Warbird Electrics Discuss e-powered warbirds in here!

World Models P-51D Mustang "EP" 49 inch Wing Span

Old 01-03-2009, 12:00 PM
guapoman2000
Space Ship 1

Originally Posted by constantCrash View Post
Question on the WM mustang 40:

Would 2.5" wheels fit in the retract well or 2" max? I fly off grass and anything smaller than 2.5" doesn't work.

Also could you take a picture from above with the corsair and the mustang side by side? I would like a size comparison.
It will depend on the maker of the wheel and type. I was trying to fit in the Hangar9 Lite Rubber Wheels and the 2.25 inches did not fit "or" lets say it was a tight fit. I am sure that the 2.5 inch will not fit in the retract wheel well but, that's again the Hangar9 Lite Rubber with the threads. In POST #29, you will see that I finally went with the Hangar9 Lite 2 inch diameter Rubber wheels.

You just going to have to try em out at the hobby store. When you get the model ask to see if you can take out several sizes out and fit check em within the wing assembly half.

Carlos
Old 01-03-2009, 12:05 PM
guapoman2000
Space Ship 1

Originally Posted by Lebus1 View Post
Gaupoman, I have picked up my new P51D World Model today. I'm excited. Very nice components. Purchased from Hobbyzone (MPLS,Mn) for $129.00. There should be enough assembly to keep me busy for awhile. I also just learned that there is a product called Petro-Mat that can be rolled out on a field and will provide a suitable surface for ROG. If you have any info on this it would be great. You can PM me if you prefer.
Glad to learn of your purchase! Yes, you will be transfixed on this model as it is a very good looking Mustang!!

With regard to the Petro-Mat, perform a GOOGLE dot com search as all I found is some kind of industrial pavement product??

Sorry.
Old 01-06-2009, 12:35 AM
cvrcmember

Cool To: guapoman2000

Sorry, I guess I didn't introduce myself! I fly parkflyers, and I've been flying my uncle's 30% Extra 300s and I can take-off, fly, and land well. I have saved my money and am looking to buy this P-51 Mustang because I really like warbirds. I've read your Forum on, I think it was RCGroups, and I would just like a run-down on the parts you used and the specifics. It would really help.
? ???
Old 01-06-2009, 03:40 AM
guapoman2000
Space Ship 1

Default Sunday Morning Flying at the RC Club!

Guys!

It was a marthon of sorts, got to the RC CLub sort of late and first flight was around at 11:00am with winds of 9 MPH with changing direction.

Both the WM Mustang and the Large Citabria had a little landing mishap and none of the models were damaged. The WM Mustang once again had one of it's main (Right Side) retract fold on final and almost to a complete stop. I noticed that the Retract servo was slightly loose and all I needed was to tighten the servo securing screws "and" perform a TRAVEL ADJUSTMENT so, the LOCK could be reached once the main gear was activated to DOWN. The 3rd Flight allowed to verify this and the model came in fast with good airspeed and the main retract gear held solid and the model did not nose over.

There was one RC Club member that was there next to me and co-celebrated my success with almost 4 flights with the Mustang!

I have attached pictures of my largest RC Airplane model that I own and fly.
Attached Thumbnails Click image for larger version

Name:	MidWest_Citabria1_01-04-09.jpg
Views:	212
Size:	83.6 KB
ID:	89419   Click image for larger version

Name:	MidWest_Citabria3_01-04-09.jpg
Views:	209
Size:	51.6 KB
ID:	89420   Click image for larger version

Name:	MidWest_Citabria4_01-04-09.jpg
Views:	207
Size:	92.0 KB
ID:	89421   Click image for larger version

Name:	MidWest_Citabria6_01-04-09.jpg
Views:	217
Size:	103.6 KB
ID:	89422  

Last edited by guapoman2000; 01-06-2009 at 05:09 AM.
Old 01-07-2009, 02:26 AM
guapoman2000
Space Ship 1

Default Retract Setup Instruction

I was just looking around for my next project and found this instruction sheet from Hobby-Lobby on this nice Ducted Fan Jet!!!

