Combat Electric combat discussion in here.

E-Combat in Tulsa

Old 06-21-2009, 04:58 AM
surfer dude
Super Contributor

Originally Posted by fr0g_D View Post
Dude!

You did a killer job on the artwork and the kit does look sweet.

Nice Job!
Thanks
Old 06-21-2009, 03:16 PM
j4ck4
A Real WingNut

Brett

I just remembered reading your post that I have a book I picked up a couple months ago at a grage salewith photos showing militry markings. I'll scan it as soon as I hook up a scanner and post the two picks of the Buffalo that it has.
It shows the paint schemes for the F2A-2 "Flying Chiefs" US Navy which was a fighter group based on the USS Lexington, March 1941. And the F2A-3 VMF221, U.S. Marine Corps, EWA, Hawaiian Islands, mid 1942.
Both are good looking birds, but, I still like the detail you put into your's.
Old 06-23-2009, 12:07 AM
smokejohnson
Super Contributor

Looks like Saturday is going to be HOT!!!
Winds look good though. I will be getting out to the Bald Eagle field early...real early. I plan on being there by at least 7:00. I can hang out until around noon and then I will have to leave.

Hope to see you guys out there
Old 06-23-2009, 03:48 PM
surfer dude
Super Contributor

Originally Posted by smokejohnson View Post
Winds look good though. I will be getting out to the Bald Eagle field early...real early. I plan on being there by at least 7:00. I can hang out until around noon and then I will have to leave.

I will be out of town Sat, the next week, the 4th I my be able to fly in the morning. You all have fun and stay cool! It will be nice having that airconditioned club house.
Old 06-23-2009, 07:02 PM
Bluebird

Here's an interesting website for those looking for paint schemes, markings, etc. for military aircraft of all kinds, wp.scn.ru/en/ww2/f/228/12
Old 06-23-2009, 07:17 PM
LipoPilot
Flown A Lipo Lately?

Originally Posted by surfer dude View Post
I have a new combat plane, that will never see combat. This is the Brewster Buffalo, a 10mm depron kit cut out by LipoPilot (nice kit). I spent a lot of time with the air brush on this one, and drawing out those panel lines, I just can't bring myself to risking it in combat. After reserching old photos on google this was the neatest one.
This is the Navy version from 1942, it flew off aircraft carriers in the battle over midway. It was one of the first mono wing aircraft to fly off a U.S. carrier. It apperently was not a very successful fighter (too heavy and slow). Finnland bought a bunch and took off the heavy ammor plate, and replaced the engine. This made it lighter, and faster. Finlands version was very successful. (I like the History behind the scale models).
I'm still waiting on the motor and esc to come from Hobby City, and I'm still looking for the rite size stickers, for the lettering and numbers.
Fricken NEATO!!! Man I been so busy miss this for sure. You did a killer job I think and the details are COOL!!! I hope to see it fly in video. Thanks for the words on the kits too, I'm working my butt off to not run out all the time but finding that a real side sore actually. I am working with kit makers but I'm in fear of losing my quality if I go this route. Anyhow making plans to attend the next event, and hope to meet more folks this time...its a blast in OK...just ask me...I know.
Old 06-23-2009, 07:19 PM
LipoPilot
Flown A Lipo Lately?

Hey James thanks for that lipo man for my radio...hot damn I fly all dang day now...NO!!!! Beeep Beeep Beeeep Beeeeep..you know the drill.
Old 06-23-2009, 11:48 PM
j4ck4
A Real WingNut

I would like to be come out there James but, with my van like it is I better not go any further than the unclub field. You guys have fun out there, I'll see you sometime next week or whenever. Give me a call, I still need to get with you sometime and cut out a monbloc for a BluBaby so I can start another build on one of those.
Old 06-24-2009, 07:49 AM
surfer dude
Super Contributor

Originally Posted by Bluebird View Post
Here's an interesting website for those looking for paint schemes, markings, etc. for military aircraft of all kinds, wp.scn.ru/en/ww2/f/228/12
Thanks Blubird, This site is awsome! You get the markings, full photo's, and the History.
My Brewster is Model B239/339/F-2A USA, Unit VF-2, Squadron- "Flying Chiefs", Carrier The USS Lexington 1942.
If I want to make it Scale like the picture I guess I should add a tow hook.
Old 06-24-2009, 02:43 PM
j4ck4
A Real WingNut

Brett

Look at these fonts and see if they will work for you tail markings.
Should look like:
Attached Files
File Type: zip
USAAF_Stencil.zip (21.1 KB, 75 views)

Last edited by j4ck4; 06-24-2009 at 02:45 PM. Reason: Goofed up
Old 06-25-2009, 07:08 PM
surfer dude
Super Contributor

Originally Posted by j4ck4 View Post
Brett

Look at these fonts and see if they will work for you tail markings.
Should look like:
Jack the serial stencil is the one thanks.
Old 06-28-2009, 12:25 PM
smokejohnson
Super Contributor

