Foamies Talk about building, power setups and anything having to do with e-powered foamy planes!

"NASTY" The ultimate 3D trainer !!

Old 02-26-2008, 12:27 AM
smokejohnson
Super Contributor

Thanks Bob. I have no doubt that this will become one of my favorites.
Old 02-26-2008, 12:50 AM
pstrdenver

Smoke, she's a beaut! I think your flying field is just as beautiful!
Old 02-26-2008, 01:24 AM
smokejohnson
Super Contributor

Thanks pstrdenver. That was my first time flying at that particular field and it was pretty nice. Within 5 minutes of the house makes it even better .
Old 02-26-2008, 02:27 PM
aero_k

I have my Nasty built, I just have to mount the motor and hardware. I used the elmers foambard with the paper left on, with a CF spar in the wing and a dowel through the fuse. Yeah I know, this thing is probably gonna be a brick, but it was a learning experience.

I defenitely need some practice on the cuts. They certainly arent smoot. And its hard to sand smooth with the paper on. I did a pretty rough "paint job" using permanent markers. So, overall this thing is gonna be a jagged, heavy, ugly thing. But, hey, its called the nasty, right?

I post some pics when I get it done, hopefully tonight.
Old 02-26-2008, 10:16 PM
pstrdenver

Aero, I'm interested to hear how it flies. I too am starting to build with the paper on. I built one the other way and it just didn't last long at all do to my very steep learning curve.
Old 02-26-2008, 11:44 PM
smokejohnson
Super Contributor

FWIW I used Cellfoam 88 from my LHS. We'll see how it holds up.
Old 02-27-2008, 04:18 AM
BobbyDog
Crazy Canuck

Hmm, interesting... I've never heard of this Cellfoam stuff but from the picture it sure looks like Depron. Have you ever used Depron James? And if so is this Cellfoam the same? 5mm seems a little thin but hey if it works thats all thats important right?

I've got the new Charger RC plane 1/2 done, hopefully I'll get er done this week.

Happy flying everyone!

Bob
Old 02-27-2008, 11:03 AM
smokejohnson
Super Contributor

I've never actually used Depron so I'm not sure how it compares. The Cellfoam works great for me and I can pick it up at the LHS (Hobbytown USA). The Nasty is the second plane I've built from Cellfoam. The first plane held up just fine until I ran it through some power lines.:o Came out the other side like confetti.
Old 02-29-2008, 02:34 AM
aero_k

Alright, she's done, and she's nasty alright.

As my first build, its sketchy to say the least, but hopefully it'll fly (hopefully!) As you can see in the pics, I'm not much of an artist, nor am I patient enough to take my time and do a nice job. My next one will be prettier, I promise! I have the parts for an Infineon i3d bipe already cut out and ready for assembly, and you'll be glad to know I removed the paper from the foam board for that one. I'll have my girlfriend, who is a MUCH better artist than I, do the paint scheme.

My nasty weighs in at about 15 oz without a battery. With my loong max 3s, the AUW should be about 18 or 19 oz. I'm using a Tower Pro 4910-09 with an 1047 prop (its the biggest I have at the moment), which is supposed to give me 22oz thrust. I put my 2s pack on it as far forward as it could go and it was tail heavy. My Rx had to go where it is (under the wing) so that I didn't have to use servo extension. Hopefully the 3s will pull the nose down a little. I may still need some ballast in the nose though.

Now I just have to wait for the snow to go away, and the weather to warm up. So, I'll should be able to maiden in say....one or two months
Attached Thumbnails Click image for larger version

Name:	DSCF2583.jpg
Views:	135
Size:	97.4 KB
ID:	57782   Click image for larger version

Name:	DSCF2587.jpg
Views:	140
Size:	95.9 KB
ID:	57783   Click image for larger version

Name:	DSCF2588.jpg
Views:	124
Size:	62.7 KB
ID:	57784   Click image for larger version

Name:	DSCF2589.jpg
Views:	124
Size:	67.4 KB
ID:	57785   Click image for larger version

Name:	DSCF2592.jpg
Views:	127
Size:	139.8 KB
ID:	57786  

Last edited by aero_k; 02-29-2008 at 02:56 AM.
Old 02-29-2008, 03:21 AM
smokejohnson
Super Contributor

Looks good aero_k. I hope you see some good weather before a month or 2. I need to weigh mine and see where I am at.
Old 02-29-2008, 02:29 PM
pstrdenver

Aero, looks good man. Can't wait to hear how she flies. I'm in the same boat as you are. Elmers Board with paper on, 2409-12t tower-pro motor, 3s 1800 battery.

I haven't glued mine together yet so if you could melt your snow, fly today, and give us the report wether good or bad with paper on it I would greatly appreciate it.

I'm going to try with paper on fuse and wing but not rudder, stab, or control surfaces. See if that will help with the weight.
Old 02-29-2008, 02:45 PM
celticflyer

Default Foamboard Nasty

I used foamboard 1/4" for the wings and 1/2 " fus. Imbeded carbon fiber tubing full length of fus. and of course taped on cf tubing on wing. I used a 2409-18T and a 10" prop. Fly weight just under 20 oz. and with 29lb. of thrust it really flys well

Name:	NASTY.jpg
Views:	91
Size:	11.3 KB
ID:	57841  
Old 02-29-2008, 04:27 PM
aero_k

Originally Posted by pstrdenver View Post
Aero, looks good man. Can't wait to hear how she flies. I'm in the same boat as you are. Elmers Board with paper on, 2409-12t tower-pro motor, 3s 1800 battery.

