Hobbyking parkjet...need for speed!!!!!!!!!!!!! - Page 9 - WattFlyer RC Electric Flight Forums - Discuss radio control eflight

Pusher Park Jets For all pusher jets and jet-like models.

Hobbyking parkjet...need for speed!!!!!!!!!!!!!

Old 03-24-2012, 05:21 PM
solentlife
Super Contributor

Just ordered 2 digital 6.5gr servos ... couple of lost model beepers ....

My PKJ has 2 9gr analogue servos in and they are proud of underwing surface. So I reckon to swap those out for the smaller 6.5gr jobs. Didn't fancy going 5gr ... not with the sort of speeds i want. I chose digitals as well to prevent any problems with the Mini MEMS gyro ...
Old 03-25-2012, 01:51 AM
tobydogs
love to build!

pcs are coming together on the launcher. i need to put a eye bolt on the weighted end to secure the bungee in the field instead of using a stake.this also allows placement on different parts of the field with quick removal if needed.i will paint it bright yellow so other pilots can avoid it.

the bungee cord will be doubled up and pulled to 5 or 6 times the weight of whatever jet is being launched will be attached to the eye bolt on the weight using a rock climbers carabeaner [spelling],and the jet/nylon 10ft or more line will be attached to the launcher and plane using split key chain metal rings. the hook on the planes fuse bottom is still up in the air for discussion,some folks bend landing gear wire,others use solid servo horns screwed thru the fuse bottom into a pc of ply epoxied inside the fuse.i'v seen enough successful launches of funjets to see where to mount the hook....but the pkj,not sure.

I'll p/u pipe insulation for the rails to protect the wings from hitting the elbows on the way up the ramp, and will cover the soft foam with smooth packing tape to reduce friction during launch. the poles/rails are not glued into the sliding "t's" so i can switch them with different angles when needed. the "t" connectors for the rails are sanded on the inside with a dremmeled for a tight fit on the base and makes the rails adjustable. build took approx 1 hr so far.

as far as the staking down the launcher goes,i hope to use a small stake,or i will use a stretch resistant pc of rope and fasten it of to a flight table leg using another carabeaner. I'm hoping i don't need a lot of length pulling the bungee cord for the pkj launch since all i want is equal to a strong throw with no ones hands getting cut and a smooth throttle up to avoid the deadly torque roll. these arn't glders looking for 300ft of altitude.

a few pictures and not finished yet. i feel bad the launcher talk takes away from the speed talk,so hopefully this is the cure to our launching issues.
Attached Thumbnails Click image for larger version

Name:	funjet ultra 193.jpg
Views:	101
Size:	132.0 KB
ID:	158442   Click image for larger version

Name:	funjet ultra 194.jpg
Views:	93
Size:	138.4 KB
ID:	158443   Click image for larger version

Name:	funjet ultra 195.jpg
Views:	83
Size:	145.1 KB
ID:	158444   Click image for larger version

Name:	funjet ultra 196.jpg
Views:	90
Size:	120.7 KB
ID:	158445   Click image for larger version

Name:	funjet ultra 197.jpg
Views:	99
Size:	125.0 KB
ID:	158446  

Old 03-25-2012, 09:59 AM
solentlife
Super Contributor

Rock climbers carabiner ? That's heavy ! Surely a split ring is better ... or small dog clip ?

Hook point ... I still reckon just behind the air hole underneath. A short length maybe 2" of square hardwood dowel .. maybe 5mm sq. set into the bottom with epoxy ... a wire hook that's bound / glued through and along it and end in a L ... the short bit of the L just to stop ring falling of when setting it. But short so when take-off the ring can fall off easily.

