Hobbyking parkjet...need for speed!!!!!!!!!!!!! - Page 26 - WattFlyer RC Electric Flight Forums - Discuss radio control eflight

Pusher Park Jets For all pusher jets and jet-like models.

Hobbyking parkjet...need for speed!!!!!!!!!!!!!

Old 07-20-2013, 05:22 PM
tobydogs
love to build!

I'm having issues posting on the hk site for discussion. my take on the new pkj2 version is this......when i get the funjet and 2 pkj's in my hanger dopplered I'll consider p/u the new pkj2. the motor mount looks better.

heres the thing regarding the new design,it is what it is! and if we all agree to use it as a base build for the fastest pkj2 speed record...i'm all in. in fact i hope to try the 3000kv dons,80amp esc,4cell 1300mah 30c soon on a beat up pkj frame,but would love to transfer all into a new airframe. [real beat up, as is now].

again,lets research this new airframe pkj2 and go forward with freaking speed designs. weather today right now 90degs and only a little breeze,but high humidity. almost unbearable to take the dogs for a walk more or less stand in a field and sun flying. so today is the day i leisurely clean the finishing touches in the garage so the storage bins in my workshop can be moved out there and the shelves in my workshop can hold my hanger neatly in the workshop....no more planes littering all the surfaces and leaning against the bins and walls.my little workshop area is about to become 100% rc only[a man cave for sure].
Old 07-20-2013, 05:51 PM
solentlife
Super Contributor

The message I had from HK..... posted earlier, stated clearly : better and cheaper version 2.....

So what happened..?

I will probably give it a try... but I'm concerned at lack of size and room for decent battery. Who knows - maybe it will do the job, but I fear that a lot of the work done is now wasted on this mini job.

Nigel
Old 07-20-2013, 08:15 PM
tobydogs
love to build!

DANG INTERNATIONAL SHIPPING COST'S,i was considering buying one until the cost of shipping was $35 for a $22 plane.....gotta be kidding me if they think i'm paying $54 for a plane that cheap.

the artech skyfun costs $40 for the kit and shipping wouldn't be $14,either way it's a loose $$ situation and for the time being not high on my to do list. if hk puts the pkj2 in the usa warehose and shipping gets real,then i'm back in the need for speed game. till then i still have 2 flyable pkj's to test out.
Old 07-21-2013, 08:21 AM
solentlife
Super Contributor

I tested the check-out and total for me was just over $50 ........... sorry but for a bit of foam in a kit form ... no sir !

I'm back on my scratchbuilds ...

Nigel
Old 08-18-2013, 10:54 PM
tobydogs
love to build!

i know the hkpkj need for speed thread is dead due to the ripoff rise in price for the plane and shipping cost. but i will be entering some speed runs very soon. I've ordered a new transmitter due to arrive and Wed's the 21st.its a hitec eclipse 7 pro,aside from having all the hitec receivers in my planes,i only have 8 model memory in the hitec optic 6i bought new last fall. now the eclipse's will have 16 model memory and that means i can dial in the trim settings for the usable fleet in the hanger and not have to loose them every time i program in another plane. i also bumped the funjet programing for the skimmer sail plane in the optic6. the mini extra from ak models got programed in the hkpkjs spot and immediately deleted again for the greatplanes extra 300s kit build i maidened this weekend . it flys really fast on a power 60 eflight,100amp cc esc,and 7cell's zippies 4000mah 40c liposusing a 15x8apc e prop. best part is the ws is 64" and the radar gue should be very easy to point at this bird as she speeds on by.a group of pilots sitting under the tent thought it had to be close to 100mph...lol...not likely ..lol,maybe high 70's but real powerful.

