Great little $20 brushless Turnigy C2830 1050kv - Page 3 - WattFlyer RC Electric Flight Forums - Discuss radio control eflight

Power Systems Talk about motors, ESC speed controllers, gear drives, propellers, power system simulators and all power system related topics

Great little $20 brushless Turnigy C2830 1050kv

Old 06-24-2008, 11:31 AM
marchino61

Chellie, are you sure about that? I measured the shaft with vernier calipers and found it just under 3mm, though it is hard to measure as it is threaded nearly all the way down.

The small TowerPro bell motors are specified as 3mm on the HobbyCity web site.
Old 06-24-2008, 03:22 PM
aero_k

I don't like the non-locking nuts that come with the Turnigy motor, so I put the nuts from my TowerPro motor on it and found they were a little loose and didn't really hold tight, so I think the Turnigy shaft is a little bit smaller than the Tower pro.
Old 06-25-2008, 04:17 AM
CHELLIE
Super Contributor

Originally Posted by marchino61 View Post
Chellie, are you sure about that? I measured the shaft with vernier calipers and found it just under 3mm, though it is hard to measure as it is threaded nearly all the way down.

The small TowerPro bell motors are specified as 3mm on the HobbyCity web site.
I have heard of other pilots buying the 3mm prop adapter for the towerpro motors, and they have been to small, and they had to drill them out a little, i use the 3.17mm and have not had any proplems with them, get both the 3mm and the 3.17 and try them for yourself, they are not that much money, but I use the 3.17, and they work great for me, measure the threads on the shaft, i bet they are 3.17mm and being a little bigger wont hurt anything, if the shaft is 3mm, and you can always drill out the 3mm prop saver if it wont fit, hope that helps, Chellie
Old 06-26-2008, 04:51 AM
telemaster

Did a few tests and at 5000ft above sea level here are the results:
9x4.7sf 10amps
10x3.8sf 13amps
10x4.7sf 15.5amps
10x5E 13amps
Old 07-05-2008, 06:02 PM
Sproket

I like those APC 10x5E props to.
Old 07-20-2008, 12:29 PM
Jarsalla

Originally Posted by telemaster View Post
Did a few tests and at 5000ft above sea level here are the results:
9x4.7sf 10amps
10x3.8sf 13amps
10x4.7sf 15.5amps
10x5E 13amps

Thanks for that info, unfortunately it came too late. I fried my turnigy 28-30-azj with 10x4,7. It flew for 5 mins then it puffed smoke. I really liked the thrust and speet that the 10x4.7 gave. What prop would have almost similiar performance but draws less amps?
Attached Thumbnails Click image for larger version

Name:	DSC01169.jpg
Views:	262
Size:	82.9 KB
ID:	73259  

Last edited by Jarsalla; 08-06-2008 at 09:18 AM.
Old 07-20-2008, 01:05 PM
Jarsalla

BTW, I live ~150ft above sea level and I wonder how much more amps I am drawing compared to 5000ft above sea level results.

Last edited by Jarsalla; 07-20-2008 at 01:25 PM.
Old 07-20-2008, 06:18 PM
CHELLIE
Super Contributor

Hi I finally burnt up a turnigy motor, but it lasted a long time with a 10 x 4.7 prop, I have dropped a to a 9x4.7 now on the 2830, and that seems to be working fine for me, hope that helps, Chellie
Old 07-20-2008, 06:53 PM
Jarsalla

Originally Posted by CHELLIE View Post
Hi I finally burnt up a turnigy motor, but it lasted a long time with a 10 x 4.7 prop, I have dropped a to a 9x4.7 now on the 2830, and that seems to be working fine for me, hope that helps, Chellie
Thanks for the info Chellie Hope I get a replacement this week. I wonder how many amps that is drawing
Old 07-20-2008, 09:00 PM
ministeve2003
Class Clown

I'll have to do some more tests to find out if the apc "E" props would do better with it... also need to check to see if the bell style handles the same...

