Delta & Flying Wings Discuss electric powered delta (flying wing) style aircraft here.

Delta and Wing design Club

Old 03-23-2007, 10:12 AM
  #51  
flynut
Member
 
Join Date: Feb 2007
Location: union gap, wash.
Posts: 40
Default

Hi Chellie, as soon asi can figure how to post a pic. from my phone camera you"ll get to see my delta had fun building it more fun flying it. power from a gws brushless on 1100mah,8x6 prop, its stinking fast hope to build a larger delta soon. take care.
flynut is offline  
Old 03-23-2007, 12:52 PM
  #52  
skiman762
FFFC
Thread Starter
 
skiman762's Avatar
 
Join Date: Feb 2006
Location: North Carolina
Posts: 1,008
Default

Originally Posted by CHELLIE View Post
Hi Skiman762 I just had a thought, how about if all the club members vote over the weekend on the clubs name, that way it should give everyone time to sign into wattflyer and vote over 2 days, and Monday we will have a name, It looks like we have enough Club Members/Party Animals here to vote, Take care, Chellie

Sounds good
skiman762 is offline  
Old 03-23-2007, 01:23 PM
  #53  
GA-Flyer
GA-Flyer
 
GA-Flyer's Avatar
 
Join Date: Feb 2007
Location: Georgia
Posts: 159
Default

Thank you Chellie that is exactly what I wanted to hear for my electronics, I am at the point of where I need to get to ordering my stuff, your advice is a huge help.

Kosh, man you rock! You blew me away with your designs, awesome looking planes you have there, looks like you have your own airforce too, maybe you should start putting a KAF (Kosh Air Force) insignia on your planes...lol I was going to ask the question about putting some of my electronics underneath and if an aft prop would work well but seeing some of your wings answered those questions right off.

This is turning out to be really fun, I'll try to post some pictures of my white foam vette I did. Since then I have gotten some pink foam from HD, I am very excited to get started with it and no cracks about it being a pink corvette (like Barbie), but that's exactly what it will be...hmmm I wonder if Matel would be interested...lol

Doyle
GA-Flyer is offline  
Old 03-23-2007, 02:00 PM
  #54  
smokejohnson
Super Contributor
 
smokejohnson's Avatar
 
Join Date: Dec 2006
Location: Tulsa
Posts: 5,687
Default

Here's what I found looking back, if I missed any or you have new ideas don't be shy.

RC Foamaholics
Flat Foam Fanatics
Innovative RCRS
Extreme Foam Flyers
Flat Pack Flyers
Party Animals
The Crash and Burn Club
Delta Destroyers
Flat Foam Flying Circus
RC Cheapskates
smokejohnson is offline  
Old 03-23-2007, 02:52 PM
  #55  
GA-Flyer
GA-Flyer
 
GA-Flyer's Avatar
 
Join Date: Feb 2007
Location: Georgia
Posts: 159
Default

Might I also suggest Delta Scratch Masters

DD
GA-Flyer is offline  
Old 03-23-2007, 03:44 PM
  #56  
JoeBruce
Member
 
Join Date: Dec 2006
Location: Columbia, MD
Posts: 293
Default

Originally Posted by Kosh View Post
Heres some photos of past and current projects some of you may have seen before so your welcome to improvise on them. Be creative, try new designs and HAVE FUN !!!
Great designs, Kosh! Can't wait 'til I have time to build some, but all my free time for a while will be consumed by an upcoming move...
JoeBruce is offline  
Old 03-23-2007, 05:31 PM
  #57  
DIALED/CHUCK
Let's Get To Work...
 
DIALED/CHUCK's Avatar
 
Join Date: Oct 2005
Location: Virginia Beach, VA
Posts: 1,397
Default

Originally Posted by Kosh View Post
Hey Chuck,

Both of the planes below were made for a LSPP but I flew them with a 8x6 on a TP-1320 2 cell. Wings are 20" by 18" long and it will do limited hover yet still has the power to climb straight up from that. Theres no reason a 910 or 1320 - 3 cell cant do the same but faster. To tell you the truth the simple deltas like these were just more fun to fly and can be flown in smaller areas. These 2 planes happen to be my favorites to fly at the park.
I really like the one on the right. Are there plans for that or is that just a 'Cottage Concoction'. If its the latter, can you do some specs, I see you have a LS up front.

