Combat Electric combat discussion in here.

I guess nobody flies combat anymore

Old 01-16-2015, 05:08 PM
AEAJR
Community Moderator

Cool I guess nobody flies combat anymore

No posts in here since November. Nobody flies combat anymore?

Personally I have never tried it so don't know much about it.
Old 01-16-2015, 05:13 PM
Fishbonez
Love my Stinger

I enjoyed it but found I grew tired of fixing the plans after it was all over. Streamer combat seems fun but never could find anyone in the area who wanted to go that route. Come spring/summer may give it a go again
Old 01-16-2015, 05:43 PM
solentlife
Super Contributor

We have a guy who is trying to get others interested ... I was interested but was at a time before I met him.

Trouble is now - I don't have any model I'm willing to sacrifice in it ... but ummin anf arrin about maybe a quickie Depron job to do it ... this coming season.

It would be hard to dog-fight this guy though ... he's using a slim pocket rocket job ... literally a pylon racer on steroids !!

Nigel
Old 01-16-2015, 05:45 PM
pizzano
Behold The Renaissance

We still do occasionally......weather and getting all of us together have been the main reasons only occasionally.

It's a bit modified.......4 of us use Slow Sticks, attach 3' ribbons (no more, no less).........the goal is to attack the ribbons......disqualified if plane to plane contact is made......but it still happens....lol.......that's the nice thing about Sticks, easy, quick and cheap to fix.

I've got some old vid's around here someplace.....I'll post if I can dig them up.
Old 01-16-2015, 05:49 PM
AEAJR
Community Moderator

OK, so I have never flown combat.

Are there rules and scoring and such associated with this? I mean the ribbon type, not the plane to plane contact type.

Someone educate me.
Old 01-16-2015, 06:08 PM
pizzano
Behold The Renaissance

In our case, it's purely recreation. Rules established from a club two of us used to belong to.

The goal is to pull off the ribbon, which is attached, by a small strip of velcro, to the rear tail portion of the stick and end of ribbon.

The key is to use your wings to gather the ribbon.....it's more difficult than it seems. Often the prop gets involved, not good.

We allow strips of the spikey velcro to be attached to the leading edge of the wings........(only the leading edge) to make contact with the ribbon. It works pretty good if the velcro stays attached to the wing....lol

If ones ribbon is taken, he's out of play.......obviously, the last man standing or with the most ribbons collected is the winner..........there's two types of approach we take. Either set the Stick up to be fast, agile and less flight time.....or slower, with good climb rate and longer flight times.

Most of the time, we all run out of flight (battery) time. The best any of us have done over that past year, is collect two ribbons when 4 or more are in the mix..........the guy with the "best" crash gets a hardy pat on the back......

I should add.......If the prop has gathered the ribbon and the pilot can save the Stick from a CRASH........it counts as a collection. Also, the ribbons collected do not need to remain attached to the plane. We have a spotter keeping count. Also, if one must come down (land or crash) during competition, that Stick is out of play until the next round.
Old 01-16-2015, 06:14 PM
carpetbagger

AMA has CL combat rules, haven't checked for RC combat, but their is a special interest group with website.

http://www.rccombat.com/
Old 01-16-2015, 06:24 PM
solentlife
Super Contributor

When I did it years ago ... with GLOW engines !!

It was long crepe paper streamers ... basically we bought christmas decoration stuff and then cut lengths from it. Usually about 10 - 12ft. We attached to tail and set the lengths EQUAL for all combatants that day.

We were not looking to 'pull off' any streamer - we were looking to 'prop cut' the streamer ... with winner either being one still with streamer left or at set time one with longest streamer ..

Rules ? As agreed by contestants that day.

Funny thing is - I cannot remember a mid-air in this ! It was far harder than one first imagines ... and I found it harder if the models were significantly different size or style. Maybe the perspective part ... bigger model vs smaller ?

The best contests were the close in moderate height jobs ... intense tight loops twists turns etc.

But there was one aspect you HAD to take care of ... that streamer COULD break if you were too fast and too hard in manouevres ... lose it and your OUT ! So flying had to be with care as well - adding to the difficulty.

If I was to do it today ? I think a flying wing would be my choice.

Nigel
Old 01-16-2015, 06:37 PM
pizzano
Behold The Renaissance

Yaa.....we tried the paper streamers and cut........with it being breezy most of the time and lack of HP our Sticks have, it became more of a "who could stay in the air the longest with a streamer wrapped around our props"......lol

We use the type of ribbons girls tie their hair up with..........very light, colorful, but heavy enough to get drag in a breeze.......and still be used several times (even after a prop hit)......it's the prop that suffers, but we all use prop savers.........not mandatory, but it saves major motor shaft problems later........

EDIT:

Taking paper cutting out of the equation and using the wings to pull the ribbons off is very challenging.......and enjoyable with slow flying Sticks that have enough prop to hover and bank quickly........