Maybe the hardwood dowel can run most of fuselage length to do two jobs ... strengthen the fuselage and also distribute bungee load ? If really clever - it could even get to rear of fuselage and provide a very low motor stick mount ?
Old 03-25-2012, 01:14 PM
tobydogs
love to build!

good morning my speed freak friends![of which i am the freakiest]

today will be a very productive day to completing and dry testing the launcher,thats with no pkj launched but some other test subject at a local school yard thats to small for pkj's and the like..not sure what that will be,but it will be launched...lol.

rain this morning and winds 10mphmmmmmmm yeah man!real flying![maybe]that would of coarse come first right after church which is #1 for the day.

the carabeaner is a smaller type made out of alum. it will be easy on the rubber of the bungee as it's got more surface than the key ring. it's only for connecting to the heavy field weight. pictures to follow today. weather permitting. if i am pulling say 2 to 4 lbs on the bungee while stretching,why would a 50lb wieght move,or even a 25 lb weight for that matter ,it lays flat on the ground, barbell weight with eye bolt shouldn't move[testing required]. i saw on another forum a guy who wrote the bungee workings like geometry/algebra..lol. not going to come from this tester.

i concur on the hook point location Nigel,i don't want to tear the nose off the pkj with the pull its going to get,but instead of an "L" shape it should be at a slight angle that guarantees release the key ring on the pk shouldn't fall off since the pkj will be resting on the launcher with the nylon string pull tight[0 slack] when released tension will rocket the pkj and a slight angle of piano wire on the fuse bottom thats say 1/2 to 3/4 inch should be fine. for me the hook needs to be short so grass landings don't mess it up. i have to go now and hope to return tonight with photos.stu
Old 03-25-2012, 02:33 PM
solentlife
Super Contributor

Hook or pin ... agreed .. My T45 has a short pin that sticks down vertically for attaching the nose wheel leg ... it stops the T45 like a brick when belly landing !!

watch my crazy flying vid on youtube ... she lands on tarmac and stops dead !

You know and I know that even though pull is a lot less than the barbell etc. - you are pulling effectively along the ground NOT vertically - so the effective weight of your barbell etc. is significantly less.

Think about the guys who do truck pull competitions ...

That's one hell of a bungee to have stretched out if it decides to let go ! Plus it will walk as you use it ... is there nothing more fixed out there to use ?

i'm concerned about using a spiral screw stake on mine .. in fact I'm going to use the stake my wife used for the horse she had !
Old 03-25-2012, 09:03 PM
tobydogs
love to build!

Nigel,this is very cool for learning curve...,this is a picture of the 25lb weight I'm using. its more than enough to launch the pkj or funjet. I'm leaving the bolt sticking down so where ever i drop it ,it will stake it's self. i hooked the bungee up and pulled it way past the distance of 8 lbs and let it go.SNAP!!!! what awesome power to have to use for launches. then i installed a nail in the test subject,a beach paddle. the angle of the release bolt on the launcher is perfect for hooking the bungee lead,the pedal works great. the length of the pedal bolt needs shortening or the board needs bringing up right to the edge . the reason is as the ring slides up the bolt ,slack occurs in the line to the plane and allows the line to drop.i will need a steeper bend on the hook on the plane and also shorten the pedal release bolt for quicker release. with the bungee stretched only a little the paddle launched perfectly. now my big mistake today is painting the weight in high humidity. the wind is also enough to make it a relaxing day home. the only work i plan to do is clean the workshop.....man ,what a mess i make doing the easiest projects.seems like i drag out to many tools..lol.

just a few more photos from fooling around and the pink lead string hooking the bungee to the launch is set for photo display only. it will be another 10 to20 ft longer making the full draw length of bungee and line around 50 ft. plenty to launch the jets,greater length required for heavier birds though.

3:30pm and looks calm out side.....shoot i have to setup a ball park flyer for days i don't want to drive to the club field. i miss the airfoils yak. i should have fixed it instead of tossing it.[dope]

a quick edit:i think i'll cut the height of the launcher down lower to the ground,i can't see any reason to have it so high for pkj or funjets.

Name:	funjet ultra 198.jpg
Views:	80
Size:	178.9 KB
ID:	158481   Click image for larger version

Name:	funjet ultra 199.jpg
Views:	88
Size:	197.4 KB
ID:	158482   Click image for larger version

Name:	funjet ultra 201.jpg
Views:	84
Size:	155.3 KB
ID:	158483   Click image for larger version

Name:	funjet ultra 202.jpg
Size:	190.9 KB
ID:	158484   Click image for larger version

Name:	funjet ultra 203.jpg
Size:	195.1 KB
ID:	158485  

Click image for larger version

Name:	funjet ultra 204.jpg
Size:	194.4 KB
ID:	158486   Click image for larger version

