Off Topic Chit Chat Get to know other eflight modelers in the WattFlyer community here in this off topic forum. NO politics or religion discussion please (Holiday well wishes are ok)

College Football chat

Old 08-29-2007, 05:13 PM
Vol4Ever

Smile College Football chat

This thread is being born due to a conversation that accidentally got started on the humor board. Thanks to Voyager2lcats for the suggestion to move over here where our ongoing discussion makes more sense.

I'm new to this site, but have been flying RC off & on for over 15 years. Just bought my first electric which is what brought me here. You can probably tell who my favorite team is by my screenname & avatar!

For those of you who may be interested, there is a big group of us that play College Football Pick 'Em every year on ESPN's web site.

http://games.espn.go.com/cpickem/frontpage

Once you get logged in, you can find us here:

Group name: Volunteers
Password: 2007ncaa

Don't let the name scare you. We have fans from lots of different teams that participate. It's just those of us that actually set it up each year get to choose the name!

~Vol
Old 08-29-2007, 05:17 PM
Voyager2lcats
Friend Across the Water

Good job! We can start up again. Although I have to admit to liking hijacking Grasshopper's thread. We have a friendly rivalry going that is beyond silly. I can't even begin to describe how it came about. Check member list for FlyingMonkey. Wow, I can't even help hijacking this thread.
Now what were we saying?
Old 08-29-2007, 05:21 PM
Voyager2lcats
Friend Across the Water

Default Steve Superior

Spurrier is brilliant. I thought Lou Holtz was good, but I remember Spurrier WINNING at DUKE. Now those are two words that definitely do not go together in NCAA football. Even Spurrier is going to have to deal with the low expectations of his recruits- they seem to be able to snatch defeat from the jaws of victory unless he practically flogs them in public!
Old 08-29-2007, 05:22 PM
Vol4Ever

Actually, I think our current conversation was winding down. I may be sparse for the next little while. I spent my morning looking up the historical TN versus VA Tech, and TN versus South Carolina records. The 4 letter word called W-O-R-K has now caught up to me!!
Old 08-29-2007, 05:24 PM
Voyager2lcats
Friend Across the Water

No problem. I work the circulation and reference desk in an Army library, so I have a lot of available moments. Take care!
Old 08-29-2007, 05:50 PM
firemanbill
Community Moderator

Well I'll chime in here too then! I like any thread where I can talk about Tennessee Football, good season or not I'll always be a Vol Fan!

Born and raised in East Tennessee but the Air Force carried me away. Been living all over the world now for the last 26 years but my heart is still in Knoxville and always will be!

http://youtube.com/watch?v=sTj5cJJ-yiU

I can't take credit for that vid but I sure wish I could!
Old 08-29-2007, 06:16 PM
Voyager2lcats
Friend Across the Water

You're living in a good state now, buddy! Looks like a good year for the Hokies.
Old 08-29-2007, 07:35 PM
aviatordave
Super Contributor

What ? No Cyclone fans?

Old 08-29-2007, 08:20 PM
gfdengine204
Super Contributor

It's pointless, but who cares.....

GO ILLINI. I miss The Chief.
Old 08-29-2007, 08:34 PM
BUCKSHOT

HOW BOUT THEM DAWGS

S.E.C. ROCKS
Old 08-29-2007, 08:48 PM
Voyager2lcats
Friend Across the Water

Kev,

I think the Fighting Illini have one of the classiest looking logos in college sports, and it is a sad statement that some misguided, supposedly educated individuals found Chief Illiniwek offensive. It is sad.

Bob
Old 08-29-2007, 09:24 PM
gfdengine204
Super Contributor

Originally Posted by Voyager2lcats View Post
Kev,

I think the Fighting Illini have one of the classiest looking logos in college sports, and it is a sad statement that some misguided, supposedly educated individuals found Chief Illiniwek offensive. It is sad.

Bob
Bob,

I can't agree more. I am not an "alum", but during my middle and high school years, I spent 2-4 weeks of every summer there for music camp (Instruments are fun! See what you can do with a trumpet?) and love that campus. My father went there. Thats the only connection. That and I live in Illinois. But like you said, some egg-head feels it is offensive. Why is it any more offensive than Florida's Seminoles? I just don't get it.

Stupid NCAA.

Granted, I am more a college basketball fan, but if the Illini are playing, I'll enjoy sitting and watching. Especially now that my Packers are about done for another 35-40 years........
Old 08-29-2007, 09:35 PM
Lip84

I just want my Huskies to be good again My days in the Husky Marching Band were sad cuz we lost alot...

My sophomore year was the first time in 35 years we did not have a record better than .500 for the season. This year we get back to 500 after being crappy as all hell the last few. Just you wait...USC is going to topple sooner or later and the pac 10 will be shuffled up big time! We dont have a USC in washington...only a SUC!
Old 08-29-2007, 09:38 PM
gfdengine204
Super Contributor

Originally Posted by Lip84 View Post
I just want my Huskies to be god again My days in the Husky Marching Band were sad cuz we lost alot...
Lip,

You went to NIU (Northern Illinois University)? Wow.
Attached Thumbnails Click image for larger version

Name:	huskie.jpg
Views:	76
Size:	8.4 KB
ID:	39323  
Old 08-29-2007, 09:52 PM
Lip84

Originally Posted by gfdengine204 View Post
Lip,

You went to NIU (Northern Illinois University)? Wow.
Negatory...I went to the only real, true school that can lay claim the the Huskies name...the University of Washington! Booyea...(no offense to NIU...I will forever be a UW fan)
Old 08-29-2007, 10:00 PM
gfdengine204
Super Contributor

Originally Posted by Lip84 View Post
Negatory...I went to the only real, true school that can lay claim the the Huskies name...the University of Washington! Booyea...(no offense to NIU...I will forever be a UW fan)
I am sure my wife (a true NIU alum) takes no offense whatsoever.
Old 08-29-2007, 10:45 PM
firemanbill
Community Moderator

Originally Posted by Voyager2lcats View Post
You're living in a good state now, buddy! Looks like a good year for the Hokies.