--C
DIALED/CHUCK is offline  
Old 03-23-2007, 07:58 PM
  #58  
CHELLIE
Super Contributor
 
CHELLIE's Avatar
 
Join Date: Oct 2006
Location: Hesperia, So. Calif
Posts: 19,264
Default

Originally Posted by flynut View Post
Hi Chellie, as soon asi can figure how to post a pic. from my phone camera you"ll get to see my delta had fun building it more fun flying it. power from a gws brushless on 1100mah,8x6 prop, its stinking fast hope to build a larger delta soon. take care.
Kewl sounds great Take care, Chellie
CHELLIE is offline  
Old 03-24-2007, 03:07 AM
  #59  
Ralph V
Member
 
Join Date: Oct 2006
Posts: 96
Default Cheap & easy flat foam Delta

Here is a couple of pictures of my cheap & easy delta. Its made from
6mm depron, packaging tape for hinges, regular CA (medium), cost to build
airframe about $1.00 . For power it has a GWS EDF-40 running a 2 cell
860 Ah battery, flight times 10 - 15 min. per charge, flys fast or slow. The
only carbon fiber used, was for the pushrods. After flight tests I
changed out the brush motor for a brushless, Feigao 1208425L (WOW)
what a screamer now. Too much fun for a Buck. If any one is interested
I made some drawings, Build time, about an hour.

Ralph V.
Attached Thumbnails Click image for larger version

Name:	Small Delta 001.jpg
Views:	1115
Size:	181.9 KB
ID:	26824   Click image for larger version

Name:	Small Delta 005.jpg
Views:	1090
Size:	26.4 KB
ID:	26825   Click image for larger version

Name:	Small Delta 013.jpg
Views:	620
Size:	30.7 KB
ID:	26826   Click image for larger version

Name:	Small Delta 014.jpg
Views:	595
Size:	27.6 KB
ID:	26827  
Ralph V is offline  
Old 03-24-2007, 03:52 AM
  #60  
CHELLIE
Super Contributor
 
CHELLIE's Avatar
 
Join Date: Oct 2006
Location: Hesperia, So. Calif
Posts: 19,264
Default

Originally Posted by Ralph V View Post
Here is a couple of pictures of my cheap & easy delta. Its made from
6mm depron, packaging tape for hinges, regular CA (medium), cost to build
airframe about $1.00 . For power it has a GWS EDF-40 running a 2 cell
860 Ah battery, flight times 10 - 15 min. per charge, flys fast or slow. The
only carbon fiber used, was for the pushrods. After flight tests I
changed out the brush motor for a brushless, Feigao 1208425L (WOW)
what a screamer now. Too much fun for a Buck. If any one is interested
I made some drawings, Build time, about an hour.

Ralph V.
Very Very Nice Job Ralph Yes I would say your in the right place Here Take care, Chellie

ps I think your having Way to much fun
CHELLIE is offline  
Old 03-24-2007, 03:59 AM
  #61  
GA-Flyer
GA-Flyer
 
GA-Flyer's Avatar
 
Join Date: Feb 2007
Location: Georgia
Posts: 159
Default

Ok, squeezed in a little delta work right after watching Dogfights on the History Channel. As you can see I have humble beginings, I am set up in my basement on my art table. I have cut out the basic shape of my wing and the white delta is my first attempt, I put some weight on it and gently launched it and got all excited, I put the weight about 6 inches (thank you Chellie) from the tip of the nose and it glided beautifully...muuuah.
The two blocks with the books on top are what will be the body of my vette, I have to glue two pieces together to get the width I need, btw I got these blocks from the bottom piece of foam board at HD, it seems they usually just toss these things in the trash, I missed my opportunity the first time I saw them do that but went back and got the "block piece" for half price. Anyway, I used Gorilla Glue so it should set in about 3 to 4 hours.

I talked to my neighbor who saw me flying my AHAA jet today and got him all excited...I am spreading the disease it seems...lol

Doyle
Attached Thumbnails Click image for larger version

Name:	3-19-2007 035.jpg
Views:	541
Size:	76.1 KB
ID:	26828   Click image for larger version

Name:	3-19-2007 036.jpg
Views:	692
Size:	76.9 KB
ID:	26829   Click image for larger version

Name:	3-19-2007 038.jpg
Views:	707
Size:	113.9 KB
ID:	26830   Click image for larger version

Name:	3-19-2007 037.jpg
Views:	601
Size:	96.3 KB
ID:	26831  
GA-Flyer is offline  
Old 03-24-2007, 04:02 AM
  #62  
Kosh
Super Contributor
 
Kosh's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jan 2006
Location: Bothell, Washington (by Seattle)
Posts: 3,445
Default

WOW ... Very nice work Ralph !!!

