Crash and Safety Forum Punch something in lately? Have safety suggestions? Tell the story, share safety tips, and show the pictures here.

OK Who Crashed today ? Besides me :)

Old 10-03-2016, 10:06 AM
Swiss Flyer
In the clouds

Unhappy

Total loss of an Apprentice S 15e last night

Was flying a little too far away and started to get glitching as the radio signal kept cutting in and out (Spektrum DX6). I tried repeatedly to get it pointed back in my direction, but it kept cycling between control and going into its fail safe (circling). In the end it became a smaller and smaller spec on the horizon and the light was rapidly failing so I had to give up.

As all this happened over several km of very dense forest, there is almost no way I would be able to find it.

I've realised that despite its 1.5 meter wingspan, the Apprentice is very much like a park flyer in terms of range.
Old 10-03-2016, 10:55 AM
solentlife
Super Contributor

Hi Swiss Flyer ... time to think like me ? How to sort a decent Lost Model Finder !!

I keep looking at the GPS / Mobile Phone gagdets ... but at presnt are a little too big / heavy. I'm sure some enterprising Chinese Chappie will sort it ...

The Loc8tor is a piece of c*** as I understand it so not a contender ...

The Bluetooth tags I have - cannot get them to work as they need BOTH Bluetooth 4 AND later Android 4.4 or better ... as well as full OTG capability.

Nigel
Old 10-03-2016, 11:17 AM
Swiss Flyer
In the clouds

Hey Nigel, I was actually thinking of a GPS enabled return to home auto-pilot. Both times I have lost my planes have been a result of disorientation and lost signal because I like to fly high and far out.
Old 10-03-2016, 12:11 PM
solentlife
Super Contributor

Friend of mine makes 1S powered GPS enabled signal generators. Very small ... and sends a signal to a hand held scanner receiver ...

He builds them for his FPV work ... and gets over 2km range with it.

I must get info from him ... but it is a DIY build job with small circuit board stuff ! I think he said it works out about 50 Euros a shot ... simple 1S battery from the WLToys range gives about 1 years use !!

When talking to him ... we started to talk about how to isolate a Lost Model Alarm from main power pack and still have LMA if pack ejects from model ... he solved it in seconds ...

I will describe in the dedicated LMA thread : http://www.wattflyer.com/forums/show...st+model+alarm

Nigel
Old 10-03-2016, 02:02 PM
Swiss Flyer
In the clouds

Its just occured to me that I have one of those GPS smart watches for my 5 year old son for when he starts walking to kindergarten. It takes a microsim card and allows us to track him on a Google Map, set up geofence alarms etc..

Something like this would be ideal for modelling since its lightweight, robust and has decent battery life. I bought mine from Amazon.de for around 50
Old 10-03-2016, 02:55 PM
solentlife
Super Contributor

Excellent unit ... question is weight and size.

Large models generally are not hard to find as we tend to smack'em in where we can find them ... tail sticking out of the long grass etc.
But small models are the pain ... they like to 'hide' away in even shortish grass !

I invite anyone interested or with ideas such as this GPS Watch etc. to come on to the thread I started a while back ... see if we can come up with a simple ... budget idea on this ...

Cheers
Nigel
Old 10-06-2016, 09:54 PM
Felix Rogotzki

Build Review Motor issue

Good day fellow pilots.
I've recently bought my very first rc plane and I crashed on my first flight. 😡 I took my aircraft into the workshop and to me it looks like my motor is angled slightly downwards. Please let me know if this is a problem and if this should be fixed.

Regards,
Felix
Attached Images
File Type: jpg
IMG_2871.JPG (857.4 KB, 288 views)
IMG_2872.JPG (788.5 KB, 303 views)
IMG_2873.JPG (740.3 KB, 288 views)
Old 10-06-2016, 10:24 PM
Panther
Super Contributor

Most models have engine downthrust. This helps to prevent the plane climbing as it gains speed under power.
It is quite normal and some planes have right sidethrust as well.
Old 10-06-2016, 10:44 PM
dahawk
Super Contributor

Some models have a down and to the right(starboard) compound angle built in to establish an ideal thrust line. Your firewall or motor mount might have this. Check it out.

Hawk
Old 10-10-2016, 11:14 PM
Nitro Blast
Community Moderator

Doesn't it really suck when you realize you have not plugged in your ailerons, just at the moment you leave the ground on your take off run?

Old 10-11-2016, 12:05 AM
dahawk
Super Contributor

It'll buff out.
Old 10-22-2016, 06:10 PM
park
Clear !

Default Dynam tiger moth

Darn it, was doing a low pass under power lines (that's how I have to takeoff and land) , I know not the best place to fly but I live out of town on a lonely two lane road and that's the first time in 12 years I have hit them. I didn't give it enough nose down trim for the pass and I relaxed down elevator and I hit the right upper wing on the lowest wire. She came straight down right in front of me on the pavement the shortest walk of shame I've had.
It can be repaired but it really got tweaked.
Spinner, prop, cowling, one broken wire attachment, motor mounts, broken foam on the fus where the upper wing strut attaches, cracked foam where the gear is mounted and lots of compression damage, even the batt. The motor seems to be ok but I need to take a closer look at it. May or may not repair, I have another Tiggie without a scratch on it.
Attached Images
File Type: jpeg
image.jpeg (917.3 KB, 279 views)
Old 10-22-2016, 10:24 PM
Panther
Super Contributor

Angry

I know the feeling. But I had to get help to get mine back. Took a wingtip off and wrecked one motor but the onboard video was great!

