"Crash Proof" Landing Gear Mod for Blade CP? - WattFlyer RC Electric Flight Forums - Discuss radio control eflight

E-Flite Helicopters Discuss E-Flite helicopters in this forum such as the Blade CX, Blade CX2, Blade CP Pro and all other E-Flite rc helis.

"Crash Proof" Landing Gear Mod for Blade CP?

Old 10-24-2007, 12:00 AM
scrappy

Default "Crash Proof" Landing Gear Mod for Blade CP?

I posted this message here: http://runryder.com/helicopter/t382098p1/ but thought folks on wattflyer might have some experience with this as well.

================

I'm a beginner rc heli fanatic, who got sucked into the hobby when my step dad upgraded to the TREX and gave me his heavily used BladeCP. Now it is all I think about.

Even though I'm pretty cautious... accidents happen. So right now, the name of the game for me is modding to lower the cost of repairs. Once I'm confident then I may move onto modding for performance. Along these lines I'd been experimenting with using thick gauge wire as a way to create a non-rigid (and therefore non-breakable) landing gear so that on a rough landing, the landing gear "crumples". This could have two benefits [1] you can bend the landing gear to repair it and [2] the force of the crash is absorbed by the "crumpling" of the landing gear. Looking at this from the opposite perspective.. if you somehow made invincible landing gear out of an awesome unbreakable but rigid material then your landing gear might never break but the force of the crash might cause something else to break.

I finally put together something that seems to work and I'm wondering if anyone else has tried this or if it might be useful for others or what other people think. You can check it out here:

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=NpVfLedkRkE

This wire probably adds a little weight so again if you're a performance oriented modder.. probably not for you... but I flew a couple flights today and it didn't seem to affect my heli (keep in mind I'm a beginner...) it was great...

Let me know what you think.

Steven
Old 10-24-2007, 04:32 AM
theecoop

Great Idea,Also seems to work great. I had put the Superskids on mine and never had an issue with landing gear breaking on a hard landing after that.
Old 10-25-2007, 07:41 AM
scrappy

theecoop, thanks for the suggestion. After watching my vid a couple folks recommended that I take a look at my heli's balance, so I put on a new set of blades which seems to help:

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=l10LtOUPtqI

Steven