Wind Flying - WattFlyer RC Electric Flight Forums - Discuss radio control eflight

Off Topic Chit Chat Get to know other eflight modelers in the WattFlyer community here in this off topic forum. NO politics or religion discussion please (Holiday well wishes are ok)

Wind Flying

Old 07-10-2008, 03:52 AM
Liquidity
Combat Vet

Default Wind Flying

*steps on high horse*
I love it when people say they can fly their planes in XX mph winds. How many of these people have a wind gauge to measure wind speed?

I took a wind gauge to the field on day. It read 25mph. 25mph is pretty damn windy! I want to see people flying in that wind.

No need to post here and tell me you can fly in that wind all day long. I do not want to hear it. I would rather see it. Get a video of a wind gauge and you flying in it.

*steps off high horse*
Old 07-10-2008, 04:12 AM
Bub Steve
Super Contributor

Originally Posted by Liquidity View Post
*steps on high horse*
I love it when people say they can fly their planes in XX mph winds. How many of these people have a wind gauge to measure wind speed?

I took a wind gauge to the field on day. It read 25mph. 25mph is pretty damn windy! I want to see people flying in that wind.

No need to post here and tell me you can fly in that wind all day long. I do not want to hear it. I would rather see it. Get a video of a wind gauge and you flying in it.

*steps off high horse*
Wet-one::My Macho Bubs seem to think 5Mph=12 an 10 =25mph, My wind meters say 6-10 this Macho man sit in the soccer mom truck wait for it to lay down, bubsteve
Old 07-10-2008, 04:44 AM
ShutterAce
Do the Monkey with me!

Stand back! I have a wind gauge and I'm not afraid ti use it!

You do of course have a point. Estimating speed of an object you can see is hard enough. Just ask a cop.
Old 07-10-2008, 05:12 AM
Figure.N9ne
Super Contributor

i use usairnet and wunderground to give me a general idea. if it says 20 mph, and we have plastic chairs getting blown across the pit area, i believe them.
Old 07-10-2008, 02:46 PM
Lieutenant Loughead
UNCLUB OWNER

Originally Posted by Yaniel View Post
i use usairnet and wunderground to give me a general idea. if it says 20 mph, and we have plastic chairs getting blown across the pit area, i believe them.
I agree with this. I use USAIRNET, and call local weather "hotlines" to get my wind speed. If I have three sources that say the wind is 18 mph, I'll believe that without the need for an expensive wind meter.

I also have a windsock that I errect when flying -- but it doesn't really tell me the actual speed of the wind... Still, it's a great visual approximation.

For the record -- I'd throw my Stryker into your 25 mph wind... Send me your expensive wind meter, and I'll get some video.
Old 07-10-2008, 03:18 PM
Figure.N9ne
Super Contributor

Originally Posted by Lieutenant Loughead View Post
I agree with this. I use USAIRNET, and call local weather "hotlines" to get my wind speed. If I have three sources that say the wind is 18 mph, I'll believe that without the need for an expensive wind meter.

I also have a windsock that I errect when flying -- but it doesn't really tell me the actual speed of the wind... Still, it's a great visual approximation.

For the record -- I'd throw my Stryker into your 25 mph wind... Send me your expensive wind meter, and I'll get some video.

i've flown my stryker just before a tropical storm hit, when the wind bands where rolling through. that was quite a rush but the stryker did fine.
Old 07-10-2008, 10:45 AM
rcproptester
We the People...

I can fly in 45 mph winds......

On the simulator
Old 07-10-2008, 01:41 PM
Liquidity
Combat Vet

Originally Posted by rcproptester View Post
On the simulator
HAHAHA

When I do not have the wind gauge, I look at the top of the tree tops, if they are moving faster than I can run, I stay on the ground.

I am sitting on the porch as I type this; I think we just had a 50mph gust and a tropical depression is sitting next to me.

Ok I will stop with the sarcasim... or will I.
Old 07-10-2008, 02:41 PM
FlyingMonkey
Flite Test Fan

You create 45 mph winds.

I think you've started something here Bry, let's hope no one crashes their plane, and tries to sue you, because you "put them up to it"
Old 07-10-2008, 07:20 PM
rcproptester
We the People...

