Nieuport Fly Guy

I was using the stock " brick" with this plane. And contact info is a great idea! Say...as a replacement anyone have any experience with the E-flite piper l-4 250 ARF?

http://secure.hobbyzone.com/EFL5025.html

I have the WWI series and they are a joy to fly. I am just tired of loosing and replacing my champ! Really just want a leisure fly, that I can strap a keycam to. Appreciate all the help!
Old 10-16-2011, 02:35 PM
HobbyJumper

I do.

What specifically are you wondering about?

anyone have any experience with the E-flite piper l-4 250 ARF?
ps: It's not a foamie.
Attached Thumbnails Click image for larger version

Name:	IMG-20111010-00170.JPG
Views:	167
Size:	190.6 KB
ID:	153962  
Old 10-16-2011, 04:08 PM
Nieuport Fly Guy

Originally Posted by HobbyJumper View Post
I do.

What specifically are you wondering about?

ps: It's not a foamie.
HJ...just wondering if the Piper could handle a keycam. And your experience about flying her? Is it one of your favs? Is it a stable flyer? Can she fly slow? Etc. Nice pic btw! I have the Fokker DVIi which I really enjoy!
Old 10-17-2011, 07:37 PM
HobbyJumper

First, I've only flown the L4 on three different days so far, and under very calm conditions, where it flew beautifully. It is, however, super responsive to the sticks and anything but the slightest movement causes the little plane to react in big, totally non-scale-looking, way. On the one day when the wind started to pick up it was impossible to fly smoothly. And if you crash it you better be good at old-school balsa and film repair techniques. No foam safe CA and tape and away you go.

As for your question, when outfitted as per the manual it is expensive (and using cheaper/larger gear will require significant cutting and cramming). For half the price, or less, you could buy a larger, heavier foam plane which would make a much more stable, robust camera platform.

Having said that, I love the L4 for its 4-channel park-friendly size, silent operation and scale resemblance to a prototype I happen to admire.

Cheers...

HJ...just wondering if the Piper could handle a keycam. And your experience about flying her? Is it one of your favs? Is it a stable flyer? Can she fly slow? Etc. Nice pic btw! I have the Fokker DVIi which I really enjoy!
Old 10-17-2011, 07:53 PM
philipa_240sx
Super Contributor

Originally Posted by HobbyJumper View Post
First, I've only flown the L4 on three different days so far, and under very calm conditions, where it flew beautifully. It is, however, super responsive to the sticks....

Having said that, I love the L4 for its 4-channel park-friendly size, silent operation and scale resemblance to a prototype I happen to admire.
I have an E-Flite L-4 Grasshopper. Agreed, It's not the most stable plane, especially in wind. It really gets tossed around and it doesn't self level quickly, something that's not good for novice pilots. If all you have flown is the Champ, I wouldn't recommend it.

You should consider buying a larger plane like the Hobbyzone Supercub DSM RTF. It'll have no issues carrying a keycam and can slow down reasonably well. The bigger size usually makes it easier to fly as things happen much more slowly.

I have really done well with the champ for video with the 808 keycam...and I like the transportability. Suggestions for a replacement that can accomodate a leisurely fly, can carry a keycam, easy to transport, and in around the same price range?
I had suggested the PZ SuperCub, but that may be too big.

Perhaps look at a scratchbuilt foamy like the Blu-Baby with the 32" KFM wing? It would fit your budget (under $100) using inexpensive parts... and you could use a parkflyer or full range RX with it.