The area we live in is about 50/50 VT/UVA. My daughter is a huge UVA fan... (breaks my heart) but hey, I can live with it.

I don't dislike the Hokies, I just don't have the ties to them that I do to the Vols!

You are right though, they look real promising this year.
Old 08-29-2007, 11:51 PM
Vol4Ever

I just want to know what a Hokie is.

"gfdengine204" - Sounds like yet another fireman in the group!
Old 08-29-2007, 11:52 PM
firemanbill
Community Moderator

When you find out let me know!

Oh and to answer your question from the other thread, Yes I am a firefighter. I'm a retired Truck Captain (Arthritis took care of that part of the career) and am now the Communications Division Chief for Emergency Services for Langley AFB
Old 08-30-2007, 12:00 AM
gfdengine204
Super Contributor

Originally Posted by Vol4Ever View Post
I just want to know what a Hokie is.

"gfdengine204" - Sounds like yet another fireman in the group!
Vol,

Yup, like Bill, I am also "retired", though I retired by moving out of my FD's district. I was a Paid-On-Call firefighter for a Chicago suburb, and also worked 5 years on a rural ambulance squad. My full time profession is also like Bill's: I am a police dispatcher, with 16 yrs on the Illinois State Police, and 2 yrs prior as a local county 911 dispatcher. I also spent 5 years as a First Responder and EMT instructor for ISP. Now, I do my 8 hrs in the comm center, then come home to my family and occasionally get to fly.

And, from the Virginia Tech website:

What Is a Hokie?

A Look at Virginia Tech Traditions

Here is the answer to that oft-posed question, "What's a Hokie?" and an explanation of other Tech traditions.
What is a Hokie? The origin of the word "Hokie" has nothing to do with a turkey. It was coined by O. M. Stull (class of 1896), who used it in a spirit yell he wrote for a competition.
Here's how that competition came to be held. Virginia Tech was founded in 1872 as a land-grant institution and was named Virginia Agricultural and Mechanical College. In 1896, the Virginia General Assembly officially changed the college's name to Virginia Agricultural and Mechanical College and Polytechnic Institute, a name so long that citizens shortened it in popular usage to VPI. The original college cheer, which made reference to the original name of the institution, was no longer suitable. Thus, a contest was held to select a new spirit yell, and Stull won the $5 top prize for his cheer, now known as Old Hokie:
Hoki, Hoki, Hoki, Hy.
Techs, Techs, V.P.I.
Sola-Rex, Sola-Rah.
Polytechs - Vir-gin-ia.
Rae, Ri, V.P.I.
Later, the phrase "Team! Team! Team!" was added at the end, and an "e" was added to "Hoki."
Stull later said that he made up the word as an attention-grabber. Though he may not have known it, "Hokie" (in its various forms) has been around at least since 1842. According to Johann Norstedt, now a retired Virginia Tech English professor, "[Hokie was] a word that people used to express feeling, approval, excitement, surprise. Hokie, then, is a word like 'hooray,' or 'yeah,' or 'rah.'" Whatever its original meaning, the word in the popular cheer did, as Stull wanted, grab attention and has been a part of Virginia Tech tradition ever since.
Attached Thumbnails Click image for larger version

Name:	hokie.jpg
Views:	66
Size:	3.5 KB
ID:	39327  
Old 08-30-2007, 12:05 AM
Voyager2lcats
Friend Across the Water

Kev, I don't think you were ignored on liking the Illini (much).

Vols4Ever, a Hokie is just a nonsense word a VPI & SU (Virginia Polytechnic Institute and State University) student wrote into the football fight song back in whenever. Our official mascot is- get ready- the Fighting Gobblers. So I'll take Hokies.
Old 08-30-2007, 12:07 AM
Voyager2lcats
Friend Across the Water

Kev,

Very nice! You beat me to the punch. Good job. Time for me to go home and kiss Mrs. Voyager.

Bob
Old 08-30-2007, 12:07 AM
Lip84

Fighting Gobblers!! Thats freakin awesome!
Old 08-30-2007, 12:10 AM
firemanbill
Community Moderator

so in other words we still don't know what a hokie is?!? Because it really isn't anything...

Ya know, that makes no sense what so ever...

At leat we know what a VOL is!
Old 08-30-2007, 12:27 AM
Lip84

Originally Posted by firemanbill View Post
so in other words we still don't know what a hokie is?!? Because it really isn't anything...

Ya know, that makes no sense what so ever...

At leat we know what a VOL is!

A VOL dont make a whole lotta sense either though...(and yes I know what a vol is)

Quick Reply: College Football chat

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service - Do Not Sell My Personal Information -

Copyright 2018 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.

Page generated in 0.12571 seconds with 15 queries