3D Flying Discuss everything related to "3D" flying including construction, power setups and flying techniques

Hobby King Edge 540 EPP / Ply 1430mm span

Old 07-28-2016, 02:00 PM
solentlife
Super Contributor

Originally Posted by Crashalott View Post
Bummer Nigel!
Crash
Hi Crash ... that was ages ago ... models been sorted and flies fine now.

OK - other day I dumped into soggy ground but that was not all my fault. She's repaired again and ready for the skies.

She does fly well ...

Nigel
Old 08-04-2016, 05:05 PM
solentlife
Super Contributor

Maiden flight with the new more powerful servos installed.

Much better ... I still waiting the even higher powered servos that will eventually replace ALL servos on the model.

I am also considering moving rudder servo up front and have pull-pull. Using the old slot or near to have split elevator servos.
Reason is that I think the damage suffered when elevator broke away has caused some movement problem for one side at extreme. I have a slight roll tendency when elevators hit max. Splitting to twin servos should cure that.

Nigel
Old 08-14-2016, 07:46 PM
solentlife
Super Contributor

Rec'd the bag of high power Henge Servos and a surprise gift ... a mini Servo Tester about the size of a Cell Checker ....

So now will have to decide what to do. The bag contains 4 servos ... and I am considering Pull Pull on the Rudder. Swap the rear Rudder servo position to split elevator servo.

That means I have to consider which servos where. Two Henge will go to ailerons, but the other two ? To split elevator servos I may need to reverse one ... and I am not sure how to reverse a digital - so may use two existing analogues with one reversed. One of the Henge's possibly going to rudder ... unless I decide to keep for another model needing such power.

Decisions ... decisions ...

Nigel
Old 08-14-2016, 07:59 PM
JetPlaneFlyer
Super Contributor

Surely the way to do dual elevator servos is via a dual servo mix the Tx using two channels? Spektrum have a standard pre-configured setting for this, but it's basically slaving a channel off elevator with direction reversed.. simple.
Old 08-15-2016, 07:25 AM
solentlife
Super Contributor

Originally Posted by JetPlaneFlyer View Post
Surely the way to do dual elevator servos is via a dual servo mix the Tx using two channels? Spektrum have a standard pre-configured setting for this, but it's basically slaving a channel off elevator with direction reversed.. simple.
No problem for er9x as well if I want to use two channels. My Edge has the A3 unit in it and I would like to avoid using the split outlet of the A3. To reverse a servo is only a 5 min job and then I can enjoy any way to achieve result.

Nigel
Old 08-15-2016, 08:35 AM
JetPlaneFlyer
Super Contributor

Many modern servos (apparently) cant be reversed because the motor is directly connected to the PCB.

I thought that the A3 had support for dual elevators? (memory might be playing tricks)
Old 08-15-2016, 04:08 PM
solentlife
Super Contributor

Many modern servos (apparently) cant be reversed because the motor is directly connected to the PCB.

I thought that the A3 had support for dual elevators? (memory might be playing tricks)
Quote from my previous ...

and I would like to avoid using the split outlet of the A3.
Yes it does ... but as said I am trying to avoid it. I would rather keep the A3 in simple modes / setup to avoid 'consequences' !!

Cheers
Nigel
Old 08-15-2016, 05:38 PM
JetPlaneFlyer
Super Contributor

I'd have thought using the 'designed in' support for dual elevator within the A3 would be far less potentially risky than opening up a servo and modifying the circuitry/wiring... but that's your call!
Old 08-15-2016, 08:13 PM
solentlife
Super Contributor

I'd have thought using the 'designed in' support for dual elevator within the A3 would be far less potentially risky than opening up a servo and modifying the circuitry/wiring... but that's your call!
Fair call ... but I've modified plenty of servos over the years and its only swapping over two sets of two wires.

I generally avoid split channels on elevators as i have had unequal movement on a couple of setups and ended up Y leading the servos to equalise them. Unusual but it happened. My Yak55 was a nightmare for it.
This model will still have the elevator joiner left in place, as I did with my EF Extra. using the Y lead meant that I did not have to balance the two channels to avoid one servo stalling or under stress with that joiner in place.

Why have a joiner and split servos ? Both servos acting on a joined elevator system ? The total torque applied is across the whole elevator system.

Personal bias !!

Nigel
Old 09-19-2016, 08:15 AM
solentlife
Super Contributor

I know this is double posted but feel its relevant to the model ...

>

Shame of it !

My 55" EPP Edge 540 went in yesterday. Totally my fault.

There I was showing off .... and lost her into the marsh off to the side. Rescued her and she was fine. Now any sensible person would think .... I've probably used more than half useable of the LiPo .. but I was so keen to have her in air again - I took off for another flight. Fine ... model was performing great.

I brought to hover about 3m of the deck .... but soon found she was slowly losing height - I was feeding in more throttle and then realised LiPo was done !
I punched nose over but she was not having it and bottomed out smashing the front ...

Luckily I have a new cowl and fuselage faceplate - motor box appears to have just broken away complete - so all salvageable.

All because I was sure I had plenty left in the LiPo !