Last edited by pizzano; 01-16-2015 at 08:01 PM.
Old 01-16-2015, 07:39 PM
fhhuber
Super Contributor

You have to adjust the streamer size to the size motor so you have a chance of cutting it.

standard appx 1.75 to 2.00 inch inch wide crepe paper can be cut by something equal to a .15 glow with little trouble. Less power or a slow turning prop and you need a weaker streamer.

If you're running a slow fly prop you probably aren't turning fast rpm enough for cutting streamers unless you are approaching the prop's safe rpm limit. (and thus risking overstressing the hub when you cut the standard ribbon used for glow combat)

Glow combat standardized on 3/4 inch wide crepe paper (appx half width of a standard party streamer) after finding that full width tends to add too much drag. (some that don't use the AMA/RCCA combat rules still use full width)

Experiments with a lot of other streamer materials tend to find they are either too tough or they break just from getting towed at speed. Slower electric combat models could probably use some that glow combat fliers have rejected.

Usig a ribon that makes the person who manages to get their prop into it lose their prop is making the winner suffer... exactly the opposite of desired result.
Old 01-16-2015, 08:36 PM
crxmanpat
Community Moderator

A week from tomorrow we will be doing Slow Stick combat at the Arizona Electric Festival. It is streamer combat, but of course there is always some contact.

Hopefully someone will get good video and I'll post it up here.
Old 01-16-2015, 09:13 PM
AEAJR
Community Moderator

Cool

Originally Posted by fhhuber View Post
You have to adjust the streamer size to the size motor so you have a chance of cutting it.

standard appx 1.75 to 2.00 inch inch wide crepe paper can be cut by something equal to a .15 glow with little trouble. Less power or a slow turning prop and you need a weaker streamer.

If you're running a slow fly prop you probably aren't turning fast rpm enough for cutting streamers unless you are approaching the prop's safe rpm limit. (and thus risking overstressing the hub when you cut the standard ribbon used for glow combat)

Glow combat standardized on 3/4 inch wide crepe paper (appx half width of a standard party streamer) after finding that full width tends to add too much drag. (some that don't use the AMA/RCCA combat rules still use full width)

Experiments with a lot of other streamer materials tend to find they are either too tough or they break just from getting towed at speed. Slower electric combat models could probably use some that glow combat fliers have rejected.

Usig a ribon that makes the person who manages to get their prop into it lose their prop is making the winner suffer... exactly the opposite of desired result.
This is fascinating stuff.

If I got into this it would be with electric motors. Ihave no interest in glow.
Old 01-16-2015, 09:21 PM
fhhuber
Super Contributor

If you start out with an e-power model with a prop spinning approx the same rpm as the glow... then the streamers used for glow will be fine. If you turn half the RPM you are probably looking at having issues cutting that crepe streamer with the prop.

A majority of cuts are actually made with the wing though...
Old 01-16-2015, 09:59 PM
gramps2361
Community Moderator

We fly the Gremlin combat with 20 foot streamer attached to a cotton thread. Flight is 4 fast minutes two pilots at a time.
You get points for a cut and then there is points for spot landing. A frisbe is set on the middle of the field. I fly my Gremlin electric with a 25 eflite motor and 3c 3300 mah battery 11x7 prop. Lots of fun, but it is tough to cut the other guys ribbons.
Old 01-16-2015, 10:34 PM
fhhuber
Super Contributor

:p 2 in the air at a time is just a pylon race... Gotta have 4+ for it to be really interesting.
Old 01-16-2015, 11:15 PM
carpetbagger

RPM seems rather important for streamer cut competition. Most of the RC combat events (classes) limit RPM to 14,500, and electrics must be tuned to not exceed the RPM max as well.
Old 01-16-2015, 11:38 PM
gramps2361
Community Moderator

Originally Posted by fhhuber View Post
:p 2 in the air at a time is just a pylon race... Gotta have 4+ for it to be really interesting.
4 Gremlins would be insane, but interesting.

Carpetbagger I can only fly with a 3c batterry in combat. With a 4c and a 10x10 prop she really moves out. We are doing close to 70 MPH with a 4 lb wing trying to turn in on each other. Doesn't take much to cut Crepe paper, or have a midair which are quite spectacular.
Old 01-16-2015, 11:41 PM
fhhuber
Super Contributor

The RPM max (with a specific propellor...) is a way to measure a power limit.

The rules defined a max displacement limit and people found out they could swap cylinders and pistons with a different engine thus having higher displacement with the smaller displacement label molded into the crankcase.

Power means speed and speed can be a large advantage in getting behind and then running straight up someone's streamer.

Very easy to do a tach test to catch this cheat.

Making the electric comply with the same rpm limit with the same prop is one of the best ways to make the two type power systems compete as evenly as possible.
Old 01-17-2015, 12:33 AM
Stevephoon
Super Contributor

We still do it occasionally, not enough. I gave away the components required to build a plane at our club Christmas party to drum up some more interest for this coming season.