Name:	funjet ultra 205.jpg
Views:	85
Size:	185.9 KB
ID:	158487   Click image for larger version

Name:	funjet ultra 206.jpg
Views:	77
Size:	177.9 KB
ID:	158488   Click image for larger version

Name:	funjet ultra 207.jpg
Views:	76
Size:	223.6 KB
ID:	158489  

Last edited by tobydogs; 03-25-2012 at 09:20 PM.
Old 03-25-2012, 10:02 PM
solentlife
Super Contributor

All the vids show a reasonable height to the launchers ........ and the models dropping a bit as they come of ... I reckon I'm going to go for about 2 - 2.5ft of the ground at exit. the angle I think should be about 35 ish ... 45 I think is too much, 30 not enough ...

Ok - I see what your problem is ............ most of the launchers have two lines. One going back to the trigger pin - other to the model. they divide of from the bungee ahead of the launcher. So the trigger line is not actually directly connected to the model. This then means that the model line has a better angle to it more in line with the bungee.... and not down to the pin. I couldn't see the point until I see your photos now. It makes sense to split the lines as they do.

I'm only guessing - I think you will long past maiden launch by the time I get home - this job in Ukraine is dragging on ... so you can actually add to others info on what really happens.

As to release trigger .......... not too keen on those long plank affairs - I much prefer the idea of the little clothes peg style one at back. Originally I had idea of a pin between two blocks ... the ring over pin, second block on top. Foot on block .. it comes of top of pin that is hinged to fall forward and let ring go. But the vids show a simpler idea where as you do - the block pushes the ring of the pin.

Boy do I need to go home !!

Wife tells packages from post are piling up on my bench !! (to keep her happy - I let her choose something of ebay like designer handbag, dress etc. - she doesn't moan then about all my HK / ebay buys !)
Old 03-26-2012, 12:57 AM
tobydogs
love to build!

just reviewed the videos of the funjet launchers i copied with my build,checked other videos with front release pin launchers. they hook up to the launcher and plane the same way as show in my pictures.as far as the line pull goes,all should pull fine since theres no slack as long as i set the release pin shorter or at its very edge at the top of the pin.

the rear pedal release shows a 2 point string like your going to use and after launch the extra string needed to reach the rear pedal drags behind the climbing jet. thats the reason i didn't go with that design. i want to throttle up quickly while under bungee pull and wouldn't want to cut the line or have it dragging behind the pusher props.

i was reading the hook should be approximately 35% back from the nose tip to the point of cog. this length is around 11 inch's on the parkjet. i also read where one guy felt being closer to the nose for faster launches is better since we aren't looking to soar but rather gain speed for a smooth transition to flight. i set the hook on experimental pkj#1 approx 3 1/2 inch's back. using strong lg wire from another plane i cut a slot the length show and set it in solid with epoxy. as added strength i used a small strip of 1/32 base wood to cover the slot. its extremely strong and getting pulled out during launch isn't going to happen,and it is one more pc to help strengthen the fuse.

heres a few pictures,try not to critique them to hard...lol....,just kidding,i like all the feed back we share and we will ultimately find the very best,and fastest pkj's flying.

edit: pkj#1 has has several great flights,but more hard landings then i care to admit ,this is why she's so ugly....but ready to be sacrifice to the advancement of our goal.

Name:	funjet ultra 211.jpg
Views:	81
Size:	135.6 KB
ID:	158492   Click image for larger version

Name:	funjet ultra 212.jpg
Views:	93
Size:	139.1 KB
ID:	158493   Click image for larger version

Name:	funjet ultra 217.jpg
Views:	79
Size:	103.2 KB
ID:	158494   Click image for larger version

Name:	funjet ultra 219.jpg
Views:	89
Size:	133.0 KB
ID:	158495  
Old 03-26-2012, 02:14 AM
Brick
small Member

nice !!
Old 03-26-2012, 04:23 AM
tobydogs
love to build!