AL made me burn one up after not telling me he put a 10x8 slowfly prop on it...Doah... oh well... I replaced it with a turnigy 2213 1050kv motor, its more power and feels better made... also Isn't much price difference...

http://www.hobbycity.com/hobbycity/s..._19A_Outrunner

SK
Old 08-01-2008, 12:31 AM
Pconn5

Well I just bought this motor and wanted to build a flying wing for it. I have 2 props at home and wanted to know if they will perform fine. I have an 8x6 prop that I want to use that I think should work ok and a 9x7 prop that I think is a little too much pitch but just wanted to see. I have a 9x4.7 prop coming on order since they didn't have any at the hobbyshop. I will be using a loong max 1000 mah 3 cell 15c lipo.
Old 08-01-2008, 03:49 AM
CHELLIE
Super Contributor

Originally Posted by Pconn5 View Post
Well I just bought this motor and wanted to build a flying wing for it. I have 2 props at home and wanted to know if they will perform fine. I have an 8x6 prop that I want to use that I think should work ok and a 9x7 prop that I think is a little too much pitch but just wanted to see. I have a 9x4.7 prop coming on order since they didn't have any at the hobbyshop. I will be using a loong max 1000 mah 3 cell 15c lipo.
Hi Pconn The 8x6 and 9x7 will be to much prop for that motor, you could cut the 8x6 prop, to a 6x6 that should work for you, the 9x7 will more than likely, burn up your motor, epoxy the wires at the back of the motor to the case, that will help to keep them from ever wanting to vibrate loose, I read that on wattflyers, Good luck with your flying wing, Take care, Chellie
Old 08-01-2008, 09:41 AM
Jarsalla

I've ordered 8x6, 9x4,7 both slow-flyer prop from HC. They should draw around 14 amps according to calculator, which is a bit too much in the long run.

I then bought APC-e 9x4,5 which should draw around 12,5 amps. much better.

These results were calculated at sea-level

I epoxied my wires aswell and you might want to consider epoxy and tighten the small hex-nuts (1,5mm) in the front and back aswell. My X-mount came just enough loose so that it could rotate and tear the wires off.
Old 08-02-2008, 01:15 PM
Pconn5

Well I went out and flew the delta I built with a cut down 8x6 prop to a 6x6 prop. First flight the cg was a little off and the plane just rolled into the ground. The second flight the plane flew pretty well and took off but was still out of control so I think the cg was still a little too far back. Overall I think this should be a success once I get the cg right. The only problem I am having is that the prop saver I am using that used to be on my TP motor isn't staying tight on the shaft of this motor. It keeps coming loose and rotating.

It was awesome to be able to build the plane and maiden it all in the same morning though. Thanks for the help.
Old 08-03-2008, 06:47 AM
CHELLIE
Super Contributor

Originally Posted by Pconn5 View Post
Well I went out and flew the delta I built with a cut down 8x6 prop to a 6x6 prop. First flight the cg was a little off and the plane just rolled into the ground. The second flight the plane flew pretty well and took off but was still out of control so I think the cg was still a little too far back. Overall I think this should be a success once I get the cg right. The only problem I am having is that the prop saver I am using that used to be on my TP motor isn't staying tight on the shaft of this motor. It keeps coming loose and rotating.

It was awesome to be able to build the plane and maiden it all in the same morning though. Thanks for the help.
Hi Pconn on the motor shaft, grind a small area flat on the motor shaft where the prop saver screws touch the shaft at, and use some red lock tight on the screws, that will help to keep the prop saver from wanting to spin on the motor shaft, Hope that helps, Chellie
Old 08-05-2008, 02:38 PM
aero_k

Okay, something's up with my motor...

I was flying my 2830 (bell-type) on a 10x4.7 and 3s 800mah for about 3 minutes, then the motor just quit. I still had control, just no motor. When I tried it on the ground, the motor makes a funny noise and stutters, but doesn't turn. Anyone know whats happening here? I haven't had a chance to try out a new ESC on it yet.

Thanks!
Old 08-05-2008, 04:44 PM
ministeve2003
Class Clown

Originally Posted by aero_k View Post
Okay, something's up with my motor...

I was flying my 2830 (bell-type) on a 10x4.7 and 3s 800mah for about 3 minutes, then the motor just quit. I still had control, just no motor. When I tried it on the ground, the motor makes a funny noise and stutters, but doesn't turn. Anyone know whats happening here? I haven't had a chance to try out a new ESC on it yet.

