Aerial Photography Discuss all aerial photography topics as they relate to rc aircraft

Been looking for alternative to Hatcam setup

Old 08-21-2016, 11:09 AM
solentlife
Super Contributor

Default Been looking for alternative to Hatcam setup

Been looking for alternative to my hat mounted cam and thought this might work ..

http://www.hobbyking.com/hobbyking/s...arehouse_.html

Its designed for FPV and Telemetry screens but I reckon could mount a cam nicely. The trick will be of course keeping the cam pointed correctly.

For those who know I ordered the Soloshot3 system - delivery quoted as early spring 2016 .... just been told even though I was an early Pre-order customer - delivery is likely to be back end of November !! That puts it at near 1 year from ordering !!

Nigel
Old 08-21-2016, 12:13 PM
JetPlaneFlyer
Super Contributor

That's a real bummer about the SoloShot delivery!.. Just a week ago they were quoting 'Late Summer'.. which is now! Seems like for the last year delivery has been constantly been three months in the future and just keeps moving out. Has anyone took delivery yet?

As for the Tx mount... I dont think it will work because the Tx (unlike your head) isnt always pointing at the model. If you try to concentrate on aiming the Tx/camera at the plane all the time it's likely to end badly because you cant be giving full attention to flying the plane.

So what's wrong with a camera mount on a headband... it works fine for me.
Old 08-21-2016, 03:48 PM
solentlife
Super Contributor

I'm trying to get away from my Hatcam ... the 808 cams are getting unreliable in action and my Sunglass cam gets fouled with my prescription glasses.

I try to run both so I get low angle and high angle shots that I can combine - but lately my cams have been poor.
Winters good because I wear my hat with ear flaps ... for some reason I can then set my sunglass cam on that hat fine. But on usual baseball caps - the arms slide about.

I agree that Tx is not always pointed at model ...

Soloshot are annoying me truly, I have emailed them a number of times and get very nice sweet talk back.
I think I was near correct with my assessment that they are using a new production factory and was reason for pre-payment orders. Makes me wonder if the number of Pre-orders was enough for pre-pay to factory ??

One thing they did change was that daft mic input ... they now have a standard 3.5mm instead of the less common 2.5mm.

Nigel
Old 08-21-2016, 04:23 PM
JetPlaneFlyer
Super Contributor

Just use a headtorch mount, like this:

You need to modify the actual mount to take the camera of your choice, but that's not a problem.
Old 08-21-2016, 05:15 PM
Bald Paul

Originally Posted by solentlife View Post

Soloshot are annoying me truly, I have emailed them a number of times and get very nice sweet talk back.
I think I was near correct with my assessment that they are using a new production factory and was reason for pre-payment orders. Makes me wonder if the number of Pre-orders was enough for pre-pay to factory ??

One thing they did change was that daft mic input ... they now have a standard 3.5mm instead of the less common 2.5mm.

Nigel
It sounds to me like Soloshot is trying to use pre-order funding to perfect their design, and then go into production.

It sounds a lot like Elio Motors, who years ago promised a $6800 three wheeled car that got 80+ MPG. They accepted money to guarantee you a spot on the production list. Of course, nobody has seen a single car come off a production line, basically because they are still trying to raise enough money to purchase a plant (supposedly). The production date keeps getting pushed further and further out. I know a guy who put down a deposit on one. I'm afraid he's going to lose his money when the company finally goes bankrupt.
Old 08-21-2016, 05:36 PM
solentlife
Super Contributor

Originally Posted by JetPlaneFlyer View Post
Just use a headtorch mount, like this:

You need to modify the actual mount to take the camera of your choice, but that's not a problem.
I have a couple of them and did look at them before.

I was going to fit my MD80 cam to one - but both my MD80's are 'wonky' ... they are unreliable.
I have a Sport cam in waterproof case - but its too heavy for the strap.

What I have thought about is to modify a pair of my glasses and add a camera lens without body ... have a lead to a pocket unit of board and 1S lipo.

The Soloshot would be the perfect answer IF I ever get one !!

Here's the latest update I got :

Sent: Friday, 19 August 2016 19:18
To: [email protected]
Reply To: SOLOSHOT
Subject: Your August Pre-Order Update: We’re Getting Closer!

​ Hi Nigel​,​ ​
We’ve made a ton of progress since last month’s email, and we’re stoked to share these latest updates with you:

A Familiar User Interface Meets a Powerful New Piece of Hardware

Watch your SOLOSHOT3 Base come to life, easily connect to the internet and phone home to your SOLOSHOTcloud account!

