Off Topic Chit Chat Get to know other eflight modelers in the WattFlyer community here in this off topic forum. NO politics or religion discussion please (Holiday well wishes are ok)

24 April - I lost a great friend and companion

Old 04-25-2018, 09:31 AM
solentlife
Super Contributor

Default 24 April - I lost a great friend and companion

Ben - one of our Dogs had been battling health for some time and like many owners, we visited Vets and all the treatments possible. Ben despite his failing health remained totally devoted and loving to the last seconds, never complaining.
Yesterday came and the sad reality which in all honesty knew was coming arrived. His lungs were cancered, prostrate enlarged and his spine in hip area was virtually paralysed.
Svetlana and I held Ben as he drifted away peacefully still with that loving look in his eyes.

We laid him to rest alongside Dora, who had mothered him when he first joined our family 13 years ago. Dora was devoted to caring for him and Ben always looked on Dora as his own even when he towered over her.

I like to take a Rod and Line for fishing in my channel - Ben would always be there as well, in fact he would study that float better than I. He would fix his eyes on it. I have never known a big dog be so loving and be fixed on fishing !

Ben with Dora who sadly passed on more than a year ago ...

https://www.facebook.com/photo.php?f...3246342&type=3

and when he first joined our family, Dora taking on role of Mother :

Ben ... place seems so empty without him ... sadly missed and forever in our hearts.

Nigel
Old 04-25-2018, 10:28 AM
Don Sims
Administrator

Hate to read about the loss of your beloved dog Nigel. He and Dora seemed like loving pets.
Old 04-25-2018, 05:18 PM
Wildflyer
Past President of PSSF

There are no words that totally describe the bond between a dog and the people they love, you just see it in their eyes.

My heart goes out for you
Old 04-25-2018, 11:36 PM
Panther
Super Contributor

As Will Rogers said "If there are no dogs in heaven, then I want to go where they are when I die"
I agree.
Sorry about your loss Nigel.
I am thankful I have lots of videos and pics of our loved ones that have gone.
Old 04-27-2018, 12:36 PM
JetPlaneFlyer
Super Contributor

Sorry to hear this Nigel. I love my dogs too and know just how hard it is when their time comes.
Old 04-27-2018, 02:47 PM
dahawk
Super Contributor

So sorry for your loss. I have 3 rescue dogs and it’s so painful letting go. They are like my children except they like me better.
Old 04-27-2018, 05:21 PM
pizzano
Behold The Renaissance

I felt the pain a couple of months ago......lost two within six months of each other. Both were 13yrs old, raised them with our kids. It wasn't a pleasant experience.......both were awesome companions and loved our kids to death.......they both were "dog pound" adoption pups.......one was a Dalmatian-Rottweiler mix (the momma got out of the yard and partied with neighbor big boy), the other was a Staffordshire-Border Terrier mix, never learned her story.

We loved them much...!
Old 04-27-2018, 11:35 PM
Panther
Super Contributor

My dogs always came out to the paddock with me when I was flying. I miss that a lot. Every now and then they would chase a plane when I launched it. They loved watching them. I still have my little Pug with me and now a Little girl Chinese crested as well. I took captures from some of my videos and put captions with them. Maybe doesn't mean much to some but it certainly holds dear to me. Here is one.

Old 04-29-2018, 11:01 PM
fdnyjery
FDNYJERY

Nigel my prayers are with you and your family . I had 3 dogs now 2 with the passing of the old guy. Check out the RAINBOW BRIDGE .It will soothe you and your family. By the way I have decided when my time comes I would want to be at the RAINBOW BRIDGE. With all my 4 legged friends ! GOD BLESS fdnyjery
Old 04-30-2018, 03:55 AM
dereckbc
Super Contributor

Nigel I am terrible with words trying to comfort survivors. I know what you are going through, last year I lost my Boston Terrier named Rocky and a Cat named Duffy. They both passed within a month of each other. I had then 14 years and they were less than 2-months apart in age and I had them since they were a puppy and kitten. They were best of friends to each other and me.

If you are an Empty Nester like me loosing a pet can be like loosing a child for which there is no greater pain to bare. All I can say is time will heel the wounds and leave you with fond memories that will bring a smile instead of tears. In fact if you are like me, given enough time, I now have a 6-month old BT today and a kitten, and they both fill the void.

God Bless.

Dereck.
Old 05-01-2018, 03:38 PM
firemanbill
Community Moderator

Sorry for your loss Bud. It is always so painful to lose our little furry friends.
Old 05-01-2018, 08:22 PM
solentlife
Super Contributor

Thanks to all ... your posts are very welcome.

As you know its difficult to describe how a Dog or Cat can become so important part of your life. For weeks and even now I have moments of intense sadness for loss of Dora .... Ben who was so 'connected' with her just adds to the heartache.
Along with his being by my side in so much.

If only people could be like them - there's no BS with a dog ... they like you or not. If they do - its total commitment, no ifs or buts ... not like humans who most you could not trust as far as you could throw them !

I closed Ben's eyes at the end ... still with the look of love from him.

I just hope that he understood our decision ... my Wife is still not able to talk about Ben ..

Sorry Guys ... I should not pass our tragedy on. Forgive me.

Nigel
Old 05-01-2018, 11:48 PM
dereckbc
Super Contributor

Originally Posted by solentlife View Post
Sorry Guys ... I should not pass our tragedy on. Forgive me.
Nigel you have nothing to be forgiven for. Holding grief in is destructive and poisons the soul. Sharing your grief and expressing your feelings is part of the healing process. Don't hold it in, let it out.

Grab a couple of close friends, go to a pub, tip a few pints, and cry your eyes out. That is what friends are for. You will feel a lot better after you get it out.
Old 05-02-2018, 01:40 PM
firemanbill
Community Moderator

Nigel we get it. Let it out man. Most of us have been there and understand how you feel.

I still ache for my beloved Damatian. We had to let her go several years ago now and it still hurts to this day. She was a gift to me from my sister for Fathers day and was a great dog, companion, and friend for many years.

The hurt in her eyes the last few days with her legs giving out and the muscles tightening up was awful. when we took her to the vet I was trying to be strong for her. She looked at me and it was clear as day to me that she was saying "it's ok Dad, let me go, I will be fine" with that the Vet did his thing and she went to sleep. My God it still hurts. But was the right thing to do.

Time will not make it easier my friend, but it will bring understanding and the peace of mind you are looking for.

Thinking of you in these hard days.
Old 05-02-2018, 02:33 PM
solentlife
Super Contributor

Early days ....

then about a year later ...

I appreciate thoughts and posts from all you ... sincerely.

Ben lay there with the soulful look he always had ... he was with catheter in his leg for a Drip ... so it was far kinder exit than the normal needles etc. He slowly slipped away still looking at Wife and I ....

I was at the canal fishing yesterday and couldn't help but look to side where he would usually be ... He would have been proud of my catch yesterday as well.

Nigel