Originally Posted by FlyingMonkey View Post
You create 45 mph winds.
Your lips are moving but I can't HEAR you!!!!
Old 07-10-2008, 09:10 PM
FlyingMonkey
Flite Test Fan

Your lips are moving but I can't HEAR you!!!!
That's because I don't have the mic turned on....

here, let me fix that.

1,000,000,000 mph winds? Did the monkey bring them?
Old 07-10-2008, 03:33 PM
Lieutenant Loughead
UNCLUB OWNER

Awesome -- a Stryker in high wind is our common ground.
Old 07-10-2008, 04:15 PM
yank51
I'm a free radical...

Yeah, I've got enought expensive items in my flightbox now as it is..... don't need no wind gauge to decide if I'll fly or not..... (thought you already had a thread for things like this Bry??)
Old 07-10-2008, 04:47 PM
Mr. Baggins
Goofball

I ain't skeered I lived in Virginia area for 8 years and you had to fly in the wind or not at all. I of course used certain planes for those days. Wind is deceiving though and 10 mph sometimes feels like 25. A good steady unidirectional wind is sometimes a lot of fun.
Old 07-10-2008, 04:53 PM
Figure.N9ne
Super Contributor

almost anything can be flown in the wind, and since we havent had a calm day here in all of '08, i've put that to the test. i basically fly anything that flies faster than the wind is blowing. war birds, cubs, or deltas, they all go up and fly fine.
Old 07-10-2008, 04:58 PM
Alpea42
Parkjets Rule 3D Rocks

As far as light weight foamys go it aint the flying in the wind that's hard it's the LANDING
Old 07-10-2008, 05:05 PM
gzsfrk
Community Moderator

Originally Posted by Alpea42 View Post
As far as light weight foamys go it aint the flying in the wind that's hard it's the LANDING
Seconded. Or at least, that's the case when it's gusty and the wind is changing directions. If it's a stable, steady wind that keeps blowing in the same direction, it can actually make landing my little Yak-55 easier--just hover it right in front of me and grab it out of mid air.
Old 07-10-2008, 05:07 PM
gzsfrk
Community Moderator

Oh, and Liquidity--I can fly my Harbor Freight Yellow Bee through the funnel of a G5 tornado at 1/4 throttle.

Book it.
Old 07-10-2008, 05:10 PM
gzsfrk
Community Moderator

Oh, and one other thing--nice rule of thumb I read when I was first starting out--you can judge wind speed up to 10 mph using the ribbon on your antenna. If the wind blowing keeps the ribbon at a 45 degree angle to the antenna, then it's 5mph. If it pushes the ribbon out 90 degrees and holds it there, it's 10mph or higher.

Of course, I guess that rule somewhat depends on the weight and width of the ribbon on your antenna. But I still like that as a general rule.
Old 07-10-2008, 06:31 PM
FlyingMonkey
Flite Test Fan

how fast is the wind blowing when the tx is ripped from your hands?
Old 07-10-2008, 06:59 PM
gzsfrk
Community Moderator

Originally Posted by FlyingMonkey View Post
how fast is the wind blowing when the tx is ripped from your hands?
Probably over 150mph. But it doesn't seem that fast, because I'm following along behind in a hang glider.
Old 07-10-2008, 07:54 PM
Liquidity
Combat Vet

I just flew my Slow Stick in 1,000,000,000 mph winds.
Old 07-10-2008, 08:14 PM
redgiki

Yeah, I put up a Stryker and a balsa F-18 in 35MPH winds on the slope one day (anemometer at the slope). They flew fine, but bringing them down in that kind of wind is troublesome if it's gusty.

And yeah, a Stryker in 25+MPH winds is a hoot. Take it vertical and watch it blow away.
Old 07-10-2008, 08:58 PM
aviatordave
Super Contributor

Originally Posted by Liquidity View Post
*steps on high horse*

*steps off high horse*
Seems like alot of typing just to tell us you cant fly in any wind. I've witnessed your flying on the simulator. You are a terror to anything nearby.
Old 07-10-2008, 09:08 PM
Liquidity
Combat Vet

Get out of my thread Dave. I will get the Monkey to destory you

Quick Reply: Wind Flying

Contact Us Archive Advertising Cookie Policy Privacy Statement Terms of Service

Copyright 2018 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.

Page generated in 0.11960 seconds with 11 queries