Maiden Flight - WattFlyer RC Electric Flight Forums - Discuss radio control eflight

Beginners New to e-power flying? Get the low down in here from experienced e-power RC pilots!

Maiden Flight

Old 07-19-2007, 04:16 AM
Nightmenace

Default Maiden Flight

Hello all, I purchased the hobbico skyfly a week a go and got her out this weekend. I put her together with out any problems and took her to an abandoned road for take gave her full throttle and up she went did some basic circles , up and down on the elavation and some basic turing. Brought her in for a landing she came in a little fast and hard but no damage. Then i did a hand launch did same same as before except i landed her in the weeds .Any advice you all could give me would be greatly appreciated. This hobby is ADDICTING !!!!!!!!!!!!
Old 07-19-2007, 05:59 AM
Rabbitcreekok
Community Moderator

Hello nightmenance and welcome to WattFlyer. congratulations on your successful flights. I would suggest you go to the beginners forum, there is a wealth of information there.

First thing to remember, don't fly in windy conditions until you feel more comfortable. The wind will take over our lighter planes, no matter what we do, if it is windy. Windy being 5 mph or more. As you gain experience, you will be able to handle more winds, but there is a limit as to what a given airplane can handle.

When you fly, don't dust burn up the sky. For part of the flight, have a plan to accomplish certain maneuvers and practice them.

Hope this helps.
Old 07-19-2007, 01:18 PM
Leo L

Read the following "sticky" posted on RCGroups: http://www.rcgroups.com/forums/showthread.php?t=355208

It will give you all of the information that you need, and then some. After you have read it, if you have specific questions, we will be glad to help you out. Jim is absolutely correct when he says not to fly in windy conditions. Let me add that you need to stay far away from trees: they are very hungry and love to reach out and grab planes. Also, fly at least 150-200ft up so that you have plenty of time to recover from any mistakes. Altitude is your plane's best friend, the ground is its worst enemy.
Old 07-30-2007, 06:04 PM
rgfitz

Default Skyfly first flight

I will post here instead of starting a new thread.

After frying a transistor in the HobbyZone Phantom I have been flying, reluctantly because HobbyZone sent it as a replacement for a Firebird Scout I returned under warranty, I took a used Hobbico Skyfly out of the store room where it has been since I bought it mid-May on ebay. I wanted to get very comfortable flying the Phantom before trying the Skyfly.

Well the first flight, without wheels, beginner mode, went very well. With the plane trimmed with about 1/32 in up elevator the first launch into almost no wind ended up in the soccer field grass. The second heftier launch with about 1/16 in up elevator went fine but there was a fairly pronounced right turn. I trimmed it almost out with the transmitter trim, landed the plane fine and adjusted the rudder for about 1/16 in left turn.

The third launch went fine and the plane flew very well...exactly what I hoped a RC model would do for a beginner. The transmitter is much nicer than the ones that came with my Firebird Outlaw, Scout, and Phantom.

This plane certainly can gain altitude fast and cruise around the sky with a very low throttle setting. Also, it doesn't jump like a scared cat whenever I use the elevator.

I did a couple of nearly touch and go landings and was bringing it around to land on the soccer field when the battery died. It landed perfectly in the cow pasture about 150 ft from where I was standing. I had forgotten to time it with my stop watch as usual. I suppose it flew 10-15 min but I am not sure.

What a nice plane!
Old 08-01-2007, 03:38 PM
rgfitz

Default Skyfly flight time

Originally Posted by rgfitz View Post
I will post here instead of starting a new thread.

After frying a transistor in the HobbyZone Phantom I have been flying, reluctantly because HobbyZone sent it as a replacement for a Firebird Scout I returned under warranty, I took a used Hobbico Skyfly out of the store room where it has been since I bought it mid-May on ebay. I wanted to get very comfortable flying the Phantom before trying the Skyfly.

Well the first flight, without wheels, beginner mode, went very well. With the plane trimmed with about 1/32 in up elevator the first launch into almost no wind ended up in the soccer field grass. The second heftier launch with about 1/16 in up elevator went fine but there was a fairly pronounced right turn. I trimmed it almost out with the transmitter trim, landed the plane fine and adjusted the rudder for about 1/16 in left turn.

The third launch went fine and the plane flew very well...exactly what I hoped a RC model would do for a beginner. The transmitter is much nicer than the ones that came with my Firebird Outlaw, Scout, and Phantom.

This plane certainly can gain altitude fast and cruise around the sky with a very low throttle setting. Also, it doesn't jump like a scared cat whenever I use the elevator.

I did a couple of nearly touch and go landings and was bringing it around to land on the soccer field when the battery died. It landed perfectly in the cow pasture about 150 ft from where I was standing. I had forgotten to time it with my stop watch as usual. I suppose it flew 10-15 min but I am not sure.

What a nice plane!
I flew the Skyfly under control about 90% of the time this morning and made a perfect landing. Flight time was almost exactly 9 min. I landed a little after 8 min and then ran the motor until it quit.