3D Flying Discuss everything related to "3D" flying including construction, power setups and flying techniques

GWS Corsair Mod for 3D flying???

Old 04-29-2011, 10:06 AM
unitfreebie

Default GWS Corsair Mod for 3D flying???

Hi all...

I have a NIB GWS Corsair and want to 3D fly it so the question is can anyone tell me or point me in the right direction on selecting a Brushless Motor, Prop, and Lipo battery for the power system; and then what or how much to modify the area and throw of the rudder, elevator and ailerons?

Thanks for any help...

ps. I posted this in the WarBird forum but got no response...
Old 04-29-2011, 05:46 PM
CrimzonRider
Fastest PropHead Crasher

Originally Posted by unitfreebie View Post
Hi all...

I have a NIB GWS Corsair .......

ps. I posted this in the WarBird forum but got no response...

I wonder why.....a new corsair have you flown it yet and what is your setup. The control surfaces might not be big enuff.....dunno. Im not a 3D'er, but I would imagine it would work, maybe not very well though....lol IMO This plane is designed for a different purpose. I am sure it would make a great video!!

have a good one
cr

Expecting a good vid.....
Try posting it in the 3d flying threads......
Old 04-30-2011, 06:43 PM
unitfreebie

Thanks for your reply.... I posted the question here on the 3D flying forum in hopes of getting some good advice.

Well, No, I have not flown it yet as it is "New In Box" and still needs to be built up... so I want to get some ideas from anyone on modifying it for 3D flying before I assemble it.

I am thinking I will need to modify the control surfaces... like 50% rudder, 50% elevator and 30% aileron. Since the Flying weight is stated around 16 oz, I am thinking a power system using a 150 Watt motor (minimum) with 3S 1600mAH 25C LIPO would be sufficient to start?

Yes, I could build the Corsair as is from the box but then I would quickly tire and want something more exciting as in 3D flying.... I like to Hang the plane but don't know how the Bent wings will affect it's handling characteristics.

Therefore, I would appreciate any comments on modifying the kit to achieve good 3D Flying performance.

Thanks for any help...
Old 04-30-2011, 06:50 PM
kenchiroalpha
Retired Master Chief USN

Hi
Pleased to meet you
I agree with Crimzon 100% The corsair will not make a good 3d aircraft as its just not designed for that type of flight
Why not just get a dedicated 3d bird and keep the Corsair as is
She will still be a very exciting aircraft to fly and should not get boring
Take care
Yours Hank
Old 04-30-2011, 07:25 PM
unitfreebie

Hi Hank,

Thanks for the fast reply... Well, yes, I agree that the Corsair is not designed for 3D flying but I would like to modify it for 3D flying and need helpful advice from the 3D flying community.

I am very partial to the F4U Corsair as I flown it a long time ago as a kid back in Jr. High School during U-control Carrier competition events. That was a very long time ago and probably very few hobbyist know anything about it. But basically, in order to win the competition, the airplane has to be flown for 10 fast laps, then ten slow laps and then land on a simulated aircraft carrier deck using an arresting hook on the airplane. The slow laps are accomplished by almost "hanging" the plane by it's prop while modulating the engine speed with an exhaust type valve. Only a successful landing with the arresting hook would be awarded an extra 100 points.

That said, if I could do at least the hang flying with the Corsair that would bring back fond memories of my childhood!

I am not an aeronautical engineer and don't know enough about the bent wings characteristics in 3D flying. I could unbend the wings but don't want to lose the familiarity traits of the Corsair. I have seen the GSW Corsair fly in several videos and it performs beautifully, even in inverted flight, but don't know how much of it is attributed to the pilot's skill.

I have a lot of experience in model building (old style using balsa, silkspan, clear dope, fiberglass, etc) and electronics so don't mind taking the extra step to make an exceptional airplane and hopefully 3D...

Best Regards, Mike
Old 04-30-2011, 07:35 PM
JetPlaneFlyer
Super Contributor

3D planes need to have very low wing loading to be able to remain controllable at super low speeds. The Corsair is very light but doent really have the super light wing loading a small 3D plane would have and there is no practical way to fix that 'problem'... plus all the other things that make it unsuitable such as wrong type of airfoil, probably not strong enough for violent 3d manoeuvres, inadequate control surface area etc

There is plenty of fun to be had flying a 'normal' plane, no reason to get bored. When you want a 3d flyer go out and build or buy one made for the purpose.

Sorry if this appears negative but no point spoiling a decent model trying to make it do something that it's never going to be even halfway good at.

Steve

Last edited by JetPlaneFlyer; 04-30-2011 at 08:14 PM.
Old 04-30-2011, 07:47 PM
kenchiroalpha
Retired Master Chief USN

Originally Posted by unitfreebie View Post
Hi Hank,

Thanks for the fast reply... Well, yes, I agree that the Corsair is not designed for 3D flying but I would like to modify it for 3D flying and need helpful advice from the 3D flying community.

I am very partial to the F4U Corsair as I flown it a long time ago as a kid back in Jr. High School during U-control Carrier competition events. That was a very long time ago and probably very few hobbyist know anything about it. But basically, in order to win the competition, the airplane has to be flown for 10 fast laps, then ten slow laps and then land on a simulated aircraft carrier deck using an arresting hook on the airplane. The slow laps are accomplished by almost "hanging" the plane by it's prop while modulating the engine speed with an exhaust type valve. Only a successful landing with the arresting hook would be awarded an extra 100 points.

That said, if I could do at least the hang flying with the Corsair that would bring back fond memories of my childhood!

I am not an aeronautical engineer and don't know enough about the bent wings characteristics in 3D flying. I could unbend the wings but don't want to lose the familiarity traits of the Corsair. I have seen the GSW Corsair fly in several videos and it performs beautifully, even in inverted flight, but don't know how much of it is attributed to the pilot's skill.

I have a lot of experience in model building (old style using balsa, silkspan, clear dope, fiberglass, etc) and electronics so don't mind taking the extra step to make an exceptional airplane and hopefully 3D...

Best Regards, Mike
Hi Mike
Your most welcome
The Corsair is one of my favs as well, in fact she is my home states "Official Aircraft"
http://www.connecticutcorsair.com/
Heres a couple of photos of a full size one
http://www.wattflyer.com/forums/show...37&postcount=4
And i enclose a couple of photos my models of them
I would think to get her to perform well you will need to reinforce the wings, have lots of thrust, and enlarge the rudder and elevator by a sizable factor
I would leave the ailerons alone at first and moddify accordingly after the first test flights
Best of luck with your project
Awaiting your results will great anticipation
Take care
Yours Hank

Last edited by kenchiroalpha; 08-15-2011 at 01:41 AM.
Old 04-30-2011, 07:49 PM
CHELLIE
Super Contributor

I Agree with everyone that the GWS Corsair is not a good 3D plane, to heavy, also take a good look at the GWS Corsair wings, mine had a bad twist in it, and would always pull right, no matter how much left thrust or left trim i added to it, the right wing was twisted down, and its very hard to see with a gull wing, i had to use rulers on a flat table and measure everything to find it, The GWS Formosa or Formosa II might be a better GWS 3D Plane.

http://www.headsuprc.com/servlet/the...OSA--II/Detail

http://www.headsuprc.com/servlet/the...FORMOSA/Detail

Old 04-30-2011, 07:55 PM
CHELLIE
Super Contributor

A Nice 3D Plane for the money

http://3dxhobbies.com/airfoilz-edge-540nx.html