I believe that the World Models instructions are missing many setup instructions and the retracts are one of them!!!

For those that have not dealt with retracts before like myself then, I feel one can follow these instructions as they are some general guidelines when setting up retracts for the first time on any model.

http://s3.amazonaws.com/hobbylobbypdf/st105-gear.pdf
Old 01-07-2009, 05:16 PM
Lebus1

My LHS sold me an Eflite 30amp ESC/BEC with the Eflite 480 Outrunner. Is this going to be too light for the job?
Old 01-07-2009, 09:38 PM
guapoman2000
Space Ship 1

Originally Posted by Lebus1 View Post
My LHS sold me an Eflite 30amp ESC/BEC with the Eflite 480 Outrunner. Is this going to be too light for the job?

The ESC is what concerns me. You have 5-servos and from your post does not seem like you are using any external BEC?

I use the 40-Amp Pro Switch-Mode BEC Brushless ESC!

http://www.e-fliterc.com/Products/De...rodID=EFLA1040

I do believe that the 30 AMP will be marginal as my AMP draw with the APC Slow Flyer 10 X 7 "is" a little over 30 AMPs @ Wide Open Throttle, assuming the E-Flite 480 (1020Kv)!!

Carlos
Old 01-07-2009, 10:05 PM
birdDog
Charging....

I run a 40amp on my 480, a little safety margin.
Old 02-03-2009, 12:14 PM
guapoman2000
Space Ship 1

Default Those STOCK retracts are tough!!

Last Saturday, got to the RC Club rather late and the wind picked up with gusty conditions and the Mustang flew with great appeal and then it happened....my first hard landing.

I brought her in level and about 3 feet off the ground with slight power and keeping her level using some small rudder inputs and I mistakingly took off all power and she just hanged there and the wind died down and slam!

Right retract base got cracked but, all is good as last night I ordered two sets of these retracts from Airborne-Models.

The retracts should be in by Friday!

Carlos
Old 02-05-2009, 01:52 AM
cvrcmember

That sucks, BTW I ended up just going with a gas powered VQ Models P-51D Mustang Dago Red. I think I made a good choice.
Old 02-05-2009, 03:27 AM
Lebus1

I'm just starting my build of my WM P51. I've got the wings done and expecting to get into the fuse next. I am still checking on fabric or plastic ground covering that could be used as runway material. I'm finding some 5mil plastic and some heavier landscape fabric that I hope will work for a few years.
Old 02-09-2009, 03:34 AM
pvtzemerak
3D Huckifyer!

what a nice lookin plane!
It makes me want to get my At-6 done
Subscribed, keep posting pictures
--PvT
Old 02-20-2009, 09:17 PM
Lebus1

I've finished all but radio equipment mounting. Waiting for spring. Is there any more news from Florida.
Old 02-27-2009, 07:15 PM
CubFlyer

Hi Carlos,

I've been following your threads for over a year now since you did some informational videos on the HZ Super Cub and just want to thank you for all the time and effort you've put into these forums!

Again, I was looking through your latest vids on Vimeo and came across the P-51. I've been looking at the purchase of a P-51 and glad to find this thread with all of your wonderful information! I got to see this beautiful plane up close and personal at the Offutt AFB Air Show last summer and it's amazing just how close the scale model is to the real warbird. After doing some more research, I find this plane lives right in my back yard!! I just want to thank you again for all the great information and videos

Brian
Old 02-28-2009, 09:12 PM
guapoman2000
Space Ship 1

Brian,

You are most welcomed and I am glad this thread and my Videos have been helpful.

GunFighter is in your neck of the woods?!?!? Wow, super!

Enjoy!
Carlos
Old 02-28-2009, 09:20 PM
guapoman2000
Space Ship 1

Default Removal and Installation of Main Gear Retracts

Well, went to bed early last night and got up around 3:45am in the morning and started on my Mustang to replace the main gear retract set. I ordered two set pairs just in case for future projects as I really like these retracts.