Nigel,I've been thinking more about what you said with the line attachments,seems to me a simple line tie off 5 to 10ft of the planes lead tied out front of the launcher would serve to level out the overall exit of the pkj at launch. I'm wondering why most front release videos show the hookup like i have it now.....what do they know that we don't know.

the other thing that i don't want,that being a string dangling behind the jet during launch from a rear release,the lead attached to my launcher will still be in front of the plane during rising in flight[even if i retie the planes lead further out]. some say a small para shoot or marker ragstrip is good for assisting in the release in the air do to minor air drag. it also helps to locate the end of the bungee when rolling it up for the day.not sure it would be a problem as we are using a short bungee length compared to a gliders 400ft of bungee/line. glad we don't need to walk that much to launch our pkj's.. I'm thinking of making a wind up reel built on the launcher for keeping everything neatly together. may also adjust the roof racks on my suv to place the launcher on top of the car with easy strap down method so not to become discouraged in bringing it to the field. the way it's looking ,I'm afraid it might walk while I'm not at the field.

whats nice with pvc is it's so cheap we can design multiple launchers,and i still have enough t's & corner pc's to do a simple setup and also build the rear release pedal. thats something i could lock to a fence and it wouldn't stand out like what I've built.

i must admit to looking forward to seeing what you put together when you get home.

brick,thanks for the comp.
Old 03-26-2012, 07:15 AM
solentlife
Super Contributor

Wow ... that's some hook there Stu ! Mine will be much lighter and smaller.

I reckon a small L set into a hardwood dowel.... lets put it this way - gliders with a lot more bungee pull on them have less hook than yours.

One guy - the one who has the launcher that he can adjust width, youtube 2 videos detailing build and then use, has a plywood piece to hook onto in his EDF.

I agree that the extra line as I am considering needs care to make sure it doesn't snag the prop. But look at various vids anf tyhey seem to survive OK with it. I'm considering using a WYE lead on mine ... it's a small metal, (lead), weight that fisherman use to reduce line spin ... My idea is to have a small weight on the line to keep it down as the model pulls fwd. It will also have a small red pendant.

There are various ideas to be honest going through my mind ...

a) There's no reason why the second trugger line has to go to the rear ... it can just as well go to front mounted trigger as you have Stu - the bungee line direct to model.
b) Rear mount trigger could have a short bungee section so that when released - the trigger line is shorter than the line to model keeping it ouit of prop.
c) Solenoid trigger to a flat plate or pin across in front of model pin ... connect to small electrical source and press to make switch.
d) Trigger similar to c but activated by Rx and switch on Tx.

I tyhink there are huindreds of ways to do this but all come back to basics ... bungee to pull that bird as straight and true as possible without causing it to spin like a top, or climb like a hi-start. We have to find that happy middle ground.

Puill ? Minimum about 3kg as I see it ... based on 6x the weight and mines about 500gr.

Interested to see what real length is needed as well. many are using 10m doubled up as 5m and then about 10m static line + trigger / hook line of 2 - 3m. Total unstretched being 15 - 18m. Stretched maybe up to 30m ? depending on amount need to get tension of 3kg.

Stu - note you mention the insulation on the tubes to stop wing catching the elbow fittings at end. ne guy cuts the fitting so that lip is not there .. basically shaves the top of the tube back flush with the tube pushed in. No need for extra then. On my first launcher - I drilled hole into underside of tube and pushed dowel in ...... no elbow at all.

I plan to wax the tubes ... and shiny gloss tape under the PKJ to give maximum "slide" ... and also reduce famage to my already scrappy paintwork.

That reminds me Stu - see your PKJ has similar stress marks to mine !! Stretch Marks ??
Old 03-28-2012, 07:56 AM
solentlife
Super Contributor

Default stupid question ...............

I have a slingshot at home that is doing nothing. With upgrade of rubber - it could easily pull a PKJ ....

How would you hold the PKJ in the slingshot ready to release as you have a 30K rpm prop at back ?

I'm womdering if a Y yoke could insert into the finger holds to pull it back and then how to release ?

Don't laugh ... I'm serious !!
Old 03-28-2012, 11:11 PM
tobydogs
love to build!

i did laugh when i saw your picture of the sling shot and then realized i was in a rehab center by myself in the office and laughing to myself. then i scrolled down and read"don't laugh".....opps,to late.

just kidding you Nigel,truth is i considered the sling shot method but with a variation as follows. when i was a kid in the 60's,there was a puppet tv show in black and white called"fire ball xl5". the reason i mention this is they made a toy of the rocket xl5 that you could slingshot straight up to 100+ft and a parachute would pop out and it would float down.

the trick to getting the best height was to pull back on the rubber band that was mounted on top of a dowel/stick as far as i could and release with a wiping motion to assist in not hitting the stick on the way up..lol.

