Combat Electric combat discussion in here.

E-Combat Rules (just a guide)

Old 01-22-2008, 12:27 PM
smokejohnson
Super Contributor

Hi irone, are you guy's still going to meet at 10:00 on Sunday's at Hawk Field? I have been practicing with a buddy and I think I'm ready to play with the big dogs :p.

I'm using the P-47 with a "21" Tower Pro outrunner and 2s lipo. It looks like this puts me in the Top Gun class. How much of an advantage do the guys have with undercambered wings and wing slots? I do a little sanding and beveling but mine are pretty much stock. I have thought of putting something sticky on my leading edge. I have hit his streamer a few times and didn't get the cut. Click image for larger version

Name:	ready to go (Medium).JPG
Views:	305
Size:	58.2 KB
ID:	53030

Click image for larger version

Name:	DSCN1486 (Medium).JPG
Views:	302
Size:	61.3 KB
ID:	53031(I know I will need to bring planes with WWII markings.)

One last question. Do you know if Hawk Field will allow someone to fly in the e combat with a Park Pilot AMA card or do you need to have a full AMA membership?
Old 01-22-2008, 01:13 PM
Buzzsaw
Buzzsaw

Thanks for the input it's always good to hear from other true combaters.We are still flying the WWII planes and deltas. Last year we surpased 800 -5 minute rounds of combat. Now we are building some jets to try out a couple airwars units.I'll post our jet rules.Make sure you check out our site and join it cost nothing lots of photos and ideas.
Buzzy
Old 01-22-2008, 02:23 PM
smokejohnson
Super Contributor

Hi Buzz -- I have checked out your site and joined, lot of good info. If only I lived closer to Indiana, looks like you guys have a lot of fun.
Old 01-22-2008, 02:29 PM
Buzzsaw
Buzzsaw

Originally Posted by smokejohnson View Post
Hi Buzz -- I have checked out your site and joined, lot of good info. If only I lived closer to Indiana, looks like you guys have a lot of fun.
Thanks James I thought that you had joined our group last week. Feel free to post any time you know what we are doing just by reading our posts. It's never very quite on our site some one is always building something.
Buzzy
Old 01-22-2008, 02:31 PM
Buzzsaw
Buzzsaw

Default Jet Combat Rules

Electric Jet Combat Rules

Objective:
To recreate the excitement of combat using Fighter Jets in an enjoyable, safe competition that will be interesting for spectators and challenging for the contestants.

Overview:
Competing aircraft must fly within a pre-designated sky box. All jets must have a CSM Air Wars system installed on their plane. The Air Wars system will be plugged into one of your aileron servos. Triggered firing operations will be controlled by your landing gear switch.

Combat Aircraft Legal Specifications

Plane must meet the following rules:
Must have a CSM Air Wars system installed on plane
Any military jet will be allowed
Must be built using fan fold, (flat airfoil only)
A 20 inch or larger wing span. No limit on square inches
Plane must be a pusher prop. Engine may be located in the middle of the plane or on the tail.

No restrictions on the following:
Number of servos
Motor
Prop
Battery
Esc

Rules of Engagement

The CD will give the OK to start combat after last plane has been launched.
Rounds will last 4 minutes.
CD will stop combat at the end of 4 minutes.
Should any planes have a mid-air, any hits before the mid-air will count towards points at the end of the round.
Any pilot flying overhead or behind the pilots’ flying line will be instructed by the CD to land his plane at once and will sit that round out. All points accumulated during that round will be lost.
If someone signals that they are landing for some reason, you will not be able to engage on them.
The CD has the last word on all decisions.
Hard hats will be worn by all pilots on the flight line.
All aircraft will be inspected by the CD before flying.
In order for your hits to be counted, you must bring your plane with the battery pack plugged in to the CD for scoring purposes. If you unplug your battery pack, you will lose your points for that round.

DLW 1-11-08

Last edited by Buzzsaw; 03-25-2008 at 03:26 PM.
Old 01-22-2008, 08:49 PM
irone

Hi irone, are you guy's still going to meet at 10:00 on Sunday's at Hawk Field? I have been practicing with a buddy and I think I'm ready to play with the big dogs :p.