Has great looks and is unique with EDF power. Please add some more photos to show your battery placement on this looker. This design would also work very well as mid motor pusher prop setup as the battery can move farther forward to make CG right. Even as a pusher the design should work fine because you can hang the batter on the nose if needed.

Just my thoughts on deltas, If your still learning on them a mid motor setup just cant be beat. No matter how bad you crash it your motor and prop are still intact and hopefully with a few drops of CA your ready to fly again.

I will work on some measurements for you the weekend also Chuck but my stuff is all "Cottage". A chunk of foam, something that looks cool in your mind, Ruler or tape measure and just start hacking away... How can your go wrong?

Sometimes I get overrun by kids at the park with a overload of questions about everything. In the past I gave some foamy gliders to get them out of my landing area and it worked very well. Now I'm thinking delta on a stick, Rubber band launched with a good slow glide?
Kosh is offline  
Old 03-24-2007, 04:06 AM
  #63  
CHELLIE
Super Contributor
 
CHELLIE's Avatar
 
Join Date: Oct 2006
Location: Hesperia, So. Calif
Posts: 19,264
Default

Originally Posted by GA-Flyer View Post
Ok, squeezed in a little delta work right after watching Dogfights on the History Channel. As you can see I have humble beginings, I am set up in my basement on my art table. I have cut out the basic shape of my wing and the white delta is my first attempt, I put some weight on it and gently launched it and got all excited, I put the weight about 6 inches (thank you Chellie) from the tip of the nose and it glided beautifully...muuuah.
The two blocks with the books on top are what will be the body of my vette, I have to glue two pieces together to get the width I need, btw I got these blocks from the bottom piece of foam board at HD, it seems they usually just toss these things in the trash, I missed my opportunity the first time I saw them do that but went back and got the "block piece" for half price. Anyway, I used Gorilla Glue so it should set in about 3 to 4 hours.


I talked to my neighbor who saw me flying my AHAA jet today and got him all excited...I am spreading the disease it seems...lol

Doyle

Kewl, Its getting there Looking good, I like the pink color too
I think your a fellow, Foamaholic too Take care, Chellie
CHELLIE is offline  
Old 03-24-2007, 04:20 AM
  #64  
smokejohnson
Super Contributor
 
smokejohnson's Avatar
 
Join Date: Dec 2006
Location: Tulsa
Posts: 5,687
Default #2

Just found out this evening my wife has one in the oven !!!! I'm so happy I'm almost silly. Still not sure it's soaked in all the way yet. WHOA!!! I'm gonna have another baby.
smokejohnson is offline  
Old 03-24-2007, 04:23 AM
  #65  
JoeBruce
Member
 
Join Date: Dec 2006
Location: Columbia, MD
Posts: 293
Default

Congratulations, smoke!
JoeBruce is offline  
Old 03-24-2007, 04:43 AM
  #66  
CHELLIE
Super Contributor
 
CHELLIE's Avatar
 
Join Date: Oct 2006
Location: Hesperia, So. Calif
Posts: 19,264
Thumbs up Congratulations

Congratulations Johnson How did that Happen ? Take care, Chellie
CHELLIE is offline  
Old 03-24-2007, 04:44 AM
  #67  
Ralph V
Member
 
Join Date: Oct 2006
Posts: 96
Default

Thanks, Chellie & Kosh

Kosh if you look close at the first picture you can see the battery just
behind the reciever. I was going to use a mid mounted pusher, but the
sound from the EDF was way too cool, and with everything on top of the
wing I can set it on a picnic table, hit the throttle, and take off R.O.T.
(rise off table). I'll try to post my drawings. I bought some 6mm foam from
BP Hobbies a while back 10 sheets for $20.00, cut one sheet in half, and
built 2 planes (one to practice, the other to fly) the sheets came 19"X25".