OK,heres a thought,but requires someone to assist in the launch. mount a 2ft or more of bungee rubber tubing doubled up to be 1 ft to a handle stick pull back and release. simple,stronger then a thrower could do by hand. but of coarse with the power off till released. how one would hold the pkj to pull back is a dangerous thought.

i think you should build a simple design PVC launcher like you were thinking. i already want to build a simpler launcher from remaining pvc pc's i have left over just for the pkj's[the funjet will use the adjustable width launcher.] i hope your home and enjoying getting things together.
Old 03-28-2012, 11:15 PM
NJSwede
3D wannabe

Just keep in mind that slingshots are illegal in NJ unless you have a permit...
Old 03-29-2012, 12:36 AM
tobydogs
love to build!

hello njs! good to here from you.have you put the parkjet together yet?tried a flight yet?

yeah,new jersey is tough on stuff like slingshots,i used to have a wrist rocket and used marbles as shot.......that is until putting a hole in my neighbors window. what i talking about won't shoot a rock. the pkj will still need a hook and need pulling back like a slingshot,but no 'y" shape just a handle with the rubber doubled up. again,if one doesn't follow thru with the launch by flicking the wrist down on release your hand and handle will be hit. i would know if this is true,but someone said if your holding a prop on an electric motor thats small like what we're using,it won't spin if given throttle....just don't let go or theres no stopping it. i won't be testing that idea though so don't quote me as holding any prop that the battery is plugged in is just crazy.

Old 03-29-2012, 01:03 AM
solentlife
Super Contributor

Hey Guiys .... guy over on RC Groups hit 143mph with his PKJ !!

Slingshot was a joke ... but you never know -

Yes - I am hoping to get home soon and put together the launcher ...
Old 03-29-2012, 01:21 AM
NJSwede
3D wannabe

No flying yet. I have a half finished PKJ and a half finished Slick on my bench right now. Too much going on in my life outside of the RC world (yes, there is such a thing!). Mostly good stuff, but I can't talk about it yet...

Hopefully I'll maiden it this weekend...
Old 03-29-2012, 10:49 PM
tobydogs
love to build!

143mph,i like it! i hope to be testing out the launcher this weekend but weather isn't looking to promising.

i'm also waitting now on a airfoilz extra to arrive so i can weekday flight time. most of the plane in the hanger don't lend themselfs to ball park flying. but the profile foamy will.

also considering getting this gun to shoot at the pkj and funjet. $100 and great reviews from buyers for the II and III guns. this way,with the v3 pitot tube,and radar gun i should be able to measure speed with one way runs.

Speedster III Radar photos

Also available at:

Bushnell Speedster III

(9 customers reviews)
Old 03-30-2012, 12:32 AM
tobydogs
love to build!

NJS,don't order a v3 speed pitot from hk as i just pull the trigger on the Bushnell radar gun. the one with tripod mount kit and carrying box.

i plan on setting it to a tripod and figure a way to get the trigger to work with a servo so no one has to stand in line of flight of my pkj i hope will be traveling at 150+mph[not likely]. I'll also have to hook up my video camera on the same tripod to record the speed as the guns led resets with the trigger and the speed display doesn't stay for long after the run. maybe will get a quick blurr of the jet passing by.

looking forward to speed checking a bunch of fast flying planes at my field. one glow pilot has a plane that pushes 200mph out of a dive and he has no choice since its a glow motor with wot only,only stops flying when fuel runs out and he dead stick lands.
Old 03-30-2012, 06:53 AM
solentlife
Super Contributor

GUYS .... PLEASE .....

We are all now seeming to get into launchers ............ we need to consolidate the good and bad info that we have ...

What works .......... what sometimes works ............ what sometimes doesn't work ... what doesn't work ............

Our work can help all to achieve the ideal set-up ...

If a certain pull or combo of bungee / angle / length of rails fails or is better ... all is very important info for all.

We don't want to repeat others mistakes if the info is out there ...

