3D Flying Discuss everything related to "3D" flying including construction, power setups and flying techniques

New! Parkzone Sukhoi Su-26m BNF

Old 09-28-2009, 03:38 AM
Dingo7222

This plane is insanely easy to fly, in my opinion. Ive been flying for over a year now and I can tell I must have been lucky. My Sukhoi was actually tail heavy with the battery in the back of the tray all it wanted to do was high alpha.
Old 09-29-2009, 04:02 AM
Vrodchip

Default Tough Maiden

Found one at the local HS. The boss was with me,, and she saw the "want" in my eyes,, so we brought my new plane home. After the rough first flight, I'm scratching my head. The plane lifted right off, but at the first roll input, it immediately tip stalled and wallowed around as I struggled with it,, finally I just cut power and it dropped like a stone. Snapped the prop at the root. This was from an easy let down in the grass? This model is way nose heavy out of the box? I know that this is not the case with all of them out of the box, but I was pretty disappointed with my first attempt. Fortunately no real harm done,, second prop mounted, CG adjusted to 34mm,, just need some calm air for the next attempt.......... To be continued
Old 09-29-2009, 04:26 AM
robertloop

Originally Posted by Vrodchip View Post
Found one at the local HS. The boss was with me,, and she saw the "want" in my eyes,, so we brought my new plane home. After the rough first .....
Yeah. Nose heavy outta the box. Put the battery as far back as you can. I broke my prop on the first flight too. I'm pretty sure the glue they use to glue the spinner on weakens the props. I'm on the extra prop that came with it and its been into the pavement countless times. The tips have been ground down pretty far and no breakage. I even bought two extras that I havn't used yet.
Just need to get the C.G. to where they say and its a great plane. I'm flying mine at 30mm.

edit... BTW... the prop unscrews from the prop shaft. Dont try to just pull it off. Thread on the new prop and go...
Old 09-29-2009, 04:33 AM
Vrodchip

Originally Posted by robertloop View Post
Yeah. Nose heavy outta the box. Put the battery as far back as you can. I broke my prop on the first flight too. I'm pretty sure the glue they use to glue the spinner on weakens the props. I'm on the extra prop that came with it and its been into the pavement countless times. The tips have been ground down pretty far and no breakage. I even bought two extras that I havn't used yet.
Just need to get the C.G. to where they say and its a great plane. I'm flying mine at 30mm.

edit... BTW... the prop unscrews from the prop shaft. Dont try to just pull it off. Thread on the new prop and go...
I think you are correct, the CA glue on that black foam spinner weakens the prop. It took me quite awhile to figure out the prop replacement. Felt pretty stupid after just screwing it off. I pulled the shaft to be able to get a grip on it.

Thanks for the pointers
Old 10-01-2009, 02:20 AM
Vrodchip

Thumbs up

CG adjusted to 34mm,, just need some calm air for the next attempt.......... To be continued
Ok,, CG adjusted to ~34, calm air, she takes to the sky with a short take off run. I make some gentle turns,,, I'm out in front of my house, so there are trees and other challenges, I finally manage to get a few clicks of trim,,, a few left clicks aileron, and a few up clicks on the elevator. She will fly hands off. This is more like the maiden flight I was hoping for. Ok, the plane seems underpowered. On low rates, it is fairly docile. When I cut the throttle,, the braking effect of the prop is very pronounced and makes it tough to grease in a landing. Really need to land with the power on. 2nd flight I do a few roles and switch to hi rates. My fear of sticking it in a tree causes a momentary orientation issue and I'm all over the place and then straight into the tree trunk,,,, ouch. Amazingly, no real damage. A nick on a wing tip and a nick on the cowling. This is one tough little airplane. I have some GWS 5043 props on the way. I hope this improves the power issue. I would have to agree to some extent, it is easy to fly once you know what to expect. But,,,,, it's tiny and if you get disoriented,,, wow, it will wind up quick and hit something. I was able to "dress" up the scratches I applied to my new plane with some fine sandpaper. All in all, I can't wait to try it again tomorrow evening
Old 10-01-2009, 02:48 AM
Son of Paleface
Ozzie Express Wiggy Pilot

GET EM NOW
http://www.hobbycity.com/hobbycity/s...sho_Minium_Etc)

IAN
Old 10-01-2009, 05:02 PM
HeadMaster

I have some GWS 5043 props on the way. I hope this improves the power issue. I would have to agree to some extent, it is easy to fly once you know what to expect. But,,,,, it's tiny and if you get disoriented,,, wow, it will wind up quick and hit something. I was able to "dress" up the scratches I applied to my new plane with some fine sandpaper. All in all, I can't wait to try it again tomorrow evening
Youll be all smiles when you put the 5043 on. I would recommend flying the plane in a more open area over grass.....pretty much indestructible that way. Youll have trouble in a tight space with the speed increase of the 5043.