I haven't glued mine together yet so if you could melt your snow, fly today, and give us the report wether good or bad with paper on it I would greatly appreciate it.

I'm going to try with paper on fuse and wing but not rudder, stab, or control surfaces. See if that will help with the weight.
I better get out the extension cord and the blowdryer then....

Taking the paper off the tail sufaces should be fine. I think you stripped off all the paper, and replaced it with packing tape, it would be almost as strong and half the weight.

In hind-sight, I wish I had bought a more powerful motor, but I should be okay. I just need a bit bigger prop.
Old 02-29-2008, 08:22 PM
pstrdenver

Originally Posted by celticflyer View Post
I used foamboard 1/4" for the wings and 1/2 " fus. Imbeded carbon fiber tubing full length of fus. and of course taped on cf tubing on wing. I used a 2409-18T and a 10" prop. Fly weight just under 20 oz. and with 29lb. of thrust it really flys well

The real question though is Could it be used as a 3D trainer?
Old 02-29-2008, 08:26 PM
pstrdenver

This will be my third Nasty. The first was Elmers board with no paper and too small CF rod in wings. The wings just folded in flight. The second one was made from 1/2 inch Blu Cor Insulation. It flew at about 17 oz but I didn't have a good CG and it crashed and broke beyond repair after two attempts to adjust the CG. I really hope this attempt works. I just built a f-22 and had success with it so it made me think another try on the Nasty was due.

Wish me the best!
Old 02-29-2008, 11:49 PM
smokejohnson
Super Contributor

Here wishing you the best pstrdenver. The entire bottom half of my fuze is wrapped in packing tape. I am slowly but surely becoming a firm believer in packing tape.
Old 03-01-2008, 02:57 AM
pstrdenver

well, she's done finished. just waiting for a power plant and servos. Have no idea how much it weighs but am very proud of the workmanship. Every joint and cut is perfect!

Name:	100_0517.jpg
Views:	116
Size:	59.6 KB
ID:	57908   Click image for larger version

Name:	100_0516.jpg
Views:	135
Size:	60.0 KB
ID:	57909  
Old 03-01-2008, 03:03 AM
aero_k

Looks great p.d. I wish I could say that every joint and cut is perfect on mine, but it certainly is not. Practice makes perfect I guess. I like the colours, but you may have some problems distinguishing the top and bottom in flight since they are identical. Overall, looks great.
Old 03-01-2008, 03:06 AM
pstrdenver

oops, the pics are just of the top. didn't even think to post pics of the bottom. It is yellow on bottom. My foam board was yellow on one side and blue on the other.
Old 03-01-2008, 03:12 AM
pstrdenver

Originally Posted by pstrdenver View Post

As you can see from my previous post with pics, i did not remove the paper off of the tail sectiona nd control surfaces. Got over anxious.

I actually forgot and started gluing the stab and elevator before I realized what I was doing.
Old 03-01-2008, 03:28 AM
aero_k

well in that case, you're all set! Hopefully the paper isn't too big of a deal. IF you have enough thrust form your motor, it shouldn't be a problem.

I got worried today when I was testing out the motor on mine and I would throttle up and it would just stay at one speed, and not fast at that. Turns out I accidentally re-programmed my ESC. Its all fixed now though.
Old 03-01-2008, 06:31 AM
BobbyDog
Crazy Canuck

Nice work guys! Sorry to hear that you guys have still got snow Aero K All of ours melted into the ground about two weeks ago. I was out fertilizing the landing strip this morning in my T-shirt lol. Sorry had to rub it in!

Anyway, good luck with the maiden flights. Please keep us posted with the results..

Bob
Old 03-01-2008, 04:21 PM
aero_k

Yeah, thanks for that. We got another 5 cm overnight and should get another 1 or 2 during the day. Then next week we are forecasted to get 40-50cm!

I sure hope thats a mistake. Gonna be a long winter. I wish I had somewhere to fly indoors close by.
Old 03-25-2008, 04:35 PM
aero_k

Question Throws?

Hello again

Well, despite the 2ft of snow still trying to melt, the weather is warming up and its time to get ready for some flying. The NASTY will be my first attempt at a 3D plane, but I'm going to take it slow, as it will start off as more of an "aileron trainer" than anything.

Can someone suggest the amount of throw I should have on my control surfaces, i.e. in degrees or inches (or cm) of deflection? I don't want to set them too low and not have enough control, but not too high so that I can't control it. I'd like to know what the throws should be for getting started as well as what they should be for doing 3D flying (for future reference)?

Is there any other programming I should do to make it fly better (i.e. mixing, etc)?
Old 03-25-2008, 07:12 PM
pstrdenver

Originally Posted by aero_k View Post
Hello again

Well, despite the 2ft of snow still trying to melt, the weather is warming up and its time to get ready for some flying. The NASTY will be my first attempt at a 3D plane, but I'm going to take it slow, as it will start off as more of an "aileron trainer" than anything.

Can someone suggest the amount of throw I should have on my control surfaces, i.e. in degrees or inches (or cm) of deflection? I don't want to set them too low and not have enough control, but not too high so that I can't control it. I'd like to know what the throws should be for getting started as well as what they should be for doing 3D flying (for future reference)?

Is there any other programming I should do to make it fly better (i.e. mixing, etc)?

If it were me I would set the throws to their lowest settings until you work out the COG and get used to how she flys. With those barn doors for control surfaces you'll still have plenty of control.

Quick Reply: "NASTY" The ultimate 3D trainer !!

Contact Us Archive Advertising Cookie Policy Privacy Statement Terms of Service

Copyright 2018 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.

Page generated in 0.13770 seconds with 21 queries