....what a PIA reprogramming all the time. also hated leaving little kit builds hanging on the walls do to lack of desire to do the delete /install in the optic6 for one days desire to take them with me to the field!!!

now i can use the optic6 for the small parkflyers and the eclipse7 for the better larger birds. my need for speed recording of the funjet and pkj's is closer then ever as i also asked my daughter to be the second personto keep me company one evening so the club field hopfully will be all mine to fly and doppler on.
Old 08-28-2013, 06:10 PM
dahawk
Super Contributor

Guys,

Here ya go. Amazon has Euro warehouses too. The Jpowers screamer. Might just be that cheap, fast, test bed you've been searching for to break the sound barrier:

http://www.amazon.com/gp/product/B00...=5336432818-20

-Hawk
Old 09-16-2013, 11:06 AM
solentlife
Super Contributor

A few original PKJ's appeared on HK a short while ago - yes you guessed - snapped up so fast they never touched shelf !!

So lets see if HK can snag up a few more !! It's fairly obvious that the later smaller version is not really suitable replacement.

Nigel
Old 11-27-2013, 01:38 PM
dahawk
Super Contributor

In the quest for max speed, I came upon this one. 125mph /201 kph :http://youtu.be/VVVElQxnGNo

Looks like a cheap and easy DIY scratchbuild. Could reduced drag with more Delta. Nigel could pump one of these out of his man cave in a few hours.
Old 11-27-2013, 04:45 PM
solentlife
Super Contributor

Originally Posted by dahawk View Post
In the quest for max speed, I came upon this one. 125mph /201 kph :http://youtu.be/VVVElQxnGNo

Looks like a cheap and easy DIY scratchbuild. Could reduced drag with more Delta. Nigel could pump one of these out of his man cave in a few hours.
Fast but if you notice the 119's are in a curved path ... not straight.. The lower speed figs are more straight and accurate.

If it was with my guys doing speed checks - they would likely be discounted ... sorry.

Hopefully once my PKJ twin gets airborn - THEN we will see some speed !

Yes I am very critical of some of the Youtube vids !!

Nigel
Old 11-27-2013, 04:59 PM
dahawk
Super Contributor

Can't wait to see your twin PKJ fly. I only mentioned it because I have this same Grayson super mega hanging off the back of my Jpowers Katana. Will try to get her going again.
Old 11-27-2013, 06:42 PM
solentlife
Super Contributor

Can't wait to see your twin PKJ fly. I only mentioned it because I have this same Grayson super mega hanging off the back of my Jpowers Katana. Will try to get her going again.
I don't Doubt Grayson are fast ... but that vid was ... shall we say ... a victim of excitement ?

The vid gives impression that the sport radar gun is easy and gives good results .. sorry but plenty people can testify to that not being the case ... ask Stu (tobydogs) !!

We had a Pro Police gun at one meet ... had about a 50% hit rate with it ... that is half the flybys couldn't be recorded properly.

Nigel
Old 11-28-2013, 01:15 PM
dahawk
Super Contributor

Here you go. The HK Android/I-phone Doppler app: http://youtu.be/gF3rgE9aS5I

I suspect the readings are fairly accurate, +/- a few mph/kph versus radar. I know in terms of a db monitor, I've used an I-phone app that was almost equally as good as a very expensive industrial grade DB meter instrument.
Old 11-30-2013, 12:45 PM
solentlife
Super Contributor

Here you go. The HK Android/I-phone Doppler app: http://youtu.be/gF3rgE9aS5I

I suspect the readings are fairly accurate, +/- a few mph/kph versus radar. I know in terms of a db monitor, I've used an I-phone app that was almost equally as good as a very expensive industrial grade DB meter instrument.
This is actually the RC Speedo app under licence to HK.

Prior to this - we had the difficult to use apps where you extracted the WAV sound file from videos ... ran through a PC app ... displayed the WAV file and selected a sequence to analyse. It was very unreliable and often failed to work.

RC Speed came along and combined all into an easy to use app .. Free for PC, few $ for I-phone or Android.

The only thing to watch - is that you must have internet connection every so often to keep the licence validated. I don't know if that's stil case since HK took over ?