Taking off the four wood screws is pretty ease but, since they are black screws you need to place the model ontop of a White Towel or carpet so, you would not lose any screws as the replacement retracts do not come with any screws!

Taking off a broken Retract is easy as usually the front or rear plastic tab holding two set screws usually snaps off but, taking off a retract that is not broken in this manner requires some patience as the wire from the Strut itself is preventing from coming out all the way "or" the spindle from the retracting arm itself. You need to gently work the retract up passed the wood housing gage carefully.

Once you can get out the retract assembly out from the wood housing gage then, you would now need to carefully angle the push rod for the retracting arm in order to slide off the interface wire coming from the retract servo.

Installing a new pair of main gear retracts is just the reverse, angle the retract push rod arm while holding the interface wire coming from the retract servo with a piler at the wheel well and insert the interface wire into the retract push rod eye hole. etc.. etc.....etc...........

My Mustang flew early this morning at the RC Club with very good results and most importantly the landing was PICTURE PERFECT!!!

You can see the dried up grass blades underneath my Mustang wings!!
Oh, yes, I went back to the Super Light STOCK 2 Inch Diameter FOAM wheels as these are much lighter!

Name:	Removal and new installation of Retracts1.JPG
Views:	165
Size:	53.6 KB
ID:	95111   Click image for larger version

Name:	Removal and new installation of Retracts2.JPG
Views:	171
Size:	49.4 KB
ID:	95112   Click image for larger version

Name:	Removal and new installation of Retracts3.JPG
Views:	164
Size:	57.8 KB
ID:	95113   Click image for larger version

Name:	Removal and new installation of Retracts4.JPG
Views:	156
Size:	53.7 KB
ID:	95114   Click image for larger version

Name:	Removal and new installation of Retracts5.JPG
Views:	159
Size:	33.2 KB
ID:	95115  

Click image for larger version

Name:	Removal and new installation of Retracts6.JPG
Views:	167
Size:	44.5 KB
ID:	95116   Click image for larger version

Name:	Removal and new installation of Retracts7.JPG
Views:	157
Size:	41.8 KB
ID:	95117  
Old 02-28-2009, 09:26 PM
birdDog
Charging....

Glad to see she is still lookin' GREAT
Old 03-04-2009, 01:54 AM
ChuckTSeeker

Thumbs up

just wanted to say thank you Carlos for an excellent thread on this aircraft, i needed something to read as i couldn't sleep and found it last night and read the whole thread.

personally I'm not interested in buying this plane, but for anyone who is this is an excellent informative article and a great read to anyone else

i love your enthusiasm for all your planes and this hobby in general, please keep posting articles like this, also a big thank you to your 2 best buddies as their filming, photography, commentary and same enthusiasm to this hobby only add to the posts

after reading many of your "new Plane" threads I'm really looking forward to your next purchase, just as much as, i bet you are too

cheers chuck
Old 03-04-2009, 06:32 AM
AlexinFlight

My friend Jerry just bought this model this morning from the same hobby store in Livermore, CA. Looks like one fine bird! I will forward this thread to him, Thanks Carlos!

Alex
Old 03-04-2009, 07:10 AM
benovisoff
aint crashin aint flyin

how is a 3.6 lb. model that needs a four cell lipo, weigh 2.7 pouonds and uses a 3s lipo? without being underpowered? If I were to get this plane, should I use a power 10? I am a power freak though.

