Delta & Flying Wings Discuss electric powered delta (flying wing) style aircraft here.

Zagi (48 inch wing span) with Stock Zagi 400

Old 11-27-2008, 03:19 AM
The Quiet Birdman

This is a test...Im new to this forum
Charlie
Old 11-27-2008, 03:32 AM
The Quiet Birdman

Originally Posted by guapoman2000 View Post
My Zagi is still flying and now with the new Thunder Power Extreme V-2's....zoom zoom!

I sure would like to pick your brain on a zagi 400x brushless upgrade...
My first try did not seem to get posted...I'm trying to find out if this is still
an active thread...
I'll be checking.
Regards
Charlie
Old 12-08-2008, 01:33 PM
guapoman2000
Space Ship 1

Originally Posted by The Quiet Birdman View Post
I sure would like to pick your brain on a zagi 400x brushless upgrade...
My first try did not seem to get posted...I'm trying to find out if this is still
an active thread...
I'll be checking.
Regards
Charlie
Test verified and step complete, yes, I have your attention!

Carlos
Old 12-08-2008, 01:50 PM
guapoman2000
Space Ship 1

Birdman,

What can I do for you?

Carlos
Old 12-08-2008, 02:01 PM
The Quiet Birdman

Default Zagi 400X Upgrade

Hi Carlos
I think I found a good upgrade package...but your comments would be appreciated...
HiMix 2815 2000 with a 17amp esc and a 5.5x4.5 prop...
HiMax says it will work and one of our club members is flying it with great results (For 2 wks)..
I originally wanted to go with the 6x4 prop like you had used...it would be a little dicy with the 17 amp esc but could be done with some left thumb restraint I guess.
By the way my intent it to use the power to get up into thermals and glide
A fellow in my club was up for over 50 min on Sat...I was impressed and cold (25 degrees F)
I have only a little experience with Lipos but I have been using Thunderpower like you and would probably like to stay with them.
I was planning to use the 2100 3s ProLite...
I took the little step on the front of the bottom canopy out and made it flush so I could put the battery as far forward as possible...Not having a battery to test with my guess is that it will need some lead up front...
I would rather not add lead and I think I remember you saying you did not
need any additional...I would appreciate any advice you have on cg.
Smooth Flying
Charlie
Old 12-08-2008, 03:08 PM
guapoman2000
Space Ship 1

Charlie,

As you may have noticed, I am using the Himax 2825-2300 all because I got a very good deal from the local hobby shop as the label was falling off and they thought it was a return from a warranty so, I got it for a cool $50.00

Your thoughts on going with the Himax 2815-2000 would be okay as it will be a lighter motor but, I would make sure you measure your Current Draw (AMPs) whenever you do set it up with the propeller and 3-Cell Li-POLYs.

Yes, I do insert my 3-Cell Li-POLYs all the way up front and the ZAGI is a great thermal beast.

When I get home, I will take some pictures of the setup without the cover so, you can see how my ZAGI flys.

Another good motor is the PARK ZONE Brushless that comes with the Brushless verions of the Stryker F-27 and I am going to try out their propeller 6 X 4 as it seems to give a better airspeed.

Carlos
Old 12-08-2008, 03:20 PM
The Quiet Birdman

I think you mentioned that you changed from pro lites to extremes
in one of your posts...
Did you have to use any lead ballast in eiter case to get the cg where it
should be?
Charlie
Old 12-09-2008, 02:11 PM
The Quiet Birdman

Hi Carlos
The folks at HiMax tell me that your motor is 2 oz heavier than the 2815...
Did the 2100 prolites provide enough weight up front or did you add some
lead?
Charlie
Old 12-09-2008, 02:44 PM
guapoman2000
Space Ship 1

Hi Carlos
The folks at HiMax tell me that your motor is 2 oz heavier than the 2815...
Did the 2100 prolites provide enough weight up front or did you add some
lead?
Charlie
Charlie,

To my surprise the ZAGI wing floats "soars" just great and during very windy conditions it does not get tossed around that much because it is carrying a little more weight than the stock speed 400 can brushed motor.