We fly the Fast and Furious planes for streamer combat. We actually are no longer very picky on what plane is used... If you want to throw something up with a streamer, go for it... But, in general small home built foamies with 1000mAh 2S batteries. Buy the cheapest Cray Paper you can find and cut it in half. Works great just blue taped to the plane.

http://www.wattflyer.com/forums/showthread.php?t=47556

It's a riot. We have our club meetings at the field in the summer and we will at least fight then. We used to have a standing time (Every Tue) but the interest is down... I miss it! It's getting hard to find the original motor, but there are others available that are close enough.

Steve
Attached Thumbnails Click image for larger version

Name:	DSCN1690.JPG
Views:	182
Size:	460.4 KB
ID:	179205  
Old 01-17-2015, 02:24 AM
gittarpikk
CrazyBall Designer and OT

Default Dead...nope!...gettin better ...yep

I know a club nearby (KCRC) has Slow Stick combat every Sunday morning...although I have not been there..

But occasionally ay VAM Knoxville we do electric combat flying Corvos...
and get in some really tight furballs ....and yes we midair...sometimes several times a day but the Corvos are light and tough enough to take most of the abuse and still fly..

but I'm concentrating on a new design of mine and FPV combat plane that should be able to take them all on in FPV ...with the others flying LOS and win.

also should give the racing 250 quads a run for their money through the trees
Attached Thumbnails Click image for larger version

Name:	corvo2.jpg
Views:	146
Size:	264.5 KB
ID:	179219   Click image for larger version

Name:	racing-combat critter.png
Views:	137
Size:	2.5 KB
ID:	179220  
Old 01-17-2015, 02:49 AM
carpetbagger

fhhuber- yep, faking out engine inspectors is an old trick. Me and my son raced stock outboards - my boy had one honking A motor, a Mercury KG-4 that was uber tuned. Every time he kicked butt in New Jersey races the losers would mumble about "Southern As". Well, we were from Virginia but took me awhile to research "Southern A".

A motors were 15 c.i. but somewhere in Mercury history they built a 17.5 c.i. block which was later used by Western Auto for their Wizards. Outside the parts were identical to the KG-4. A southern gentleman racer from Richmond, VA figured that out and made the switch. Got away with for several years while he stormed to win after win. Thus, when his cheating was revealed, the nickname "Southern A" was coined. It was fitting since, and I kid thee not, his name was Robert E. Lee.
Old 01-17-2015, 03:20 AM
pizzano
Behold The Renaissance

Originally Posted by gittarpikk View Post
I know a club nearby (KCRC) has Slow Stick combat every Sunday morning...although I have not been there..

But occasionally ay VAM Knoxville we do electric combat flying Corvos...
and get in some really tight furballs ....and yes we midair...sometimes several times a day but the Corvos are light and tough enough to take most of the abuse and still fly..

but I'm concentrating on a new design of mine and FPV combat plane that should be able to take them all on in FPV ...with the others flying LOS and win.

also should give the racing 250 quads a run for their money through the trees
You'd be surprized how well the 200 racing quads handle in the hands of a good pilot......they've got a few advantages your plane will not have...obviously they axis rotate (vert & horiz) and stop on a dime if needed.....especially handy in tight spaces and slalom......

Recently, I was at a sponsored exhibit in Orange County that had several pylon type FPV quad races........blew my mind how fast and agile these pros can make quads perform........
Old 01-17-2015, 03:27 AM
hayofstacks
Super Contributor

Go to the dollar store, buy 5-10 streamers. Tape one to your tail, the entire length, then take it to the flying field. In 10 minutes, everyone else would do the same. Person with the longest streamer wins.
Old 01-17-2015, 03:40 AM
gittarpikk
CrazyBall Designer and OT

Originally Posted by pizzano View Post
You'd be surprized how well the 200 racing quads handle in the hands of a good pilot....

..they've got a few advantages your plane will not have

very few....

...obviously they axis rotate (vert & horiz)

Check (look at the image...full symmetrical...can out turn any quad)

and stop on a dime if needed..'

and lose...

...especially handy in tight spaces and slalom......

This design can fly 'through' small limbs.../grass...a quad would chip/lose a prop

Recently, I was at a sponsored exhibit in Orange County that had several pylon type FPV quad races........blew my mind how fast and agile these pros can make quads perform........
yep...Mine will be faster, lighter, turn harder, less limitations and waaaaay cheaper if it centers a tree trunk at 60-70 mph.

This is a level turning design...not 'bank and yank'

still developing at this point... will be flying fpv combat soon.
Old 01-17-2015, 04:03 AM
pizzano
Behold The Renaissance

LOL gitt.........love the enthusiasm. The plank concept will most certainly be fast and agile......it will never accelerate + vert. like any racing quad, which is needed on many outdoor, tree, branch and bush laced courses......good luck.....keep the concept alive here at WF.......it's not combat, but interesting nevertheless......

Quick Reply: I guess nobody flies combat anymore

Contact Us Archive Advertising Cookie Policy Privacy Statement Terms of Service

Copyright 2018 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.

Page generated in 0.14707 seconds with 14 queries