I'm using the P-47 with a "21" Tower Pro outrunner and 2s lipo. It looks like this puts me in the Top Gun class. How much of an advantage do the guys have with undercambered wings and wing slots? I do a little sanding and beveling but mine are pretty much stock. I have thought of putting something sticky on my leading edge. I have hit his streamer a few times and didn't get the cut. Attachment 53030

Attachment 53031(I know I will need to bring planes with WWII markings.)

One last question. Do you know if Hawk Field will allow someone to fly in the e combat with a Park Pilot AMA card or do you need to have a full AMA membership?
I think we are due some good weather for a change this weekend. You are invited to join us. Park Pilot ID is just fine. Your P-47 also is good to go. You meet our requirements being a warm body and all. You may cut a notch into the leading edge of your wings near the tips if you want. I myself like the undercamber arrangement. You can look over all the planes and soak up whatever you like for your next build.

Weather permitting we should be able to say,
=======================================
I love the smell of lipos in the mornings !
Old 01-22-2008, 11:49 PM
irone

Buzzsaw, I read your jet rules and would like to make a few suggestions:
First let me say that there are a set of sub-rules you should be aware of.
1. Planes should build out very quickly (less than 2hrs)
2. Planes should be inexpensive (under $25.00)
3. equipment should be as inexpensive as possible.(cheap, cheap & dirty)
There is such a thing as emotional attachment to RC planes. If one is emotionally attached to his plane, you can bet that he will never consider using it in combat. For the attachment to be overcome you must provide
1., 2., and 3 mentioned above.

If you allow slots in jet wings a sending unit becomes unnecessary. Slotted wings will make streamer cuts even better than a prop and cut down on mid-airs.

I would specify BP21 or BP12 motors so that there is not an arms race for a hotter motor and therefore upping costs. Besides they already have them on hand.

I would also specify 3S lipo packs and a 7060 prop for jet-like performance. A low cost spec that insures long battery and motor life.

Just a suggestion or two, it should really burn down to your group and what they decide is best.
Old 01-23-2008, 02:21 AM
smokejohnson
Super Contributor

I will definitely be taking you up on the invitation this year, heck I can't wait . I would like to have a couple of more lipo's and at least 2 airframes trimmed out and ready to cut some Texas streamer's :p. All joking aside I want to at least try to survive the full day :o.

Originally Posted by irone View Post
I think we are due some good weather for a change this weekend. You are invited to join us. Park Pilot ID is just fine. Your P-47 also is good to go. You meet our requirements being a warm body and all. You may cut a notch into the leading edge of your wings near the tips if you want. I myself like the undercamber arrangement. You can look over all the planes and soak up whatever you like for your next build.

Weather permitting we should be able to say,
=======================================
I love the smell of lipos in the mornings !
Old 01-23-2008, 05:39 AM
irone

I will definitely be taking you up on the invitation this year, heck I can't wait . I would like to have a couple of more lipo's and at least 2 airframes trimmed out and ready to cut some Texas streamer's :p. All joking aside I want to at least try to survive the full day :o.
We would be lucky to fly 5 sortes during the day as other club members fly there also, including slimers of all sorts. Usually we get in 3 to 4 sortes on any given Sunday. Usually one plane can easily make the entire day. We have field repairs down to a science. I have seen planes in 5 to 6 pieces make it back for the next round. We can thank hot glue and packing tape for thier recovery. They just get heavier with each repair. I just retired a Zero that I flew for months and was involved in no less than 20 mid-airs.
I usually take one or two combat planes, a 3D plane, a trainer, a jet and a WWI byplane to the field and fly all of them during the coarse of the day.
Old 01-24-2008, 03:31 AM
Bluebird

Hello IRONE! I'm in the same e-combat group as "Buzzsaw". First off I wanna commend you and Mark for the ingenious 'TopGun' foamies. I've modeled 4evr & never had so much FUN! Are U the brains of the Yardbird jets? I've built 'em both. Nicest kits anyone could ask for! I appreciate your input for our new AirWars Jet event. We are trying to develop another cheap & easy build combat event with this and are trying your suggested motors plus the $5.95 EMax 2840 kv motor from UH. WOW & LoongMax LiPos, cheapie auto ESC's, etc.. U r SO correct! Model 'love' & combat don't mix! I'm intrigued w/ ur undercamber wing idea. Got more details posted somewhere? Again, thanks for the great WW2 event!
Old 01-24-2008, 06:14 PM
irone