Recall that the only reason I got this motor was because of the great deal at the Hobby Shop and I said why not try it out and everything is history.

I have (Quantity 3) sets of 3-Cell, Thunder Power Extreme's V-2's and I still have not soldered the deans connector as of yet! Why? Because this is a 2nd warranty claim I made because the first set just died on me. Now, all I fly is Cheap Generic 3-Cell, 2200mAH, 20C, Li-POLYs and they are great!

Per Himax Motor Spec Page:
HA2825-2300 Kv = 2300, Rm = .078, Io = 0.5, Efficient Operating Current = 4-23A
Weight is 138 grams = 4.9oz.!!!

http://www.maxxprod.com/pdf/HA2825-xx00.pdf

Here is a couple of pictures as I promised.

Carlos
Attached Thumbnails Click image for larger version

Name:	Closeup.JPG
Views:	204
Size:	78.8 KB
ID:	86276   Click image for larger version

Name:	IMG_0414.jpg
Views:	220
Size:	116.4 KB
ID:	86277   Click image for larger version

Name:	IMG_0416.jpg
Views:	220
Size:	96.7 KB
ID:	86278   Click image for larger version

Name:	IMG_0417.jpg
Views:	226
Size:	92.4 KB
ID:	86279   Click image for larger version

Name:	IMG_0418.jpg
Views:	211
Size:	93.6 KB
ID:	86280  

Click image for larger version

Name:	IMG_0419.jpg
Views:	223
Size:	119.2 KB
ID:	86281   Click image for larger version

Name:	IMG_0420.jpg
Views:	237
Size:	91.5 KB
ID:	86282  

Last edited by guapoman2000; 12-12-2008 at 05:38 AM.
Old 12-09-2008, 03:13 PM
The Quiet Birdman

Great Pics Carlos
1. I guess you did not add any nose weight?
2. Sounds like you may have soured on Thunderpower batteries?
Did you have any problems on you prolites?
3. Any suggestions on generic Lipos...I like you do not want
to buy from Hobby City if I do not have to.
Charlie
Charlie
Old 12-09-2008, 05:13 PM
guapoman2000
Space Ship 1

Birdman,

1. Nope, no nose weight, the ZAGI balances perfectly with the Generic 3-Cell, 2200's that weigh a little over 6 oz.

2. No, I am not the only one with issues on the Extreme V-2's! I will be selling them on ebay very soon to give my daughter some $$$ cash for next semester expenses for university.

3. no, my old pro-lites which I do not have anymore as a result of turning them in for the Extreme V-2's were fantastic, however, they were the first generation PRO-LITES and not what you will get today.

4. Yes, ebay a store front called batteryworld.123
http://shop.ebay.com/merchant/batter...Q_fromZQQ_mdoZ

Hope this helps!
Carlos
Old 12-09-2008, 07:58 PM
The Quiet Birdman

Guapoman
That is great info..Thanks..
How long have you been using the ebay batteries? I like the price..
I have never bought from ebay...If I have a problem with a battery it says notify the vendor for return authorization but there is no way to communicate with them that I can see on the ebay site...
I noticed that you do not attach your battery per the zagi instuctions with a velcro
tab or 2 between the battery and the floor of the fuse...Is this due to severe g's you pull with the new power set up?
I cant tell...are the velcro strips glued to the sides of the fuse?
My fuse tapers in as you would push the battery down into it...at 35mm does your battery seat on the floor and sides without too much pressure...Im thinking that the velcro might make it a tight squeeze if it is on the sides as you have it.
My prolite battery is just about a yr old...I have no idea what gerneration it is...is there a way of telling? (I use it on a WingDraggon...it is a 1320 3s)
So many questions for such a little plane...But it is fun!
Old 12-09-2008, 08:28 PM
guapoman2000
Space Ship 1

Charlie,

I have a total of 6 of those 3-cell, 2200's, 20C and all of them came from the same person at ebay. I have had lots of flights with them in all of my models and not just the wings. Perhaps the oldest one (#1) is going over one year now and it still provides a good punch!

