First Crash w Pictures and Questions - Page 2 - WattFlyer RC Electric Flight Forums - Discuss radio control eflight

Beginners New to e-power flying? Get the low down in here from experienced e-power RC pilots!

First Crash w Pictures and Questions

Old 09-03-2013, 11:38 PM
LARANGE

Dereck, same thing happened to me the second time I took it out. Did range and function test, took off in beginner mode, to about 50' or so of altitude. Plane banked itself into left turn with no input from tx. I tried to correct with full right rt aileron, no response, cut throttle, no response, hit "panic" button, no response. The motor was still spinning, as I watched my plane circle left then crash into the trees. Fully charged stock lipo, brand new batts in tx full charge. Could hear the motor still running in the tree then it died. When I finally got to the tree it was in, say 5 to no more than 10 mins, the throttle made no effect on motor, but all the servos functioned.
-this is not my first plane
-there was a definite communication loss at some point right after take off.
-ESC appeared to be smoked?
-called HH, were awesome on phone and told me to send it in so they could look at it.
-shipped it fri so will see what comes when they get it
-they told me it was not the first time they heard of this with this plane
Old 09-04-2013, 12:25 AM
dereckbc
Super Contributor

Originally Posted by LARANGE View Post
they told me it was not the first time they heard of this with this plane
Yep and they keep selling it knowing the RX has bugs. Really leaving a bad taste in my mouth.
Old 09-04-2013, 12:38 AM
rcers
Super Contributor

Originally Posted by LARANGE View Post
-called HH, were awesome on phone and told me to send it in so they could look at it.
-shipped it fri so will see what comes when they get it
-they told me it was not the first time they heard of this with this plane
Unless I miss my guess you will be getting a brand new airplane. They are generally very good.

Mike
Old 09-04-2013, 12:46 AM
dereckbc
Super Contributor

Originally Posted by rcers View Post
Unless I miss my guess you will be getting a brand new airplane. They are generally very good.

Mike
Wished they would have offered me that deal. All I got was offered a new one for $200 or 30% off.
Old 09-04-2013, 12:51 AM
rcers
Super Contributor

Originally Posted by dereckbc View Post
Wished they would have offered me that deal. All I got was offered a new one for $200 or 30% off.
I bet if you had sent it in, you would have received a new airplane.
Old 09-04-2013, 12:56 AM
LARANGE

As long as they stand behind it, im ok with it. I really like the plane and the idea, I bought it to get my 5yo(6 in Oct) son some stick time, where I can help him with the SAFE tech. The first time we took it out I let him do a solo take off, bank a turn an level off, The excitement on his face alone was worth the cost of the plane at that moment!
But definitely hope they get it worked out
Old 09-04-2013, 12:59 AM
LARANGE

Originally Posted by rcers View Post

Mike
it sure sounded that way on the phone, I was really impressed with the way they treated me, pleasantly surprised actually
Old 09-04-2013, 01:41 AM
Wrench66
Ya' need to use mo rudda!

Here ya go Derek [email protected]
--Ray
Old 09-04-2013, 04:30 AM
maxflyer

Not familiar with the SAFE system, but have to ask why would you even use this system now? Sounds like you have enough experience to do without it. If you find the plane is too twitchy, just learn how to program some exponential or low rates into your TX. The SAFE system is just one more thing to possibly fail.
Old 09-04-2013, 04:38 AM
dereckbc
Super Contributor

Originally Posted by maxflyer View Post
Not familiar with the SAFE system, but have to ask why would you even use this system now? Sounds like you have enough experience to do without it. If you find the plane is too twitchy, just learn how to program some exponential or low rates into your TX. The SAFE system is just one more thing to possibly fail.
Already have a RX. The plane is easy to fly
Old 09-04-2013, 04:40 AM
hoghead5150

a couple things you might wanna check, first the esc. the older apprentice and the first versions of the apprentice S had the original 30 amp pro esc in them. these esc's and a bec rated for only 700mah, the newer esc is a "V2" and it's rated at 3.5 amps. check to make sure you have the newer esc.

second eflite has been having alot of problems with the internal bec's in their esc's. just look at the blade 550 helicopter. the bec's are just not holding up.

a bad bec could explain your problems. bec overheats and shuts down, i think the plane should go into failsafe and level itself, BUT if the bec doesn't shut completely down and the power to the receiver gets popped on and off it could freak out the receiver.

another problem eflite has had is with servos. on my apprentice i have had the elevator servo go out AND the rudder servo go out. the rudder died suddenly and completely. the elevator tho was a mess. up elevator was fine, let go of the stick the elevator wouldn't center correctly and would actually go a little down elevator. give the stick Down elevator and it worked fine, but let off the stick and it wouldn't center again and would give up elevator! this caused alot of up/down flight!! at first i thought it was me and i added a little more expo, it got worse to where if i gave any up elevator the servo would go half way and stick there until i gave FULL down elevator. then it would pop loose. made for some crazy loops, and then some crazy dives toward the ground!!
Old 09-04-2013, 04:46 AM
hoghead5150

oh yeah, the apprentice does NOT have a Power 15 motor in it. the stock motor is a BL 15 and it's actually smaller than the Power 15. if you install a power 15 you will have to use a larger esc. i have my watt meter readings from my apprentice around here somewhere, but with the stock prop, stock bl 15 motor it was pulling around 280 watts at like 27 amps.

the power up 15 from headsup is a good replacement. you can run the stock prop or the 12x6e prop with it. run a 45 amp esc and your golden.
Old 09-04-2013, 02:38 PM
Rockin Robbins
Super Contributor

Hey guys, some wrong information here that doesn't help Dereck any, but might be useful for somebody watching the thread.

1. Replacing a 450 watt motor with a 750 watt motor as JetPlaneFlyer suggested would result in unpredictable effects when coupled with the SAFE system. Luckily, the SAFE system has no throttle functions. Unfortunately, almost doubling the power, coupled with our willingness to use that power , would result in higher strain on the airframe and reduced flight durations. It could also result in too much fun.

2. Failsafe in the SAFE system is not straight and level flight. It's a descending spiral (not a spin but descending circles) calculated to bring the plane to the ground quickly at a point as close to the point of malfunction as possible. If there's no collision with an object, the plane should land with little or no damage.