Phoenix 2000 - Page 2 - WattFlyer RC Electric Flight Forums - Discuss radio control eflight

Hi-Performance and Sailplanes RC hotliners, electric pylon racers, F5B, F5D, sailplanes and gliders

Phoenix 2000

Old 06-11-2012, 03:32 AM
Rockin Robbins
Super Contributor

Wonder if I'd be stepping out of line to suggest a Radian? Naw! You can't fly the Radian in that kind of wind either and enjoy it. I think you need a faster plane. If you want to stay in gliders a warmliner would be good in that kind of wind.

But you might just be happier with a powered plane. Large wingspans really catch that wind and you have to be on your toes. As you said, stalling in turns is very possible when you lose touch with your airspeed, where in a powered situation you'd be going faster anyway and have a larger safety margin there.
Old 06-12-2012, 07:20 PM
TM4197
Dope&Fabric

"SHHH my wife does not know yet and I plan to tell her it is a gift to myself for my recent promotion at work"

Looks like your due another promotion!!
Old 06-13-2012, 02:34 PM
Fishbonez
Love my Stinger

Originally Posted by TM4197 View Post
"SHHH my wife does not know yet and I plan to tell her it is a gift to myself for my recent promotion at work"

Looks like your due another promotion!!
LOL that is so true

I have decided I am going to repurchase this plane however I am going to wait until it is in the US warehouse. The shipping from the Int warehouse is almost half the cost of the plane and I can not justify it without another promotion
Old 06-13-2012, 05:05 PM
dahawk
Super Contributor

Gosh Fish,

What will you be flying when you make Full Bird Col ? Sorry to hear about Phoenix. I have a hard enough time with neck strain to follow those sailplanes around teasing the hawks. You have a lot of variety to play with and I'm sure your other planes keep you very busy.

-Hawk
Old 06-13-2012, 07:04 PM
Fishbonez
Love my Stinger

Originally Posted by dahawk View Post
Gosh Fish,

What will you be flying when you make Full Bird Col ? Sorry to hear about Phoenix. I have a hard enough time with neck strain to follow those sailplanes around teasing the hawks. You have a lot of variety to play with and I'm sure your other planes keep you very busy.

-Hawk
Full Bird Whoa no way!!! I work for a living ! I still believe the that PHX2k is a good sail plane but I may not be the best of pilot for the PHX2K. I think it has a lot to do with the learning curve. I must remember that I stalled the plane. The plane didn't just decide I think I will make Fishes blood pressure rise on its own So I am going to give it another try and we will see if sailing is for me
Old 07-23-2012, 03:22 PM
Fishbonez
Love my Stinger

OK finally PH2k arrived at the US warehouse and I quickly pulled the trigger. I want to give this another try now the waiting game
Old 07-26-2012, 12:29 AM
Rockin Robbins
Super Contributor

Based on your wind conditions I think you made the right choice. Takes guts to go right back to the plane that "bit" you. Good on ya Fishbonez!
Old 07-26-2012, 01:09 AM
Fishbonez
Love my Stinger

Well as you know I don't like to lose so may this one last far longer than its predecessor

Last edited by Fishbonez; 08-18-2012 at 07:38 PM.
Old 08-18-2012, 07:39 PM
Fishbonez
Love my Stinger

Default Continued success

Flew the PHX2K today.and she flew rather well. I do have some orientation problems with her due to her slim build and my lousy eyes but I think she is ready for me to put an 808 cam on her and see what kinda views we can get. I just not sure whe I wish to mount it. I need some practice getting her into thermals and staying in them. Seemed alot easier with the former model but who knows. I think I will continue to enjoy this model. One of the things I like about this plane is the whistling she does when she flies on by sounds pretty cool.
Old 09-09-2012, 10:20 AM
Fishbonez
Love my Stinger