Thanks!
sorry to hear that... I tell eveyone not to push that motor past a 9x47 on 3cell, unless they don't go full throttle for more than about 30 seconds... my guess is you've done the same thing to your motor as my buddy has.... heated it up too much, prob burning something out, or twisting the wires inside....

It usually doesn't burn up on one flight... it will usually burn up on 2 back to back flights when it hasn't had time to cool off....

SK
Old 08-05-2008, 08:28 PM
aero_k

I don't think it was a heat issue. I wasn't pushing it very hard, and I didn't notice that it was hot after it cut out. It still moves a little, so its not completely fried. Maybe its my ESC?
Old 08-05-2008, 08:49 PM
ministeve2003
Class Clown

my guess it esc is fine...

Ray (wrench66) said that is usually because they heat up too much and the clip or bell slides and twists the wires, if I remember correctly he said he opens them up and seperates the wires and puts a dab of epoxy to prevent that in the future...

I have a couple of these motors that have been pushed to 10x47 and 11x47 and they ended up doing that within 2 flights....

I keep meaning to have Ray look at them....

SK
Old 08-05-2008, 10:46 PM
Wrench66
Ya' need to use mo rudda!

Steve's correct.....the majority of the "wounded" motors I have looked at from his mountainous collection (per AL hehehe) have been overheated to the point that either:
1. The lead wire gets so hot that it melts the insulation away and then shorts itself to the chassis.
2. The windings themselves get hot enough in the core of the stator to melt the isulation....shorting to themselves and maybe hurting the ESC in the process (huge amp pull at that split sec).
3. The stator rotates on the mounts and pulls the wires away from their solder leads.

In short, any motor that puts out the kinda of HP these little buggers do, considering their lightweight, won't take much overcooking before something lets go.....bigtime. Back in my 1/12th scale carpet car days (20yrs!!) we didn't see much in the way of absolute meltdowns like we're discussing......maybe a burned commutator or glazed brushes if you overgeared for the track, easy fixes and you're back at it. Once in a while you'd hear of someone tossing a wind and ruining an armeture but not often......usually just minor stuff.

Anyway (enough nostalgia, planes are soooo much more fun) no matter what the website may say, run your own tests and see what real-world numbers your equip draws.

Ray

PM comin at ya Steve
Old 08-06-2008, 03:58 AM
CHELLIE
Super Contributor

I don't think it was a heat issue. I wasn't pushing it very hard, and I didn't notice that it was hot after it cut out. It still moves a little, so its not completely fried. Maybe its my ESC?
It might be a loose or broken wire at the connection between the esc and motor, at the solder joint, happened to me once, the wires are a little thin and brittle, try to pull the wire apart at the bullet connections, hope that helps, Chellie
Old 08-07-2008, 03:05 PM
aero_k

Problem solved!

I was removing the motor from my plane (Rhythm bipe) and disconnecting the bullet connectors when I noticed one of the bullet connectors can fallen off the motor wire. I couldn't tell that it had fallen off because it was still being held in place. I simply re-soldered it on and it works fine!
Old 08-07-2008, 04:27 PM
ministeve2003
Class Clown

Problem solved!

I was removing the motor from my plane (Rhythm bipe) and disconnecting the bullet connectors when I noticed one of the bullet connectors can fallen off the motor wire. I couldn't tell that it had fallen off because it was still being held in place. I simply re-soldered it on and it works fine!
Cool, Very Lucky....LOL
SK
Old 08-08-2008, 03:05 AM
CHELLIE
Super Contributor

It might be a loose or broken wire at the connection between the esc and motor, at the solder joint, happened to me once, the wires are a little thin and brittle, try to pull the wire apart at the bullet connections, hope that helps, Chellie
Problem solved!

See, Chellie Knows her SHEET
Old 08-08-2008, 03:15 AM
Bub Steve
Super Contributor

See, Chellie Knows her SHEET
aero_k::As my favorite Bub'ett's 3 Sheets in the wind most the time anyway's, your bub, steve
Attached Thumbnails Click image for larger version

Name:	petty an red 682.jpg
Views:	206
Size:	191.6 KB
ID:	74772  

Quick Reply: Great little $20 brushless Turnigy C2830 1050kv

Contact Us Archive Advertising Cookie Policy Privacy Statement Terms of Service

Copyright 2018 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.

Page generated in 0.10538 seconds with 15 queries