Next youll want to put some lights on it....I fly mine more at night now than during the day.
Old 10-01-2009, 05:07 PM
HeadMaster

The 240mh 20c are back in stock too....those are my favorite with the 5043 prop. You get 10 mins of flight time without a problem....Ive flown as long as 15 min before hitting lvc.
Old 10-01-2009, 09:30 PM
Son of Paleface
Ozzie Express Wiggy Pilot

Yep been flying mine since August 1st on a GWS 4043 prop in the correct thread (this WONT fly 3D) so it shouldnt be here.............................

http://www.wattflyer.com/forums/show...t=41492&page=5

Ian
Old 10-02-2009, 01:45 AM
Vrodchip

Originally Posted by HeadMaster View Post
Youll be all smiles when you put the 5043 on. I would recommend flying the plane in a more open area over grass.....pretty much indestructible that way. Youll have trouble in a tight space with the speed increase of the 5043.

Next youll want to put some lights on it....I fly mine more at night now than during the day.
Ok,, Did a quick flight with the 5043. Now that's more like it. Round loops, much more prop clearance and you can get some altitude (it actually flys like a serious model now.) Thanks all for the pointers. In regards to lights, I am already focused in on that orange glow from the "brick". I would give it a shot with some wing tip lights and a tail light past dusk.

Last edited by Vrodchip; 10-02-2009 at 02:06 AM.
Old 10-02-2009, 02:01 AM
autorail1

Do you have a link to these props

Originally Posted by HeadMaster View Post
The 240mh 20c are back in stock too....those are my favorite with the 5043 prop. You get 10 mins of flight time without a problem....Ive flown as long as 15 min before hitting lvc.
Old 10-02-2009, 03:33 PM
bassplayinDude

Originally Posted by autorail1 View Post
Do you have a link to these props
http://www.radicalrc.com/shop/?shop=...3107626&cat=34

The 5030 & 5043 are listed under GWS Direct & Hyper Drive Props and cost a buck apiece at Radical RC. Ordered a few props and some laser cut plywood prop adapters with shipping for $10 and it was at my house in less than a week.
Old 10-02-2009, 04:19 PM
HeadMaster

. I would give it a shot with some wing tip lights and a tail light past dusk.
tinybrightlights makes the light set for the plane....plug and play. Red, green, on the wing tips....white tail strobe and white nose light. They only add 1gram to the plane and plug right into the gear slot on the brick. Well worth the $29. Very bright.
Old 10-06-2009, 04:26 AM
robertloop

Just ordered 2 5030 GWS props and 2 5043 props with the adapters from radicalRC. 9 bucks! BTW.. dont try the GWS EP-4540 prop on the Sook. Lame. WAY less thrust than the stock prop.
Old 10-09-2009, 01:59 AM
Dingo7222

Originally Posted by robertloop View Post
Just ordered 2 5030 GWS props and 2 5043 props with the adapters from radicalRC. 9 bucks! BTW.. dont try the GWS EP-4540 prop on the Sook. Lame. WAY less thrust than the stock prop.
Try Gws Props, http://www.gwsprops.com/ I got 2 5043 props and the prop adapters and shipping for $5.50 Shipping is $1.50 for the U.S.
Old 11-04-2009, 01:14 AM
autorail1

What direction to unscrew Prop?

I think you are correct, the CA glue on that black foam spinner weakens the prop. It took me quite awhile to figure out the prop replacement. Felt pretty stupid after just screwing it off. I pulled the shaft to be able to get a grip on it.

Thanks for the pointers
Old 11-04-2009, 01:24 AM
Vrodchip

Originally Posted by autorail1 View Post
What direction to unscrew Prop?
It is a normal "righty tighty, lefty loosy".
Old 11-22-2009, 09:53 PM
clutchbob

Righty tighty as you face the nose. The white plastic prop shaft keeper is threaded the opposite way.
I also found a great prop adapter/saver in an old servo gearset. The original shaft threads right in and the 5043 prop press fits nicely on the smaller gear.
Old 08-16-2020, 10:53 PM
superdow

Originally Posted by ravenphoto View Post
It will hover with mods such as repositioning electronics changing where the weight is higher in the plane with no upgrades to electronics or prop.
I don't hover close to the ground,,,,but at high or even mid rates have no problem without any type of mods. I run a 3200 3 cell battery jammed as far forward as possible. I fly the gen 2.