Combat Electric combat discussion in here.

I guess nobody flies combat anymore

Old 01-17-2015, 06:41 AM
solentlife
Super Contributor

Originally Posted by fhhuber View Post
The RPM max (with a specific propellor...) is a way to measure a power limit.

The rules defined a max displacement limit and people found out they could swap cylinders and pistons with a different engine thus having higher displacement with the smaller displacement label molded into the crankcase.

Power means speed and speed can be a large advantage in getting behind and then running straight up someone's streamer.

Very easy to do a tach test to catch this cheat.

Making the electric comply with the same rpm limit with the same prop is one of the best ways to make the two type power systems compete as evenly as possible.
Back in 70 .. 80's when I did Pylon racing in UK .... the engines used were specified. We had choice of Irvine 20 or Veco 19 in Club 20 .. and in Formula 40 ( a new class was still in its infancy and evolving ... most used Webra or Rossi, but engines were being tried to decide best ....). In the region I flew .. Southern area we had a rule that if another competitor had reason to believe you were 'cheating' you would swap engines !

No amount of rpm / prop / other reg's could force compliance - but swap engines does !! OK odd people did try it on - but very soon found out it was not worth it ...

Sadly Formula 40 at end of it's first year was proposed international died and was reborn as another class name ... with different rules ... by then I'd dropped out.

Nigel
Old 01-17-2015, 02:29 PM
dahawk
Super Contributor

There was a group at our club that got together on Mondays flew the chloroplast nitro plank jobs. A hoot to watch. They even wore hard hats.

Another group which I participated in got together on Sunday afternoons and flew dollar tree F-22's Last one in the air won. I'll post a vid later.

Nigel, did you hear Flight Test will be selling foam in Europe ? At half the cost of depron. Google Flight Test.

Hawk
Old 01-17-2015, 02:39 PM
AEAJR
Community Moderator

So, it seems there is combat where you snag the ribbon on the wing. I would think a flying wing/pusher motor would work well

And then there seems to be combat where you cut the ribbon with the prop. I guess pushers would not work well in that competition.
Old 01-17-2015, 03:46 PM
solentlife
Super Contributor

Originally Posted by dahawk View Post
There was a group at our club that got together on Mondays flew the chloroplast nitro plank jobs. A hoot to watch. They even wore hard hats.

Another group which I participated in got together on Sunday afternoons and flew dollar tree F-22's Last one in the air won. I'll post a vid later.

Nigel, did you hear Flight Test will be selling foam in Europe ? At half the cost of depron. Google Flight Test.

Hawk
No I didn't ... interesting .... would that be DT foam ? I'm just discussing a deal with a Depron trader ... We have a Depron factory in Latvia .. and that is TRUE Licenced Depron - not a copycat product. They just don't sell small qty's to modellers.

EDIT : Just looked on their site .. can't find any mentiion about foam to EU ...

Nigel
Old 01-17-2015, 04:21 PM
gramps2361
Community Moderator

Nigel that foam is in the works. I watched their video earlier, and it will be happening. Just not right away. http://youtu.be/SB905B4d6HI

Here is a video from one of the Gremlin contests in CT.
http://youtu.be/7JPm9xSGRAs?list=PLS...kXKpNYkoWcYdeU
Old 01-17-2015, 08:52 PM
dahawk
Super Contributor

Here you go Nigel:http://youtu.be/SB905B4d6HI

With the 'prop in the slot' F-22's, no worry about ribbons. Just close-in battle to the death. Amazing on how few hits there are with 6 planes in the air , all trying to hit each other.
Old 01-18-2015, 06:02 AM
pattern14
Super Contributor

