Beginners New to e-power flying? Get the low down in here from experienced e-power RC pilots!

New hobby - my plan - tell me what you think.

Old 05-24-2020, 11:56 PM
Elecam

Default New hobby - my plan - tell me what you think.

To start out, I am a fairly high time pilot. I worked as a pilot for many years before I lost my medical and had to retire. I've dabbled in many hobbies over the years and I am getting bored and wanted to try something new, something involving aviation in some form.

So I figured I'd try RC. I've been doing some reading and even though I have been a pilot, the idea of controlling an aircraft from any location other than the cockpit seems strange and alien to me, so a crash is almost inevitable, so my first model should be cheap and durable. I've been looking around and saw this model and thought it looked like a good one.

Model: FMS Sky Trainer 182 RC Airplane 5CH 1400mm (55.5") Wingspan at Blue with Flaps (I would have posted a links but I don't know the policy for this site and figured better safe than sorry)

Now this version is ready built (mostly) and does not have a receiver, radio, charger or battery. And I could use some advice where that is concerned as well, but I was looking at this:

Radio/Receiver: Spektrum DX8 Transmitter with AR8010T Receiver: 8-Channel 2.4GHz DSMX Air RC Radio (Gen 2 Mode 2) with AR8010T Telemetry Rx, SPM8015

Batt: E-flite 11.1V 2200mAh 3S 30C LiPo Battery

Charger: Tenergy TB6-B Balance Charger Discharger 1S-6S Digital Battery Pack Charger

I'm new to this so don't worry about hurting my feelings, any advice is appreciated.

Thx
Old 05-25-2020, 06:10 PM
Wildflyer
Past President of PSSF

Welcome to the hobby and to Wattflyer.
You maybe a bit overwhelmed with the programming and capabilities of the DX8 transmitter at first but it is a great radio.
My personal radio is a DX8g2, I hope you are looking at the g2 model as it has more model memory and other features.
Read through the manual and ask questions, in a while things will make sense. All modern systems have programming and they all are a little different.

You will find controlling a model to be a lot different that flying a real plane, you don't get the feedback in the seat of your pants. Many people find going from a real plane to a model makes it harder to learn the model. Goes the other way when going from a model to a real plane.

Have you thought about getting a RC type flight simulator? Real flight 9 is probably the most famous, but there are others. They real help learning to fly from a ground point of view. I met a 7 year old with a lot of time on a simulator, and hooked him up buddy box on my 6 1/2 lb trainer airplane. He did great.
When you do go out please see if you can find an instructor he will help a lot.

I wish you luck and a lot of fun. I have been in this hobby since 1960 and still going strong.
Old 05-25-2020, 08:22 PM
quorneng
Super Contributor

Elecam
Don't worry too much about your full size experience causing a crash. I can assure you virtually everybody crashes (and more than once!) when learning RC flying no matter what background they come from. On the other hand your pilot experience will help you understand after the event what happened and why. Spotting the potential 'crash' situations before the crash is what learning RC is all about. I like to think my full size experience helped me.
Your proposed equipment sound fine but again don't be put off by all the 'bells and whistles' that your DX8 can provide. KISS is good for beginners!
Are you proposing to join a club? Most will have some for of buddy training available.
Your can learn on your own but it may prove frustrating (and expensive) with out some 'real time' guidence.
Don't be shy about asking any questions on this forum no matter how trivial it may seem. The only dumb question is the one you con't ask!

Last edited by quorneng; 05-27-2020 at 06:46 PM.
Old 07-04-2020, 12:48 PM
AEAJR
Community Moderator

Originally Posted by Elecam View Post
To start out, I am a fairly high time pilot. I worked as a pilot for many years before I lost my medical and had to retire. I've dabbled in many hobbies over the years and I am getting bored and wanted to try something new, something involving aviation in some form.

So I figured I'd try RC. I've been doing some reading and even though I have been a pilot, the idea of controlling an aircraft from any location other than the cockpit seems strange and alien to me, so a crash is almost inevitable, so my first model should be cheap and durable. I've been looking around and saw this model and thought it looked like a good one.

Model: FMS Sky Trainer 182 RC Airplane 5CH 1400mm (55.5") Wingspan at Blue with Flaps (I would have posted a links but I don't know the policy for this site and figured better safe than sorry)

Now this version is ready built (mostly) and does not have a receiver, radio, charger or battery. And I could use some advice where that is concerned as well, but I was looking at this:

Radio/Receiver: Spektrum DX8 Transmitter with AR8010T Receiver: 8-Channel 2.4GHz DSMX Air RC Radio (Gen 2 Mode 2) with AR8010T Telemetry Rx, SPM8015

Batt: E-flite 11.1V 2200mAh 3S 30C LiPo Battery

Charger: Tenergy TB6-B Balance Charger Discharger 1S-6S Digital Battery Pack Charger

I'm new to this so don't worry about hurting my feelings, any advice is appreciated.

Thx

Elecam

How are you doing? Tell us about your experience so far. Where can we help?

Old 07-04-2020, 01:51 PM
solentlife
Super Contributor

Hi ..

First - where are you ? Someone on here may be close by and can help ... or at least can identify a Club that could help you ...

As another says - a Sim may be a good way to start ... I have Clearview --- relatively cheap but its very good ... can use any RC radio as long as it has a plug in adaptor. I use a $10 USB Tx ... or my main programmable to Clearview

You are correct to go for a High Wing Trainer .... moderate large is good because they are more stable than the smaller stuff.

Once you start - the addiction will quickly generate !!