Cheers
Old 03-30-2012, 06:56 AM
solentlife
Super Contributor

I also looked at the Bushnell Gun - but reviews I read showed insufficient top speed range ... and also that it needed to be close to target ?

Am interested if it's suitable though ...
0 - 110mph for small objects up to 90ft distance

10 - 200mph for auto's up to 1500ft distance ...

Waiting for your review / report Stu .............. I have Police friends I reckon I can call on for their pro gear ... but would be much better if this personal one works for us .........

Last edited by solentlife; 03-31-2012 at 11:38 AM.
Old 03-31-2012, 11:18 AM
solentlife
Super Contributor

Hoping to be on flight back home mid week ... so I'm all keyed up to find my PKJ ... hope dogs haven't chewed it ... or wife thrown it out !!

Will have something hopefully to post on it later .................

Old 03-31-2012, 11:52 AM
solentlife
Super Contributor

Review on Bushnell .... I know its Ver 2 .. but I believe that only real difference is casing, and III has option to remote display ...

http://www.ipjdev.co.uk/SCRCS/code/c...hSpeedGun.html

He got readings for his model ... but read on ... mmmmmmmmmmmm ?
Old 03-31-2012, 02:00 PM
tobydogs
love to build!

Nigel ,nigel,nigel......................,oh so negative a friend. you never fail me, to point out the problems with the choices i make. my ex brother inlaw[a great guy really] is a a Brit and also a bit[ok,a lot] neg on anything we do here in the states,but in your case it's OK .i just roll my eyes and smile.I've come to expect a comment like that from ya my friend....lol . as for me ,it's just a toy and can't wait to try it. i suppose i'm a bit negative at time also.[ok,a lot....lol.]

note: version III gets better reviews than II.[a much stronger case....]

as far as the gun goes,it's a $100bucks,cheap,i read every review i could find and not just the sellers reviews. i watched you tube videos on it's accuracy by folks in Germany i think[don't know the language]and from just watching it was within 2 #'s of the test car which never moved perfectly steady anyway. so it appears accurate as they flew planes by it.i also read a written review by rcmodels magazine and he really liked it for planes. 200mph i really don't plan on reaching the 200 mark so that's just not important to me.

lastly in my case, the one holding my radar gun center field as i pass wrecklessly over at 10ft above doing what i hope...i say hope....150+mph will not have to worry if i crash into the gun.why no worrying? because the gun only costs a $100 and thats why. i know it's cheap! no big deal even if the holder gets hurt.......since it won't be me.

ready.......

set ..........

tripod! ,as stated before. tripod with gun mounted and a separate mount behind the guns screen to hold my cheap cell phone to record the continuous readiing of speeds as the jet and other planes goes by. I'm also looking forward to seeing what others are getting in speeds. should be loads of fun for a day at the club field. may even try measuring ball speeds at park baseball games.

i hope a little ribbing from your friend here in the states is ok,we're the least perfect of gods creations ,but perfect for each other to try competition flying against each other...lol. you are a huge help to all when i read your posts here at wattflyer and rcg. truly Nigel,you have a good heart,and lots of [more than i do]knowledge of our shared hobby we all love,so don't change my friend,your great the way you are!!!!and if your ever in the neighborhood of mine,pm me and we will load up the car and go flying,i guarantee you good time flying!

lastly,I'm very bummed you still stuck away from home and am hoping in my "faithful "way that you get back to your family. [oh heck,who cares what others think,i said a prayer for your trip home to happen now]
take care and see ya around the forums. stu
Old 03-31-2012, 03:02 PM
solentlife
Super Contributor

No worries Stu ... I'm just a scrooge at heart and want gold for bronze money !

I'm told that I may fly out Tuesday - if I give go-ahead to load out the jet-fuel ...

Only trouble is - I don't think bungee will be at home for a while ...

Anyway - no worries ... I'm not negative - just careful !

Let me know all about your tests with the gun - I am 50-50 on buying one myself ...

Nigel

Quick Reply: Hobbyking parkjet...need for speed!!!!!!!!!!!!!

Contact Us Archive Advertising Cookie Policy Privacy Statement Terms of Service

Copyright 2018 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.

Page generated in 0.16267 seconds with 31 queries