Warbird Electrics Discuss e-powered warbirds in here!

Rebuilt Spitfire ready to go-wish me luck!

Old 07-09-2008, 10:50 PM
Larry G
E-Pilot

Default Rebuilt Spitfire ready to go-wish me luck!

A couple of months ago I wrecked my box-stock PZ Spitfire. It had about 25 flights with the Nimh battery packs when I spanked it in and ripped off the tail just forward of the horizontal stab, and removed the right wing.
I was getting bored with the stock power output, and poor roll rate due in part to short throws on the ailerons.

Since then I picked up a DX6i, 3s2100 Lipos, Turnigy 35-30a 1700kv motor and 40 amp controller. I installed the motor in my heavily modded (36oz) Super Cub to test it out, and it pulls really hard with a 8X4 APC prop.

Finally got the tail and wing epoxied back on. I ran a pair of CF tubes out each wing to about halfway on the aileron, joined in the center with epoxy in a v-shape. A second tube was installed further back on the wing, only coming out 5" on each side. I patched the missing chunks of foam, and used microlite covering film to patch up the skin. The wing now feels really solid.

I worked on the aileron cables and failed to get them working good, so I milled out pockets on the top of the wings and ran short Stryker pushrods. I ran the Y-harness out the bottom of the wing in the slots left from the removed cables. Ailerons are now crisp and adjustable for plenty of throw.

I built a wood motor mount to bolt up to the stock firewall, and it hangs the big Turnigy out far enough to line up the spinner with the stock cowl. The AR6100 receiver was mounted where the original RX was, and the speed controller is zip tied to the plastic frame near the back of the wing. It could be moved fore or aft to adjust balance. The lipo is a tight squeeze in the stock battery tray, so no adjustment there.

The darn thing balanced out right where I wanted it, 65mm back from the leading edge, which is maybe just a tad nose heavy. Stock weight is published as 26oz, mine now hits the scale at 29oz.

I thought I'd go with a slightly smaller prop on the maiden, is that a good idea?

Let me know if you want to see some pics of the mods.

Wish me luck!

Larry
Old 07-10-2008, 01:37 AM
Grasshopper
Some Assembly Required

Good luck with the maiden Larry. It sounds like you've given it a good work over. And yes, we always like pictures.
Old 07-10-2008, 01:43 AM
pd1
Still Learning

Good luck on the test flight.
I'm not trying to be sarcastic, by why do you want a smaller prop?

Paul
Old 07-10-2008, 04:15 AM
Larry G
E-Pilot

Originally Posted by pd1 View Post
Good luck on the test flight.
I'm not trying to be sarcastic, by why do you want a smaller prop?

Paul

I don't know, I thought maybe less thrust would be "tamer" for the maiden, but maybe more is better? When I maidened the aileron wing Super Cub with the motor and it was way out of trim, the thing was spinning like crazy but was hanging on the prop and pointed up so maybe that allowed me to get enough altitude to get a handle on it?

I've been flying a year now but am self taught and don't know all the proper ways to do things.
Old 07-10-2008, 05:28 AM
Larry G
E-Pilot

Default Some pics

Here are some pics........

Motor mount is hobby plywood with light hardwood dowells. Bolts on to stock location.

40 amp Turnigy speed controller zip tied to the frame. I flipped the elevator servo around for extra clearance so the wires woudn't tangle with the servo arm.

Aileron servo mounted in the wing. Went for top mount since its a belly lander. I flipped over the stock horns and relocated further inboard. I have since painted the servo green and blackened the arm with a sharpie to make it less noticable.

Old 07-10-2008, 12:05 PM
pd1
Still Learning

Larry I would suggest you go with a prop that works best for speed and thrust without overloading the motor.

That said, you can reduce the throttle to make the plane a little "tamer".

You don't have to fly full power the whole flight.
Fly a speed that you feel comfortable with.

Good luck.
Paul
Old 07-10-2008, 09:02 PM
DetroitHawk
Super Awesome

that looks like a big motor, just make sure your CG is spot on and GL let us know how it goes.
Old 07-11-2008, 12:01 AM
Rick Marshall (Thud)

Default Guess we are Flying this weekend!