Nigel
Old 09-19-2016, 05:43 PM
solentlife
Super Contributor

Lets start ....

First here are the new parts that I have had spare for some time ... I bought them when I crashed due to poor factory hinges ..

The Faceplate I have scanned also for possible laser production later if necessary.

Cut away old faceplate and clean up ..

CF rods in the fuselage can be seen to have splintered ..

They pulled out and basically fell apart ..

They are 6mm OD and it just so happens I have 6mm OD alloy tube ... which would make a good substitute. Weighing shows the alloy to be 18gr and the CF removed about 10gr. So not a problem I feel.

Start tacking the split EPP back together to form the shell ..

Clamps and flat plates to get lines back as best as possible ...

Alloy tubes in and start to fit faceplate...

I have a bagful of Coffee stirrer stcks that are excellent for recreating these skeletal frames. They can be scarfed in / butted / doubled to create strong formers.
I also intend to use Depron here to make sure I get stiff structure but lightweight.

to be continued ...

Nigel
Old 09-19-2016, 06:35 PM
solentlife
Super Contributor

Faceplate setting up ...

In place and then its sort out frames and support behind ..

Internal behind the faceplate ... as can be seen the alloy rods fit perfectly ... but work is needed to rebuild the supporting framework ... and replace the 1mm CF rod on one side which I have plenty of ...

Nigel
Old 09-20-2016, 09:20 PM
solentlife
Super Contributor

OK getting nearly there ...

Motor box is repaired on 3 sides except for bottom where I will splice in a new battery tray once its fitted to faceplate ..

I have stiffened up the front box round battery area with 6mm depron either side and will then get cross brace strips to keep sides apart ! ...

The new battery tray also locks the undercarraige box in place with the rods.

She should be completed tomorrow ready for next weekend.

Nigel
Old 05-27-2017, 12:47 PM
solentlife
Super Contributor

Having looked again on this model and dragged her out for flight today - it tempted fate ... I can honestly say with hand on heart - this is one of the worst models I have ever owned.

I have said in the past that important structural areas are weak in particular with regard to material to hinge into.
I have commented that the model is fragile and adding CF is not an answer. Most other models are designed well and then CF added after as additional support. This model appears to be a fragile carcass that then has CF added to stiffen her up.

I have had a love - hate relationship with this model where it just decides for itself. Today was another occasion of hinge problems and crash.

I am always ready to accept blame for dumb-thumbs crashes and errors, but this PoS is just something else.
I had been flying for a few minutes and then decided to go upwind and make a left turn to come back for a lower level pass ... in that turn - she decided enough was enough and hinge let go ... in she went and KABOOM .... even though throttle was pulled back to idle - into softish long grass marsh - she exploded into bits.

Note - I had previously added blocks and also injected PU glue into areas where hinges are to strengthen and give better hold. Problem is you cannot correct the whole spar line !

Well she's had her day with me ... I will not waste time putting her back together again. All the electrics / motor etc. are perfect for my other Laser Kit Tiger Moth.

Today was a great flying day ... until that PoS left the ground. Spoilt a good day.

I will upload video when its processed ...

Nigel
Old 05-27-2017, 01:34 PM
Crashalott
Super Contributor

Originally Posted by solentlife View Post
Having looked again on this model and dragged her out for flight today - it tempted fate ... I can honestly say with hand on heart - this is one of the worst models I have ever owned.

I have said in the past that important structural areas are weak in particular with regard to material to hinge into.
I have commented that the model is fragile and adding CF is not an answer. Most other models are designed well and then CF added after as additional support. This model appears to be a fragile carcass that then has CF added to stiffen her up.

I have had a love - hate relationship with this model where it just decides for itself. Today was another occasion of hinge problems and crash.

I am always ready to accept blame for dumb-thumbs crashes and errors, but this PoS is just something else.
I had been flying for a few minutes and then decided to go upwind and make a left turn to come back for a lower level pass ... in that turn - she decided enough was enough and hinge let go ... in she went and KABOOM .... even though throttle was pulled back to idle - into softish long grass marsh - she exploded into bits.

Note - I had previously added blocks and also injected PU glue into areas where hinges are to strengthen and give better hold. Problem is you cannot correct the whole spar line !

Well she's had her day with me ... I will not waste time putting her back together again. All the electrics / motor etc. are perfect for my other Laser Kit Tiger Moth.

Today was a great flying day ... until that PoS left the ground. Spoilt a good day.

I will upload video when its processed ...

Nigel
Sorry about that Nigel!
Crash
Old 05-27-2017, 01:39 PM
Crashalott
Super Contributor

Default Michael Wargo Signature Yak 55 3D

Well i for one am still waiting for the Yak to come in from China.
I think they are using the slow boat. Maybe an old Liberty Ship to bring it over.
I check HB every day for news of it but they are not giving any updates.
Should be a good 3D airplane if it ever becomes available.
Crash
Old 05-28-2017, 08:13 AM
solentlife
Super Contributor

Here you go ....

If I can convince myself to leave it in bits - my RC life will be much smoother instead of hashing this crap back together so often !!

Nigel