In designing SOLOSHOT3, we wanted to do more than just build the next iteration of SOLOSHOT. We wanted to deliver powerful yet flexible hardware with an architecture that would add functionality and improve usability long after shipping to customers.

One area that highlights this commitment is the user interface where we made the leap from the static buttons and LED’s of SOLOSHOT2, to the full blown smartphone-like touchscreen of SOLOSHOT3, complete with cloud connectivity. The resulting out-of-the-box experience is simple and intuitive. SOLOSHOT3 is also fully upgradable and adaptable over time - much like adding apps to your smartphone!

As we count down to shipping, we will be releasing more videos that highlight the hardware and software features that we firmly believe make SOLOSHOT3 well worth the wait! Speaking of waiting…

The Wait is Almost Over! Shipping Updates:

We are currently assembling and testing our first large batch of SOLOSHOT3 units. High volume production units are expected to begin shipping in the second half of October, with the majority of pre-orders shipping in November as we cautiously ramp up mass production. Pre-orders will ship in the order that they were placed.

We recognize and sincerely apologize for being significantly later than originally planned, but we are more confident than ever that the massive engineering effort, attention to detail and cautious production ramp-up schedule will absolutely make SOLOSHOT3 the best robot cameraman yet!

When we began designing SOLOSHOT3 in early 2015, we truly thought we had budgeted for the types of delays we experienced bringing our first two generations to life, but, in hindsight it is absolutely clear we underestimated the difficulties of developing on cutting-edge chips and, for the first time in our history, partnering with high volume consumer electronics manufacturers instead of doing all the production ourselves. The process has been both humbling and inspiring, and we hope our dedication and commitment to function, form and quality comes through loud and clear when you begin using your SOLOSHOT3.

We are sorry for the many inconveniences and lost opportunities this delay may have caused. We hope you find comfort in knowing that we continue to work our engineering butts off to ship a world-class product to you soon, and that we will continue to work our butts off long after we ship to bring new software, firmware and app functionality to your SOLOSHOT3!

We Listened! Upgraded Features

Thank you to everyone who has been sharing feedback, concerns and suggestions with our tireless Customer Service team! We take every bit of it into consideration when making product decisions. Thanks to you, everyone’s SOLOSHOT3 hardware will now include the following upgrades at shipping:

Base:
HDMI out has been added! Direct your video feed to a monitor or switcher! We will keep you updated on launch video resolutions and post-shipping expanded resolutions.
OpticX Cameras:
Mic Jack upgraded from 2.5mm to 3.5mm in order to accommodate more standard mics. No more jack adapter is needed for 3.5mm mics!
As always, feel free to reach out to us directly via email or phone with any questions or concerns. The entire SOLOSHOT team cannot wait to get SOLOSHOT3 into your hands and see your creativity in action. The excitement of product launch and your support is what drives us day in and day out.

Thank you again for your continued patience and stoke. We wouldn’t be here without you!

Sincerely,
The entire SOLOSHOT team!
Yeh ok ...

Nigel
Old 08-21-2016, 05:48 PM
Bald Paul

The Soloshot would be the perfect answer IF I ever get one !!

Nigel
Sound familiar?

"Elio Motors has pushed back the release date of their three wheel car, which was initially slated to be released in 2014. The date had once been pushed back to 2015, and again moved to 2016. This date has made automotive analysts question the company's ability to deliver this car on time. In effort to secure a Department of Energy loan, Elio is offering pre-orders where the buyer must pay the full price of the car in advance before the car reaches production. In addition to announcing a pre-order program, they have increased the projected price of the car from the original $6,800 to $7,300." (from Wikipedia)

Crowd-funding a company. Ain't it grand?
Old 08-21-2016, 06:13 PM
Wildflyer
Past President of PSSF

In commercial construction work, I wore a hardhat so much it seems natural. I am thinking of mounting my GoPro clone to to top with a sighting rectangle mounted to the brim. Keep the plane inside the wires and I hope to get a decent picture.

Of course I haven't built this yet so it is still theory, but it should work fine.
Old 08-21-2016, 06:50 PM
JetPlaneFlyer
Super Contributor

Personally i think 'sights' are a waste of time and potentially dangerous. To make them work at all you would have to have a 'front' and 'rear' sight that you lined up (with one eye closed?). A single sight doesnt actually tell you anything about where the camera is pointing.

Worse still, having sights which by definition will be directly in your line of sight to your model and would partly obscure it and which you have to focus on 'aiming' would be extremely distracting and dangerous when trying to fly the plane.

