Foamies Talk about building, power setups and anything having to do with e-powered foamy planes!

Parkzone Extra 300 Upside Down Wings *HORIZON LEAVES US IN THE COLD*

Old 01-19-2011, 10:29 PM
JetPlaneFlyer
Super Contributor

Originally Posted by feliperc View Post
It wasn't doing that before I fliped the wings over. Should I trim just the elevator or the ailerons as well??
Thank you so much for your time,

Felipe
I'd say just a little down elevator trim should do it, you shouldn't need to do anything to the ailerons.
Old 02-10-2011, 03:22 PM
ziltoid

Originally Posted by jaskel View Post
I wouldnt say you made a mistake..it is still a great plane and I am sure HH will fix the issue! it will take time as it is on a massive scale..but im confident it will be fixed.
Agreed, mine flies great as-is (never flipped the wings). It's pretty heavy for a foam plane which is either a good or bad thing depending on what you're trying to do with it... For sport flying on a windy day it's superb, 3D not so much.

Personally, I think HH should not only issue corrected airfoils but also increase the wing area while they're at it. I'm sure it would ease the financial pain of a wing exchange if by doing so you created the best flying 3D bnf on the market.
Old 02-24-2011, 06:59 AM
growingupisoptional

Well not a fan. Lots of money for something that should fly a lot better.
Oh well live and learn, don't be a Beta tester for this company.
[media]http://vimeo.com/20280164[/media]
Old 02-24-2011, 07:37 AM
mclarkson
Super Contributor

Oh my!
Old 02-24-2011, 10:06 AM
Rockin Robbins
Super Contributor

I think Parkzone is forgetting that you can never count money not spent or income not realized. They foolishly think that their only possible cost in this is the cost of sending out some wings. This plane is a dead product and either they need to fix it and their reputation or discontinue the product altogether and just live with all the bad will they've generated. Because a lesson expensively learned by customers is not soon forgotten.

If they take the second "solution" there will continue to be huge costs they can't count, the business they don't have but could have had they conducted themselves honestly. For every angry post there are a hundred people buying elsewhere. Parkzone has rightly earned their reward, as now every new product will meet a market resistance that they will just blindly refuse to understand in their arrogance. Legitimate profit comes from meeting customers' needs. When you forget that the profits go away.
Old 08-20-2011, 02:21 AM
wolfewinde

So, I just bought one of these, knowing about the wing issue but still hearing a lot of people liking the way she flies. Seems like a lot of plane for 149 even with the imperfections.

My only question is - should I flip the wings right off, or leave them alone?

Wolfe
Old 08-20-2011, 02:23 AM
simibill
General Factotum

Originally Posted by wolfewinde View Post
So, I just bought one of these, knowing about the wing issue but still hearing a lot of people liking the way she flies. Seems like a lot of plane for 149 even with the imperfections.

My only question is - should I flip the wings right off, or leave them alone?

Wolfe
IMHO - Leave them alone..
Old 08-20-2011, 03:16 AM
Turner
Super Contributor

So, have they never fixed this production problem?
Old 08-20-2011, 04:11 AM
xmech2k
Ya got any Beeman's?

I was just browsing and saw some info regarding these problems at the PZ site:

http://www.parkzone.com/Products/Def...ProdID=PKZ5180

Go down and look in the support tab.

I just realized a guy at the field has one of these, and he flies it quite a bit, and I don't hear him complaining about it. I'll ask him. All my planes have been scale, and I'd like a stunt flyer to try my thumbs at it. This one's scale, too, but aerobatic scale. At least more aerobatic than my other planes.
Old 08-20-2011, 04:49 AM
jap71173
BigWatts.shutterfly.com

I'm curious as to if this is the reason why shipments from Horizon have been delayed lately... maybe they are tightening up their quality checks before shipping products out... My LHS has been getting all of there orders about 1-2 weeks later than normal... and i ordered a plane and it's still not here after 4 weeks!!! what’s going on over there?
Old 08-20-2011, 07:01 AM
Wildflyer
Past President of PSSF

I think some of these planes got more deformed than others, so the extreme case that some have may not exist for other people.

People I know that fly these planes, seem to find no real difference the flying, with wings either way. They seem to believe the warp is only at the wing tip.

One guy warped his to a flat bottom airfoil at the tip with some clear shipping tape, said he didn't notice much improvement, but it made him feel better,
Old 08-20-2011, 06:32 PM
wolfewinde

Well I just finished the build on mine. Wings don't look to bad on mine so I did not flip them. Glad I bought this so far - looks like a lot of plane for the new reduced price of 149. I just want an aerobat anyway - no interest in 3D. Something that will handle a bit more wind than the GP Rx-R and be just a bit more responsive.

