Warbird Electrics Discuss e-powered warbirds in here!

World Models P-51D Mustang "EP" 49 inch Wing Span

Old 10-12-2009, 06:29 PM
odieyodie

Location: Lincoln, Nebraska (summer) Casa Grande AZ. (winter)

Agreed! Multiplex uses great foam on their planes.
Old 10-12-2009, 06:42 PM
rowdyjoe

Park Zone already has one in foam ...like the F4U Corsair and T28.
Old 10-13-2009, 09:56 PM
rowdyjoe

Originally Posted by Turner View Post
The stand is by Robart:

http://www.robart.com/Tools.aspx

Thanks Turner.

RJ
Old 10-15-2009, 05:59 PM
rowdyjoe

For those building this airplane, I tried a 57 oz. in. servo (HS225BB) and managed to burn it out while trying to adjust the end-points. I don't know if the servo was faulty, I goofed, or my retracts are binding. I tend to think it was my fault because I've never set-up retracts before and was slow to figure out the adjustments needed.
I've ordered a 75 oz. in. micro servo from BP Hobbies (GWS 2BBMG) for $20 that should hold up for a long time, providing I don't burn it up too.
Judging by Carlo's experience, I'm using a regular analog micro servo, not a "retract" servo, due to the short "throw" needed to raise and lower the gear (about 90deg.). BTW, I've read that there are no end points to adjust on "retract" servos so, if you're searching for one be sure to avoid those for this airplane. Retract servos are made specifically to apply max. torque at the end of their travel to keep the gear up or down and that they travel 180 deg.
Opinion to date: All major assemblies are complete and I'm waiting for my motor and servo to arrive. This is an easy ARF to assemble but, I've found the covering material to be easily damaged or dented. Through rough handling, I've managed to tear it in 2 places so, it already has Monokote patches (aluminum color matches well if you don't want to order from Airborne). My LHS didn't have the color I wanted in Econokote (recommended as it is lighter). I can forsee the need to recover the wings in the not-too-distant future. The LiTech (sp) material can be shrunk with a heat gun and I've been using a small hair dryer to take out "dents" (stretch marks) and it works well. There have been a couple of places where I've had to use my covering iron.
The structure is fairly strong but, the entire airplane is very light. I estimate mine will weigh about a pound less than advertised ...AUW will be less than 3 lbs. I think the factory AUW was given with NIMHs/NICADs in mind
With the recommended motor (450 watts) and LIPO, this bird would be a rocket ship. My software says the motor I have coming should give it equivelent power with a 3s LIPO. We'll see.
Overall, I like this bird and am looking forward to flying it. I'll have to be careful when handling it so as not to create problems for myself. If landed in tall stiff grass/weeds, I can see more patches needed for the wing so, I'll keep her out of that stuff the best I can.

RJ

Last edited by rowdyjoe; 10-19-2009 at 04:34 AM.
Old 10-17-2009, 05:14 PM
rowdyjoe

The Pulso X2820/12 motor (http://www.pulsosystem.com/usa.html) arrived on 9/15 and I installed it in the plane. The test run on the bench showed great power with an 11X7E prop. I have no instruments to measure the parameters but, this is going to be a great combination. My software tells me that it is capable of unlimited aerobatics, vertical climbs, and should hover using a 3s 2200mah 20c LIPO.
A fella on another thread says he measured static power on this motor at 400 watts which will give me about 1.2 or 1.3 to 1 power to weight ratio.
Still waiting for the servo for the retracts but, I'm tempted to fix the gear down and fly it.

RJ
Old 10-19-2009, 04:32 AM
rowdyjoe

The servo for the retracts arrived Sat. and I installed it in the plane that evening. (thanks for the fast shipping BP Hobbies) It works like a champ. It's a GWS 2BBMG servo with 75 inch oz. of torque.
The motor mount I used is a Great Planes aluminum adjustable mount. It wasn't a direct bolt up because the bolt pattern in the firewall didn't match up. I was able to easily center everything and bolt the mount on using over-sized servo mounting screws (reinforced with CA). I've attached a picture of the mount.
I had to adjust the end points a bit to keep the strain off the servo in the up position ....I adjusted it to about 50% travel and it locks them up tight but, the servo doesn't hum or chatter. Be sure to set the down position first to make sure they go all the way down and lock, then adjust for up. I would recommend you first set the "up" travel to about 50% to keep the servo from binding and over-heating, then make your adjustments. I adjusted up and down a few clicks either side of 50% and found that 50% worked great for me.
I also replaced the stock spinner with an all plastic 3" spinner from Dubro (less than $9 at my LHS). They didn't have the aluminum version that Carlos used. It uses 4 hex head bolts and pulls the spinner and backing plate together to fit like a pair of custom made gloves. It looks great on the plane and there is no wobble.
Except for the decals, the aiplane is ready to fly. However, the weather is not cooperating as we have high winds and bad weather forecast through Wed. Hopefully, all will be good for Thursday but, will have to wait and see.
It's a beautiful bird and I can hardly wait to get her into the air.

