Delta & Flying Wings Discuss electric powered delta (flying wing) style aircraft here.

Build Log - Pixie 20" Electric Flying Wing

Old 09-07-2010, 10:03 PM
Blue Note

All Up Weight ( AUW ) :

An acceptable and achievable AUW of 6.0oz is expected. Lighter components and attention to fine details can reduce the weight further, but in some cases at consequences of strength and costs. BE CAREFUL! The weight can add up very quickly. Short cuts can have significant affects on the flight performance of such a small plane.
Attached Thumbnails Click image for larger version

Name:	Pixie - 01 - AUW.jpg
Views:	114
Size:	106.0 KB
ID:	135171   Click image for larger version

Name:	Pixie - 02 - RPM.jpg
Views:	119
Size:	103.9 KB
ID:	135172   Click image for larger version

Name:	Pixie - 03 - Amps.jpg
Views:	125
Size:	142.8 KB
ID:	135173  
Old 09-07-2010, 10:04 PM
Blue Note

Launching and Flying :

Note : Launch with the Pixie on low rates until trimmed and comfortable.

To launch the Pixie, turn the propeller so that it is orientated vertically. With the motor off, place your index and middle finger to either side of the motor with the nose of the plane stabilized with the thumb and ring finger. Give the Pixie a moderate overhand toss, slightly nose up, into the wind and then start the propeller after launch.
Gain a little altitude, then adjust your trims while flying into or with the wind ( not a cross wind ). Properly trimmed, the Pixie is stable enough for long distances of hands-off flight.
Attached Thumbnails Click image for larger version

Name:	Pixie -01 -  Launching Grip.JPG
Views:	121
Size:	225.7 KB
ID:	135174   Click image for larger version

Name:	Pixie - 02 - Launching Grip.JPG
Views:	132
Size:	201.6 KB
ID:	135175  
Old 09-07-2010, 10:04 PM
Blue Note

Old 09-08-2010, 03:43 AM
smokejohnson
Super Contributor

Wow that looks great BN, the plane and the build thread.

Thanks for sharing .
Old 09-13-2010, 04:03 PM
orvillewright
Tim Wright

Blue Note: I must highly commend you for the time and patience it took to photo and post all your work. this is very useful for all, to see your steps is a great way to show case what you did....Hats off to you... however, How come you did not use standard Mylar covering for this project? would this not eliminate the need to glue the cover, and it would be a smoother finish....overall ....great job
Old 09-14-2010, 12:13 AM
Blue Note

Originally Posted by orvillewright View Post
Blue Note: I must highly commend you for the time and patience it took to photo and post all your work. this is very useful for all, to see your steps is a great way to show case what you did....Hats off to you... however, How come you did not use standard Mylar covering for this project? would this not eliminate the need to glue the cover, and it would be a smoother finish....overall ....great job

Thanks. I'm not sure I fully understand what you mean by "standard Mylar cover" and about gluing the cover. As I always have the colored packing tape on hand due to my combat participation, and it is very light and inexpensive, I chose to cover the Pixie with the tape. I could have made the overall finish smoother by a different component cover method, but I am not willing to trap the battery in the plane for safety reasons. I'm sure there are many other ways to address the finishing touches. I have even played around with covering it with Polyspan and painting it, but for the time and money component, it didn't seem like it would matter much. If you have any pictures about what you are referring to, please post them. It might be an approach that had not occurred to me. Alternate ideas are highly encouraged and the suggested building process is by no means set in stone. I welcome the input and ideas.
Old 09-14-2010, 01:49 AM
orvillewright
Tim Wright

Default Covering

I responded to your post by Email, I was referring to Mono-Coat or Oro-Coat covering, otherwise great job
Old 09-14-2010, 02:07 AM
Blue Note

I have found the colored packing tape to be lighter than most other film coverings, and a LOT cheaper for the number of planes you can cover. Do I like it? No, not really...but its value is hard to overlook. Due to the planned flying style for this plane, and the need for battery access, the tape seemed the best compromise.

The Pixie in the images is shown is without the battery in place, which changes the smoothness of the top of the plane. Furthermore, I went a little too light with the spray glue on the EPP, and the tape had less aggressive adhesive that the other colors I have used in the past, thus wrinkles emerge over time. By the time these photos were taken, this Pixie had been driven into the ground at full speed 3-4 times from trying stupid stuff, which is the appeal of it to me. The finish could be further refined by the use of light weight spackle pushed into the EPP pores and then sanded smooth. I have done this, and it does help, but by the time all was said and done, the "pretty" version weighed almost 1/2 oz more and lost a little of its spunk. Although, if I were making a version for just flying ( i.e. no combat or pylon racing ) I might revisit this approach.