Haven't learned how to paste on this iPad yet sadly.��. Just learned...��
Old 10-22-2016, 10:29 PM
kyleservicetech
Super Contributor

FYI for other readers, it's not wise to fly any model with carbon fiber in it near powerlines. If your model should initiate a flash over, your model will vanish in a cloud of smoke.
Old 10-22-2016, 10:36 PM
Panther
Super Contributor

I am sure most of us know that but accidents happen.
Old 10-22-2016, 10:49 PM
dahawk
Super Contributor

Good one. I wish I had a cherry picker for the times I've put one in a high tree.
Power line? Eek. Neighborhood lose power ? Just kidding.

Hawk
Old 10-22-2016, 11:26 PM
Panther
Super Contributor

No, I called in the experts as I was worried some kids might come and try to retrieve it.
They are 33,000 volt lines.
Long story but I had to dive and was flying low as some full sized clown came flying through well below regulation height then turned around and came back again. Scared the poo out of me.
No charge for retrieval.

Old 10-23-2016, 09:08 AM
solentlife
Super Contributor

I've seen models got down from cables and tree - rubber tipped kiddies arrows - shot at the model to dislodge it, doesn't take much usually. Another is tennis balls thrown at it.
If any kids are playing ball - they'll usually have fun throwing their ball to hit the model ....

Nigel
Old 10-23-2016, 10:04 AM
Panther
Super Contributor

Sadly Nigel the fancy tailwheel I made for it was too well hooked up.

On the farm I just get my chainsaw and tractor out but Energex might complain if I chop down a power pole.
Old 10-23-2016, 04:28 PM
kyleservicetech
Super Contributor

Originally Posted by Panther View Post
No, I called in the experts as I was worried some kids might come and try to retrieve it.
They are 33,000 volt lines.
Long story but I had to dive and was flying low as some full sized clown came flying through well below regulation height then turned around and came back again. Scared the poo out of me.
No charge for retrieval.

I've seen the costs of sending out a crew with a bucket truck. No charge? They were very nice to you!
Old 10-23-2016, 06:28 PM
solentlife
Super Contributor

Originally Posted by Panther View Post
Sadly Nigel the fancy tailwheel I made for it was too well hooked up.

On the farm I just get my chainsaw and tractor out but Energex might complain if I chop down a power pole.
Point taken !!

Do not mention Tractors !! My Belarus Tractor has decided to not run !! It was running fine other day and then just stopped. Luckily I had not moved out yet to the job intended. I have spent last 3 days trying to get diesel bled through 3 of the 4 injectors.
I've removed the injection pump side plate to make sure the individual pump springs are not stuck ... I've pumped like mad the manual pump and had diesel squirt out the bleed hole ... I've changed the filter, drained of the water trap and refilled ... done everything possible but still 3 injectors are dry !!

Nigel
Old 10-23-2016, 10:06 PM
Panther
Super Contributor

Good luck with bleeding! They can be a real pain. I have never run mine dry yet for that reason alone. LOL. Seems odd that one inj. is OK. Get on 'Tractor By Net'
There are some clever fellows on there. There are some Belarus questions in this forum
Old 10-25-2016, 03:41 AM
kyleservicetech
Super Contributor

Originally Posted by Nitro Blast View Post
Doesn't it really suck when you realize you have not plugged in your ailerons, just at the moment you leave the ground on your take off run?
]
This is a true story that happened to me back in the mid 1980's with a Gentle Lady sailplane I had back then. Launch was by bungee, and the day was way to windy to fly.

So, went flying anyway, pulled the Gentle Lady way back on the bungee, let go, and it was very difficult to handle in the high winds. It came off the tow, was being blown all over the place, difficult to control. I got it back on the ground without breaking anything, and went to pick up the model.

El-stupido NEVER TURNED ON THE RECEIVER The airplane gods were really watching over that Gentle Lady.

So, to this day, before taking off, on EVERY flight, I wiggle the ailerons, elevator, rudder to make certain all work, and in the right direction. And, twice over the past 30 years, found a model with the ailerons not plugged in.
Old 11-03-2016, 08:55 PM
Vic Z

Has been a while but today was my turn. Been working on them harriers and did way better today than my previous attempts. A wing rock didn't straighten out and got away from me.
Sometimes new skill sets come at a cost.
Great day at the field and was worth it.
Easy 10 minute repair
Attached Images
20161103_112749.jpg (1.98 MB, 185 views)
20161103_075714.jpg (1.32 MB, 185 views)
Old 11-12-2016, 06:43 AM
mclarkson
Super Contributor

I'm so stupid, guys. Sooooo dumb.

I had a catastrophic failure of the motor mount on my scratch-built bipe a couple of weeks ago. I finally had time to put it all back together - a basement re-flooring has taken up my time and blocked access to my work space for a few weeks.

It seemed in good order. I took it to the nearby school yard, plugged in the battery, gave the control surfaces a quick UP/DOWN/LEFT/RIGHT, and then rolled across the parking lot for take-off. Just as it was lifting off the ground- BAM!! the plane heeled over hard and slammed into the ground. It looked like an invisible guy kicked it as it went past. I was baffled.

So I took it back to the bench, repaired the relatively minor damage, plugged in a test battery and ... noticed that the bottom ailerons were way, way out of whack.

The bottom ailerons are on the FLAPS channel, mixed with the AILERON channel. Turns out, if some dumb-a$$ has the FLAP switch down, that translates into the bottom ailerons being all the way up on one side, and all the way down on the other. As soon as it had some air speed, it of course tried to snap roll to the right.

So I've (finally) changed my mix so that the FLAP switch does nothing and I'll give her another try when the winds die down and when I stop kicking myself.

Quick Reply: OK Who Crashed today ? Besides me :)

Contact Us Archive Advertising Cookie Policy Privacy Statement Terms of Service

Copyright 2018 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.

Page generated in 0.12381 seconds with 19 queries