I can tell you that ebay is sound as it garantee's satifaction and there are ways through ebay to claim a dispute and ebay is very good about this as everyone either buyer and seller has what you call a profile %, the higher the number the better! But, in the end you need to be comfortable with using ebay.

I do have Velcro on the bottom of cockpit area and right underneath the battery. The other velcro shown in the pictures are glued on the sides of the Cockpit tray and hold the battery very well in those hard G's!

If your Li-POLY battery does not have any balance plug connector assume it is very old!!!

Carlos
Old 12-09-2008, 09:04 PM
The Quiet Birdman

Carlos
My Thunderpower 1320 3s does have a balance tab...Ive owned the battery for a year...I do not know how to tell if it is a 1st 2nd or 3rd generation...Maybe there is no way of telling. Apparently any prolite that
I buy now would be 3rd generation and may not be worth the upcharge of the Thunderpower brand ehh?

I have to learn how to buy on ebay I guess...the link you gave me said
I could pay by check...but Im not sure who or where to send it...
I do not have a pay pal account and Im not really comfortable doing MC over the world wide web. I guess that limits me.
I have seen many "buy now" items on ebay where the seller gave contact info...I guess this particular seller does not do it that way...
I looks like the battery fits like a glove and the price is right..
Charlie
Old 12-10-2008, 03:50 AM
guapoman2000
Space Ship 1

Default Thunder Power Li-POLYs Versions

Charlie,

I believe we are getting wrapped up with stuff that I am not an expert on as I have lost track of Thunder Power Batteries and what they offer and their history, however, once said that, I can tell you that the very first Thunder Power battery that I purchased was a 3-Cell, 2100mAH, 8 - 10 C discharge (the discharge rate is an estimate on my part as the battery did not come with any specific number) without a Balancing plug several years ago and believe it or not I still have it and it still goes up on my Slow Stick and SLOW STICK-X airplanes with a mild Astro Flight 010, 14-turn in a GWS EPS-300C gearbox. I believe this first Thunder Power came with a BLUE ribbon across the label of the battery.

As years past, I bought some Thunder Power 3-Cell, 2100mAH, 12C, Li-POLY and those came with a YELLOW Ribbon across the label.

Another one or so, I bought yet another one or two Thunder Power 3-Cell, 2100mAH "PRO-LITEs" 15C discharge and they came with a light BROWN ribbon across the label. I no longer have the 2100's except to say that two Thunder Power 3-Cell, 1320mAH, 15C discharge, Li-POLYs has surrived and they have the light BROWN riddon across the label.

Now you see in one of the pictures my brand new Thunder Power EXTREME V-2's, 2200mAH, 25C discharge, with a COLORFUL new packaging and I believe that the new Pro-Lites are sold with a similar packaging. Thereby, the new Pro-Lites do not look anything like my surviving 3-Cell, 1320mAH, 15C discharge, Li-POLY.

However, just to help you out, the new Colorful Thunder Power packaging really does not change the Pro-Lite 3-Cell, 1320mAH as both my older version with the BROWN ribbon across the label and the new Colorful packaging still says the same, 13C continous discharge and 20C burst.

I fly conservative and do not come near the maximum "continous" rating and time all of my flights so, I do not discharge any Li-POLY close to it's lower limit of 'resting' Voltage.

Hope this helps!!
Carlos

Name:	Comparison 12-09-08.JPG
Views:	160
Size:	54.4 KB
ID:	86348   Click image for larger version

Name:	Comparison2 12-09-08.JPG
Views:	177
Size:	62.1 KB
ID:	86349   Click image for larger version

Name:	Pro-Lites new.JPG
Views:	184
Size:	27.4 KB
ID:	86350   Click image for larger version

Name:	IMG_0430.jpg
Views:	164
Size:	121.7 KB
ID:	86351  
Old 12-10-2008, 11:07 PM
guapoman2000
Space Ship 1

Default Wednesday, December 10th RC Flying!!

Got to Moon Port rather late, 8:30 ish and could not believe the turn-out of members there today! I had to park at the back row and took out my Brushless ZAGI wing and had a good session with Mr Carter with his Brushless powered Park Zone F-27 Stryker!!!!