So Early Sat or Sunday? If we are looking at Sunday I might be able to breath some life in the Lead Slead FW190! We could try them both, that would mean a crying towel for each of us :-) You know Just in case!
Old 07-11-2008, 12:58 AM
Larry G
E-Pilot

Originally Posted by Rick Marshall (Thud) View Post
So Early Sat or Sunday? If we are looking at Sunday I might be able to breath some life in the Lead Slead FW190! We could try them both, that would mean a crying towel for each of us :-) You know Just in case!
Sunday might be good. Hopefully wind and sprinklers will cooperate.
I made the mistake of touching up the paint on the Spit before the test flight, doesn't that curse me a bit?
Old 07-13-2008, 11:16 PM
Larry G
E-Pilot

Default The Spitfire survives its test flight!!!!!

Took the Spitfire out this morning to give it a go. I decided to throw it myself because I'm left handed and can toss it real well with my left, and keep my right thumb on the stick. And I think my buddy Rick (who after the last crash said it would never fly again) din't want to be one to send it to its death.

Went with full throttle, and she climbed out real nicely. Seemed to be trimmed decent, I only dialed in 2 clicks of down elevator. Was kinda scarey, this Turnigy motor has mucho power and makes the Spit accelerate like crazy. Zoom climbs are unreal, I must have done a 300' diameter loop! Tried a high speed level pass, maybe 60-70 MPH? It will maintain level flight about 1/3 throttle.

The dual aileron servos vastly improved the roll rate. I'd say stock it took 2 seconds to go around, now it will do it in about a second, and I have more throw to dial in if I want to.

Still seems to have pretty good low speed handling, but I need to set up a tamer dual rate for landing.

The morning sky was overcast, and I couldn't see the Spit well, and got into some trouble with orientation, but managed to keep some air under it. I have been flying my red white and blue Super Cub, and kinda forgot how hard the Spit can be to see in certain conditions.

Only flew it for 2 eight minute flights, and then decided to take it home in one piece. Only damage was the prop spinner pop-on nose came off up in the air and vanished. Seemed like it was on tight, but maybe with this motor I need to put some tape on the seam.

Sorry, no in flight pics, but here it is on the field. My paint color mixing skills not to shabby, eh?

Old 07-13-2008, 11:53 PM
radweld

Nice one, you can set your radio for expodential, I usually use 40% positive to dull down the control a little but still keep max control throw, dead easy to set up on a DX6i
Old 07-15-2008, 05:41 PM
Larry G
E-Pilot

Originally Posted by radweld View Post
Nice one, you can set your radio for expodential, I usually use 40% positive to dull down the control a little but still keep max control throw, dead easy to set up on a DX6i
Thanks Rad! I've got it at +35% now, will try bumping it up. I wonder at what point too much expo is bad?
Old 07-15-2008, 06:05 PM
radweld

It's all down to feel really, no good or bad it's what works for you.
Old 07-17-2008, 03:46 AM
pablo27

Hi guys, have you any suggestions for expo settings on a Ripmax Spit ? I've had a few flights without any added but wanted to try with.
Old 07-17-2008, 10:21 PM
radweld

Originally Posted by pablo27 View Post
Hi guys, have you any suggestions for expo settings on a Ripmax Spit ? I've had a few flights without any added but wanted to try with.
Start at +40-50% and adjust from there, the higher the number the slower the response will be in the middle of the stick and more pronounced the full rate will be when you get to the end of the sticks travel.
Old 07-17-2008, 10:35 PM
pablo27

Originally Posted by radweld View Post
Start at +40-50% and adjust from there, the higher the number the slower the response will be in the middle of the stick and more pronounced the full rate will be when you get to the end of the sticks travel.
Thanks for the tip, I have only ever used it on my Multiplex Gemini, which suggests +30 %, I'll give it a go the next time I fly the Spitty.
Old 07-27-2008, 01:41 AM
Larry G
E-Pilot

Default Aileron test info

I flew the Spit for about 30 minutes today, and did some roll testing. The extra throw from dual aileron servos really make it snap around at medium to high throttle. Slow rolls at higher speeds track pretty well too.

I then set the throttle to cruise at the max speed the Spit would have flown with the stock motor and battery. The roll was quicker than it was with the stock ailerons, but it still lost altitude when it went inverted and did kind of a barrel roll.

So I'm thinking the slow roll of the stock Spit has a lot to do with lack of power and not just aileron throw. I would advise going with the brushless motor before working on the ailerons.

Now I have to learn to fly fast! Almost augered in today. Lost my bearing for just a second in a high speed flat turn, and the thing is shooting at the ground at such a high rate of speed.........I actually had to wipe off my sweaty palms after I got it back under control. Reminds me of when I first started flying.
Old 07-27-2008, 11:27 AM
pd1
Still Learning

Glad you're having good success.
Fast is fun...Sometimes.

Paul