Warbird Electrics Discuss e-powered warbirds in here!

GP .25 Spitfire... Will a Eflite 25 fit?

Old 08-28-2008, 02:50 AM
Mathieas

Default GP .25 Spitfire... Will a Eflite 25 fit?

I am looking for someone with some info on using a Eflite 25 in the GP Spitfire .25 http://www.greatplanes.com/airplanes/gpma1478.html. Does this engine fit in the plane well? Power looks alright but I am unsure which prop to use? Does it hit the ground(longer then 9X6 sprot prop)? how about the cowling? Does this larger motor fit inside the cowling? What mods did you have to make you get the motor mounted? How about the weight?
Thank you all so much for your time and consideration.
Jonathan

PS: I am pretty new to useing non standard parts.. I was not to excited about the Rimfire reviews i have read and wanted to steer clear but this has lead me to wonder about compatability. In the end any advice or info you could send my way woudl be amazing.

Last edited by Mathieas; 08-28-2008 at 03:57 AM.
Old 08-28-2008, 04:53 AM
ltbidrawn

Default i have both....

i have both....a GP spit and GP p40 warhawk. used eflite power 25s in both. performance was good but the planes were heavy with poor wingloading.
a much better (in fact superior) choice would be an eflite power 10 with a 10x10 prop. they absolutely rip now.
good luck
Old 08-28-2008, 04:57 AM
ltbidrawn

Default oh yeah..the fit

you will need to modify the stock engine mount to fit either motor. for the 25, you're basically going to shave all but a 1/2-inch from the wooden mount. the 10 almost fits.
but neither one is going to go in without a fight. you will need to modify the mount. not hard though...if i can do it, anyone can.
Old 08-28-2008, 07:19 AM
Mathieas

Firstly thank you very much for the reply. I wonder being new to the warbirds if the 10 would be a better start motor? When you say shave off the mount what do you mean? which direction? My issue is i have an extra 25 here at home and was looking for a nice 25 size warbird to put her in... how much more fuss did it take to get the 25 in then the 10? I appogize for asking for more detials I just want to be sure that if I ditch the 25 and go 10 its wroth the loss of the 85$ motor.

Thank you again,

Jonathan
Old 08-28-2008, 04:48 PM
ltbidrawn

Default eflite power 25

i really don't know why GP calls for a 25 in these combat models. a 25 is waaaaaay too much for such a small plane, especially when the big battery is factored in. yeah, it'll work but the plane is much happier with a higher kv motor (like the power 10).
i put the 25 in a 50-inch HK Spit...it's perfect in the larger plane.
in order to get the prop to fit within the cowl you must cut an inch or so from the motor mount and make a new motor mount backplate. mine is made from bass wood. i simply eyeballed it with the motor screwed onto the aluminum x-mount.
the gp combat planes are beautifully built and very solid. they also have superior laminar flow as compared to foamies (ie. fast).

have fun
Attached Thumbnails Click image for larger version

Name:	spit-m.jpg
Views:	180
Size:	45.4 KB
ID:	76622  
Old 08-28-2008, 05:22 PM
Mathieas

What do you think about the rec Rimfire motor? I have heard they have some issues but I have also heard some people love them. From the look of things I wonder if I should just get the stock motor and skip all the modifiing. Since my 25 is sub optimal buying a new motor seems to be my best bet. Thank you again for your time and advice. You are the only person i have found who was trying to use the same motors I was.

Jonathan
Old 08-28-2008, 05:48 PM
ltbidrawn

Default rimfire

i do not have any experience with rimfire but i don't think Great Planes would recommend a **** motor.
i did see a gp spit fly with the recommended power plant (rimfire)...moved out pretty good. again, that motor combo calls for a big chunk of battery (3200mah i believe) and in my opinion, that makes that little plane way too heavy.
i understand your concern about modifying. it's kinda nice to just buy what fits and leave it at that.
however...i cannot say enough about the power 10 in these planes. it leaves them both balanced and very fast. and a standard 3-cell 2200mah works great. getting the motor to fit can be done with an old hacksaw blade and some 5-min epoxy...pretty basic stuff.
initially, i put the 10 in the park zone t-28 trojan. it was psychotic...wing-ripping crazy.
overpowered? you bet, but great fun, for a while anyway.
Old 09-05-2008, 01:15 AM
cv640

Default my setup

I have a GP combat Mustang, which is very similar, and I have a scorpion 3020-12 and this thing is FAST! I have a Phoenix 45, hyperion 3s 4000 lipo and APC 10x10 prop. It will climb straight up until you can't see it and it has yet to not be the fastest airplane at the field. It draws 49 amps stationary WOT at over 500 watts. This setup has converted many people from glow to electric. I would also switch to a GP nylon/aluminium backplate spinner.
Attached Thumbnails Click image for larger version

Name:	PICT1152.jpg
Views:	178
Size:	110.0 KB
ID:	77269  
Old 09-09-2008, 03:43 AM
ltbidrawn

Default that even looks fast

Originally Posted by cv640 View Post
I have a GP combat Mustang, which is very similar, and I have a scorpion 3020-12 and this thing is FAST! I have a Phoenix 45, hyperion 3s 4000 lipo and APC 10x10 prop. It will climb straight up until you can't see it and it has yet to not be the fastest airplane at the field. It draws 49 amps stationary WOT at over 500 watts. This setup has converted many people from glow to electric. I would also switch to a GP nylon/aluminium backplate spinner.
yeah, this setup will do it. scorpion motors are superb, i think better even than the eflite stuff.
the only limiting factor with mine is radio reception...those unlimited verticles have left me outside the spektrum range (ar6000 receiver). it sometimes takes a few secs for the plane to respond.