Beginners - Helis A forum where beginners can get help on the fundamentals for experts who know their stuff!

New Heli Max AXE EZ Coaxial Heli

Old 11-26-2006, 01:13 PM
flyitup

Default New Heli Max AXE EZ Coaxial Heli

I saw this new helicopter advertised on the Helimax home page -

http://www.helimax-rc.com/helis/hmxe05-index.html

Does anyone have any experience with this helicopter? Is it easy to fly? Is it well made and does it perform well?

If you don't have experience with this electric helicopter than do you have experience with any of the other Heli Max helicopters which might be an indication of the quality of their helicopters in general?

I thought it was really cool looking and I like the fact that I can customize it with a lot of different colors. Also it is less expensive than the Blade CX, so it will be easier for me to buy it, but at the same time I want to make sure I am buying a quality helicopter, so your feedack is appreciated.

Thank you for your help.

Flyitup
Old 11-27-2006, 12:53 PM
jermo

just from the pictures I prefer the contruction of the E-Flight Blade CX. I have no experience with this heli tho..but I'd also wonder if it has issues with tail drift due to heating up of the components. That would explain why the reciever isn't in a case. *shrug*..

I'd ask the following questions:
1. what is the end result? fun? fly heli? do you intend to get serious? what is your budget?

I'm on a tight budget, want to get semi serious into the hobby to ultimately just fly for fun. As a result of this decision I'm building a T-Rex (about a $700-800 Heli depending on parts) and using RADD's flight school (free) to keep crashes to a minimum. The smaller coaxial heli's will teach you the basics of orientation and control but are vastly different than flying a non-coaxial model heli.

If money wasn't an issue I'd suggest going to a T-Rex directly depending on your goals related to Heli's.
Jermo
Old 11-28-2006, 05:58 AM
flyitup

Jermo,

Thank you for your reply. Are you saying that the better helicopters have a case around their receivers? Does the Blade CX have a case around its receiver? Please let me know because if this is true then I will email Heli Max to see what they have to say about this.

Thank you.

flyitup
Old 11-28-2006, 06:29 AM
jermo

The Blade CX origional recieve is in a plastic case. Many remove the reciever from the case to cool it off to reduce the effect of heat on the piezo-electric gyro (which are heat sensitive). I've not seen or heard anything about the Blade CX2 (new version) other than the reciever is re-designed (and from what I can tell from the pictures it looks like the components that heat up may have been moved away from the gyro..just a guess tho). ..

Regardless every model has it's own issues. I suggest you define what you actually want to do long term then use that to make shorter term decisions.

My decision process was to have fun and do casual flying. I started with a Blade CX, became frustrated with the tail drift issue and wanted something more reliable. There are models that are slightly bigger than the BCX (Blade CP, CP Pro, Honeybee...etc) but I'm told they are actually harder to learn on than a T-Rex. So I'm investing my time/energy into a T-Rex 450 XL. The more I read about it the better it looks.

I'll still have my blade CX and I'll mod it to correct the drift issues (unless HH fixes it) so I'll have a little heli to play with.

Yes Better recievers have a case to protect the reciever circuitboard.
Jermo
Old 12-30-2006, 07:38 AM
fastie

Good thread - I have an Helimax AXE CP and already am dreaming of a Trex 450SA or Helimax 450xs. They seem to be better in quality, you get a quality radio ( you pick it), etc. I am learning with difficulty on the AXE CP so maybe a co-axial would have been a better first step. I think a lower quality CP helicopter is very tough to set-up correctly and fly - I am already starting to tweak mine and think that a small CP helicopter is actually a bad first step. One question I have is what is your set-up going to look like for the Trek - sounds like you did some researh?
Old 12-30-2006, 02:26 PM
Tinman
The Hot dog man

I have the Bade CX2, I haven't npticed n tail drift probelems and it has a little over two hours flight time. Nice little machine, a little pricey for something I will out grow though.
Old 01-01-2007, 03:06 AM
david212

Default not much to do with the subject, but just wondering

I was just wondering, could you get one of those rc cameras that weigh like 20 grams and stick it on this helicopter, and would it still fly good. Or is their a better coaxial helicopter that would better suit a wireless camera
Old 01-01-2007, 03:46 PM
Tinman
The Hot dog man

You might be able t get a wireless camera on the CX2, but it doesn't fly to well outside unless the wind is absolutely calm... I was flying mine outside the other day and got a little daring. I was flying about as high as the telephne poles and the wind was pushing it around prety good, I had ful forward stick and it was still drifting backwards a little.....
Old 01-03-2007, 05:43 PM
Tinman
The Hot dog man

Hey Flyitup,

Did you end up getting that little coaxial, i'm interested in how it flys...

Old 01-03-2007, 06:31 PM
david212

i orderd the blade cx2, it should arrive in a few days. i have a helicopter that is a coaxial on my simulator. it flys pretty good.
Old 01-03-2007, 06:33 PM
jermo

I've not seen the insides of the new 4in1 that comes with the CX2. It's possible they moved the hexfet away from the gyro.
Jermo
Old 01-03-2007, 06:42 PM
Tinman
The Hot dog man

You'l like the cx2 David, I fly mine twice a day! No problems at all.
Old 02-15-2007, 12:03 AM
Crash Pro #1
Heli nut

I think It's a lot like the CP Pro which is able to be upgraded with all kinds of cool parts like the blue aluminum bell Hiller head and swash plate landing skids like on the T-Rex and can be converted to a belt drive with another kit I don't think the CP axe offers that it's a little more but the parts are easy to get when you crash ( and you will ) happy flying
Old 02-18-2007, 06:14 PM
abinosa

Default Heli max Ez

I'm a begginner myself, but the RealFlight G3.5 will teach you flying if you have any plans to do real flying. I did the simulator for about 2 months straight - hours and hours every night after work and weekends.

I now able to hover my Hughes 500D that I had the bobby shop built for me. This is my first helicopter and first time to fly ever. I could have started small, but I felt comfortable enough after the simulator.
Old 02-23-2007, 06:43 PM
abinosa

Default accessories

I see a lot of these scale helis on photographs with the nice accessories like pilot figures. I can't seem to find pilot figures for helicopters. Does anyone know where I can find them?

Thanks,
ABinosa
Old 02-23-2007, 10:32 PM
Brutal E

Can not use a wireless camera on the CX or CX2. It is not the weight that is the issue. I powered mine from the onboard battery and it lifted the camera with no problem. Yet on both models the interference was terrible the CP it was crystal clear but on the CX and CX2 it was awful.
Old 02-24-2007, 03:23 PM
Tinman
The Hot dog man

I saw a video of a cx2 flying around with a camera, not sure where it was though. If I find it il let ya know
Old 02-25-2007, 02:04 PM
abinosa

Default helicopter pilot doll figures

Does anyone know where to get helicopter pilot doll figures. Can't seem to find them anywhere.

Thanks,
Old 02-27-2007, 04:00 PM
Crash Pro #1
Heli nut

why not try using little plastic figures you find in the toy section at Wall Mart ?? and paint them