It's unnecessary anyway. The typical keychain or action cam has such a wide angle lense that you only need it pointed roughly in the right direction. A little trial and error soon gets the angle right. Here's a video I shot last weekend using a Mobius cam on a headband with no sights... Centering of the frame is fine as far as I can tell:

The main issue with action cams is the wide angle lense makes the model look very small. You need a different camera type with a zoom to solve that one, either handheld or with automated tracking like Nigel's elusive SoloShot3.
Old 08-21-2016, 06:57 PM
solentlife
Super Contributor

Originally Posted by Wildflyer View Post
In commercial construction work, I wore a hardhat so much it seems natural. I am thinking of mounting my GoPro clone to to top with a sighting rectangle mounted to the brim. Keep the plane inside the wires and I hope to get a decent picture.

Of course I haven't built this yet so it is still theory, but it should work fine.
I hate hardhats ... I hit my head more when wearing than without. Ships pipelines are at silly height above deck. Must suit the Chinese / Japs / Koreans being shorter ! But without hat - I just duck head and fine. With hardhat - I literally bang head near everytime because they have an excess distance as shockabsorber inside ... the distance from your head in the webbing band and the outer shell.

I have a spare hat downstairs ... and I have also though of a cam on the brim. Chellie showed a 'gunsight' approach on a cam long time ago and another showed a metal ring he fashioned for his hat brim ...

Here are two videos of the same flight ... one with the 808 on brim of my Club Baseball cap .... it has the correct Date and time shown top right in video - yes I can set my date !!

and this being my sunglass cam that I sit over top of my prescription glasses ..

Problem there is getting cap correct as peak angles down. Second is the sunglass frame does not sit well over my normal glasses and moves when I look up / down.

But if you have the patience ... ... to watch them both - you see that one captures near all flight while other gets lost at edges and top at times.

The Soloshot of course is supposed to cure all that by having the chip on the model ... the camera is fed telemetry info incl. GPS data so camera zooms in / out ... pans correctly as well as tilt.
The other advantage of course is the remote mic so I can talk to you guys through the flight ... aren't you lucky !! and that I can actually be seen in flights when low passes etc. because then the camera will be separate from me ! Oh you lucky lucky people !!

Nigel
Old 08-21-2016, 07:06 PM
JetPlaneFlyer
Super Contributor

Problem there is getting cap correct as peak angles down. Second is the sunglass frame does not sit well over my normal glasses and moves when I look up / down.
Then get a headtorch mount, it would solve both of those issues.
The peaks of caps are to keep sun out of your eyes, not to mount cameras on. They are too 'floppy' and difficult to get consistent alignment. Similar story with sunglasses, they are not intended to carry the weight of a camera.

i dont think anything will compete with the SoloShot but we are talking very different price points here.
Old 08-21-2016, 07:24 PM
solentlife
Super Contributor

Originally Posted by JetPlaneFlyer View Post
Then get a headtorch mount, it would solve both of those issues.
The peaks of caps are to keep sun out of your eyes, not to mount cameras on. They are too 'floppy' and difficult to get consistent alignment. Similar story with sunglasses, they are not intended to carry the weight of a camera.

i dont think anything will compete with the SoloShot but we are talking very different price points here.
Methinks you may have misunderstood ...

The 808 is a keycam and the baseball cap peak is one of those stiff variety ... no problem of being floppy.

The Sunglass cam ... its a proper Sunglass camera setup designed for the job ... not modified normal sunglasses !

http://www.ebay.co.uk/itm/SPY-HIDDEN...gAAOSwWBJXA4SP

Nigel
Old 08-21-2016, 07:58 PM
solentlife
Super Contributor

OK JPF - you've convinced me !! ... instead of butchering my head lamps ... I have found this ...

http://www.ebay.co.uk/itm/251892227771

A head band set without lamp ... ready to take what you want.

I will fit ....

http://www.ebay.co.uk/itm/New-Smalle...AAAOSw3ydVsddW

which I have sitting spare but couldn't sort a decent mount for it.

Nigel
Old 08-23-2016, 05:07 AM
dahawk
Super Contributor

I think you need to add a little style and I found the perfect headpiece:

A WW-1 German Helmut. All you need to do is cut some thread on the tip of the spike to match up with a Mobius and you're gold.

Hawk
Old 08-23-2016, 07:32 AM
solentlife
Super Contributor

I have a Soviet Tank Commander and Soviet Naval Captains hats .... !!

Nigel