Mountain Models also has several simple balsa and/or foam planes that are simple enough to build. ie Magpie, Dandy

Last edited by philipa_240sx; 10-17-2011 at 11:10 PM.
Old 10-17-2011, 10:52 PM
philipa_240sx
Super Contributor

Originally Posted by CHELLIE View Post
Bummer, Sorry to hear about your plane , I dont know what receiver you were using, but if your using non full range receivers, Dont, lots of people have their planes get out of range and loose them with non full range receivers, use full range 2.4 receivers, yes they cost a little more, but if you figure the price of a lost plane, they are really cheap insurance, Take Care, Chellie
Chellie,

The HZ Champ the OP has is the small micro one (20" ws):

http://www.horizonhobby.com/Products...ProdID=HBZ4900

It has an integrated RX, ESC and servo's like the Parkzone Micro's. Nothing that is upgradeable. They aren't meant to be flown very far away. Being so light and small, it's easy to lose one... whether it be due to the wind carrying it away or radio range issues.

Last edited by philipa_240sx; 10-17-2011 at 11:10 PM.
Old 10-17-2011, 11:03 PM
philipa_240sx
Super Contributor

Old 10-18-2011, 01:53 AM
RcFlyingTom

Default Sad news!

I don't really know anything about them but what about a mini supercub. I think they weigh about 200g.

---
I am here: http://maps.google.com/maps?ll=-42.978394,147.314090

Tom
Old 10-18-2011, 02:38 PM
philipa_240sx
Super Contributor

Originally Posted by RcFlyingTom View Post
I don't really know anything about them but what about a mini supercub.

I really wouldn't recommend buying a Mini Super Cub. It's a much older design that uses an integrated RX/ESC/Servo brick and a proprietary FM radio. It IS NOT compatible with the Spektrum DX6i radio.
Old 10-18-2011, 03:28 PM
Nieuport Fly Guy

Thanks all. I opted not to get the L4 Grasshopper. And not to get another Champ...I am tired of them flying away! Rather...I just ordered a GP Fokker DR I triplane ( I have quite a collection of WWI planes that I need to fly more). I also do have a mini super cub that I tried to learn on but could never get her airborne. A future project is to work on the cub to go brushless and DSM2. And besides...maybe the phone will ring and someone will call becausevthey saw my posted sign and found the plane before winter sets in! For now I will use the keycam on the Fokker DVIi. You just can't loose that one!
Old 10-18-2011, 03:48 PM
philipa_240sx
Super Contributor

Good luck NieuportFlyGuy!
Old 10-18-2011, 04:28 PM
CNY_Dave

A note on the mini-supercub- local shop is quite a fan of the regular supercub, but due to fragility and other issues mentioned, they don't even carry the mini any more.

Dave
Old 10-18-2011, 05:20 PM
philipa_240sx
Super Contributor

I just ordered a GP Fokker DR I triplane ( I have quite a collection of WWI planes that I need to fly more).
This one?

http://www.electrifly.com/largeelectrics/gpma1142.html

Nice plane.

I love bipes, and had the GP Electrifly Tiger Moth for awhile. Nice plane but the foam is incredibly fragile... it's now a ceiling decoration as it's unflyable due to damage.

So now I'm building one of these...

The 1st photo is my plane. The 2nd one is Pat Tritle's prototype. I will be using a slightly different covering scheme.
Attached Thumbnails Click image for larger version

Name:	Pat Tritle TM - Build 1.jpg
Views:	128
Size:	73.5 KB
ID:	154022   Click image for larger version

Name:	TM 49.jpg
Views:	148
Size:	64.8 KB
ID:	154023  
Old 10-18-2011, 06:19 PM
Nieuport Fly Guy

Originally Posted by philipa_240sx View Post
This one?

http://www.electrifly.com/largeelectrics/gpma1142.html

Nice plane.

I love bipes, and had the GP Electrifly Tiger Moth for awhile. Nice plane but the foam is incredibly fragile... it's now a ceiling decoration as it's unflyable due to damage.

So now I'm building one of these...

The 1st photo is my plane. The 2nd one is Pat Tritle's prototype. I will be using a slightly different covering scheme.
That is the one! (i have issues when it comes to WWI planes). That makes 7 I think!

Quick Reply: Sad news!

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service - Do Not Sell My Personal Information -

Copyright 2018 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.

Page generated in 0.16625 seconds with 16 queries