I like the ability to hold phone when watching Youtube etc. and read of direct speeds.

I've even sat at side of road and checked against cars /motorbikes ... we have a Radar fixed sign near my house ... it's a polite warning sign ... not a trap. So far both have read same.

Nigel
Old 06-08-2014, 03:00 AM
tobydogs
love to build!

it's been a while since I've flown the parkjet...sooooo,it loaded in the car with the funjet ultra along with the bungee launcher. batteries are being charged as i type.

other preparations are i redown loaded hobbyking Doppler. the original Doppler app was sold to hk. i didn't have to pay for it as its the same program i purchased as rcspeedo years ago.

another prep is my keychain camera is charged and the memory card emptied for videoing via my hat.

other planes going to the field Sunday are the 540-t edge and superfly foamy. i want to wait on the funjet/parkjet till the bulk of the pilots leave. doppler won't work with others flying. also my need for speed isn't shared by many older folks...lol. around 2pm they leave.

i hope the key chain camera will p/u sound as i will also try to get the doppler reading at home. who knows,maybe this weekend i get a award for beating the 100mph mark.
Old 06-08-2014, 04:14 AM
tobydogs
love to build!

just for laughs,here a vid of my frisbee toss last weekend. i think with a little practice and using low settings for the tx it would be successful.

crash hand toss pkj

• No views
  • 49 minutes ago
Old 06-08-2014, 05:40 AM
solentlife
Super Contributor

I still have my 222 PKJ and the Twin of course ....

Just got to psych myself up for it !!

Would be good to get NfS going again !!

Nigel
Old 06-08-2014, 12:50 PM
tobydogs
love to build!

hey there fellow speed freak,i hope you just get yourself home soon and stay there a bit to enjoy the home front.
as for the need for speed,i seem to have drifted to the edf dark side. the GP f-20 flew faster then the stinger and is a bit squirrelly with those small wings. still,she only goes 80+mph which we both know doesn't get the Adrenalin flowing to much.

the toughest part of NFS flights is prepping setup,finding downed pkj's in the tall 2ft+ high grass that now surrounds our field. and leaving other planes home I'd rather be flying. i really hope to get a few videos of the funjet and pkj today. weather...sunshine!!! 5-10mph winds. perfect!!

i must admit though Nigel,i really do want to see the pkj twin motor fly. just for the sake of knowing it did.

flights will be made after church this afternoon and i'm hoping the field won't be to crowed so i can get airtime alone to doppler the runs. we shall see,at the very least i will attemp both birds and video them to share. stu
Old 06-09-2014, 01:03 AM
tobydogs
love to build!

failed again,minimal damage,she lives to fly again....or at least crash again.

0:42
trimed vid of failed pkj bungee launch
Old 06-09-2014, 07:59 AM
solentlife
Super Contributor

That appeared to be too much aileron but not enough elevator ?

I see you have the pipe insulation on the rails ... I took mine off - I found it caused friction with it's non-smooth surface. The plastic rails had smoother surface.
I did think about packing tape along the insulation to make more shiny smooth ... but in the end just removed it.

Me going home ? Office keeps saying they are trying to sort something .. so lets hope !

I plan to be home a month - as I have trip to UK to make - Summer Home to get rid of and see my sons ... maybe even find some of my old models from Ex's place to take home !