Originally Posted by Bluebird View Post
Hello IRONE! I'm in the same e-combat group as "Buzzsaw". First off I wanna commend you and Mark for the ingenious 'TopGun' foamies. I've modeled 4evr & never had so much FUN! Are U the brains of the Yardbird jets? I've built 'em both. Nicest kits anyone could ask for! I appreciate your input for our new AirWars Jet event. We are trying to develop another cheap & easy build combat event with this and are trying your suggested motors plus the $5.95 EMax 2840 kv motor from UH. WOW & LoongMax LiPos, cheapie auto ESC's, etc.. U r SO correct! Model 'love' & combat don't mix! I'm intrigued w/ ur undercamber wing idea. Got more details posted somewhere? Again, thanks for the great WW2 event!
I use the 2840Kv motor on my pocket Raptor.
I use a 5030 prop and 3cell lipo. GWS DD are to flimsy for use, you need to make your prop some other way.

My F18 uses a BP21 and a 7060 prop on 3s lipos.
And no I didn't have anything to do with the Yardbirds. However I do own the Mig. I consider it an OK plane. The F18 is about the same size but weighs much less.

Sorry, I don't have anything posted on the undercambered wing setup. Over the years these planes have gone through many stages of development and will continue to do so. The next step in the evolution will probably be the step down wing as seen on the F18. Lift plus a notch in one simple step. You may try that trick, I intend to.

Cause I
====================================
Love the smell of lipos in the mornings !
Attached Thumbnails Click image for larger version

Name:	IMG_0387.JPG
Views:	186
Size:	86.4 KB
ID:	53392   Click image for larger version

Name:	IMG_0390.JPG
Views:	198
Size:	98.5 KB
ID:	53393   Click image for larger version

Name:	IMG_0395.JPG
Views:	211
Size:	104.9 KB
ID:	53394   Click image for larger version

Name:	IMG_0396.JPG
Views:	202
Size:	91.0 KB
ID:	53395  
Old 11-22-2008, 02:33 AM
Buzzsaw
Buzzsaw

We have been flying a new event of combat called Fast & Furious the last couple of months.They fly faster than the WWII planes plus turn alot quicker and won't fall off on a knife edge turn.These are the rules we came up with.
Buzzy

Fast and Furious Streamer Combat Rules

Airplane Specs.
Motor- 2408-21 or a AX2308N 1800kv with a GWSDD9050 prop.
Battery-2cell-7.4 volt
Prop-any size as long as you can fly the 5 minute round
Motor must be mounted on front of airplane
Plane design, wing span, and cord- anything goes
Must be built from fan fold

Rules of Engagement

The CD will give the OK to start combat after last plane has been launched.

Rounds will last 5 minutes.

CD will call stop combat at the end of 5 minutes.

A 20 ft. streamer will be used, with a 6 in. contrasting color for cut purposes.

Any plane that gets its streamer cut, even if it has part of a streamer left, is considered killed and must land.

Any previous cut streamers hanging from a plane when cut will be
considered a kill. The plane must land.

Should any planes have a mid-air, any cuts before the midair will be counted.

You can only get 1 cut per plane. If you hit a plane that has 3 streamers on it and cut 2 of them it’s still counted as 1 cut.

Should a plane make a cut and be forced to land because the streamer was wrapped up in his prop, he shall be marked as completing the round and scored with a kill.

Any pilot flying overhead or behind the pilots’ flying line will be instructed by the CD to land his plane at once, and sit that round out.

If you crash or your streamer comes off on launch, you will have to sit that round out.

If you cut someone’s streamer on launch or before start combat signal is given, the parties involved must land and sit that round out.

If 2 planes cut each others streamers at the same time, each plane will be awarded a kill and must land immediately.

If someone signals they are landing for some reason, you will not be able to cut their streamer for safety reasons.

The CD has the last word on all decisions.

Hard hats will be worn by all pilots on the flight line.

All aircraft will be inspected by CD before flying.

Scoring: 10 points per cu

8-10-08 Revised dlw

Last edited by Buzzsaw; 04-24-2012 at 12:06 AM.