Had a good time today with phoenix

[media]http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=OdHJWEtu_oY&feature=channel&list=UL[/media]

and

[media]http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=ljPwxRN5taE&feature=channel&list=UL[/media]
Old 09-09-2012, 10:45 PM
CrimzonRider
Fastest PropHead Crasher

Great Flying vids Fish and as always great suspenseful tuneage!

have a good one
cr
Old 09-10-2012, 04:17 AM
Fishbonez
Love my Stinger

Thanks CR
I am enjoying this glider my neck on the other hand wwll....
Old 09-10-2012, 03:20 PM
Fishbonez
Love my Stinger

Default Yesterday

Just another video of yesterdays flying. The wind was 10-15 perfect for sailplanes her in Wyoming but staying in the thermal can be quite the challenge to be sure. So we decided just to glide downdwind to see if we could push the envelope a bit. The video is long and the songs that are with it just happened to be on the radio while I was flying so it made 13 mins seem very fast. The phx2k really enjoys 3s 2200mah and balances well with no nose wieght after trying 1800mah which are signaficantly lighter the plane wanted to fly me which as we all know is bad mojo Anywho enjoy yea its long but it is becoming a fun and durable plane. CRAP just jinxed it
[media]http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=84v5akSNPVE[/media]
Old 07-10-2013, 04:32 AM
Fishbonez
Love my Stinger

Thumbs down Rip phx2k

Ok I have decided that I no longer like this plane and do not recommend it to anyone her is why of course this is only one mans opinion and you can take it for what it is worth.

First of all let me point out the what I think is good about the model.
1. Fuselage is tough and sturdy (imean its a type of plastic. You cant break it)
2. The ESC. Contrary to what others have said in the past I never had any problem with the ESC burning up or anything similar to what has been said. Just fine in my opinion.
3. the motor and blades. Put simply as often as this plane has crashed. Into trees, darted into the ground and like today came straight down from 1000 feet at probably 50+ MPH. The motor has always functioned, blades in tact and never had to use the spare blades that came with the model.

Now lets talk about why I think this plane is bad
1. Transportable not in the least bit. The wing is just to long. You can remove it from the fuse but the wing can not be split. I drive a truck with a 6 foot bed and it just barely fits length wise. If you leave the model assembled .
its pretty much the only model you are going to take safely. When I get to the flying field can take up to 15-20 mins to get this bird ready to fly. For an electric pilot that flies in an area where the weather changes at a drop of a hat. This is a lot of time wasted.
2. This model stalls very easily and the only way to pull out of stall, that I am aware of, is with a lot of power and in my opinion the power and the elevator is not enough to pull out. An example I would use is the plane was at approximately 1000 feet when she stalled. Unsure if it was a tip stall or what a stall none the less. She went straight down and with full power and no elevator to pull up with well you can guess what happened. (admittedly might be pilot skill)
3. This plane does not handle wind well, yep I said it, again some I am sure is pilot skills however in 15-20mph winds she is tossed around like a rag doll in a tornado. Requires plenty of adjustment just to keep this plane from stalling. In theory this plane should love the wind a glider right. Well in my opinion it stinks in comparison to other gliders I have seen.

All in all if you want a glider that requires constant attention from the moment you leave your home to the time when you return. Then this plane is for you. Me I have spent more time adjusting repairing and trying again then I have had flying/soaring it or gliding it. If you are in the market for a glider as a beginner or intermediate glider pilot in my opinion this is not the glider for you. I will attempt and will fix this plane again and it will fly again but I am definitely in no hurry to make it happen and I will constantly be reminded of the money and time wasted wishing I had made a better choice of models.
Old 07-17-2013, 07:57 PM
Rockin Robbins
Super Contributor

Thanx Fishbones! Hearing your impressions after living with the plane for a long time is a review that I trust. Your pain is our gain. Thanks again for telling us what you think of the plane.
Old 07-19-2013, 04:55 AM
Fishbonez
Love my Stinger