Thanks
Ralph V.
Attached Thumbnails Click image for larger version

Name:	Small Delta.jpg
Views:	1193
Size:	111.9 KB
ID:	26833  
Ralph V is offline  
Old 03-24-2007, 04:59 AM
  #68  
Kosh
Super Contributor
 
Kosh's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jan 2006
Location: Bothell, Washington (by Seattle)
Posts: 3,445
Default

Smoke, Congrates from all your friends at Wattflyer.
Kosh is offline  
Old 03-24-2007, 05:01 AM
  #69  
GA-Flyer
GA-Flyer
 
GA-Flyer's Avatar
 
Join Date: Feb 2007
Location: Georgia
Posts: 159
Default

Congratulations Smoke! If she goes late you could have a Christmas baby...

Doyle
GA-Flyer is offline  
Old 03-24-2007, 05:07 AM
  #70  
Airhead
Redneck Member
 
Airhead's Avatar
 
Join Date: Dec 2006
Location: Huntsville AL.
Posts: 5,624
Default

Originally Posted by smokejohnson View Post
Just found out this evening my wife has one in the oven !!!! I'm so happy I'm almost silly. Still not sure it's soaked in all the way yet. WHOA!!! I'm gonna have another baby.
Good for you!!!
Congrats to you and your family..

I would like to get in on this delta club please. I'm a novice but I'm sure I could learn a lot from you guys. I have gotten quite a bit of encouragement from my RC advisor (Chellie)...
Thanks Folks....
Airhead is offline  
Old 03-24-2007, 05:17 AM
  #71  
flynut
Member
 
Join Date: Feb 2007
Location: union gap, wash.
Posts: 40
Default

Congratulations Smoke, another future pilot on the way.
flynut is offline  
Old 03-24-2007, 05:49 AM
  #72  
BatteriesIncluded
Ouch
 
BatteriesIncluded's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jan 2007
Location: Long Island, NY
Posts: 281
Default

Originally Posted by smokejohnson View Post
Just found out this evening my wife has one in the oven !!!! I'm so happy I'm almost silly. Still not sure it's soaked in all the way yet. WHOA!!! I'm gonna have another baby.
WOW! Congratulations! What great news for you.
BatteriesIncluded is offline  
Old 03-24-2007, 05:49 AM
  #73  
CHELLIE
Super Contributor
 
CHELLIE's Avatar
 
Join Date: Oct 2006
Location: Hesperia, So. Calif
Posts: 19,264
Default

Glad to have you here Bruce see what a little encouragement can do take care, Chellie
CHELLIE is offline  
Old 03-24-2007, 06:01 AM
  #74  
smokejohnson
Super Contributor
 
smokejohnson's Avatar
 
Join Date: Dec 2006
Location: Tulsa
Posts: 5,687
Default

Thanks everybody it's going to be great, I still can't stop smiling.

Looks great Ralph, looks like I will be experiencing all sorts of new flying. I've never flown a ducted fan and R.O.T. would be cool.

So will the planes name officially be the "Barbie Dream Car" Doyle? Just kidding it looks great.

Welcome aboard Bruce. I think we will all learn a lot from each other.
smokejohnson is offline  
Old 03-24-2007, 12:51 PM
  #75  
DIALED/CHUCK
Let's Get To Work...
 
DIALED/CHUCK's Avatar
 
Join Date: Oct 2005
Location: Virginia Beach, VA
Posts: 1,397
Default

Originally Posted by smokejohnson View Post
Thanks everybody it's going to be great, I still can't stop smiling.

Looks great Ralph, looks like I will be experiencing all sorts of new flying. I've never flown a ducted fan and R.O.T. would be cool.

So will the planes name officially be the "Barbie Dream Car" Doyle? Just kidding it looks great.

Welcome aboard Bruce. I think we will all learn a lot from each other.
SMOKE!

Kids costs about 18K a year....I got 2 (3 & 1)....BUY PLANES NOW!!!!! SMOKE!!!! YOU NEED TO GET YOUR STASH NOW!!! If you wait, you will be peppered with looks and single-raised-eyebrows every time you get out of the SUV with a bag from the LHS.

In seriousness, it's a blast...enjoy the pregnancy, enjoy the ups, laugh with the hormonal moments (my wife once broke down in Babies R Us and we still laugh about it)...and love those kids!

My first build will be the SJ "Baby Delta".

All my best,

--C
DIALED/CHUCK is offline  

Quick Reply: Delta and Wing design Club


Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service - Do Not Sell My Personal Information -

Copyright 2018 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.

Page generated in 0.15806 seconds with 20 queries