Going with 3" wheels, a 12x6APC prop - stock esc. Am thinking I will start out with 60% throws and 35& expo across the board and a little differential - that sound about right to you guys?

Wolfe

Last edited by wolfewinde; 08-20-2011 at 08:14 PM.
Old 08-20-2011, 08:51 PM
xmech2k
Ya got any Beeman's?

So I talked to the guy at the field this morning who has one of these, and he's had no problems with it. Saw the upside-down airfoil everyone's talking about. He said he love's it.
Old 08-21-2011, 03:26 PM
wolfewinde

Got this one in the air this morning. Had a friend of mine take her up first - he is a much better pilot than I am and this is his kind of airplane. He brought her right back down - way too tame for him the way she was set up.

We ended up moving the CG back, adjusting all of the push rod placements to near "max throw", and setting the rates all to 100% with 45% expo and no differential. He took her back up for another quick flight and liked the way she flew, so he brought her back down for my turn.

She was a little touchy for me set up that way, but I got her around for about 3 minutes with out too much trouble. The roles are crisp - doesn't seem to try to drop the nose much. Loops were good. She does drop a wing when she stalls. She does slow down pretty well before that happens, though. Saw her start to snap roll once when I gave her a lot of sudden up elevator at about 1/2 throttle, but i was ready for that, so not a big deal. She cruised nicely at just above 1/2 throttle.

Landing went well. Brought her in a little hot and them just bled off speed a couple feet off the grass until she settled in. Not much bounce.

It will take me a little time to get comfortable with this one - She is a bit more airplane than I usually fly, but within my skill range it seems. I am going to back the rates down to 90% for the next flight with 40% expo and 5% differential and see how that feels. I am set up for dual ailerons - did not use the "Y" harness.

Only flew one battery - wind came up pretty strong.

I think I will be okay if I ease into this one. She is certainly more agile that my GP Super Sportster RX-R, but that was what I wanted. So I am pretty happy with the plane at this point, especially at the reduce price.

Wolfe

Last edited by wolfewinde; 08-21-2011 at 03:44 PM.
Old 08-21-2011, 03:44 PM
JetPlaneFlyer
Super Contributor

Wolfe,

Sounds like you will have lots of fun.. The price that the Extra has been discounted to recently it looks like very good value, upside down airfoil or no.
Old 08-21-2011, 07:26 PM
rcers
Super Contributor

Originally Posted by wolfewinde View Post
Got this one in the air this morning. Had a friend of mine take her up first - he is a much better pilot than I am and this is his kind of airplane. He brought her right back down - way too tame for him the way she was set up.

We ended up moving the CG back, adjusting all of the push rod placements to near "max throw", and setting the rates all to 100% with 45% expo and no differential. He took her back up for another quick flight and liked the way she flew, so he brought her back down for my turn.

She was a little touchy for me set up that way, but I got her around for about 3 minutes with out too much trouble. The roles are crisp - doesn't seem to try to drop the nose much. Loops were good. She does drop a wing when she stalls. She does slow down pretty well before that happens, though. Saw her start to snap roll once when I gave her a lot of sudden up elevator at about 1/2 throttle, but i was ready for that, so not a big deal. She cruised nicely at just above 1/2 throttle.

Landing went well. Brought her in a little hot and them just bled off speed a couple feet off the grass until she settled in. Not much bounce.

It will take me a little time to get comfortable with this one - She is a bit more airplane than I usually fly, but within my skill range it seems. I am going to back the rates down to 90% for the next flight with 40% expo and 5% differential and see how that feels. I am set up for dual ailerons - did not use the "Y" harness.

Only flew one battery - wind came up pretty strong.

I think I will be okay if I ease into this one. She is certainly more agile that my GP Super Sportster RX-R, but that was what I wanted. So I am pretty happy with the plane at this point, especially at the reduce price.

Wolfe
Well then shame on your test pilot. You set it up for YOU not him. It is OK for him to say that is not they way he would fly it or set it up but if is too touchy for you - he as done you no favors. How odd of him to do that!

So dial back the throws and set it up for YOU not your test pilot. I would recommend finding a new test pilot by the way.

Mike
Old 08-21-2011, 09:27 PM
wolfewinde

Well there is some truth in that RCERS. But I have flown with him for a long time, and I think he felt I could handle it OK, and I did.

