Aerodynamics Discuss the concepts of aerodynamics here

Aileron sensitivity

Old 10-26-2010, 07:39 PM
r4pt0r

Default Aileron sensitivity

Ive built a few planes now, all 4 channel(rud,ele,throttle, ail) and my ailerons are never good enough to do a complete roll, it only banks. my first planes used torque rods so i get that that wouldnt be effective, the rod was 2 ft long, but i used push/pull rods on my last and still no roll, i cant even get near a 90 bank. wht will make my ailerons more effective? i understand that highwing aircraft, or planes with lots of stability,either due to dihedral or a cg focused low in the plane, wont roll easy.
Old 10-26-2010, 08:40 PM
JetPlaneFlyer
Super Contributor

I think you might have identified a part of the problem.. planes with high degree of lateral stability (like with lots of dihedral) will tend to be a bit sluggish on ailerons.

Other factors that have a big influence are:
  • Flying speed... get plenty of speed up before you attempt a roll. All controls will be much more effective when you have good flying speed. At slow speed ailerons especially can become very sluggish and sometimes even cause the plane to yaw in the opposite direction to the actual control input. If you dont have much power dive to build up speed.
  • Are the ailerons large enough and do they have adequate movement? is the movement 'slop' free and without excessive friction/stiffness?

Last edited by JetPlaneFlyer; 10-26-2010 at 09:40 PM.
Old 10-26-2010, 08:42 PM
CHELLIE
Super Contributor

Originally Posted by r4pt0r View Post
Ive built a few planes now, all 4 channel(rud,ele,throttle, ail) and my ailerons are never good enough to do a complete roll, it only banks. my first planes used torque rods so i get that that wouldnt be effective, the rod was 2 ft long, but i used push/pull rods on my last and still no roll, i cant even get near a 90 bank. wht will make my ailerons more effective? i understand that highwing aircraft, or planes with lots of stability,either due to dihedral or a cg focused low in the plane, wont roll easy.
Make the ailerons nice and wide and long, and give yourself 45% of travel, up and down from level, then you wont have any problems making rolls, also air speed helps a lot too, so give yourself lots of power and speed, hope that helps, Chellie
Old 10-26-2010, 09:22 PM
Rodneh

Rudder input along with the ailerons often helps the roll rate, especially during the last half of the roll. And yes, any dihedral is a detriment for ease of doing a roll.
Old 11-01-2010, 12:58 AM
quorneng
Super Contributor

You don't actually need big ailerons to roll but you do have to have to maintain sufficient speed and use the rudder to counter the nose drop.
Provided you have enough speed & power a climbing roll is easier as you have time to complete the manoeuvre before the nose has dropped to far.
With a high wing, small ailerons and a heavy low set battery this can still roll, albeit rather slowly.
Click image for larger version

Name:	Complete.JPG
Views:	97
Size:	49.0 KB
ID:	138105
Keep trying.
Old 11-01-2010, 06:09 PM
Sparky Paul
Super Contributor

And down elevator as it goes around, to keep the nose up.