Maiden Flight PKZ EXTRA 300 - WattFlyer RC Electric Flight Forums - Discuss radio control eflight

Beginners New to e-power flying? Get the low down in here from experienced e-power RC pilots!

Maiden Flight PKZ EXTRA 300

Old 08-17-2013, 03:33 AM
dereckbc
Super Contributor

Default Maiden Flight PKZ EXTRA 300

I have my second plane, and EXTRA 300. Today the weather was right and my Instructor were up for the Maiden Flight.

Wow I am glad I did not try this on my own. 100% certain I would have turned it into packing peanuts. The dang thing is super fast and extra sensitive. The dang thing scares the snot out of me. Nothing like an Apprentice.

Can anyone recommend EXPO rates? What the book recommends is way to sensitive for me.
Old 08-17-2013, 01:18 PM
hoghead5150

start with limiting the control surface throws. expo is good and bad. to much expo can cause crazy things to happen.

i would start with dual rates set around 50% on low rate and 70% on high rate. this should tame the plane down. once you get used to the plane and find yourself flying on high rates all the time, then go in and up the rates.

expo helps, no doubt, but running to high expo values can cause the plane to feel sluggish right up until the point the plane snaps that direction.
Old 08-17-2013, 07:35 PM
JetPlaneFlyer
Super Contributor

I fly with up to 80% expo but that's for 3D flying. For sport flying I'd say no more than 40% expo but reduce the throw by moving the pushrod to a further out hole on the control horn (or further in on the servo arm).

This is better than reducing throw on the TX because it improves power and precision at the servo.

When/if you feel that you need more throw you can move the linkage back.
Old 08-17-2013, 10:02 PM
dereckbc
Super Contributor

Originally Posted by JetPlaneFlyer View Post
For sport flying I'd say no more than 40% expo but reduce the throw by moving the pushrod to a further out hole on the control horn (or further in on the servo arm).
That is pretty much what I have done. Well see how it handles this afternoon.

For now I set the servo Control Arms to the middle, Control Horns to 3 out of 4 away from the surface, Low Rate = 70%, High Rate = 100%, and EXPO to 40% on both High/Low rate.

I think the things that bothers me most are the plane is smaller and a lot faster so I have to keep it closer so I can see orientation which means a lot of turning. The other thing is landing as this one lands real HOT compared to the Apprentice. Instructor even had a little trouble the first time with Roller Coaster Up/Down. But I think that was Throw and Expo was out of his comfort Zone. I made th emistake of setting up th eplane per the book for extreme throw distance. Hopefully now I have it tamed down a little.
Old 08-18-2013, 02:29 AM
dereckbc
Super Contributor

Default 2nd Round

OK 2nd round went better. Instructor had to bail me out once as I lost orientation when the plane got some distance out. Some how got inverted too close to the ground pulled to get altitude which was the wrong direction.

Still cannot land the darn thing.
Old 08-18-2013, 02:58 PM
hoghead5150

Originally Posted by JetPlaneFlyer View Post
I fly with up to 80% expo but that's for 3D flying. For sport flying I'd say no more than 40% expo but reduce the throw by moving the pushrod to a further out hole on the control horn (or further in on the servo arm).

This is better than reducing throw on the TX because it improves power and precision at the servo.

When/if you feel that you need more throw you can move the linkage back.
i agree 100%. the main reason i stated what i did was MOST of the people that post in the beginners section really don't understand the concept of setting up a plane the correct way. moving the control rods around at the servo and control surfaces also requires that you go back and recheck to make sure the surfaces are still level (will change any trim setting you previously had) and you should go back in and recheck the endpoint adjustments of the servos to.

also if a servo is not up to the task power or speed wise to control the surface at it's maximum it really shouldn't be used on this type of plane. when you get into planes designed for 3d or extreme manuvers cheap equipment just doesn't cut it.

IF the OP really wants to learn the correct way to set the plane up, and understands that each adjustment will mean other things ALSO need to be checked, by all means listen to jetplanefighter. it is the "correct" way to do this.