We just zoomed and zoomed, however, I believe my ZAGI passed that Stryker on two laps across the field 'and' most importantly I was able to out last Mr. Carter using those Generic 3-Cell, 2200mAH, 20C, Li-POLYs I get from BATTERYWORLD.123 from eBay!!!

Also, late afternoon, I had to run for a fast honey-do list accomplishment at HOME-DEPOT in Titusville, Florida and first I decided to verture in at Moon Port and to my surprise the gate was open as two Truckers were there and flew my ZAGI in very windy conditions, actually it was quite manageble as the wind came and left and perhaps nothing more than 8 - 9 MPH In this afternoon session at Moon Port, I was able to soar with the Buzzards and other birds up high and was able to fly over 20 minutes on those Generic 3-Cell, 2200's!!

Here is a couple of pic's from this afternoon's adventures!!! :p

Oh yes, after 20+ minutes of flying the 3-Cell, 2200 measured 11.28 Volts!!!

Name:	Zagi1 12-10-08.JPG
Views:	158
Size:	66.6 KB
ID:	86392   Click image for larger version

Name:	Zagi2 12-10-08.JPG
Views:	172
Size:	63.8 KB
ID:	86393   Click image for larger version

Name:	Zagi3 12-10-08.JPG
Views:	195
Size:	65.0 KB
ID:	86394  
Old 12-11-2008, 01:40 PM
The Quiet Birdman

Thanks Carlos
I trired to email Batteryworld 123 to see what the spacing on the balancing tab is.
No response yet.
I have a Blinky and it has the Thunderpower attachment...
Maybe you can tell me...is the spacing of the pins the same as Thunderpower?
(2mm I think)
Charlie
Old 12-11-2008, 02:07 PM
guapoman2000
Space Ship 1

Thanks Carlos
I trired to email Batteryworld 123 to see what the spacing on the balancing tab is.
No response yet.
I have a Blinky and it has the Thunderpower attachment...
Maybe you can tell me...is the spacing of the pins the same as Thunderpower?
(2mm I think)
Charlie

NO.

The Spacing of the Li-POLYs at Batteryworld.123 are the same as those found on PARK ZONE Li-POLYs, especially the 1800mAH packs.

Recall that I mentioned that the PARK ZONE Li-POLY Charger that comes with both the T-28 and F4U does charge these generic Li-POLYs from BatteryWorld.123

Thereby, the spacing is different from ThunderPower
Old 12-11-2008, 07:01 PM
The Quiet Birdman

Carlos
Do you think a good exterior 2way tape along with a tie wrap (like the original set up had)would work to hold the new brushless motor from spinning in place?
Ive read that many folks have used goop or liquid nails with the tie wrap for this purpose..
Charlie
Old 12-12-2008, 04:52 AM
guapoman2000
Space Ship 1

Carlos
Do you think a good exterior 2way tape along with a tie wrap (like the original set up had)would work to hold the new brushless motor from spinning in place?
Ive read that many folks have used goop or liquid nails with the tie wrap for this purpose..
Charlie

Charlie,

If you look closely at those pictures of my ZAGI without the canopy cover, you will see that I have the Brushless motor mounted and secured exactly the way you are asking me. I had the motor shift and the propeller hit the trailing edge of the Fuse but, no damage and I just allowed the ZAGI to float in for a gentle landing. Corrective actions included folding over the double sticky tape and having the Ty Wrap catch the fold so, the motor would not shift.

Carlos
Old 12-12-2008, 02:51 PM
The Quiet Birdman

Hi Carlos
The Battery 123 looks and sounds perfect.BUT 1 potential problem is balancing the battery with my Blinky balancer..
1. Not sure if the pin spacing is correct
2. If the pins are wired diferently Im told that the balancer might not work
or worse, burn out the balancer...

Can you shed any light on the subject? Do you know anyone that has used a Blinky to balance this battery?