Last edited by benovisoff; 03-05-2009 at 02:44 AM.
Old 03-04-2009, 02:38 PM
AlexinFlight

My buddy Jerry got the recommended power set-up from Airborne-Models, minus the battery:

BL Outrunner Motor KM0374810 w/ Radial Mount Adaptor HW2340300, 40A Brushless ESC, 4s 14.8V, 3200 mah Li - Po battery

Not sure of the brand of motor they sold him, but looks like a 3748-10.
Old 03-05-2009, 03:59 AM
guapoman2000
Space Ship 1

Originally Posted by benovisoff View Post
how is a 3.6 lb. model that needs a four cell lipo, weigh 2.7 pouonds and uses a 3s lipo? without being underpowered? If I were to get this plane, should I use a power 10? I am a power freak though.
Okay, I read this same exact post in your PM to me and I believe that I replied but, if you are seriously asking why it works, it is because I am keeping the model light as possible and it does not necessarily fly like a FOAM model but, for a larger 49 inch wing span Mustang made of Balsa and light plywood it "is" on the lighter side and recall that this model was designed / made for Electric flight so, none of the heavier FIREWALL for Glow is there nor other re-enforcements such as sheeted leading edge wings are there to save weight. Also, you do not need the heavier Glow proofing sealers and covering material that you would encounter with GLOW model.

Recall that my power system setup using the E-Flite 480 (1020Kv):

E-Flite 480 (1020 Kv)
Io = 1.1 Amps
Ri = .06 Ohms

Weight = 3.1 oz. <--- more like 3.4oz. with connectors
Shaft = 5mm
Dia = 35mm; Length = 33mm

hooked up my Astro Flight WATT Meter and this is what I got.

Wide Open while swinging the APC "SLow Flyer" 10 X 7

30.4 AMPs / 312 Watts / 10.7 Volts under load

just check out the p-calc estimate, pretty close Most importantly, look at the airspeed (Better than 60 MPH in real world flying) and this means that I can fly her at 1/2 Throttle with the higher Pitched Speed propeller and I DO FLY HER AT 1/2 THROTTLE!!! My generic 3-Cell, 2200mAH, 20C, Li-POLYs came down luke warm and after 6 minute typical flight they measure 11.6 Volts still !!!!

Name:	WM P-51D E-Flite 480 10X7 3-Cell Li-POLY.JPG
Views:	128
Size:	64.5 KB
ID:	95476  
Old 03-05-2009, 04:02 AM
benovisoff
aint crashin aint flyin

I dont mean the power of the 480, but the planes weight class. That 480 would fly a fast plane as a slow flyer.
Old 03-05-2009, 04:04 AM
guapoman2000
Space Ship 1

Chuck,

Thank you for those kind words and I am glad you enjoyed the thread!

I try my best to enjoy this hobby and make all my models fly with the best setup for the particular airframe and most importantly to fly like a SCALE RC airplane model. For this wonderful looking GUN FIGHTER Mustang copy, I enjoyed flying it between SCALE-to-SPORT flying characteristics and the E-FLITE 480 (1020Kv) certainly fits the requirement while using the generic 3-Cell, 2200mAH, 20C discharge, Li-POLYs!

Again, thanks for your post and glad you are enjoying.

Have Fun!
Carlos

Originally Posted by ChuckTSeeker View Post
just wanted to say thank you Carlos for an excellent thread on this aircraft, i needed something to read as i couldn't sleep and found it last night and read the whole thread.

personally I'm not interested in buying this plane, but for anyone who is this is an excellent informative article and a great read to anyone else

i love your enthusiasm for all your planes and this hobby in general, please keep posting articles like this, also a big thank you to your 2 best buddies as their filming, photography, commentary and same enthusiasm to this hobby only add to the posts

after reading many of your "new Plane" threads I'm really looking forward to your next purchase, just as much as, i bet you are too

cheers chuck
Old 03-05-2009, 04:08 AM
guapoman2000
Space Ship 1

Originally Posted by benovisoff View Post
I dont mean the power of the 480, but the planes weight class. That 480 would fly a fast plane as a slow flyer.
This is where I can see that you are trying to bait me into some kind of Power System setup debate and I totally disagree with your statement.

I am not going to entertain any power system Setup discussion here other than what I have already posted about what is powering my model.

A simple increase of pitch will make my model howl but, I am not looking for that.

Good nite

Quick Reply: World Models P-51D Mustang "EP" 49 inch Wing Span

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service - Do Not Sell My Personal Information -

Copyright 2018 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.

Page generated in 0.15875 seconds with 23 queries