When its ok to go cheap - WattFlyer RC Electric Flight Forums - Discuss radio control eflight

Beginners - Helis A forum where beginners can get help on the fundamentals for experts who know their stuff!

When its ok to go cheap

Old 10-30-2006, 12:53 AM
comets8518

Default When its ok to go cheap

What I know.

Gyro = quality..gy410 (and a few others)

Stay away from walkera electronics.

What I don't know.

Heli kit = Are the clone frames just as good, as long as you add on all your own electronics
EX) MX-400, http://www.nitroplanes.com/hearfelrarec.html , http://www.nitroplanes.com/blha3dproarf.html, etc.
Old 10-30-2006, 01:30 AM
watt_the?!
Super Contributor

theres alot of good stuff that is cheap. watch asian videos of helis and planes and you'll find it difficult to see a brand name component.

the walkera gyro is excellent. generalisation is not a good rule for E RC. Some products come out in bad batches- like the V1 Blue Bird servos....their latest stuff is great.

other stuff can be one off failures or user error and they get blamed for being of poor quality.

one of the biggest contributors to the RC myths is the perception of quality from the name brands. many are just simply underspecced. So they cost more, perform well at stated applications also.

just make sure that if you get a cheap product, check to see if you can take it back for replacement if it fails. if they wont, then dont buy it. you'll be surprised because even some of the big players wont replace items that are faulty.

Tim
Old 10-30-2006, 01:36 AM
darkside212
Super Contributor

I'll second Tim...I used to own a walkera 35 and it was a much better machine compared to the shogun v1
Old 10-30-2006, 01:47 AM
comets8518

thanks guys.

I'm trying to get into helicopters and the options, prices, opinions get pretty overwhelming quickly.
I don't mind spending for quality, but I love great deals.
I'm still using the bp-21's I bought from darkside and loving them.
Old 10-30-2006, 04:01 AM
RUSH

Yeah it sucks that everybody has a different opinion. That's primarily because not everybody can try every different component or heli, so it's all based on what their experience has been. In fact, if someone gets a bad servo, for instance, they may say that that brand is junk - but that's only one data point which is worthless.

Here's my advise, for what it's worth: go to the LHS or local flying field and see what the local fliers are using for both helis and components. Then, at least you know you have a good chance of getting decent quality stuff if you go with what the majority are using. Also the locals can help you with setting it all up and troubleshooting problems since they know the stuff. And it's good to get a heli that local stores carry parts for, so when you crash, you can get up and running again quickly.

Analysis-paralysis is no fun, I do it myself. You just have to make a decision at some point and live with it. After all, it's all about having fun and there are plenty of products out there that work well.
Old 10-30-2006, 04:52 AM
comets8518

*warning, that kinda turned into a rant- summary - I feel like lhs should be a place like cheers. everyone knows your name *

Rush,
Thanks for reading all my posts, definately good advice.
I really appreciate the help and not hearing "you should use the search feature" (because I already have a lot)
I'm trying to absorb as much about heli's as I can and unfortunately I try to absorb too quickly. The fact is the local clubs are 45 minutes away on a good day, and unfortunately I don't feel like the local stores that I've been to treat me near as nice as I think as I should be. The other day I tried to give a LHS my old airplanes to give away to young customers in need, and well they weren't terribly receptive, so they went on rcgroups.
Every online place I've ordered from that posted on the forums (darkside, superfly, lightflight...and others) have all been extremely great and I like giving them repeat business. But I think I'm going to have to bite the bullet
and try a new store kinda far from my house call aero hobbies; judging by their website should be a much more like what I'm looking for in a lhs. Then later I can buy upgrades and more stuff from paul or others, I don't know..so much to think about haha, and I can't neglect my planes.
Old 10-30-2006, 05:15 AM
nogassershere
DONE AND DONE

Comet how bout aero hobbies web site link
Old 10-30-2006, 07:20 AM
RUSH

I hear ya on the crabby hobby shop personnel. But the reality is that most hobby shops I've been in are like that - at first. Once they get to know you, sometimes they will open up and be more receptive, especially if you talk to them about stuff that interests them. Another thing you should realise is that the LHS is in business to make a profit, and most are operating on very slim margins these days thanks to the internet; so your offer of the planes, while very generous, would be a loss of income for them - airplanes they would have sold instead of given away.