No problem some planes no matter how hard you try they just dont pan out. I had some good times with her but wont miss her. I was going to fix it but decided it was just not worth the time rater than time to move on so, I just pulled the trigger on the sonic 185 hoping that plane is more to my liking. Keeping my fingers crossed
Old 09-03-2013, 01:11 PM
Craig Mckinley

Interesting p2000 adventures. I have had been flying my one for about 6 months now. Never crashed it but I did change out the esc as a precaution. It surprises me that you have had stalling issues, I have never experienced any stalls. However every aircraft has its limits and 15 to 20 mph wind is quite extreme, I would not fly in those conditions. Yes the wing separation is an issue but this is where the China pricing and quality kicks in. Nothing that cant be moded away. Happy landings.
Old 09-04-2013, 03:41 AM
Fishbonez
Love my Stinger

Originally Posted by Craig Mckinley View Post
Interesting p2000 adventures. I have had been flying my one for about 6 months now. Never crashed it but I did change out the esc as a precaution. It surprises me that you have had stalling issues, I have never experienced any stalls. However every aircraft has its limits and 15 to 20 mph wind is quite extreme, I would not fly in those conditions. Yes the wing separation is an issue but this is where the China pricing and quality kicks in. Nothing that cant be moded away. Happy landings.
Cool Craig I am glad you are enjoying it. This plane has a lot of advantages. I just spent more time dealing with the disadvantages, putting it together and repairing it than flying it. I will one day try sailplanes again but not any time soon
Old 09-11-2013, 06:17 PM
bluzjamer

I have one of these still in the box. I do like big gliders but I lost my EBot. Had a 3 piece wing so it was transportable. Have a vista with a one piece wing, flys and goes together good. No ailerons. Fish try a Bixler 1 or 2. Use the 2200 mah in the wind and 1800 on calm days. You can crash it but hard to destroy it. I still make stupid mistakes myself after 4 years of returning to RC. If your neck is hurting your flying overhead too much. Fly them away from you, gives your neck a rest. My neck , my back, and my hips go into spasm whenever I stand out there too long. I'm so glad there are EP sailplanes as I could never lay out a high start, can't do the walk. Every flight I try to land close to me. I fly mostly on low rates and if I need more I kick it up to medium rates. I never fly at 100% control surface. It seems to help, what doesn't is when I forget to set the low rates and try to fly on high as I do on low. I think that is how the BOT saw its end. I won't give up on gliders, I like them too much.
Old 07-03-2014, 06:21 AM
axljackass

Phoenix 2000 or Great Planes Spirit which one is better in terms of gliding?thanks
Old 07-03-2014, 10:07 PM
Fishbonez
Love my Stinger

Originally Posted by axljackass View Post
Phoenix 2000 or Great Planes Spirit which one is better in terms of gliding?thanks
Well since I never owned a Great Planes Spirit. I could not tell ya which one glided better than the other
Old 02-21-2015, 02:16 AM
Evan108

Build Review Motor Help?

I am having a problem with the engine on this sailplane, and i need a little help.The plane works fine but it just beeps in a seemingly random pattern for 1-1.5 min. really confusing. otherwise i have adjusted all the servos, and if i had a mountain, i would be cool flying it and landing at the bottom, but the motor does not work! Help!

Thanks, Evan
Old 02-21-2015, 05:16 AM
Evan108

Default Also...

The Plane works fine, minus engine. sorry for not making that clear in my last post
-Evan
Old 02-21-2015, 03:07 PM
Fishbonez
Love my Stinger

Definitely sounds like an ESC problem. Possibly in program mode. Have you set the throttle limits, prop break etc?

Just a side note, I have since retired this plane to file 13 so... I may not be a whole lot of help
Old 02-24-2015, 12:33 AM
Evan108

Default Thanks

I will check the ESC. Thanks FishBonez
-Evan

Quick Reply: Phoenix 2000

Contact Us Archive Advertising Cookie Policy Privacy Statement Terms of Service

Copyright 2018 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.

Page generated in 0.14759 seconds with 13 queries