Aerodynamics Discuss the concepts of aerodynamics here

Aileron hinging

Old 02-26-2014, 06:48 AM
thepiper92
Warbird Fanatic

That makes perfect sense now. Mylar would hold with CA too, would it not. Now I am somewhat unsure of my P51...I used CA and did not make pin holes. The instructions only said to cut the pieces, make slots and use CA to glue them in. Would you say the mylar is as good as an actual pivoting hinge?
Old 02-26-2014, 06:49 AM
fhhuber
Super Contributor

CA hinges are fine when properly installed.

Error #1: using anything other than THIN CA. Med or thick won't wick in and will only glue appx 1/16 inch edges of the hinge as it enters the wood. Feels secure and the bond has no strength.

Thinner, cheaper CA works best. That cheap stuff from Dollar Store that you can't get to stick balsa together... use it for the hinges. It will wick in like crazy and lock the hinge in forever.

Med and thick CA also gum up the hinge line and will cause the hinge material to crack.

Error #2... too thick of a hinge slot. It has to be tight enough that you can pick up the control surface by one hinge before its glued in. If its not tight you aren't going to get a good bond.
Old 02-26-2014, 07:02 AM
thepiper92
Warbird Fanatic

Originally Posted by fhhuber View Post
CA hinges are fine when properly installed.

Error #1: using anything other than THIN CA. Med or thick won't wick in and will only glue appx 1/16 inch edges of the hinge as it enters the wood. Feels secure and the bond has no strength.

Thinner, cheaper CA works best. That cheap stuff from Dollar Store that you can't get to stick balsa together... use it for the hinges. It will wick in like crazy and lock the hinge in forever.

Med and thick CA also gum up the hinge line and will cause the hinge material to crack.

Error #2... too thick of a hinge slot. It has to be tight enough that you can pick up the control surface by one hinge before its glued in. If its not tight you aren't going to get a good bond.
Thanks, very good information to have. I did use thin CA on the P51...from what I remember. I used wood glue on the whole build, and CA on a select few areas, and I remember it being thin. If I install actual pivoting hinges, would I follow the same steps? I am still unsure if actual hinges are better than CA ones, it seems they would have some play, but how much really? I am not using them in a balsa jet, so I am not hitting some Mach 4 scale speed.
Old 02-26-2014, 08:23 AM
fhhuber
Super Contributor

Actual pivoting hinges: Melt some candle wax in a shallow dish. Fold the hings and stick the pin portion in the wax so the glue won't stick in that part of it. If glue sticks the pin to the hinge you have problems.

I usually install those with epoxy and if they are the flat leaf type I also drill and pin in with toothpicks since the nylon tends to not stick to any glue well. The robart barbed ones, the barbs trap them in the epoxy.

Good quality pinned hinges with a pin that fits well will have virtually zero slop.
Old 02-26-2014, 10:58 AM
solentlife
Super Contributor

With glow powered and large models - I also drill / pin my hinges to secure. But with electric general I don't pin and never had a problem except with CA type.

My big gasoline Cessna has the pivot type that are barbed hinged rods. Drill hole, cut small v to accommodate pivot part. Epoxy in.

Nigel
Old 02-26-2014, 02:41 PM
thepiper92
Warbird Fanatic

Have you ever tried using wood glue for holding the hinges. If it is going through the holes in the hinges, wouldn't there be a decent bond. I was looking around and came across someone who uses wood glue with the Robart hinges.
Old 02-26-2014, 04:42 PM
Al_M

I try to use sewn hinges whenever possible. I would attach pictures, but it has been a while since I was able to upload pictures. I won't try again on this forum. It works ok on RCG.
Old 02-26-2014, 05:25 PM
thepiper92
Warbird Fanatic

I fine you have to upload after every few pics you use, if that makes sense. I found that if I selected five pics, then clicked upload, it would fail. Once you push upload you can go back to select more pics, then re-upload. Aside from that, I've had no issues posting pics.
Old 02-26-2014, 05:58 PM
solentlife
Super Contributor

Originally Posted by Al_M View Post
I try to use sewn hinges whenever possible. I would attach pictures, but it has been a while since I was able to upload pictures. I won't try again on this forum. It works ok on RCG.
RCG is not perfect either.....

Here it is better to load single pics at a time. Or do as I usually do - use Photobucket file sharing site. This then gives you storage if photos as an archive, allows posting to forums without loading up their allocated space, is quick and easy to post.

Nigel
Old 02-26-2014, 07:39 PM
thepiper92
Warbird Fanatic

So I ordered a few things:

https://www.rcplanet.com/ProductDeta...uctCode=DUB216

https://www.rcplanet.com/ProductDeta...uctCode=DUB916

https://www.rcplanet.com/ProductDeta...uctCode=DUB119
Old 02-26-2014, 09:38 PM
fhhuber
Super Contributor

Other glues can work. But no glue holds really well to nylon. You can help the glue hold by lightly sanding the surface of the nylon to give a rough surface and remove the residual mold release agent. Still, if the nylon flexes the glue peels off.

So for nylon hinges, I'll drill and insert toothpick pins to lock them into the wood. This is a practice that has been recommended for over 20 years.

Yes, if the glue bonds through the holes molded into the nylon hinge leafs it should hold... but you can't count on it.
Old 02-26-2014, 10:00 PM
thepiper92
Warbird Fanatic

So to figure out the holes, I would just place the hinge on top of the wood above the hinge slot?
Old 02-26-2014, 11:25 PM
fhhuber
Super Contributor

Originally Posted by thepiper92 View Post
So to figure out the holes, I would just place the hinge on top of the wood above the hinge slot?
That works