Nigel
Old 06-10-2014, 04:34 AM
tobydogs
love to build!

i believe your right Nigel on the aileron/elevator along with dumb thumbs. i also think having a video of the launch shows the bungee is stretched to far and i didn't need such a fast launch. the pkj must have hit a hundred mph for that short flight....doesn't that count for an award?[jk]

the vertical fins and the motor mount broke in the failed launch, and the motors shaft got pretty badly bent. it has 3/4inch of shaft showing to put pliers to and i think it's straight enough to have another go.it's remounted and everything is ready.

the funjet weighs considerably more than the parkjet and i should remember to reduce the bungees pull for the parkjet. hopefully i will try again this weekend,so i will leave the launcher in the car,once it finds it's way back into the garage it tends to stay there. to bad theres no place I'd leave it at the field.
Old 06-10-2014, 07:13 AM
solentlife
Super Contributor

I now have two bungees .... the 6mm for the light stuff and 8mm for the heavy. But until I bought the 8mm - I used same tension for everything ... around the 6kg mark. Even on the PKJ and 50's.
My PKJ is recorded on the V3 speed checker as hitting 113KPH on exit of rails ... I had a motor fail one time and she launched deadstick ... the display showed what she'd reached in that launch !
The 50mm T45 did same with a purpose launch deadstick.

I'm waiting to hear about my travel .. IF any happens ...

I know what you mean about noise ... it is a bit difficult sometimes to get a clean recording and of course the days that are best for it - are also best for other flyers !!
I'm lucky that when home - I'm home without any drudgery of working ! So I can go flying any day I want.
This suits the airfield as well - we have free access during working hours weekdays.

Nigel
Old 06-15-2014, 01:29 AM
Brick
small Member

I need to go ahead and build me a bungy launcher.
Old 06-15-2014, 02:03 PM
dahawk
Super Contributor

I have the "Jetapult™ and tested it yesterday. Was very windy but I wanted to give it a go anyway. Have 3 planes now equipped with hooks: 50mm Red Arrows Goshawk, 64mm 4S Stinger and 70mm FMS F4 Phantom. So, 50, 64 and 70mm.

The Jetapult™ is much shorter in rail length than most I've seen. No rail covering. Was a concerned about the small lip from the pvc t-connectors on the end.

Waytooslow helped me on setup.

First attempt was with the 50mm T-45. Did not have a scale so simply guessed at the tension. First launch, the plane went off too low and bounced off the ground. But she got airborne anyway. Partial success.

Next up was the Stinger 64 4S. Not enough tension. So, we extended the bungee stake out another 3 feet. and placed a brick under the front end of the launcher to give it a little more angle. Presto ! Worked great.

Unfortunately, near the end of the flight I took the Stinger straight in. Repairable.

It was so windy ( 15-25) that I gave up on risking the Phantom.

But I now have the recipe for future flights. 5 paces or about 15 ft. ( 3 meters ) out from the front of the launcher. It will be probably way overkill for the 50mm jobs and just enough for the heavier, 70mm's. Should work for all three sizes so I don't have to re-stake it every time.

The only challenge is that for the longer planes like the F4, the tail section overhangs the aft of the launcher such that it will be tricky to slip my foot underneath to reach the pedal. Still do-able though.
Old 06-15-2014, 02:13 PM
solentlife
Super Contributor

The T connectors - what many people do is to cut the top of the T part so rails still clip in but there's no ridge on top of the rail.
I've actually cut mine so I can push - snap fit the rails in ...

Look closely at the long front vertical H ....

Tension .... a fishing scale is all you need and pace out the distance. That way you know x paces = y tension.
Good starting point is 6x the model weight.

Nigel
Old 06-15-2014, 02:44 PM
dahawk
Super Contributor

Thanks Nigel,

Yes, I hear differing opinions all over the place. Your 6X makes the most sense. One guy had told me 2X the model weight was the "rule of thumb" --Not.

I think I can modify the connectors as you suggested in order to eliminate the bump. The Jetapult™ must be less than 1/2 the ramp length you're showing. Mine is only about 26" (660mm) in overall length. Did not seem like I need a long ramp length anyway. Worked fine once I got the tension dialed in and placed a small 2" brick under the front.

Quick Reply: Hobbyking parkjet...need for speed!!!!!!!!!!!!!

Contact Us Archive Advertising Cookie Policy Privacy Statement Terms of Service

Copyright 2018 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.

Page generated in 0.14659 seconds with 13 queries