Did direct strike combat for years, with my S&B EPP planes and scratchbuilds. It used to literally rain components with a really big hit!!! Tried twice with a stryker but it got literally smashed to pieces against the real thing. In the end, no-one was interested due to the attrition record against the more fragile foamies out there. It is much harder to hit another plane than you would think, and more often than not it was pure chance or unintended. The only rule was that whoever hit the ground last was the winner." Ratcatching" was great fun, as you pounced on your opponent as they glided in to land out of power I left the prop cutting streamer thing behind with glo engines, although mid air collisions were pretty frequent ( and expensive). Electrics and packing tape covered EPP were ( and still are) near indestructable
Old 01-27-2015, 10:32 AM
Ronald86

I love combat rc planes, Mig-21 and F-16 are my favorite.
Old 01-28-2015, 03:17 AM
gittarpikk
CrazyBall Designer and OT

Default Well, not combat but....

Plenty of carnage (mid airs)

just came home from the KCRC indoor at TAC Air at McGhee Tyson..

Small hanger for about 2 business jets...but everything was flying...lots of quads, micros, large floater..3D foamies...I had about 6-7 there..

.I was flying a design I called the HYCD to replace a crappy Hypertaxi airframe and was hovering about 6 inches from a large 3D bipe. Tried to make mine go some other direction than the 3d...but smacked it on the top wing.. he kept flying....and I went an picked mine up....and flew many more times

Some dude took a large 3D electric heli and simple torn the air apart...wow in such a small space
Old 01-28-2015, 04:53 AM
fhhuber
Super Contributor

Our local club has done 8 to 20 combat sessions a year for over 15 years...

This year the plan is to cut down to 5 so the guys who want to can go visit other clubs' combat events and not miss one of ours.

Its not dieing out at all.
Old 02-09-2015, 03:19 PM
Zip Tie 99

Default Electric Combat

We are having a little contest in our group to build electric combat planes. I need a good pusher motor. the wing and fuse weigh 6.6 oz. 34" wing by 8 3/4 wide 1/2 inch thick. Planing on a 3" or so prop.
Old 02-10-2015, 12:24 AM
gittarpikk
CrazyBall Designer and OT

Originally Posted by Zip Tie 99 View Post
Planing on a 3" or so prop.
Are you doing ducted fan??

3" is reeeeally small. I would vote 6 " and up
Old 02-10-2015, 12:55 AM
Zip Tie 99

I've been flying combat when I can for about 13 years. If it were not for combat I probably wouldn't be flying. The rush from head to head combat is great. Then add 5-8 more guys in the air at the same time its a A.D.D. dream. You dont know who to chase much less who is chasing you. 15 size mostly for me. Then go to Muncie for nationals is even better.
Old 02-10-2015, 03:22 AM
fhhuber
Super Contributor

34 inch span flying wing 6 inch prop minimum if not EDF. More likely 7 inch prop.

You are looking at a larger span but less wing area than the lighted deltas we use for the night show at the local airshow. We use Turnigy 2826/6 2200 kv with 6X4E APC in pusher configuration, 2000 mah 3S.
Probably the same power system would be a good choice.

Our deltas can handle the 2814/06 by Cheetah (from bphobbies.com and much bigger than the Turnigy motor) with 8X5E APC
(same battery, and pushing full throttle on both this has HALF the duration and 50% higher speed)
Old 02-14-2015, 12:51 PM
Dane McGee
Sho-Nuff Combat Pilot

Plenty of combat being flown and it grows every year. Electric combat is being flown in every corner of the country and new innovations are popping up all the time.

There is a very active group on Facebook called "RC Combat"
https://www.facebook.com/groups/792510900813072/

Also check out the forums on RCCombat.com for tons of info.
Old 02-16-2015, 04:09 PM
AEAJR
Community Moderator

I have never tried combat but it sounds like fun.
Old 02-16-2015, 04:49 PM
Dane McGee
Sho-Nuff Combat Pilot

Originally Posted by AEAJR View Post
I have never tried combat but it sounds like fun.

.........Most fun you can have with you clothes on!

Guys are building some neat foamboard birds with airfoils that perform great.

Tons of fun.