RJ
Attached Thumbnails Click image for larger version

Name:	20091018_7.jpg
Views:	111
Size:	135.6 KB
ID:	111666  
Attached Images  

Last edited by rowdyjoe; 10-19-2009 at 05:20 AM.
Old 10-20-2009, 03:02 AM
rowdyjoe

I selectively added decals to the bird today and it looks great.
I didn't add the "USAF" decals because the air force belonged to the Army during WWII. Air Force didn't become a separate branch until 1947. So, unless this is a Korean war scheme, the USAF decals are not correct. They could/should have provided USAAF (US Army Air Corp) decals and been WWII accurate.

Waiting for decent flying weather now .....maybe by the end of the week.

RJ
Old 10-22-2009, 10:01 PM
rowdyjoe

Update on the retract servo adjustments. In my DX6i, the UP position is set to 35% travel and the "Down" position is set at 90% travel. These adjustments keep the strain off the servo (no chatter or hum) while keeping the gear firmly in the correct position.

RJ
Old 10-23-2009, 02:38 AM
rowdyjoe

Here she is ....all dressed up and ready to go.

Name:	20091022_6.jpg
Views:	112
Size:	135.6 KB
ID:	111937   Click image for larger version

Name:	20091022_5.jpg
Views:	118
Size:	123.5 KB
ID:	111938   Click image for larger version

Name:	20091022_11.jpg
Views:	133
Size:	102.6 KB
ID:	111939  
Old 10-25-2009, 07:14 AM
rowdyjoe

There she was, all dressed up for her funeral. I attempted to fly her yesterday in the late afternoon. The wind was right, the sun was bright, and I had the nerve to try. She survived a bit of a wobbly takeoff and quickly climbed to altitude as I had too much UP elevator trim. As I got her straightened out in level flight on down-wind I started loosing control and then lost control entirely. I was flying at a very nice RC field on the edge of a lake and she plunged in from about 75 ft at full throttle (judging from the damage) about 100 yds off shore. I found someone with a boat who helped me retrieve the wreckage. The wing was missing entirely and the fuselage was broken completely in half. Everything forward of, and including, the firewall was gone. This bird is a total loss.

I can only blame my ignorance for this crash. Carlos tried to warn us about receiver brown-outs but, I didn't pay proper attention. My crash was caused by the same problem his first crash was caused by ....lack of power to the receiver. I mistakenly thought that the 3amp linear BEC that came installed in my 40amp ESC would be enough to power 5 servos, the receiver, etc. Not so. I have since determined that I should have installed a separate 5amp (minimum) switching BEC to ensure enough power to the electrics.

So, Be Warned. If you are building this plane, do yourself a favor and spend the money to buy and install at least a 5amp switching BEC. Follow the simple instructions on disabling your built-in linear BEC. You'll be glad you did.

I bought another one of these kits this afternoon. I'm going to build another one. I've also ordered most of the parts which include a Castle Creations 10amp Switching BEC. If this one crashes it won't be because it didn't have enough juice to power everything.

RJ

Name:	P-51D World Models.JPG
Views:	111
Size:	268.7 KB
ID:	112021  

Last edited by rowdyjoe; 10-28-2009 at 09:54 PM.
Old 10-27-2009, 03:15 PM
SigMan

world models covering is not very good at all. thats the only thing ai had to say abad about mine.
Old 10-27-2009, 04:07 PM
spad

Sad ending, but the Castle bec is a winner.
Old 10-28-2009, 10:08 PM
rowdyjoe

SigMan,
I agree with your complaint about the covering material but, it's fine on the fuselage. The wings were the most vulnerable to dents and damage and I will eventually replace the covering there on the new one. Econokote seems to be a good choice because it's light weight and low heat.

Spad,
You're so right about being sad. I was really proud of this plane and my heart sank to the bottom of the lake along with most of my airplane.
I'm building another one and will correct all of the mistakes and "issues" I had on the first one. My wife (who is not an RC fan) liked this one too. She thought is was pretty and looked graceful. It's one of the easiest ARFs I've built ...even considering the retract servo install.