Combat was a little slow yesterday but there was a lot of people there asking questions about the planes. Hopefully some will decide to give it a try.
Old 06-28-2009, 11:12 PM
j4ck4
A Real WingNut

James
Haven't been able to look at the video from yesterday yet, as soon as I can I will try and get it finished up so we can get it posted on the web site.
I did look in the box that came with that Gentle Lady and it shows how to mount a gas engine on both the nose and on a pod above the wing, I think I may try a pod first see how she flies then cut off the nose and put a motor there when I can afford a folding prop.
Old 06-29-2009, 03:34 AM
fr0g_D

J4ck4,

That gentle lady is a 78" span right? Here is what I am setting up in my Sig Riser and its 78". It was recommended on RCG so we will see how it turns out.

KD A22-20L

Folder Spinner

Later

D
Old 06-29-2009, 04:12 AM
j4ck4
A Real WingNut

Yes Frog D
78.25" according to the manual, I'm going to try a BM2410-9 that I got from Smoke, have to see if I can get a folding prop spinner here locally, I think hobbytownusa has on I saw a couple weeks ago.
How are you mounting your motor, on the nose or a pod? Also, are you converting an old build or building from the ground up?
Old 06-29-2009, 04:46 AM
fr0g_D

I will be very curious to know how the ol' 09Y does on a plane that size. If you can pull it off I might try putting one on my soarjet.
My riser build is from the ground up and I'm gonna hack the nose off of it and mount the motor there. I gotta tell ya, I'm so used to building foam planes or planes that have been laser cut that this old school die cut balsa is a huge PITA. Its taking forever man, and it's thermal season now.... oh well, I'll get there!

Later

fr0g_D
Old 06-29-2009, 04:52 AM
j4ck4
A Real WingNut

Originally Posted by fr0g_D View Post
I will be very curious to know how the ol' 09Y does on a plane that size. If you can pull it off I might try putting one on my soarjet.
My riser build is from the ground up and I'm gonna hack the nose off of it and mount the motor there. I gotta tell ya, I'm so used to building foam planes or planes that have been laser cut that this old school die cut balsa is a huge PITA. Its taking forever man, and it's thermal season now.... oh well, I'll get there!

Later

fr0g_D
Well you maight be interested in this thread, http://www.rcgroups.com/forums/showthread.php?t=963581
10 year old girl in Maine build from start to first flight. Some good info on it seems like, Also, on page 11 gittarpikk posted that he powered one with this http://www.hobbycity.com/hobbycity/s...idProduct=4852 if that will fly it like he says anything ought to pull it to a good altitude.
Old 06-30-2009, 01:10 PM
j4ck4
A Real WingNut

Well Frog D
I cut the nose down and went with the Rimefire 950kv. She is ready for a tmaiden flight now except I want to get James to look her over and help me with the maiden. Actually want to get him to fly her and trim her out for me if I can talk him into it. The motor is just temp mounted right now, but I think she will work. Still need to get a folding prop. One of the men we fly with said he has one he bought for a Great Planes Electra that didn't work out that I could have if it would work, but I don't know if it will or not. Have to give it a try I guess, will pick it up Sat.
Old 06-30-2009, 04:48 PM
j4ck4
A Real WingNut

Posted some pics here.
http://www.rcgroups.com/forums/showt...963581&page=12
Old 07-06-2009, 12:35 PM
smokejohnson
Super Contributor

We will be flying combat July 18th at the Unclub. Bring any electric airplane and have some fun. We will start around 8:00 or when we have 3 pilots and fly until we can't stand the heat anymore.
Old 07-06-2009, 09:43 PM
surfer dude
Super Contributor

We will be flying combat July 18th at the Unclub. Bring any electric airplane and have some fun. We will start around 8:00 or when we have 3 pilots and fly until we can't stand the heat anymore.
Let's do it this Sat too!!
Old 07-06-2009, 10:13 PM
smokejohnson
Super Contributor

I'm going to Jim's in McAlester Saturday or I would...I could sneak out there Sunday for a little while.
Old 07-08-2009, 08:21 PM
smokejohnson
Super Contributor

So watts up? Can any of yous guys make it out there Sunday morning? I'm good until around 10:00.
Old 07-08-2009, 11:07 PM
j4ck4
A Real WingNut

If'n I can get a prop for my Radian by then I'll be out there but not ready for any combat just a little cruizin around the sky.
Old 07-09-2009, 01:47 AM
surfer dude
Super Contributor

I'm going to Jim's in McAlester Saturday or I would...I could sneak out there Sunday for a little while.
Who's Jim, and can he fly a combat plane? If so I'm comming with you.
The Brewster is ready to maiden. Finished it at 7pm today. I would go fly it now, but I have to be at work at 1am.

Quick Reply: E-Combat in Tulsa

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service - Do Not Sell My Personal Information -

Copyright 2018 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.

Page generated in 0.12717 seconds with 12 queries