Aerodynamics Discuss the concepts of aerodynamics here

Question of Stability

Old 10-09-2006, 08:29 AM
stinkweed007
Super Contributor

Default Question of Stability

Ok, Been flying little helis for a while.. Then I broke out and bought a beginers electric fixed wing... lots of styrofoam and a plastic fuselage (picture attached) After working out some balast issues with the larger battery I bought for it, I was hooked... It has great glide properties but it seems to take 3 days before it gets off the ground. I tried pitching the main wing up a bit but then I got a roller coaster ride in the air.. pull up, stall, dive, pull up, stall... you understand...

Its controls are rudder, elevator and throttle. I have a 6ch remote installed in it but only using those 3 ch's.

Is there something I can do to the craft that will make it lift off quicker without making it stall so often?
Attached Thumbnails Click image for larger version

Name:	junior pro.jpg
Views:	128
Size:	14.0 KB
ID:	17880  
Old 10-09-2006, 10:52 AM
RUSH

Two possibilities: (1) make it lighter and (2) give it more power. Actually, you could also add in flaps, but that would make it heavier since you'd have to add a servo and linkage, so you might not gain so much. You mention using larger batteries: you can save some weight by using lighter batteries, which would help it lift off sooner. The duration wouldn't be as good, but it will fly more slowly (good for landings) and lift off more quickly.

What batteries do you have in it now? If they are NiMh or NiCd, you might be able to add lipos to save weight, but still maintain longer flight times.
Old 10-09-2006, 02:22 PM
midoco
slombat!

larger wheels would be an easy fix
Old 10-11-2006, 08:46 PM
Don E
Yup !

Did you have to add weight to counter ballance the bigger battery, or did you just move stuff around untill it ballanced? I'm with Rush on this. Two smaller/lighter batteries will usually fly much longer than one big one.( provided that the smaller cells are capible of flying the plane) The stall could be a combined result of center of gravity isssues and added weight.

However, you said "It has great glide properties". So if it flyes ok, and just doesn't lift off verry well, how about a hand launch. that'll get it in the air in a hurry

Something to think about.
Don