I just always like to have a "cruise set up" on my more aerobatic planes for when I want to just kick back and fly them more relaxed. i usually start with that and set a plane up close to 65/85 and 35% expo on the rates. then move to 85/100 as I learn the plane better.

We basically skipped that part today and went right to the "lets get her near the edge" set -up LOL. But I think the 45% expo tamed her back just enough for me at 100% on the rates to keep me out of any real trouble.

PLUS - I also knew I had a trimmed out plane when I put her up, so i thought the trade off was probably worth it.

I will back her down some before I fly her again, just to be safe, though.

Jetflyer - Yeah, I think this plane is a steal at the price it is now - it certainly flies well enough as it is

Wolfe
Old 08-25-2011, 11:51 PM
wolfewinde

Cut the rates down to 90% and expo to 40% and flew her again - better this time - more what I am used to - she flies well - glad I bought this one. Need to cut the elevator down more. It is fine as it if you are gentle, but she snaps at full elevator - don't want that to happen in a panic situation.

Wolfe
Old 08-26-2011, 12:32 AM
mclarkson
Super Contributor

If I didn't fly out of a lumpy farm field full of tall grass, I'd definitely buy one of these. The price is pretty irresistible but I don't see how I can land with that gear.
Old 08-30-2011, 05:33 PM
MaddSkillz

Hey! Where can I buy one for that price?! That's a pretty freaking good deal!

I guess I should check with my LBS, huh?

Ahh man, the LBS says it's $249! Ugh.
Old 08-30-2011, 06:38 PM
reef_rc

Originally Posted by MaddSkillz View Post
Hey! Where can I buy one for that price?! That's a pretty freaking good deal!

I guess I should check with my LBS, huh?

Ahh man, the LBS says it's $249! Ugh.
MaddSkillz - $149 is for PNP. BNF still runs 230 - 250 based on recent search. Amazon has it for $230 (includes free shipping). Also has PNP for $149 sold by Horizon Hobby for $149 (free shipping). If you're a prime amazon customer, shipping should be free; not sure about non-prime customer.
Old 08-30-2011, 07:17 PM
MaddSkillz

Ahh, okay! Thanks!
Old 08-30-2011, 07:50 PM
MaddSkillz

Is the PNP the cheaper way to go? What receiver would I need? I've got a x9303 Transmitter. What battery pack?

Just trying to figure out which is the cheaper way to go. The PNP or the BNF.

Thanks!
Old 08-30-2011, 08:34 PM
reef_rc

PNP - Yes - in general assuming you already have some components like the transmitter. I am assuming x9303 is a JR model and is compatiable with Spektrum. If that is so you can just get Spektrum AR500 receiver that come standard with the PZ Extra 300 BNF version or something comparable or higher in terms of channels. I believe I have AR8000 on my PZ Extra 300 which is an overkill but that's what I had available. I typically buy higher channel receives when they're on sales and in case there's a need to take one out for another model which requires a higher channels.

As for batteries - You might consider Hobbyking.com to save you money. Here's the battery I used on most of my PZ which requires 3S 1800/2200 mAh.
http://www.hobbyking.com/hobbyking/s...dProduct=14962

However you need to consider whether or not you need the change out the battery plugs for something different. Most PZ models I've experienced come with EC3 plugs. PZ Extra 300 is no different. Here you'll need a little soldering skills and some EC3 plugs. You can buy the plugs on Hobbyking but in most cases it'll ship from overseas so it'll take forever to arrive and with higher shipping cost. My suggestions is to buy EC3 plugs from eBay in large quantities so you at least recoup some shipping costs (i.e. 3-5 bags of 6-12). Even when you add all the costs of batteries and EC3 plugs, you'll likely save 1/2 versus buying them through other methods. Keep in mind however the batteries from Hobbyking may be a little bigger and slightly heavier, but that should not vary by much from what PZ or others produce.

HTH
Old 08-30-2011, 08:40 PM
MaddSkillz

Okay. Thanks very much! Yes, the x9303 is a DSM2/JR transmitter. I really like it too!

I'm just getting back into the hobby so I have some catching up to do. Things have changed so much in 5 or 6 years! I've got one of those Parkzone Polecats I've been flying around without problem and want more power and speed!

Quick Reply: Parkzone Extra 300 Upside Down Wings *HORIZON LEAVES US IN THE COLD*

Contact Us Archive Advertising Cookie Policy Privacy Statement Terms of Service

Copyright © 2018 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.

Page generated in 0.15600 seconds with 13 queries