Your mileage may vary, but I've found the heli people around here to be much nicer and helpful than the plankers. I was actually floored by that when I first got into helis - I mean this is Los Angeles, home of the selfish! I know I get sick of answering the clueless onlookers about how high it can go and how much it costs, but if someone comes by that actually has an intererest and has been studying up, I'll gladly spend hours talking to them. A lot of the guys around here are like that too. So, maybe the 45 minute drive would be worth a try for you.

Also if you post where you are located, maybe people on here can help you out with a good LHS or flying field.

EDITED to say: I'm not trying to pass you off somewhere else for your help - I'm thinking it might come accross like that - but that it's much easier to have people local to help out with a heli before you fly for the first time. For example, one of the big problems with helis is that you need to know how to fly one in order to trim it, and trying to fly an untrimmed heli for a beginner is a nightmare - a real catch 22 that I'm sure has claimed many a heli beginner.

Last edited by RUSH; 10-30-2006 at 07:30 AM. Reason: Added statement
Old 10-30-2006, 12:39 PM
darkside212
Super Contributor

Just take your time...the most valuable "tool" is patience and if you don't have it...stick with planes :P
Old 10-30-2006, 05:43 PM
comets8518

I have a friend that flies nitro heli's, he works 2 seconds from my house. He's the one that got me into planes.
You're right, they get nicer w/ the more money you spend and I probably look like a punk

The planes I was giving away were old and needed someone poor to love them, someone that couldn't afford new ones anyway. I've also noticed the workers at hobby stores kinda look down on electrics. I had questions about glassing a foamy and he laughed telling me why that was a stupid idea.

the website is http://www.aerohobbies.com/ I think this place is the ticket except they close at 6, I work till 6 and its an hour from work but a weekend will work. He holds heli classes and helps with set up. He also looks like the guy that would gladly talk for hours to someone really interested.

I work at UT southwestern, inwood/35. I live just south of plano, very north dallas.
Old 10-31-2006, 01:50 AM
Twmaster

Just to throw my two bits in the pot it's ok to go cheap. Providing the product you are looking at is suitable for the job intended. I've always hated those guys who stand there and blather on about how they will only ever fly <insert brand name here> because it is the best. Horse hooey in my opinion.

There are loads of good cheap stuff on the market. The SK400XT that Hobby-Lobby sells is a prime example. They were selling that motor for $17 at one point. Couple that with a $15 Chinese ESC and you have a great motor set IMHO. And it costs less than just the motor for a similar sized AXi.

Also, as pointed out single data points are kinda useless.

And one more thing. Yes Walkera had some issues with their electronics but they seem to have some great stuff at good pricing on the market today.

EOR

(end of rant)

Old 11-01-2006, 07:43 PM
Inseminator

All very good advise, in fact this is some of the best stuff I have seen. Exactly what darkside said, please take your time it is the best thing to do, I took about 4 months before deciding which heli to get. I opted for the X400 from RC Expert, really good guys. For $450.00 usd I got everything exept radio. It flies really good

Learn all you can

Regards
Old 11-01-2006, 07:51 PM
comets8518

I'm trying. I've definately seen all the deals. x-400, trex, shogun, and clones.

I should post again w/ a different topic but I'll start it here and maybe move it over. Does anybody have good websites for learning how to set up a heli, tune it, check pitches, set up gyro, set up radio's (not the exact key strokes just the general programs).
I've seen Radd's school of rotary flight which I think I will follow for the flying part. He's got some set up, mainly geared towards the eco.

I like the learning process just need to know good sources to learn from.

i just found helifever.com which looks good, and Finless videos that set up different heli's but i imagine a lot of the info carries over. I'm going to start a new thread. Thanks for the help guys

Last edited by comets8518; 11-01-2006 at 08:26 PM. Reason: added more
Old 11-01-2006, 08:31 PM
darkside212
Super Contributor

google RADD most guys are having great luck with that method

Also try www.helifreak.com