I called the mfg of Blinky and sent a pic of the battery but they have not
been very helpful...(Probaby liability issues)
The connector is a JST XH4 which he oddly had not heard of.
Smooth Flyihg
Charlie
Old 12-12-2008, 03:46 PM
guapoman2000
Space Ship 1

Hi Carlos
The Battery 123 looks and sounds perfect.BUT 1 potential problem is balancing the battery with my Blinky balancer..
1. Not sure if the pin spacing is correct
2. If the pins are wired diferently Im told that the balancer might not work
or worse, burn out the balancer...

Can you shed any light on the subject? Do you know anyone that has used a Blinky to balance this battery?

I called the mfg of Blinky and sent a pic of the battery but they have not
been very helpful...(Probaby liability issues)
The connector is a JST XH4 which he oddly had not heard of.
Smooth Flyihg
Charlie
Charlie,

I myself have a BLINKY by ASTRO FLIGHT and I have been known to carefully insert the BLINKY pins into the Balancing Tabs of these Generic 3-Cell, 2200mAH, 20C, Li-POLYs. The end pins get slightly bent but, does not damage the BLINKLY. All you have to make sure is keep an eye and attention to the POLARITY, negative goes to negative and the BLINKY will work without any problems.

Of course you seem not liking this effect of bending pins so, I highly recommend the adapters and I believe the BLINKY should have come with some.

Again, NO THE BLINKY Pins do not align perfectly with the type of Balancing Plug that the Li-POLYs being sold at BATTERYWORLD.123!!
Old 12-12-2008, 04:05 PM
guapoman2000
Space Ship 1

Default Hard Crash of my ZAGI this morning!

Hello good people,

Carlos had this Evil Eye look this morning.

Just an update that I was practicing some wing-over-wing flying close to the ground and the ZAGI performed spectacular, however, I commanded it for some loops and the last one I commanded for a 1/2 roll over to level flight and turned pretty hard and fast and attempted to go back with the wing-over-wing flying and the wing Smashed down hard nose first.

DAMAGE ASSESSMENT:

Additional Breaks on the Canopy Cover, I really need a new one and calls to my buddy who sold the wing to me will be looking for one tonight as he told me that ZAGI's got a new canopy designed several years ago.

A Broken Propeller.

TESTING OF ALL SYSTEMS:

The Motor snapped off from the Bottom Plastic Tray and I carefully placed the model back on the RC Club table and checked all systems and neither HITEC HS-81 Servo exhibited any flutter or noise coming from servos. Also, took off the broken propeller and adpater and motor spin action was perfect and super quiet.

SUMMARY:
I am greatful that this ZAGI is made of foam and the impact did not damage anything else!

I will upload pictures later.

Carlos
Old 12-12-2008, 04:18 PM
The Quiet Birdman

Hi Carlos
As far as I can tell the Blinky only makes one adapter... It is for Thunderpower batteries...If I take it off I have wider spacing...I gues from what you are saying
the pins still will not match up.
I do not want to bend the pins as I am affraid it will make it difficult to balance my Thunderpower...My guess is that if you bend the little pins back and forth a few times they might break off.
Bummer..
Guess I will have to stick to the expensive Thunderpower batteries...

Back to the cg...The Pro lite weight is fairly significantly less than the ebay model
(4g I think) With that in mind I made a dummy battery (out of lead) the wt of TP and found that I still needed a fair amount of nose wt to get the cg at 8'' back from nose.
I believe you told me that the 2100 Pro Lite balanced with no additional wt in the nose...That puzzels me in that your motor is heavier than the 2815 2000 by amost
2g as I recall. Did you balance at 8" or did you leave the cg back a bit for better thermaling?
Charlie
Old 12-12-2008, 04:20 PM
guapoman2000
Space Ship 1

Default Post Crash Assessment Continued.....

Guys,

To my surprise, that 3-Cell, 2200mAH, Li-POLY was still in the Bottom Plastic Tray after the crash and I believe the side Velcro securing material really saved the battery from being ejected out to the ground.

Also, the Battery did NOT sustain any dents or bends whatsoever!!!

Carlos

Quick Reply: Zagi (48 inch wing span) with Stock Zagi 400

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service - Do Not Sell My Personal Information -

Copyright 2018 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.

Page generated in 0.15478 seconds with 25 queries