RJ
Old 11-17-2009, 01:40 AM
rowdyjoe

Latest update on the new WM P51D ....
Everything is installed and ready except the motor and mount. I decided to use the stock mount this time to save a little weight up front. I used a Great Planes adjustable aluminum mount on the first one and it is a very strong mount but, a bit heavier than I would have liked. It made the plane nose heavy and I had to move the battery way back under the cockpit to compenstate. I would have probably ended up adding weight to the rear section of the fuselage so I could install the battery in the corrrect position.
Instead of using a Pulso motor on this one, I'm using a Turnigy 3548/900kv. It's a tad bit larger than the Pulso but, performance should be very close to the same ...maybe a bit better. The brand new Pulso dealers here in the US didn't have any stock and the factory wouldn't sell a motor to me now that we have dealers here. (catch 22) So, rather than wait for the dealers to stock up, I bought the Turnigy and had it shipped express and still paid much less than the Pulso costs.

I ordered the motor mount from Airborne Models and it should be here Wed. and my new Mustang should be ready for flight Thursday.

RJ
Old 11-21-2009, 07:01 AM
rowdyjoe

The factory motor mount arrived Wed. and I mounted the motor & ESC and routed all of the wires neatly. Everything fit perfectly ...the prop adapter is in exactly the right place for the spinner back-plate and clearance is near perfect. This mount is much lighter than the Great Planes mount and positions the motor in exactly the right spot. However, I had to add 1 1/2 oz. of weight just in front of the tailwheel to balance her at the CG.
I finally bought a decent digital scale and weighed her last night. With two of my 3s 2200mah LIPOs mounted with a "Y" harness in the battery compartment, this bird weighs 3lbs. If I fly her with 1 battery she will weigh in at 2lbs 10 oz. ...still very light considering the size. Remember, advertised flying weight is 3.5 to 3.8lbs.
I hope to get at least 10 min. flight time from this battery arrangement. The weight of the 2nd battery will help with stability in stronger winds as well as provide longer flight time.
The instructions for the plane recommend an 11X8E prop but, my software calls for an 11X5E so, I'm splitting the difference and using an 11X7E.
I hope to fly her for the first time tomorrow providing the weather cooperates.

RJ
Old 11-23-2009, 02:58 AM
rowdyjoe

First flight was yesterday and was not too impressive as both of my brand new aileron servos failed (fortunately not at the same time). The first failure caused a crash from fairly low altitude. The covering was punctured in a couple of spots and a few of the leading edge wing ribs suffered some damage. I patched her up a bit at the field hoping to get a good flight in after replacing the first bad servo but, during pre-flight I discovered that the other aileron servo was locked up. I'll never buy Blue Bird servos again.
I repaired the damage last night and got her ready for flight this morning. I arrived at the flying field about 3:00PM only to discover they were holding air races. I waited until 4:30 and helped them clear the field of their racing equipment and was finally able to launch the P51. First flight revealed I had too much expo for all surfaces (especially elevator) and I had a hard touch and go. The hard hit on the t&g fractured one of the plastic retract mounts and my left gear would only intermittently retract after that. So, I backed it off the expo by a considerable amount and tried again. This flight went much smoother and more solid. We had some steady 12 to 15 mph wind and the motor/prop combination worked very well (running an 11X8E at present). She flys inverted very well with a bit of down elevator at 2/3 throttle. My 2nd landing attempt was very smooth and predictable and almost 3 point. I inspected the gear mount again and all looked and functioned OK so, I launched her again with a very smooth takeoff adding power at a moderate rate (trying for a "scale" departure). After lift off I flipped the gear switch and the left unit went half way up and stopped. I turned her every way I could manage and the gear would not go up so, I flew it gear down for about 5 min. and made another very nice landing (this bird makes me look good ).
Bottom line ...I really like the way she handles and she has plenty of speed. I did get the gear up for most of the 2nd attempt today and she moves along quite rapidly with plenty of power for aerobatic manuevers that I'm too chicken try right now. Gear down makes a difference in drag but, doesn't adversely affect handling. All control surfaces are very effective. The CA hinges are still a bit stiff but, will get more flexible with time.
I really like this airplane. She looks Outstanding in the air with the gear up and she's an honest flyer.
The only knocks I have are the plastic gear mechanism and the covering material. If I can find metal replacements of the correct size I'll replace the gear. The "Lightex" covering is very thin and fragile. It's easily punctured and dented. I plan to re-cover the entire wing in the near future and use a tougher material.
By the way ...I'm flying this bird using two 3s 2200mah 20C LIPOs wired in parallel. This configuration gives the bird an all up weight of 3lbs and she penetrates the wind very well ....as I had hoped. I flew one "2 battery pack" for about 8 min. today and both registered 11.3 volts remaining when I put them on the charger.
I think this one is a winner and a keeper.

