Warbird Electrics Discuss e-powered warbirds in here!

Phoenix Models Spitfire conversion?

Old 08-01-2008, 06:31 PM
hillbille
Super Contributor

Default Phoenix Models Spitfire conversion?

Got this in a trade and it all appears to be there as far as the airframe goes. Small items are missing - like wheels and tires - which I would have replaced with lighter ones anyway. All the covering has been stripped away - ostensibly I was told that it was terrible with sagging wrinkles and looked like a it had been applied at a nursing home for the aged! (Almost an insult there as I am getting up into the AARP seniority myself!! LOL).

This plane is intended for glow power - .40 to .46 2c or .60 to .90 4c. I will only fly it on electric. My plan is to use a Turnigy 4250 - 700 on 4s1p 4150mah for power - either q 12 X6 APC or a 13 X 6 JF for prop. The necessary mods have been made already - you know a hatch has been engineered for battery access - a new double firewall with motor standoffs constructed etc., etc.. It has really beautiful aluminum retracts for the LG - albeit fashioned to move the wrong direction - inward instead of the scale outward direction.

I have cut down some foam mounted tires and drilled out the hubs to fit the LG axles. Looks good so far. (Course I'm predigest cause it's sitting in my garage floor!!) . I will probably recover it in the scheme on the box - again - as I have very little experience with spits other than I really love their looks. Econokote in olive drab on top and dove gray on bottom - with a few cammo sprayed areas and decals (Major - .40 sized British) - it will not be SCALE - but then again this kit really isn't scale anyway - stand-off maybe. Really only needs to please one person - me.

Just thought I'd post and see if anyone had ever converted this airplane to electric before me and knew what to look out for. If not doesn;t matter as I am well on my way to the attempt already - gluing the wings together today and setting the controls - then I'll order the covering and set about doing that.

Hillbille
Old 08-01-2008, 09:22 PM
drewpyfz6
Trainee Ground Teaser

Hi Hillbillie,
Sounds like a fine project you have going there...

Would be good to see some pictures of the "work in progress".

I have the PZ Spitfire and would like to add LG one day.

Good luck,
Drew
Old 08-02-2008, 01:30 AM
hillbille
Super Contributor

I will try to get some pictures up - but my shop is my wife's garage for her car - and when I'm using it as my "shop" it gets really messy - then every night it must transform back into her garage - seems like I spend twice as much time cleaning as I did messing - but the point is that when I have the time to take the pictures they might be in a very cluttered and messy backdrop - but what the hey - pictures are worth a thousand words.!!

Hillbille
Old 08-29-2008, 04:22 PM

Thumbs up Chipmunk

come watch your old Chipmunk fly on Sat the 30th. @ Calico. Bring camera Approx. at 8am.
Old 08-29-2008, 06:44 PM
drewpyfz6
Trainee Ground Teaser

Originally Posted by hillbille View Post
I will try to get some pictures up - but my shop is my wife's garage for her car - and when I'm using it as my "shop" it gets really messy - then every night it must transform back into her garage - seems like I spend twice as much time cleaning as I did messing - but the point is that when I have the time to take the pictures they might be in a very cluttered and messy backdrop - but what the hey - pictures are worth a thousand words.!!

Hillbille
Workshops have to be messy and cluttered or they are not being used...