Beginners New to e-power flying? Get the low down in here from experienced e-power RC pilots!

Best location for slow stick battery

Old 08-31-2006, 02:03 AM
Slowdoc
Ernie Jones (AMA# 865599)

Lightbulb Best location for slow stick battery

I'm confused. I see batteries hanging from under wing and infront of wing.
Someone tell me what the pro's and con's are for Li=po's and NiMH types.
Which way gives easier balancing of somewhere between 3 and 4 inches.
=====================================
This PROBLEM SOLVED

Last edited by Slowdoc; 03-03-2009 at 02:11 AM. Reason: PROBLEM SOLVED
Old 08-31-2006, 02:12 AM
ForestCam
Bad Influence

I don't think it so much as "best" place but rather where it has to be to get the CG correct.

When you're using the stock set up you need the battery under the wing because the bushed motor and gearbox adds more weight to the nose then a brushess setup does.
Old 08-31-2006, 06:29 PM
Slowdoc

Thank you Forrest Cam. It sounds logical as sound solution even though
I see many with Li-pos in front of wing with both stock brush motors/w gear boxes and those new tower pro brushless outrunner motors everyone is switching to. I guess there is a tradeoff between ease of installing batteries versus flexability with which type of battery to use as far as size and weight goes---or are there more reasons I'm not aware of??
Old 09-05-2006, 12:55 AM
Slowdoc

Default What About Altitude Effect?

I'm a newbe here in Albuquerque NM where we try to fly at 6000 ft with low humidity,and thin air. I'm assuming most of the flying is being done at sea level and the effects of mile high flying is not being discussed. My question is:what must I crank into my thinking to accomadate altitude differences. Let's hear it from the pros with mile high experence.
Old 09-08-2006, 07:55 PM
almsy
Bit By The Bug

Slowdoc, as for the batteries LiPos are lighter in weight for power output than the NiMh and much more expensive. The slowstick can take the weight easily of the NiMh's so I'd stick with them. You will not be able to mount them in front of the wing on top, I don't think you would ever get the plane balanced. Nose heavy as it would be you would have to move the wing forward into the battery location. Hang them under the wing and adjust the wing fore or aft by moving the wing supports to get it to balance at location recommended on the wing.
I don't have mile high flying experience but I would think you might try a 12" prop and maybe an 8 cell battery that would spin the motor faster. I think if you keep it around 8 to 10amps you would be fine. Also a 2 cell Lipo at 7.4V won't help you, the motor would not have the rpm's needed and a 3 cell Lipo will burn up the motor in short order. That is why many go with cheap brushless setups.
Hope this helps a little
Old 09-08-2006, 10:06 PM
Slowdoc

Default Almsy- Battery location

Originally Posted by almsy View Post
Slowdoc, as for the batteries LiPos are lighter in weight for power output than the NiMh and much more expensive. The slowstick can take the weight easily of the NiMh's so I'd stick with them. You will not be able to mount them in front of the wing on top, I don't think you would ever get the plane balanced. Nose heavy as it would be you would have to move the wing forward into the battery location. Hang them under the wing and adjust the wing fore or aft by moving the wing supports to get it to balance at location recommended on the wing.
I don't have mile high flying experience but I would think you might try a 12" prop and maybe an 8 cell battery that would spin the motor faster. I think if you keep it around 8 to 10amps you would be fine. Also a 2 cell Lipo at 7.4V won't help you, the motor would not have the rpm's needed and a 3 cell Lipo will burn up the motor in short order. That is why many go with cheap brushless setups.
Hope this helps a little
Info was helful nut now have another few questions Will moving wing forward move CG forward? 2. what is good size battery for 300 6:6 gear box motor 7v Nimh 1200 mah at 8.4v? Won't 8 c at 9.6v pull too many amps?
Old 09-08-2006, 10:52 PM
ForestCam
Bad Influence

Originally Posted by almsy View Post
You will not be able to mount them in front of the wing on top, I don't think you would ever get the plane balanced. Nose heavy as it would be you would have to move the wing forward into the battery location.
...a 3 cell Lipo will burn up the motor in short order. That is why many go with cheap brushless setups.
Hope this helps a little
I run the exact setup you describe and it works just fine running a 9x4.7 prop @ 600' above sea level.
Old 09-10-2006, 01:38 AM
almsy
Bit By The Bug

Will moving wing forward move CG forward?
Moving the wing forward will shift weight toward the front which does move the CG forward. The CG is a point on the wing you need to have the plane balanced at. Moving the wing may help you some but it is the location of all items that affect the CG. Usally you may have to move the battery or servos to get the correct CG, shifting weight fore or aft. The leading edge of the wing on my SS is about 5" from the front end of the square tube, yours will probably end up within an inch either way of that too.

I use a 7cell 8.4v 750mah, the 1200mah you have will be fine, will give you longer flights. My elevation is around 700', I would guess 9.6V with your elevation would be fine. It would give you more rpm to get more power to help compensate for your higher elevation. Yes you are right, more rpm=more amps. I don't have experience setting up motors for a higher elevation, I'm just suggesting what I would try. I'm not sure what the 300 motor will handle on amps, but if you keep it under 9 to 10 I would think all will be fine. I actually have been flying mine with a 3cell lipo and the stock 1180 prop and 300 motor. The motor gets hot but I just want to see how long it will last. Really screams with 11.1 volts pushing it. I have brushless motors that will go on it after the brushed one dies. The 2410-12s I have has already been on it for a while couple months ago. Great fun flying with that power and stock prop too.