RJ

Last edited by rowdyjoe; 11-25-2009 at 05:53 AM.
Old 12-01-2009, 03:40 PM
texasclouds
Super Contributor

sounds like you got the bugs worked out. when is the video coming???
Old 12-01-2009, 04:22 PM
rowdyjoe

texasclouds,
Sorry, the video won't be coming until after the rebuild. I crashed it a few days ago. Again, don't know what caused it but, it stopped reacting to commands and slow spiraled in from about 100 feet. Everything was going very well and I had been flying for about 5 or 6 min. It appeared to loose signal at the top of a loop and nothing I did would stop it. There was room to recover had the airplane responded but, no soap.
Post crash analysis hasn't revealed any defects in the electrics or the plane. Everything was still plugged-in and opperational so, I plugged a battery in and tested the system. I could find nothing wrong. I plan to change the receiver and ESC just in case there's an intermittent problem. Oh, by the way ...I'm using a Spektrum 2.4 ghz system so I've ruled out a "hit" from someone turning on a transmitter.

It crashed into the bushes and tall grass about 50 feet the other side of the runway and broke the fuselage in half just in front of the cockpit. The wing was also damaged but, I think it will be easy to repair compared to the fuselage. I'm working on it now and the going is slow (like a jig saw puzzle) but, if I take my time and do it right she'll fly again. It will be tricky getting the two broken fuselage halves in alignment.
Needless to say, she will be stronger after the rebuild (and probably heavier). I'll also have to re-cover the entire airplane. I haven't done that in ages so, it will be a re-learning experience.

Airborne Models sells replacement parts but, they are comparatively expensive. $70 for a new fuselage ...half the cost of the entire airplane ...hardly seems worth it. Might as well buy a new plane. Hope it doesn't come to that.

RJ
Old 12-01-2009, 04:34 PM
texasclouds
Super Contributor

which receiver were you using?
Old 12-01-2009, 04:40 PM
rowdyjoe

I use 6100e in all of my planes and have never had a problem.
Old 12-01-2009, 04:50 PM
texasclouds
Super Contributor

linear BEC supply?
Old 12-01-2009, 04:56 PM
rowdyjoe

Not this time. I put a Castle 10A switcher in this one and disabled the internal linear in the ESC.
Old 12-01-2009, 05:20 PM
Turner
Super Contributor

I'm new to all this and don't know the reason for your crashes but the 6100 is considered a Park Flyer Rx. There are numerous threads here and elsewhere about similar loss of control events with the 6100. Shouldn't you have a full range Rx in a plane that size? I spoke to Spektrum support recently about their receivers and he recommended the AR500 or AR6200 for planes this size and reiterated that the 6100 was for park flying.
Old 12-01-2009, 07:15 PM
rowdyjoe

Turner,
I've heard that before however, I have flown all 4 of my planes using 6100e receivers and have yet to have a problem that I can attribute to the receiver. If you/they are implying that it has limited range, I haven't experienced that problem. I don't understand the difference between flying in a "park" and flying at an RC airfield nor do I see any advantage or disadvantage to the size of the airplane the receiver is installed in.
I've heard there were problems with earlier firmware versions. I have one version 1.2 receiver (not installed) and the remaining 5 are version 1.6 and I have a new 6110e I plan to install in my first EDF jet.
The AMA definition of a park flyer is ...under 2 lbs and not faster than 60mph. I have two planes that weigh more than 2 lbs but, still do not exceed 60 mph. Does the weight of the airplane affect the receiver? I don't think so and I doubt the speed does either.
One more thing ...ALL of my planes are electric. I do not own a glow or gas plane and probably never will.

Call me hard-headed but, until someone can give me a better explanation as to why the 6100 series, and now the 6110 series, should not be flown in planes other than "park flyers", I'll continue to use them in my electrics.

RJ
Old 12-01-2009, 08:05 PM
Turner
Super Contributor

Again I'm no expert but based on what I've read and what I learned talking to Spektrum support it is all about antenna diversity. The 6100 lacks this with it's two small antenna so close together so the signal is more likely to be blocked behind the motor or battery. I bought a AR500 for my Super Cub conversion and would probably choose a 6200 for a plane like yours.

I recommend you call Spektrum.

Quick Reply: World Models P-51D Mustang "EP" 49 inch Wing Span

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service - Do Not Sell My Personal Information -

Copyright 2018 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.

Page generated in 0.11852 seconds with 19 queries